• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well what do you know . No announcement. Fuck . Now my biggest worry is that Greg Miller might be right about may reveal when he saw shu. I can't take that kinda wait . Decisions , decisions.

BGs

3D-VFX Generalist and VR Developer
Verified
Jan 21, 2020
The person was not talking about banning you but the website.
In any case, as I did not know if it was a joke or not, I have made the decision based on events in general, and not based on that comment. I will speak publicly when everything is official. Until then only PM.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I find it ridiculous that the Xbox Series X would be 12Tf. I mean, Phil Spencer says that it's twice as powerful than the Xbox One X, and someone was like "I know math: 6x2= 12!!" Of course it is, but it's likely that Phil meant it in a general way and not in a mathematical one.

There was one rumor that said the PS5 would be 9-10 Tf and the Xbox One X would be 10.X Tf. For me, that is the most believable. Many people say that both consoles are very close in power. That is something a lot of rumors have agreed on. If the Xbox Series X was 12 Tf, then the PS4 had to be 11.X - 12 Tf. However, many rumors have agreed that the PS5 is between 9 - 10 Tf. If both consoles are very close in power, it makes sense that the latter is more believable. Even if the PS5 gets to be more powerful than the Xbox, there is no way any of the consoles reach 12 Tf.

Nah, 99% chance it's 12 (or let's say 11.8 to 12.2). Way too much evidence. Known CU count of 56, multiple MS connected insiders including an article that was the "official" sanctioned reveal of Series X saying it, and the form factor all clearly point to 12TF.

Also your statement about Phil speaking in "general" terms and not "mathematical" terms seems very odd when he literally said "When we do the math...". What else do you think he's doing math on if not the TF count? It's not RAM, CPU clock, bandwidth, storage speed, or any other spec, so...

Doesn't mean PS5 isn't same or higher, of course. Just constrains the scenarios.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
My intention was not to be part of a story. Having seen it, the best thing will be to stop giving my opinion and dedicate myself only to reading until everything is official. If anyone has any professional questions send me a PM.
No one is requesting a ban for you. They were joking about wccftech. Right now people are so thirsty they will make a story out of any information from anyone who may know.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I'm still expecting February simply because things WILL leak come GDC.

But now I'm thinking it is something more in the vein of a video documentary. Likely it will be announced to air just some days ahead.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think Sony holds back on the reveal because they still have one hell of a release year with Playstation 4. After Final Fantasy 7 and The Last of Us 2 is the time to promote their new hardware. Perhaps a few weeks before TLoU2 with the argument that you can use your library on PS5.

Until then I only see Hardware talk on higher level without a full reveal..
I mean.. entirely possible. They may not want to eat into sales.. but then again, they announced BC in April 2019 to prevent that. As long as we all know PS5 plays PS4 games, all's good.
At E3 2013 they had marketing stuff for Gran Tursimo 6 that released later that year.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
But now I'm thinking it is something more in the vein of a video documentary. Likely it will be announced to air just some days ahead.
What if Sony have spent a few $ million on making a 90-120 minute 'PS5 revealed' documentary w/R&D insight, behind the studio scenes, interviews etc. instead of a PS Meeting.
You've been thinking this for a while actually. We still have some time for them to announce an event for February.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wired article focusing on specs prior to GDC and a games focused event in May. Those are my expectations now.

BGs

3D-VFX Generalist and VR Developer
Verified
Jan 21, 2020
No one is requesting a ban for you. They were joking about wccftech. Right now people are so thirsty they will make a story out of any information from anyone who may know.
I want clarify here too.

I am very grateful for the treatment received by everyone. And I thank you. It is not your fault. But I can't allow news to be made from my comments. It is something I should have thought.

My decision is exclusively for this reason. I have already said that the ban (whether kidding or not, for me or for the site) is just the point that made me think it was the most convenient.

the fault is mainly mine, and secondly of "some" type of press. I cannot allow news to be made from my comments. It is not your fault.

Don't worry. I'll be back.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
People going nuts only in expectation.

Just imagine if Sony announces the presentation date... or imagine Sony doing a presentation...

Sony should be silent for months, they are the centre of attention doing nothing!

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
As a part is the key. If it replaced the reveal itself I'd be a little disappointed.

I think it'd depend on the style of the documentary. If its interview heavy with not many games being shown/only showing really quick cuts of games alongside X feature then sure. But if it's more so games being shown prominently while voice overs explain the various technologies. I think it could work. Especially if they create a handful of smaller videos that get released alongside it. This means places like IGN, etc can create meaningful content from it, Digital Foundry can do pixel counting and actually dig into what was talked about in the video, other outlets can run stories about the games, accessories, etc. It could reach farther than a simple reveal IMO. It would allow them to go more in depth and answer many more questions than a reveal can where they have to be selective and surface level with details for the sake of time.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Just imagine if Sony announces the presentation date... or imagine Sony doing a presentation...

Sony should be silent for months, they are the centre of attention doing nothing!

All the rumors pointed at a Feb reveal and end of Jan announcement which is the same as 2013 PS4 so expectations were high. Now that's out, things will slow down for sure until actual news thankfully.

Jun 23, 2019
And there goes another industry person ran off due to stupid ass games journalism. Hey Wccftech, if you're reading this? Fuck off. I think it's time to ban them from Era.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

It's a fine line though because eventually people may think fuck it...get angry. Purchase a gpu. Purchase a switch.

It's a possibility that you end up angering a portion of your fanbase. Silence can instill doubt. I'm starting to think they have the weaker box, and they are now trying to work out how they counter microsofts approach.

Jun 23, 2019
It's a fine line though because eventually people may think fuck it...get angry. Purchase a gpu. Purchase a switch.

It's a possibility that you end up angering a portion of your fanbase. Silence can instill doubt. I'm starting to think they have the weaker box, and they are now trying to work out how they counter microsofts approach.

lol How you somehow jumped to that conclusion is interesting to say the least.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
What if Sony have spent a few $ million on making a 90-120 minute 'PS5 revealed' documentary w/R&D insight, behind the studio scenes, interviews etc. instead of a PS Meeting.

Much better than any stage event, really. Cheaper to make too and a lot more fun to watch if well produced.
But 90/120 is way too long, I'd say 45 is already pushing it.

Release it on Netflix in 4kHDR.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
And there goes another industry person ran off due to stupid ass games journalism. Hey Wccftech, if you're reading this? Fuck off. I think it's time to ban them from Era.
Kinda agree. No wonder insiders don't come here. Even if they just give educated guesses, or dare to vaguely confirm/deny speculations, what they say will be quoted as facts. Disgusting.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Wooosh for me...... So euhm find someone else to saddle up? Jippy ya yeeh?

No clue what you're trying to say.

It's not the concept I'm against. I just think Sony is doing a very bad job with it. Even if they announced 10 new GOTY games, the way they excute it is boring AF!!!! Also do you really believe that direct is the direct cause of it ballooning to 50 mil? lol

Also what's with the tone to me?

I was just saying carry on. Follow your dreams.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to stop them reading it and doing the same thing, it's just how it is these days, everyone jumps on the smallest piece of info like hyenas.
At least on PS5 the hyenas will look this good
ddi4ytq-f37eb167-0391-4e68-800a-8b89955b91e2.jpg

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
This is getting boring - let's discuss some actual secret sauce.

Does anyone think either of the consoles will have any kind of machine learning cores? Like the Turing cores in Nvidia cards?

The reconstruction in Wolfenstein was so impressive - to the point where it looked sharper than native 4K - because of them. If next gen consoles used that we would have spectacular games. If one console had it and another didn't it would be a huge GPU advantage too.

That kind of reconstruction tech would actually be a real game changing secret sauce.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This is getting boring - let's discuss some actual secret sauce.

Does anyone think either of the consoles will have any kind of machine learning cores? Like the Turing cores in Nvidia cards?

The reconstruction in Wolfenstein was so impressive - to the point where it looked sharper than native 4K - because of them. If next gen consoles used that we would have spectacular games. If one console had it and another didn't it would be a huge GPU advantage too.

That kind of reconstruction tech would actually be a real game changing secret sauce.

'not sure - have AMD talked about anything like that? I kinda imagine MS might want to lean on some of that - perhaps leveraging azure/compute in the cloud and then having something simpler on the console for the scaling?

ML is too buzzwordy for one of them to not mention it in their reveals though - don't you think? Even if it's in the most vague, non-specific and non-commital way

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you know?
Have you got info, you have got info haven't you!!!!! I'm writing an article about hyenas.
I'm an intern at a game development studio. Everyone who works in the games industry and their mothers already know about PS5 specs by now.

Only the first half of my post is true.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
I still think Sony holds back on the reveal because they still have one hell of a release year with Playstation 4. After Final Fantasy 7 and The Last of Us 2 is the time to promote their new hardware. Perhaps a few weeks before TLoU2 with the argument that you can use your library on PS5.

Until then I only see Hardware talk on higher level without a full reveal..

Sony had still to release God of Wars Ascension in march 2013, The Last of Us in June 2013, of Beyond Two Souls in October 2013 and Gran Trusimo 6 in December 2013

That didn't stop them from announcing the PS4 in February 2013

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017

It could also be a possibility that their BC solution is not that good or not ready yet.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
PS5 shadowdrop incoming, they'll literally drop the consoles from helicopters to your head.

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
May reveal isn't bad. Xbox one revealed in May and I that went fine

The Adam Orth controversy was the first landmine Microsoft stepped on in April, before their reveal and directly as a result of rumours, (although the problem was not the rumour but the true information about the always on connection it referred to, admittedly).

Sony would IMO do well to get the facts out and, with game reveals, hype building before there is much chance for rumour to negatively impact or dilute their messaging, which means before GDC.

I don't see how PS4 2020 sales factor in; anyone potentially buying a PS4 this late in the gen who hasn't already got one is unlikely to be swayed by a PS5 reveal. If TLOU2 (and it's library, and PS5 BC) doesn't persuade them to get a PS4, what would?

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
I don't believe any leak that doesn't put the XSX around 12 TF's. Question for the techies: Is it possible that the implementation of ray tracing impacts the power/performance of XSX to where it would be more in line with a 9 or 10 TF PS5? What are other ways to bridge this 2-3 TF gap performance-wise?

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe any leak that doesn't put the XSX around 12 TF's. Question for the techies: Is it possible that the implementation of ray tracing impacts the power/performance of XSX to where it would be more in line with a 9 or 10 TF PS5? What are other ways to bridge this 2-3 TF gap performance-wise?

'well I'm randomly going to also not believe any leak that doesn't put ps5 at 12TF so there no need for that question :p

(but no not really - RT wouldn't work like that. You could party bridge the gap with better ram bandwidth in case xsx might be slightly bandwidth starved; or faster SSD or more ram may help; or faster CPU which doesn't sound likely)

Status
Not open for further replies.