• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
The point I was making was that these companies have people in decision making positions that get it wrong just as much as they get it right. More often than not it is something that comes down to where they think the industry is headed, reacting to pressures that come from competition or they simply take decisions based on selfish motives (Wall Street companies where executive pay is linked to share price).

The assessment that bright people do not make mistakes.............

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think early games are going to have great implementation of RT actually. I think a possibility exists that launch games simply will use a software solution for RT. Polyphony Digital have been experimenting with that for many years now, to a degree, I think GT Sport uses it. So... maybe early games use a software solution. Same on Microsoft early games (2020/early 2021 games).

I'm imagining a pretty wide spectrum from decent to 'clearly just checked the box in UE4 and hoped for the best' tacked on.

Something like GT I'm actually curious about. They've spent years refining their graphics and lighting model to get the most out of 'standard' shaders. It may be a huge amount of work to change that to incoporate RT and retain/surpass the quality of what they already have. So there may need to be a couple of steps back for some devs before they can move forwards

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Haptics just means touch sensation. What Xbox one controller has is the regular rumble motor. Any vibration feedback is haptics feedback but there are more advanced technologies like the iPhone taptic engines, Steam controller and Switch which uses LRA. The new DS5 uses voice coil actuators for haptics feedback. We don't know how the adaptive triggers work yet.
s-l300.jpg

Last edited:

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
There wasn't even any haptic in the GitHub.

gotta overclock those motors to at least 10k rpm. anything less isnt next gen worthy.

Haptics just means touch sensation. What Xbox one controller has is the regular rumble motor.
s-l300.jpg

touch sensation is what those motors in the triggers do. ps5 does something similar but also has tension in the trigger movement on top of it.
i have a feeling it will be the touch pad of next gen where most developers dont utilize it and we see some gamers turn it off if given the option.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Have to admit I'm sort of revising my price expectations upward considering what Albert wrote above. If Sony had to choose a single target, I think they choose $499 (yes I know Albert has said he thinks they went for $399). They know they can move a ton of consoles without shooting low on price. And I think they still come in above 9TF, or with a variety of other advantages. I'm not convinced that something that's at least 3x the PS4 Pro, plus some crazy SSD, plus ray tracing, plus 8 core Zen, is another $399 console.

Meanwhile I can absolutely see XSX being a $549/$599 console, which in turn makes Lockhart more plausible at $349 or even $399. The entire $299/$399/$499 stack that is kind of a background assumption for a lot of this thread increasingly feels too cheap to me as we consider actually getting a 56CU, 12TF console at the top end and something competitive from Sony.

I certainly hope Sony sticks at $399, it's worked for them before.

And reading through the thread and what penello has put forth it's quite possible that we get the Oberon chip plus the new SSD at that price point.

I do know Sony hardware will be competitive since they're both coming out 2020 and both were privilege to the type of hardware available for 2020

Might be wrong but the Apu is said to be the most expensive component? It's only logical that Ms comes on top if they are hitting a higher price point but if Sony is targeting $499 that's a different case

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
touch sensation is what those motors in the triggers do. ps5 does something similar but also has tension in the trigger movement on top of it.
i have a feeling it will be the touch pad of next gen where most developers dont utilize it and we see some gamers turn it off if given the option

Unlike the touch pad it isn't an extra button they need to invent a use for, if the triggers are being used and this isn't difficult to implement then it should see wider use.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm imagining a pretty wide spectrum from decent to 'clearly just checked the box in UE4 and hoped for the best' tacked on.

Something like GT I'm actually curious about. They've spent years refining their graphics and lighting model to get the most out of 'standard' shaders. It may be a huge amount of work to change that to incoporate RT and retain/surpass the quality of what they already have. So there may need to be a couple of steps back for some devs before they can move forwards
Theres a couple videos on Youtube where the team from PD were speaking at a conference talking about Raytracing , they actually used GT Sport in their demonstration. Weirdly, they may be the most prepared for it over any other first party Sony studio. It's why some are expecting a GT7 announcement at PS Meeting.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
i have a feeling it will be the touch pad of next gen where most developers dont utilize it and we see some gamers turn it off if given the option.

I am one of those gamers turning off feedback always first and foremost for the sake of battery life and secondly to have a more chilled experience as it annoys me a lot.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Unlike the touch pad it isn't an extra button they need to invent a use for, if the triggers are being used and this isn't difficult to implement then it should see wider use.

For tension to be used you need to program in what action triggers it and to what degree. It's yet another layer to rumble to deal with.
This gen we see a lot of developers not take advantage of the rumble triggers in the xbox or the rumble ability in the switch. Same will happen with the ps5 controller.

I am one of those gamers turning off feedback always first and foremost for the sake of battery life and secondly to have a more chilled experience as it annoys me a lot.

I leave it on and the xbox controllers automatically disable feedback as battery gets low and i never notice it shutting off while playing lol.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

Aren't these triggers supposed to be fairly subtle, in your face vibration and rumble doesn't do much for me either outside of VR games.

I will give the triggers a fair go but I'm not expecting much.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
XBox one controller (at the least the one on the X) definitly has haptic feedback, not regular rumble. Even MS describes it as such, dont know why people are insisting that is regular rumble.
It is regular rumble, thats just simply the technology of the time, ERM. However still falls under haptics feedback. I'm almost certain that the new Xbox controller will use a more advanced haptics like an LRA.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I think the most likely scenario that we have here is that Sony planned on a Jaguar-based console in 2019, be that PS5 or a PS4 Pro Plus, rejected that idea and moved to a Zen-based console for 2020 which is the PS5. That change seemed to have happened in 2017. If that's true (and I believe it is) then it would be further hard to believe they went and decided to spin up two different 2020 SOC's, both going through a full validation phase, only to wait to see what Xbox does then decide which one to put into production.
Jeez...this is, frankly, shocking! :)

Thanks for all the info you are sharing here with us Albert!

DrKeo what do you make of Jaguar based PS5? ;)
That would mean not even first Zen (which was launched in 2017) was available for consoles in 2019 i guess, i had no idea.

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Haptics just means touch sensation. What Xbox one controller has is the regular rumble motor. Any vibration feedback is haptics feedback but there are more advanced technologies like the iPhone taptic engines, Steam controller and Switch which uses LRA. The new DS5 uses voice coil actuators for haptics feedback. We don't know how the adaptive triggers work yet.
s-l300.jpg

Yep. The Wired article describes things like feedback so detailed that a character walking through snow "feels" noticeably different to the same character walking through mud, being able to easily tell when you're driving over ground instead of road in GT, and firing an assault rifle feeling very different to firing a shotgun along with the physical DS5 trigger requiring more effort to push down further. The Xbox One controller has rumble triggers and "haptic feedback" to a certain degree, but I strongly doubt it has those things.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that Sony seriously considered Jaguar for the PS5 at any point after a Zen chip was provided to them by AMD for testing is laughable.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Programmable resistance isn't really a 'feedback' thing. It's a way for the developer to define how the trigger works. For example, do I want it to be 'clicky' or 'squishy'? Different trigger types will suit different games better. It's more about being able to program how input will work vs a superficial layer of feedback over that input (as in rumble). Programmable resistance gives devs the opportunity for the first time to specify a custom trigger to best suit their game.

To that extent I think a) it will be used a lot and b) won't be something devs will allow you to turn off, or that you'd want to turn off. It would make as much sense as wanting to turn off or override analog stick behavior.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I know this is joke from your side but still why would a user like you derail this thread? Jaguar isnt going to happen so why even bring it up?
Are we seriously entertaining the idea of a Jaguar based PS5 in 2019? SMH
The idea that Sony seriously considered Jaguar for the PS5 at any point after a Zen chip was provided to them by AMD for testing is laughable.

Albert Penello brought it up and people praise him for every piece of information he posts. Don't hate the messenger. Why not reply to Albert Penello and ask him instead?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox One controllers only have haptic feedback in the triggers. The grips contain regular traditional rumble (like DS4). Go check out some teardowns of both controllers to see.

Anyway, it's the resistive triggers that are the interesting part of the DS5 not whatever flavour of rumble they have in there.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Xbox One controllers only have haptic feedback in the triggers. The grips contain regular traditional rumble (like DS4). Go check out some teardowns of both controllers to see.
I feel like people are getting their wires crossed somewhere.

Hapics feedback just means touch sensation. Every controller with rumble dating back to the Play Station controller from 1997 and the Rumble Pak, falls under haptics feedback because they provide some sort of tactile sensation even though its just regular rumble.

Xbox One controller including the triggers use same tech, ERM. Hence rumble triggers. They use a regular motor to rotate a weighted mass causing it to vibrate/ rumble. Old tech and different from what Switch and Steam controller uses but both fall under haptics feedback.

Pantato

Nov 5, 2019
Of all the theories spawned from this thread, this has too be one of the most far stretched...
The Subor Z+ prototype from an (almost) unknown chinese company has a custom made Ryzen+Vega APU called Firelight in 2018, and people are buying that Sony was ever considering Jaguar for 2019?
Moreover, Firelight development cost was only about 60M$, a far cry from the hundreds of millions touted by some for the devlopement of custom silicon. Surely developping 2 APU in parallel for Sony doesn't sound unreasonnable?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
The Jaguar based GPU doesn't sound remotely believable, even given a supposed 2019 release - again why would Sony aim to release a new console before MS when they are selling much higher numbers? Also, Jaguar was weak in 2013 and they have other options. It does offer a nice narrative to some who are committed to the console being restricted to a certain performance metric though [Not indicating Albert Panello here]

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
The new PS5 shall have a 486 DX processor. It will also have a turbo button on the front.

/s

Status
Not open for further replies.