• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Another

"Hey Guys, i know i'm not Jason Schreier or Nibellion, but i work as a journalist and editor of a vehicle here in Brazil. Recently, our website - Combo Infinito - received some information regarding the PS5 announcement and its pre-order.

Our sources are reliable, but for legal reasons, we were asked to keep them confidential. Therefore, we cannot reveal where we got such details from.

Our sources claim that the PS5 will be revealed after the 15th of February (no date was mentioned), and has never been cited for the 5th - as other rumors have suggested. This would be due to other investor meetings that Sony will hold early next month. In addition, the pre-order is expected to start around March. According to what we were told, Sony has already changed the date of the event and the pre-order twice.

Finally, we will keep the matter as a rumor until some news is officially released."

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeak...ewqrfq/ps5_reveal_and_preorder_details_rumor/

is interesting that supposed leaker said stores have already received promotional material and advance information. Hmmm....
Take this with a huge grain of salt. Combo Infinito usually makes a lot of clickbait articles.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really wondering now why everyone is waiting for a ps5 reveal, there is...... i think..... no post asking for more information on the xbox series x and maybe the other series.

I mean what did microsoft show until now, a black box and some goal posts.

It's more than Sony showed which is why people want PS5 info.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
A world cup final is once every 4 years.

And running an ad during the SB doesn't stop them from running it elsewhere.
I think it is not a question of if a SB is the right place for such an announcement to make but I think it is too early to do it because nobody can order or buy the thing. The reason TGAs may have worked is that it was meant for a special audience.

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
There was never going to be a Remedy announcement today. People took a comment by BGs that in essence told folk IN THIS THREAD to quit giving themselves anxiety and spun that into a Playstation acquisition of Remedy being announced today. They (and you if you fell for it without sourcing) have only themselves to blame for any disappointment.

We're creating our own news and then being disappointed when nothing happens.

Ok, thanks.
Yesterdeay I saw a lot of pages and tons of comments about this, and i thought it was something legit.
It was hard to find the original post for an occasional reader.

Time to leave this thread.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
It's more than Sony showed which is why people want PS5 info.

Ok, you have a pic of the consumer product.
But is there really any official information of that consumer product.
I mean, yes, it is the most powerful xbox ever, that was official announced.
That is all it needs to get silence on the internet?

Maybe sony doesn't want to silence the internet.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
The slower SoC was targeting late 2019 launch obviously. The faster one was for 2020. Thing is, production costs matter. What can be launched on 7nm inside a console at the end of 2020 would be economically infeasible on the same process at the end of 2019. So unless you're absolutely sure that you will launch in 2020 five years in advance - and this is also where your competition will launch - you don't have many choices but to develop several SoCs in parallel up until the point where your launch plans finalize and you continue with only one of them. This point may happen in 2017 or 2001 - what I'm saying is that it can't happen later than one year prior to launch.

I really don't want to get argumentative on this point, so I'll close with this and we can just continue to respectfully disagree.

First I think you may be conflating Develop with Design. You can absolutely design multiple chips for multiple years. That's not a very costly process and happens all the time. In fact, fleshing out multiple chip options to validate some assumptions isn't all that unusual.

To develop two different chips is a much different idea. This means you have parallel teams actually working towards creating multiple designs that are all viable for production. And you are correct, this is technically possible.

The reason it doesn't happen is that you are designing two completely different consoles, and the costs of doing so are going to be absorbed into only one production unit. That means all the costs for BOTH designs are burdened into one design. This could be hundreds of millions of dollars of NRE (depending on how far along you get) that need to be amortized into a single shipping unit.

That's much different than amortizing those costs into two different, shipping units. So the platforms expect that when they sell that unit, they are making the money back on development. That's the difference between seeing these companies creating multiple consoles which all actually ship, vs. having multiple developments and only shipping one. You're talking about throwing millions of dollars in silicon development and absorbing all those losses into a single sku. It's just not financially viable, even though it would technically be possible.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't want to get argumentative on this point, so I'll close with this and we can just continue to respectfully disagree.

First I think you may be conflating Develop with Design. You can absolutely design multiple chips for multiple years. That's not a very costly process and happens all the time. In fact, fleshing out multiple chip options to validate some assumptions isn't all that unusual.

To develop two different chips is a much different idea. This means you have parallel teams actually working towards creating multiple designs that are all viable for production. And you are correct, this is technically possible.

The reason it doesn't happen is that you are designing two completely different consoles, and the costs of doing so are going to be absorbed into only one production unit. That means all the costs for BOTH designs are burdened into one design. This could be hundreds of millions of dollars of NRE (depending on how far along you get) that need to be amortized into a single shipping unit.

That's much different than amortizing those costs into two different, shipping units. So the platforms expect that when they sell that unit, they are making the money back on development. That's the difference between seeing these companies creating multiple consoles which all actually ship, vs. having multiple developments and only shipping one. You're talking about throwing millions of dollars in silicon development and absorbing all those losses into a single sku. It's just not financially viable, even though it would technically be possible.
On a first run, lets say DK1 of the custom APU, how many engineering samples are typically developed? A single wafer's worth? I presume initial testing would be done by AMD. How long does it take to reach Xbox? Or does Xbox just set performance criteria and get back test results from AMD and make decisions on that data? Thanks

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
It's really a spectacle seeing you all losing your shit over this. There's plenty of time for Sony.

You guys created the narrative that something had to be said today.

If they don't come out and reveal the thing until GDC, fair enough, but up until that point everything is fine.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly guys, this stuff is just too hard to predict. 2020 Sony is not 2013 Sony. Last time, we got first details of PS4 at the meeting, about 10 months before launch. This time, we got first details more than a year before launch, via written articles from Wired. Subsequent details were revealed at E3. This year, Sony is not attending E3.

Basically, it's foolhardy to try and guess/predict what Sony will do.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I know the first thing I am doing when I get my PS5 home is changing out the thermal paste and replacing the fan.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I still feel like yesterday was more likely than today if they were running the same playbook as last time.

But the good news for all of you is that me posting this means that the chances of Sony announcing something tonight has just shot up.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wonder how confident Klee was in the end of February PS meeting. If it was something he heard or if it was something definitely planned. 🤔

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
|OT11| next gen speculation rumors, doom, and why won't Sony admit 8TF

jk
------

Don't think we are going to hear anything today.

Status
Not open for further replies.