• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony were to host an event in the coming weeks, how much time would it take for them to plan something like that? If there was an event coming up I'd be surprised because it's been so quiet besides Klee mentioning Feb. Did Jason mention Feb as well?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah nah, no ad. 3rd quarter about to start. Sorry guys.

Think this was a missed opportunity for Xbox, hopefully both parties open the floodgates soon.

I think it'd be smarter to spend that marketing $ in territories where they need more eyes on the brand instead. They'll be ok in the US without a Super Bowl ad. It's Europe they need to gain market and mind share in.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
If Sony were to host an event in the coming weeks, how much time would it take for them to plan something like that? If there was an event coming up I'd be surprised because it's been so quiet besides Klee mentioning Feb. Did Jason mention Feb as well?

Plan it? If there's an event in the coming weeks then it's been planned for a long time now. Then it's just a matter of sending out invites to the press with enough advance warning for them to reasonably make arrangements to attend and we're good to go.

Klee mentioned Feb publicly in a post, and then mentioned end of Feb to a member in a PM. There are other reasons to think Feb could be the month like David Jaffe mentioning 4 weeks as the time period until we get more info back in January. Then there's the point that SIE handed over the controls of Destination PlayStation in Feb to a major distributor instead of handling it themselves, which many have taken to indicate that they're doing so because they've got a big event that they're planning. Then there's the fact that GDC is in mid-March and a lot of info will leak from that whether Sony wants it to or not, so it makes sense to get out ahead of that and control the message themselves which would likely be in Feb.

We know from a Shawn Leyden interview last year that retailers normally make their purchasing decisions for the rest of the year in Feb, which is what Destination PlayStation is all about. It'd be hard for retailers to make decisions about the PS5 if no info has been provided. Now maybe they will talk about it at the DP event, but there's a decent chance info would leak from that too.

Overall it makes sense for us to get more info in Feb, but at the end of the day we can only sit back and wait.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Anyone mentioning February is just guessing (but could still end up being correct).

Sony already has everything planned but they just haven't talked about it yet.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

I'm in a similar industry and generally, these events are starting to be planned 3-6 months in advance. However, that does not mean the public would be aware, since generally invites to events like this are sent 2-4 weeks ahead of time, depending on the travel season and location.

Even when my own company goes to major conferences, that takes months of planning. So there's at least a few people within Sony that have mapped out what's coming and are working their way towards it.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Honestly it doesn't matter that Sony doesn't show us the goods this month. Now don't get me wrong, I think they will February but it's not like they have to. Things will prob get leaked in March but also it's Sony's product and they can decide when to show it. They don't owe us anything.

Right now we all know that two consoles are coming out before the holidays. Most console gamers will get one or the other and some will get both. That will all be dependent upon the initial reveals besides the crazy loyal fans that will buy no matter what. So honestly people need to stop with all this Sony is being arrogant or stupid with not showing us the goods. They are going to show us when they are ready and their marketing team thinks it's the best time. If it's compelling stuff then people are going to buy, doesn't matter if that's February or June.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone compiled a list of dates in Feb that we can cross off as likely candidates for an event? It'll have to be a weekday of course.

Feb 24th Sony are already holding an event at MWC for their mobile division so I can't see them doing something that day even though they're different divisions.

Feb 14, 19, 20 and 21 we know they're holding livestreams pertaining to the Australian brushfire relief efforts, so I think we can reliably say those days are off the table.

I'd say the 12th or 13th, or the 26th or 27th seem like decent dates. Anything happening on those dates? I haven't checked the Sony Theaters bookings or anything, but then again if they're doing a State of Play reveal or holding it elsewhere then that won't really matter.

Last edited:

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Microsoft commercial was about the female 49er offensive assistant coach

Not all that shocking. I can't imagine they'd go broad with a television advertising campaign this far in advance of having product available to buy. That's generally just a waste of money. It makes way more sense to focus on positive general brand messaging in their NFL partnership instead this year.

Next year could be a different story.

Last edited:

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I know some people just want to believe, but seriously, it's not difficult to prove you are a non fake leaker if you have a devkit in front of you when you take a photo of the tv.
And you said the previos leaks hasn't proven fake, This from the second leak smells.

7f8nAwl.jpg

Not this again...
See my post from earlier.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what you are saying. I didn't bring up any specs. I'm just trying to figure out why so many people use him as a reference. Does he work in the industry?

You may not have any motive here, but I'd suggest we not dig this up again.

Klee definitely has connections to the industry. He was verified by the mods (although his information wasn't). He correctly revealed VRS, Hardware RT and the TGA reveal of the XSX.

That may or may not be enough to consider him a legitimate source of information. That's up to you. But we've been over this topic so many times that it's really not worth it anymore.

Until we get specs, there's no way to know if Klee is correct about anything else.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what you are saying. I didn't bring up any specs. I'm just trying to figure out why so many people use him as a reference. Does he work in the industry?
He is a relaible, vetted, industry insider. Yes. and the rest is history. He isn't Nostradamus, but he is a guy with Industry contacts and they have direct knowledge of PS5 and Series X.
Have you ever heard of a console reveal /announcement happening at The Game Awards? He said they will reveal the Series X there.

So, believe Klee or not. But his words carry more weight than the Github leak ( access to devs with white paper final spec documents vs Github Test data that could be testing anything really.).

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Osiris is not verified here (to my knowledge).
Yes, he isn't Verified here. But not sure why that is the case. Are mods allowed to discuss why a person isn't verified yet? Did he flunk out on his "test"? Did HE back out? Did he provide "insufficient" proof?

I think the rationale for why he isn't Verified yet would be a benifit to us in this thread. Above all, this thread is battling to find what is worth holding on to for discussion and what should be discarded.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, he isn't Verified here. But not sure why that is the case. Are mods allowed to discuss why a person isn't verified yet? Did he flunk out on his "test"? Did HE back out? Did he provide "insufficient" proof?

I think the rationale for why he isn't Verified yet would be a benifit to us in this thread. Above all, this thread is battling to find what is worth holding on to for discussion and what should be discarded.

The last update from Hecht was that there was no update. My assumption is that they were unable to reach an agreement on verification, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.