• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
It's not the concept I'm against. I just think Sony is doing a very bad job with it. Even if they announced 10 new GOTY games, the way they excute it is boring AF!!!! Also do you really believe that direct is the direct cause of it ballooning to 50 mil? lol
Disagree completely, the format is fine. The lack of meaningful new announcements is the reason for tepid response to the SoP events. Obviously with the next generation coming that's going to correct itself.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disagree completely, the format is fine. The lack of meaningful new announcements is the reason for tepid response to the SoP events. Obviously with the next generation coming that's going to correct itself.
Please read what i said..... It's not the format or concept i am against.. I just think their execution is horribly bad! Has nothing to do with games.....
Pacing, information, what and how things are being presented. The only good thing about SoP is the voice over.. Right now it's just like watching a youtube playlist.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

They've had RE3, TLOU2 and other notable games at their SoP. If you don't like it now then nothing will change next gen.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Nintendo Direct is the reason the Switch sold 50m?!?

What?!?!
Classic Era....

It's not the concept I'm against. I just think Sony is doing a very bad job with it. Even if they announced 10 new GOTY games, the way they excute it is boring AF!!!! Also do you really believe that direct is the direct cause of it ballooning to 50 mil? lol

Also what's with the tone to me?
Of that, I completely agree. Sony needs to find a way to do it right. But I believe doing it at al is the right step to take. I do believe though that the issue with SoP so far has been the content.

No tone here friend, my apologies if it came off that way.

Didnt they have Directs with the Wii U?............
WiiU was also revealed at a live press conference.

Last edited:

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
But i did not imply or say any of that..
True but lets wait and see.....let us also hope that SoP is not any indication of what new Sony thinks is good. If they do, than boy are they in lots of trouble. One of the worst thing that has come out of Sony
You said they'd be in trouble if they continued with the current format, and then went on to say it wasn't a content issue in a following reply. I'm saying the format won't make a lick of difference because content is king.

They've had RE3, TLOU2 and other notable games at their SoP. If you don't like it now then nothing will change next gen.
I'm blasé about SoP because for the most part it showing stuff we've seen before with few exception's like RE3. Unfortunately RE3 got leaked beforehand thanks to the own incompetence.
Please read what i said..... It's not the format or concept i am against.. I just think their execution is horribly bad! Has nothing to do with games.....
Pacing, information, what and how things are being presented. The only good thing about SoP is the voice over.. Right now it's just like watching a youtube playlist.
That's a you problem. You admitted that it won't matter if the revealed 10 GoTY contenders. At the ended of the day there to reveal content you want to play. If the show that the rest is insignificant.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Classic Era....

Of that, I completely agree. Sony needs to find a way to do it right. But I believe doing it at al is the right step to take.

No tone here friend, my apologies if it came off that way.
It's all good and perhaps i'm a bit touchy today.....Sorry
edit: Also i agree and i hope that they fix the problems that i think they are having.
You said they'd be in trouble if they continued with the current format, and then went on to say it wasn't a content issue in a following reply. I'm saying the format won't make a lick of difference because content is king.
No, i did not! No they will be in trouble if they think that the current SoP is good. Not that there is any problem with the format or concept itself.. again my dear brother, i am going to make it as easy as i can. talking about PRESENTATION!. Not talking about the format!

Look at the way Nintendo does is... It has everything, from concept/format to personality. Sony's SoP has none off that.

edit: You know what...go argue with yourself. The person who responded to me got it. So i'm fine with that.

That's a you problem. You admitted that it won't matter if the revealed 10 GoTY contenders. At the ended of the day there to reveal content you want to play. If the show that the rest is insignificant.
Than why discuss anything? Or have any sort of opinion as long as they provide you with something?

Last edited:

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why everyone is expecting anything.

The consoles probably won't release until November, so I'm not sure why we expect to know very much about these consoles.
well there's a lot of insiders that said it would be in Feb. That's why there's expectations while Sony haven't said shit. It could still be Feb but I doubt it.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I know we didn't get anything today but I am not changing that Feb vote in the poll until the end of next weekend at the earliest. I still feel really confident in a Feb reveal.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was so much BS about consoles being doomed last gen, I find it especially delicious seeing the crow these folks are now eating.
Yeah. Remember the hottakes, Cellphones are going to match Xbox 360 and PS3 graphically by 2013, and so during this generation (PS4/XBoxOne), at the rate phone SoC company Qualcomm innovates, they would overtake our current gen consoles lol.
Funny thing about that is the present rate at which the Switch is selling. It is a portable device going toe to toe with phones in a mobile space and it's selling gangbusters. Consistently. Worldwide.
And even though phones have 4K OLED screens, great graphics etc etc, the Switch still dominates in almost every market. with a humble 720P non OLED screen. So yeah.. games talk, games dictate what people buy. You provide great games, people will follow.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Stuff is going to leak at GDC no matter what Sony or MS's plans are. This is especially true if Sony and MS will be debriefing developers on what to expect from the PS5 and XsX, which is almost certain. No amount of safe guards and secrecy they have in place will be able to prevent leaks from an event where thousands of people are talking all at once. The PS4 Pro was leaked almost immediately at GDC 2016, for instance.

Sony knows this, which is why they did the Wired article in April 2019 after GDC 2019 when the first PS5 dev kits went out, so at the very least, we should expect some official new from them about the PS5 just before or immediately after GDC 2020, which is in mid-March.

Last edited:

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth

I agree with this. SoP would get more praise if they dropped Megatron bombs on there. The format itself is fine.

Mseditor

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
I think someone work in godfall said see you in spring, February not spring, and i don't think ps5 meeting won't have godfall trailer or gameplay, i think it's officially we will not get anything in February

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I agree with this. SoP would get more praise if they dropped Megatron bombs on there. The format itself is fine.

I agree. The past two years have been somewhat light on big announcements, almost certainly because the really big stuff is being made for PS5. They've only been able to offer maybe one big reveal for each SoP along with some nice smaller. Once they can start talking about PS5 projects, we'll be getting similarly huge announcements multiple times in each video.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I am not so sure though, each SoP since the second one had a "megaton", FF7 Remake rereveal, TLOU2 release date, RE3 announcement etc. and yet their engagement metrics pre SoP for each episode have been consistently dropping. I am sure that if they said the PS5 reveal will be there it's views will skyrocket, but there is no denying that the interest and engagement from the community around State of Plays has consistently weakened, so I really don't think it's the smart choice for them.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing? Bah!

I'm not even buying PS5 day one and I'm still sad every day there is no PS5 news :(

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
If we don't see a PS5 event announcement next week I don't think it's happening in February.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so what's the consensus on the WCCFTech article? You know what I find.. just a bit funny. In 2012... and in 2020...
Whenever there were rumors of PS4 and now PS5 being weaker than their competition.. these articles spin "It's over, Sony is doomed,they misjudged the competition etc"
But.. if theres articles sayin the PS4 is stronger like they said in the runup to 2013 PlaystationMeeting.or if they say PS5 is stronger today, the articles say "That difference is going to close by release, the competition will get stronger and close the gap" Just a weird thing I noticed.

I for one am glad it's looking very likely both consoles are alittle north of 12TFlops. And it will be closer than ever. Great thing for multi-platform games especially.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Well no announcement, pretty sure that confirms ps5 is cancelled. Guess Sony rather focus on electric cars than children's toys.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I am not so sure though, each SoP since the second one had a "megaton", FF7 Remake rereveal, TLOU2 release date, RE3 announcement etc. and yet their engagement metrics pre SoP for each episode have been consistently dropping. I am sure that if they said the PS5 reveal will be there it's views will skyrocket, but there is no denying that the interest and engagement from the community around State of Plays has consistently weakened, so I really don't think it's the smart choice for them.

Lots of those were leaked too though. The super great Sony E3 and PSX shows were filled with big titles that were also surprises.

A surprise or a shadow drop of something is always going to be hype compared to something people know about or gets leaked a couple days before. I think SoP is fine.
But I also don't think PS5 will be revealed that way either.

Deleted member 35631

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I find it ridiculous that the Xbox Series X would be 12Tf. I mean, Phil Spencer says that it's twice as powerful than the Xbox One X, and someone was like "I know math: 6x2= 12!!" Of course it is, but it's likely that Phil meant it in a general way and not in a mathematical one.

There was one rumor that said the PS5 would be 9-10 Tf and the Xbox One X would be 10.X Tf. For me, that is the most believable. Many people say that both consoles are very close in power. That is something a lot of rumors have agreed on. If the Xbox Series X was 12 Tf, then the PS4 had to be 11.X - 12 Tf. However, many rumors have agreed that the PS5 is between 9 - 10 Tf. If both consoles are very close in power, it makes sense that the latter is more believable. Even if the PS5 gets to be more powerful than the Xbox, there is no way any of the consoles reach 12 Tf.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
I still think Sony holds back on the reveal because they still have one hell of a release year with Playstation 4. After Final Fantasy 7 and The Last of Us 2 is the time to promote their new hardware. Perhaps a few weeks before TLoU2 with the argument that you can use your library on PS5.

Until then I only see Hardware talk on higher level without a full reveal..

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I still think Sony holds back on the reveal because they still have one hell of a release year with Playstation 4. After Final Fantasy 7 and The Last of Us 2 is the time to promote their new hardware. Perhaps a few weeks before TLoU2 with the argument that you can use your library on PS5.

Why not wait until Ghost is released of they intend to do that?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I think a big State of Play IS more likely for 2020 Sony. And I wouldn't be opposed to that. And the thing is, all they would need is to give people two to three days heads up since people wouldn't have to travel for it.

The only thing I wouldn't be big into is a private press preview event where we get articles and videos from press like we get for some games.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017

I just don't see how this tracks with what they did with the PS4.

The PS4 reveal was Feb 20 2013. TLoU came out after E3 that year I think. So they had the reveal AND an E3 PS4 blowout right before TLoU launched.

And it makes even less sense to do it differently this gen, since backwards compatibility is going to be a thing for sure now.

The people who aren't planning on upgrading will buy TLoU 2 on PS4 regardless, and the people who do want to upgrade can still buy it knowing it will work on their shiny new PS5 later in the year.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I find it ridiculous that the Xbox Series X would be 12Tf. I mean, Phil Spencer says that it's twice as powerful than the Xbox One X, and someone was like "I know math: 6x2= 12!!" Of course it is, but it's likely that Phil meant it in a general way and not in a mathematical one.

You don't give exact numbers to the public until you've locked them down. If you put out a bunch of information then change that information it muddies the water and creates confusion which is something they want to avoid this time around.

BGs

3D-VFX Generalist and VR Developer
Verified
Jan 21, 2020
My intention was not to be part of a story. Having seen it, the best thing will be to stop giving my opinion and dedicate myself only to reading until everything is official. If anyone has any professional questions send me a PM.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My intention was not to be part of a story. Having seen it, the best thing will be to stop giving my opinion and dedicate myself only to reading until everything is official. If anyone has any professional questions send me a PM.
The person was not talking about banning you but the website.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In case you didn't hear it, there is currently a worldwide sanitary urgency decreed by the World Health Organization, with reported case of viral infection in Thailand, Japan, France, Republic of Korea, United States, Taiwan, Australia, Nepal, Singapore, Vietnam, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Canada, Finland, United Arab Emirates.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

There was one rumor that said the PS5 would be 9-10 Tf and the Xbox One X would be 10.X Tf. For me, that is the most believable. Many people say that both consoles are very close in power. That is something a lot of rumors have agreed on. If the Xbox Series X was 12 Tf, then the PS4 had to be 11.X - 12 Tf. However, many rumors have agreed that the PS5 is between 9 - 10 Tf. If both consoles are very close in power, it makes sense that the latter is more believable. Even if the PS5 gets to be more powerful than the Xbox, there is no way any of the consoles reach 12 Tf.
Wait, is the 12TF Xbox SX figure just a rumour??

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they should do PULSE again instead.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
I just don't see how this tracks with what they did with the PS4.

The PS4 reveal was Feb 20 2013. TLoU came out after E3 that year I think. So they had the reveal AND an E3 PS4 blowout right before TLoU launched.

And it makes even less sense to do it differently this gen, since backwards compatibility is going to be a thing for sure now.

The people who aren't planning on upgrading will buy TLoU 2 on PS4 regardless, and the people who do want to upgrade can still buy it knowing it will work on their shiny new PS5 later in the year.

I really hope you are right and my may reveal theory will be corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.