• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
OK friends, I got a tingling in my balls about tomorrow. Going to bed and hoping for a pleasant surprise 😃

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Who? I don't know, do we have any solid proof that it's Sony? Or that it's related to PS5? All I'm seeing, have have seen are CU counts equivalent to PS4.
It has testing for exactly the same clock frequencies of the PS4 and PS4 pro, which is assumed would be for backwards compatibility purposes. It would be very strange for new chips to be testing for those odd frequencies unless it was somehow related to Playstation.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
On the other hand an arms race for exclusive content has been extremely good for creators of TV shows and Movies, with large budgets and lots of freedom being offered. I do think that people get worried about the unknown all the time. Look at all of the directors who originally raged about how Netflix making original movies and not giving them a theater releases would ruin the industry. That has not proven true at all, and now a lot of creative directors are choosing to work with Netflix.......

Times change, gotta keep up!

there was a developer poll about game subscription services on the Road to GDC 2020 poll where it was split with slightly more developers saying it will harm the industry

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Consoles had traditionally offered one unit for no other reason other than that was what had always been done.
This is a completely warrantless assertion. Further, it ignores the fact that developing novel features, means of production, or marketing can be a fruitful path to expanding success. If disparate highly-qualified design teams repeatedly avoid a new approach, it's not because they're a bunch of mindless sheep. It's because they've assessed the possibility, and agree with other teams' previous judgment it's not worth it.

To also compound this, the money is not on the hardware. The hardware is simply a medium to get you more software sales. Everyone expects to sell the console at a loss in the first year (exception being Nintendo), and those costs come down as manufacturing gets better with volumes improving. So the idea is to get more people into the ecosystem, with the company looking to make a bigger loss on the lower end of the market as this is what is targeting the most price sensitive consumers.
This is all covered in my post, so I'm not sure what your point is.

It's very difficult to add features in a stepping. There's just no room to do so if you did a good job on the base design. I've done it before, but you can't do something like adding compute ability. It's more like you figured out a situation in debug where performance was limited by something so you add a feature to mitigate it.
Thanks for more detail. The just-so story I laid out wasn't ever meant to imply that Oberon got bigger and more performant with the steps. Rather that architectural improvements and tweaks developed by AMD's Navi team after Oberon was finalized were rolled back into it. This to provide a more authentic response to dev work forced to proceed on the Oberon hardware (though still limited by its notably lower performance than "Titania").

So, if I am understanding this correctly, under your speculation, the capability of RT HW will be directly tied to the no. of CUs within the GPU. Consequently, by the sheer virtue of having more more active CUs, XsX's RT capability will be comparatively better that PS5's (unless, in the hypothetical event where PS5's GPU is clocked to a frequency which results in it being as performant as XsX's GPU, despite having a lower active CU count).
I recall discussion in a previous OT about some AMD RT tests, or claims, that seemed to indicate their raytracing solution did indeed scale better with CUs than clocks. I could be remembering wrong. Perhaps anexanhume or others have a better handle on this information.

1) If Sony has a secrete APU that isn't Oberon, why do they keep spending millions on Oberon? It seems like we are on stepping E, if not higher by now, so why keep spending million on iteration after an iteration that they already knew in late 2018 that it will never see the light of day?
Because "Titania" wouldn't be available until less than a year before launch. But due to the strategy change, Oberon is already around. And it shares a good amount of hardware with its successor. So you can make the best of a bad jon and test revisions by stepping it instead. Then you've got a collection of lessons learned that can be rolled together into a single step on "Titania".

2) How come we haven't heard or seen a single leak regarding this secret silicon? We keep hearing about every one of the APUs again and again in different DB leaks, but this one has somehow avoided all of that.
In my layout of the reasoning, "Titania" is almost 18 months behind Oberon on the production timeline. Are the database leaks we have from 2018? No. So at this same point in its development track, Ariel/Gonzalo/Oberon hadn't been spotted publicly yet either.

There's a hard stop at the end of all this--actual launch!--so "Titania" has to proceed a little faster than them. But even so, the calendar I explicated means that the bigger hardware literally didn't even exist until one or two months ago. It'd hardly be a surprise if it hasn't had a chance to surface visibly yet.

(Lest others misconstrue my intent, I'll repeat that I think there's too much special pleading in this scenario to make it likely. I just intended to show that it's not impossible due to time constraints, as many have incorrectly claimed.)

I would support your though process to some degree if not DrKeo found out that Oberon Gen2 (native mode) was explicitly mentioned as 36CU full count!
Technically, it didn't say "full CU count". It says a BC-test metric is a "full chip result". That could definitely mean there's no more hardware available. But it could also plausibly mean this is the result when using the hardware to the fullest it allows for BC.

And it's not just the comment "full chip results", there is also a file with the same results that is called "oberonA0_regression_result_native". In addition, if it's just the native PS5 clocks and not the full CU count, does anyone actually believes that the PS5 is over 40CU AND running @2Ghz?
You yourself have pointed out that AMD is about to reveal new progress in the Navi family that could raise the clock sweet spot 10 to 20%. The 5700XT already runs at 1.75GHz sustainably. A 15% lift would be 2GHz. That'd make a 48 CU chip hit 12.3 TF.

Well to guess the gpu of oberon 9 months in advance till the third decimal correctly is pure luck I suppose 😜
The TF calculation is very simple. And since CU counts are always even, and extreme low and high values can be thrown away, that leaves few possibilities. You can stumble on the right one very easily--especially with very rounded clock figures too, like 1.8 or 2. What'd be impressive is a 9.272 TF prediction that came true. Because that requires a very precise clock figure.

Why do people think Sony is creating a halfway house custom APU to test backwards compatibility? They've already successfully tested the method in the PS4 Pro functionally another APU which isn't representative of the final silicon seems to be a tad pointless and extremely expensive.
There are multiple proposals for how Oberon's leaked tests may not be indicative of final PS5 hardware, and not all of them require it to be a completely separate chip.

Both Windowscentral and Github state 12TF.... We've been discussing Github for the past 200 pages.
I'm pretty certain GitHub doesn't state a TF number for Arden. Only a CU count. (And other unrelated tech details, such as theoretical RAM bandwidth.)

but what about RT? we don't know the space on die size AMD solution will need. Nvidia 1st gen gets almost 20%
This is incorrect. You're right that an RTX compute unit is ~20% bigger than prior Nvidia architecture. But most of this is the improved tensor cores. Only about 8% comes from the RT cores. On Navi, 8% of a CU is about .2mm^2 (note the decimal). That's about 12mm^2 total for a 60 CU chip.

Of course, AMD's solution might require more space. But there's no evidence for that yet.

Zen gets around 70....
No. An 8-core Zen2 from the desktop range is 76mm^2. However, we have a benchmark leak strongly suggesting that PS5 is using a version where L3 cache is massively reduced, leaving a 50mm^2 total size. (That's measured/calculated, not rounded off to the nearest 5 or 10.)

What if Oberon is PS Now related and will be used as future server innards for PS4 games to run Native 4K?
Let's assume PS5 retail is much stronger than Oberon. Next a question: do you think PS Now will be able to stream PS5 games? This seems certain to me. But if so, why design server hardware that can only play PS4 games? In your scenario, Oberon can't match the retail PS5. So now you need twice as many server blades to operate PSNow: Oberon, and also something to do PS5-level titles. There doesn't seem to be any upside to that.[/QUOTE]

Se7eN

Apr 4, 2019
Back in 2013, was there any lead up, whispers, signs or leaks prior to the invites for the ps meeting?
All we hear in terms of reveal is "soon" but the hell is "soon"? 😅

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
4k/60?
1080p/1440p/120?
4k/30 with super realistic graphics /bigger worlds?
8k like they mentionned probably for less demanding games?
Super audio 7.1 Atmos/DTS EX and whatnot?

I'm probably forgetting others..

Anyways, my other question is if all the above fits your expectations or some.

Can all the "confirmed" hardware no matter the console achieve these expectations above and would 9tf be enough?
I actually think the hardware in either the PS5 or Series X should be able to do all of this. The Xbox One X ran a lot of games at 4k/30 with a CPU 4-5 times less powerful, a GPU that will likely be half as powerful, much less and slower RAM, and pathetic 5400 RPM hard drives. I mean even the PS4 Pro delivered true 4k in some games and it had 1/3rd of the GPU power we are likely to see. We are going to see some awesome things this gen. I'm really excited!

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait until there is the first reveal of the ps5.
They will show a big black box with a lot of cooling grids and say " 3 times the gpu power of a ps4 pro if you do the math " (4.2tf x 3 = 12.6tf)

That is when the fun times start.
At this point. If Sony said anything, there will be spin to counter it. Guys putting up graphs here, neat assumptions in dolled up spreadsheets paraded around in bad faith, Im sure. And after PS5s reveal I guarantee that BUT I'm sure Sony will give us some white paper specs. That way we have hard facts to work with.

Utterly ridiculous that MS literally showed their box but haven't given us solid specs.
That TFlops response from Phil Spencer is embarrassing at best.

He should have just told us how many Vegeta's, Cell's or Yamcha's it is.
This is a completely warrantless assertion. Further, it ignores the fact that developing novel features, means of production, or marketing can be a fruitful path to expanding success. If disparate highly-qualified design teams repeatedly avoid a new approach, it's not because they're a bunch of mindless sheep. It's because they've assessed the possibility, and agree with other teams' previous judgment it's not worth it.

Thanks for more detail. The just-so story I laid out wasn't ever meant to imply that Oberon got bigger and more performant with the steps. Rather that architectural improvements and tweaks developed by AMD's Navi team after Oberon was finalized were rolled back into it. This to provide a more authentic response to dev work forced to proceed on the Oberon hardware (though still limited by its notably lower performance than "Titania").

I recall discussion in a previous OT about some AMD RT tests, or claims, that seemed to indicate their raytracing solution did indeed scale better with CUs than clocks. I could be remembering wrong. Perhaps anexanhume or others have a better handle on this information.

Because "Titania" wouldn't be available until less than a year before launch. But due to the strategy change, Oberon is already around. And it shares a good amount of hardware with its successor. So you can make the best of a bad jon and test revisions by stepping it instead. Then you've got a collection of lessons learned that can be rolled together into a single step on "Titania".

In my layout of the reasoning, "Titania" is almost 18 months behind Oberon on the production timeline. Are the database leaks we have from 2018? No. So at this same point in its development track, Ariel/Gonzalo/Oberon hadn't been spotted publicly yet either.

There's a hard stop at the end of all this--actual launch!--so "Titania" has to proceed a little faster than them. But even so, the calendar I explicated means that the bigger hardware literally didn't even exist until one or two months ago. It'd hardly be a surprise if it hasn't had a chance to surface visibly yet.

(Lest others misconstrue my intent, I'll repeat that I think there's too much special pleading in this scenario to make it likely. I just intended to show that it's not impossible due to time constraints, as many have incorrectly claimed.)

Technically, it didn't say "full CU count". It says a BC-test metric is a "full chip result". That could definitely mean there's no more hardware available. But it could also plausibly mean this is the result when using the hardware to the fullest it allows for BC.

You yourself have pointed out that AMD is about to reveal new progress in the Navi family that could raise the clock sweet spot 10 to 20%. The 5700XT already runs at 1.75GHz sustainably. A 15% lift would be 2GHz. That'd make a 48 CU chip hit 12.3 TF.

The TF calculation is very simple. And since CU counts are always even, and extreme low and high values can be thrown away, that leaves few possibilities. You can stumble on the right one very easily--especially with very rounded clock figures too, like 1.8 or 2. What'd be impressive is a 9.272 TF prediction that came true. Because that requires a very precise clock figure.

There are multiple proposals for how Oberon's leaked tests may not be indicative of final PS5 hardware, and not all of them require it to be a completely separate chip.

I'm pretty certain GitHub doesn't state a TF number for Arden. Only a CU count. (And other unrelated tech details, such as theoretical RAM bandwidth.)

This is incorrect. You're right that an RTX compute unit is ~20% bigger than prior Nvidia architecture. But most of this is the improved tensor cores. Only about 8% comes from the RT cores. On Navi, 8% of a CU is about .2mm^2 (note the decimal). That's about 12mm^2 total for a 60 CU chip.

Of course, AMD's solution might require more space. But there's no evidence for that yet.

No. An 8-core Zen2 from the desktop range is 76mm^2. However, we have a benchmark leak strongly suggesting that PS5 is using a version where L3 cache is massively reduced, leaving a 50mm^2 total size. (That's measured/calculated, not rounded off to the nearest 5 or 10.)

Let's assume PS5 retail is much stronger than Oberon. Next a question: do you think PS Now will be able to stream PS5 games? This seems certain to me. But if so, why design server hardware that can only play PS4 games? In your scenario, Oberon can't match the retail PS5. So now you need twice as many server blades to operate PSNow: Oberon, and also something to do PS5-level titles. There doesn't seem to be any upside to that.
[/QUOTE]
Well, I just thought about the fact theres no evidence Oberon has HW RT. So it could be a single solution for all legacy platforms and not PS5. For PS5 streaming, maybe they would use final PS5 SOC in seperate servers. I guess... it depends on how valuble Sony views backward Compatibility of legacy platforms PS1-4. But the fact Oberon has no HW RT... it's a big factor in me thinking it could be purely for PS1-4 Backwards Compatibility streaming, and PS4 emulation in native 4K. Which is the magic number Cerny brought up in saying getting current gen PS4 games to Native 4K requires.

Raindammit

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
fan made
a761a362411069.5a8f23cead8bc.jpg

fbd5de62411069.5a8f23ceade42.jpg

02400762411069.5a8f23ceae714.jpg

Source:

From two years ago..

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Watch how Phil talks about Scorpio this entire podcast.

This is before the major studio acquisition announcements and the entire gamepass strategy... or even what the One X was to be called.

Thanks for posting this, I've never heard it before. That is a great podcast if you want to understand what Microsoft is doing with GamePass. So much quality content there.......

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From two years ago..
Lol Wow.
But judging by the overkill venting in Prospero, I dont think these vents could even cut it.
My PS4 Pro currently sounds like a Learjet, this will likely sound like a SpaceX experiment about to blowup on it's launchpad.
Edit:
Has ZhugeEX commented about the whole Fortnite thing, was it *just* a joke and not a hint for Playstation Meeting?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
It's either good news or a tapeworm. I'm rooting for good news!!! 😃
Don't do this to yourself. Tomorrow is only a hope, it's never a given. Once you are old you know that 99.9% of tomorrow sucks, if you have no control over it. Better to come to this realization early on. No one of us has tomorrow for sure.

edit: thank the maker of you survive and if you are not a secular person thank your body.

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
Vega 64 GCN
4096 Shading Units
256 TMUs
64 ROPS
64 CU
12.58TF

5700 XT RDNA
2560 Shading Units
160 TMUs
64 ROPS
40 CU
9.754TF
BFV.png

RSS.png

If you want to believe those 12 TF are RDNA flops. Then you're looking at a gpu that outperforms a $400 gpu in a $499/$599 console. I just find that hard to believe.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Vega 64 GCN
4096 Shading Units
256 TMUs
64 ROPS
64 CU
12.58TF

5700 XT RDNA
2560 Shading Units
160 TMUs
64 ROPS
40 CU
9.754TF
BFV.png

RSS.png

If you want to believe those 12 TF are RDNA flops. Then you're looking at a gpu that outperforms a $400 gpu in a $499/$599 console. I just find that hard to believe.
Believe it, and then add storage and. a new CPU.we are at no less than our wildest imaginations, but it does all appear to be true.

Albert Panello comments on SOC design (3)

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Don't get me wrong but I'm inclined to disagree with almost everything he said. The devil is in the details and the meaning of words can be totally different despite them being the same.
Big changes to an existing silicon won't happen a year prior to launch. A completely different silicon which was designed in parallel can happen a year prior to launch easily.

It is entirely possible that Sony has been developing, in parallel, two completely different SOC's. I've said before it would be costly to do it, but you seem very convinced about it and I will concede that while I've never heard of such a thing happening since the Dreamcast days, it not impossible and therefore becomes simply a difference of opinion.

I will give you two reasons why I reject it, which of course you may disagree.

First, if there are meaningful difference in performance between the two chips, there will be meaningful differences in cooling and other support components. At a minimum this is an entirely different motherboard layout and cooling design. Therefore Sony would have to engineer two different *consoles*, not just two different chips, to support both scenarios. Otherwise you would have to believe that Sony is over-designing a bigger box (which comes with cost) to have the headroom to support two different SOC designs. So they would be willing to eat both the upfront costs of two silicon programs but also risk over-building a form-factor to support these different outcomes? The elegant HW designs Sony has produced so far don't suggest to me they do anything other than build a holistic system that's highly integrated between the silicon and system design. It's just far too inelegant and expensive.

The second reason (which I'll admit is more subjective) is that this idea also implies Sony isn't confident in their own strategy. That somehow they feel compelled to pay for option value just in case Microsoft does something that scares them. I just find it hard to believe they don't know exactly what they want to build, and what they want it to cost, and have already considered what the competition might do. I just don't believe Sony is so worried about Xbox that they are going to be the ones holding option value and taking this kind of risk and cost.

I think the most likely scenario that we have here is that Sony planned on a Jaguar-based console in 2019, be that PS5 or a PS4 Pro Plus, rejected that idea and moved to a Zen-based console for 2020 which is the PS5. That change seemed to have happened in 2017. If that's true (and I believe it is) then it would be further hard to believe they went and decided to spin up two different 2020 SOC's, both going through a full validation phase, only to wait to see what Xbox does then decide which one to put into production.

And even if you believed that - I can say with a high degree of certainty that they would have needed to abandon one of them at least 6 months ago to launch this holiday.

Just my $.02.

Oct 25, 2017
there was a developer poll about game subscription services on the Road to GDC 2020 poll where it was split with slightly more developers saying it will harm the industry
I can understand why devs are afraid.

Subscription services siphons away potential purchasers.

A significant number of PS+ games are ones I already own.
Of next months 3 games - I already own the Bioshock Collection and Firewall Zero Hour.
If those games are available day 1 on PS+, I keep paying Sony the same flat subscription fee.
But I would no longer purchase those games.

At the moment, devs are seeing an uptick in sales from having their games on Gamepass - but I'd bet those are non-gamepass subscribers picking up the new trending game. That'll happen less when Gamepass has a higher percentage of subscribers, and there's more competing content available on the service.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
This has to be a statement that does not take into account a lot of business cases that are all there, and why it is they have failed.

I am sure that someone at Kodak thought that not going digital was a great idea.
I am sure that someone at Microsoft thought that the best way to combat Android was to buy Nokia and not make moves that would have appealed to phone makers.
Someone at Research in Motion thought that keeping things as they were, more of the same was great at a time when every major phone company was going touchscreen on a lot of their products.
Some people at Sony saw their business dominance in TV, Walkman disappear.
Jack Welch who used to be GE's CEO, was seen as a success, but he gutted GE's manufacturing capability and what you have is the husk we have today. Boeing which used to be a leader in plane manufacturing back in the day cannot seem to meet the following, put out a great plane that is on time and within budget. Last time they did that was on the original Boeing 777. And you now have a product line that is poor compared to the competition, all except a single jet.

These are not mindless sheep. Neither are the guys at Nintendo who followed up a successful Wii with the Wii U, and followed up that with the mega success that is the Switch.

Microsoft did not have to put a hard drive in the original Xbox, Nintendo did not have to have docked and undocked modes, when playing online was free, Microsoft charged a fee for Xbox live. All of these were not worth it. The hard drive is now part of gaming, paying for online gaming is a revenue stream for each console manufacturer, and the Switch is a runaway success.

A lot of times, companies just stay the same for no other reason than this is what they have been doing and they see no need to overhaul the system.

I think it was clear.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
and round we go. It's confusing but people seem set on it being 12. I agree there is wiggle room in the specific way Spencer said twice as powerful, and others interpreted that as 12TF

However, they haven't been denied and Spencer retweeted one of the articles. If it wasn't 12TF you'd think they'd head it off quickly as the backlash if it was 9-10 (rightly or wrongly) would be messy
Digital Foundry also confirmed that was about right with one of their sources, and the die size being basically 400mm^2 means its probably right around that unless there is some other secret sauce taking up all that space (esram anyone? haha)

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It is entirely possible that Sony has been developing, in parallel, two completely different SOC's. I've said before it would be costly to do it, but you seem very convinced about it and I will concede that while I've never heard of such a thing happening since the Dreamcast days, it not impossible and therefore becomes simply a difference of opinion.

I recall reading that MS were designing two mid-gen chips, one for 2016 and one for 2017. Obviously the 2016 chip was abandoned in favour of Scorpio. Can you tell us anything about that?

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
I recall reading that MS were designing two mid-gen chips, one for 2016 and one for 2017. Obviously the 2016 chip was abandoned in favour of Scorpio. Can you tell us anything about that?

This is the Phil quote, right? There were two different *plans* - a 2016 version and a 2017 version. Two chip designs. But two completely different chips were never developed.

I was actually on IGN and talked a bit more about this too. The team started thinking about the idea of Scorpio back before the original Xbox One launched in 2013. I think I presented the first plan in either late 2012 or early 2013. There were different options for different years, starting with a 2016 version, and as Phil said he pushed the team and we came up with a 2017 version. But there was never a 2016 chip created.

Last edited:

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I don't think that this makes too much sense, but hey it is crazy speculation time :) Apparently the Hololens people will be at Mobile World Congress again next month even though they already revealed/announced Hololens 2 last year at this same event. Maybe some type of consumer iteration of this technology for PC and Xbox use?

I would love to see AR for consumers being done by Microsoft with the Hololens. I played around a bit with the Magic Leap, but although it's got some cool features, the experience still seems really half-baked

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's worth way more then two cents.
As always really appreciate all of the insight.

Sony doesn't want to or need to play the power game if they don't want.

They likely had a target price and one that has done amazingly for them and design for it. I've been harping this for months.

A one console sku targeting $599 nearly killed them. They came back with a $399 that did amazingly well.

Do you really want to be in a board meeting at Sony trying to justify why you need a one sku launch trying to be the most powerful just so the internet likes you considering it's history and how critical it is to their survival?

That is an incredibly hard sell unless you had a cheaper option...

They want power at a reasonable price to accelerate adoption. That's the name of the game. IMO they will design an elegant and powerful console at $399 with the specs to match

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
This is the Phil quote, right? There were two different *plans* - a 2016 version and a 2017 version. Two chip designs. But two completely different chips were never developed.

Ah I see. How much of an investment does a chip require to be developed? Are we talking hundreds of millions? Also what happens if you run into major issues that might require a redesign of some sort deep into the development process? Are there no viable backup plans that won't break the bank? Thanks for any answers!

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
That's worth way more then two cents.
As always really appreciate all of the insight.

Sony doesn't want to or need to play the power game if they don't want.

They likely had a target price and one that has done amazingly for them and design for it. I've been harping this for months.

A one console sku targeting $599 nearly killed them. They came back with a $399 that did amazingly well.

Do you really want to be in a board meeting at Sony trying to justify why you need a one sku launch trying to be the most powerful just so the internet likes you considering it's history and how critical it is to their survival?

That is an incredibly hard sell unless you had a cheaper option...

They want power at a reasonable price to accelerate adoption. That's the name of the game. IMO they will design an elegant and powerful console at $399 with the specs to match

I sure hope your wrong. Something at 399 would probably be very underpowered.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

I was actually on IGN and talked a bit more about this too. The team started thinking about the idea of Scorpio back before the original Xbox One launched in 2013. I think I presented the first plan in either late 2012 or early 2013. There were different options for different years, starting with a 2016 version, and as Phil said he pushed the team and we came up with a 2017 version. But there was never a 2016 chip created.

Quick question, sorry if this has already been explained and I simply missed it:

If Lockheart is indeed real and what you said about SOCs, will it just be the same as Series X but with CU not activated to cut costs and produce the system for a lower price?

Here I was thinking they would be two completely different chips sets developed in tandem. However, reading your post that would probably be too costly.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Yep. I get a weird deja vu in here about every 24 hours... and before you know it, there's a new OT...
and 24 hours later, we're back to discussing what probably derailed the last OT.
Im not a hardware engineer.
But I would like to know from anyone that is.

Oberon keeps being brought up.
Explain this to me.

Microsoft is building Xcloud with Xbox One innards on server racks. Eventually they plan to integrate Lockhart into those server racks instead to run Xbox One, Lockhart games. Yes/No?

So now the mind bender...

What if Oberon is PS Now related and will be used as future server innards for PS4 games to run Native 4K? Mark Cerny has stated you need 8TF for native 4K. What if because Jaguar has hit a brick wall in development, Sony wants Oberon to be the heart of its replacement. With Zen. And maybe even the same Oberon hardware to run all past Playstation Generation games also. (PS1,2,3 and 4 by emulation)

The heart of that argument is...
If this ends up being the case, Oberon has nothing to do with PS5. and this thread can stop chasing it's tail every 24 hours stating the Github leak is PS5 final spec as a certainty. Especially when Matt has stated it isn't the case.

This thread can be insufferable at times...

It seems like any theory other than the narrative that the Null Hypothesis is Oberon is a 9.2TFlops PS5 is shot down without any discussion.
But why go through all of the iterations and testing to make a separate APU for the cloud when you could just use the one you are putting in your actual console? Especially if it is going to be close to the same physical size (a 9 TF chip and a 12 TF chip are not going to have massively different die size with RDNA). You incur huge costs to design the chip, and then have to mass produce 2 different chips. It doesn't make a ton of sense.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This is a few months old but I find Remedy's comment about the PS5 SSD's fast streaming freeing up CPU bandwidth to be very interesting.

respawnfirst.com

Remedy Explains What Control Will Be Like On PS5 - RespawnFirst

Control has already released on the current generation consoles but it is also coming to PS5 and Xbox Scarlett. Here is what the game is going to be like.

I can't wait to hear more about it from devs!

Sony building in a blitter

seriously though if you have streaming heavy engines, and your SSD can serve you 5GB/s which may need at least some decompression and sorting into ram - is that heavy enough you'd need to factor in for bandwidth contention and even CPU? Seems it might be. These consoles might benefit from some 'super onion' type of Bus arrangement to not choke when GPU/COU and SSD are all vying for bandwidth

beta

Dec 31, 2019
Sony building in a blitter

seriously though if you have streaming heavy engines, and your SSD can serve you 5GB/s which may need at least some decompression and sorting into ram - is that heavy enough you'd need to factor in for bandwidth contention and even CPU? Seems it might be. These consoles might benefit from some 'super onion' type of Bus arrangement to not choke when GPU/COU and SSD are all vying for bandwidth

iirc, the SSD patent includes a decompression module on the SSD to (presumably) decompress the contents straight into RAM without any involvement from the CPU.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Here are few tidbits thanks to Osiris :(grain of salt and all as none are confirmed things )

both are listed $499 in GameStop with temporary SKU number however xsx has a 449$ sku as well( maybe a 500 mb version)

DS5 is 69$ but xsx pad is 59$

both are above 10 tf 100% according to their info .

Other than the games we know there is a game called broken filter under ps5

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry also confirmed that was about right with one of their sources, and the die size being basically 400mm^2 means its probably right around that unless there is some other secret sauce taking up all that space (esram anyone? haha)

I agree with that. How just for fun - how about DLSS or some other kind of ML hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.