• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Yep. I get a weird deja vu in here about every 24 hours... and before you know it, there's a new OT...
and 24 hours later, we're back to discussing what probably derailed the last OT.
Im not a hardware engineer.
But I would like to know from anyone that is.

Oberon keeps being brought up.
Explain this to me.

Microsoft is building Xcloud with Xbox One innards on server racks. Eventually they plan to integrate Lockhart into those server racks instead to run Xbox One, Lockhart games. Yes/No?

So now the mind bender...

What if Oberon is PS Now related and will be used as future server innards for PS4 games to run Native 4K? Mark Cerny has stated you need 8TF for native 4K. What if because Jaguar has hit a brick wall in development, Sony wants Oberon to be the heart of its replacement. With Zen. And maybe even the same Oberon hardware to run all past Playstation Generation games also. (PS1,2,3 and 4 by emulation)

The heart of that argument is...
If this ends up being the case, Oberon has nothing to do with PS5. and this thread can stop chasing it's tail every 24 hours stating the Github leak is PS5 final spec as a certainty. Especially when Matt has stated it isn't the case.

This thread can be insufferable at times...

It seems like any theory other than the narrative that the Null Hypothesis is Oberon is a 9.2TFlops PS5 is shot down without any discussion.

Great post. I think and hope you're on to something.

LevCortez

Jan 12, 2020
Ok, so what does that mean exactly?

Whatever that means, does it mean no PS5 exclusives for 1-2 years?
you quoted an xbox fan boy. And he showed an image were their second point say their investors they can provide ps5 exclusives. Because of the big base of ps4 they will have a lot of "early adopter gamer".

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I actually believe that Lockhart is the MS server blade for streaming. There is no need to stream at 4K so why push it there?

The only issue with Oberon being a server chip is that it seems far too expensive and hot to be a cost-effective solution for PSNow streaming. If you were going to purpose build a blade for streaming and you weren't limited by existing design (putting mobo in racks) why would you design an APU that runs at those clocks with possible challenging yields?

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018

It seems like any theory other than the narrative that the Null Hypothesis is Oberon is a 9.2TFlops PS5 is shot down without any discussion.

Wait until there is the first reveal of the ps5.
They will show a big black box with a lot of cooling grids and say " 3 times the gpu power of a ps4 pro if you do the math " (4.2tf x 3 = 12.6tf)

That is when the fun times start.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. to both be true 10.4 is enough. and DF showed that on their video.
That's not correct.

The same interpretation of power has to be used for both statements (over 8x XB1, 2x XB1X). You can't say he meant 8 times the (power) TF of the base Xbox One, and twice the "capability" of the 1X. That's cherry picking only the data you want to consider, that's not how statements like this work.

If you interpret the word power to be TF (as I do), then the minimum possible result to satisfy both statements is 12.0TF. This is irrefutable because it's basic math.

If you interpret power to be "capability," then the calculation of GPU capability from current gen's GCN to next gen's Navi to get a final TF for the Series X is not very clear cut. I don't believe this to be the case, but accept if other people interpret it this way. If this is your opinion that's fine, but to make a stronger argument you should contain your reasoning within this interpretation of the word "power" applied across both statemetns

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I get a weird deja vu in here about every 24 hours... and before you know it, there's a new OT...
and 24 hours later, we're back to discussing what probably derailed the last OT.

Explain this to me.

Microsoft is building Xcloud with Xbox One innards on server racks. Eventually they plan to integrate Lockhart into those server racks instead to run Xbox One, Lockhart games. Yes/No?

What if Oberon is PS Now related and will be used as future server innards for PS4 games to run Native 4K? Mark Cerny has stated you need 8TF for native 4K. What if because Jaguar has hit a brick wall in development, Sony wants Oberon to be the heart of its replacement. With Zen. And maybe even the same Oberon hardware to run all past Playstation Generation games also. (PS1,2,3 and 4 by emulation)

If this ends up being the case, Oberon has nothing to do with PS5. and this thread can stop chasing it's tail every 24 hours stating the Github leak is PS5 final spec as a certainty. Especially when Matt has stated it isn't the case.

I guess the question becomes, why would Sony make something that can play PS4 games that isn't a PS4, and also isn't a PS5, when PS5 needs to be able to play all PS4 games anyway? It'd make more sense to build out server racks with PS5 APUs because then not only can it play PS4 games, it can play PS5 games as well. I don't think simply hitting 4K native is that big a deal for streaming, since the compression is going to muddy it up anyway. It's important for the video stream to hit 4K to try to preserve the detail, sure, but the source isn't as vital in that case.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually believe that Lockhart is the MS server blade for streaming. There is no need to stream at 4K so why push it there?

The only issue with Oberon being a server chip is that it seems far too expensive and hot to be a cost-effective solution for PSNow streaming. If you were going to purpose build a blade for streaming and you weren't limited by existing design (putting mobo in racks) why would you design an APU that runs at those clocks with possible challenging yields?
Maybe it's more cost effective to them if they can somehow run every past generation of Playstation with one hardware build matching Oberon's profile. That may also explain the 2.0Ghz tests.. may be more feasible in a server rack than in a console box where it's an impossibility.
Beats having Jaguars in there barely running anything but PS4 games.. or PS4 Pro hardware still not able to emulate PS3 games as it's bottlenecked by Jaguar also, for example.
In other words... maybe they deem an expensive solution capable of streaming every past Playstation and PS4 games in Native 4K as worth it.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
As someone who mostly lurks this page daily, it's feeling like every 24 hours peoples memories are wiped and the same ideas and arguments are thrown out again.

9vs12tf for ps5
Does gcn(?) tfs count the same as other types
Past industry/Insider comments being clarified
When Sony announced the reveal date for ps4 vs "why the hell haven't sony announced it already?!"

Round and round it goes and every time it seems people have set the matters straight it all gets lost again and we have to go through the same old stuff again the next day.

Getting real tired reading through this thread at the moment...

This is absolutely this thread in a nutshell.

Oct 27, 2017
Again, I don't want to seem crazy by expressing so much concern over 8 or 9x OG Xbox One or Xbox One S, etc

but why would they not just say 12TFs? If they say 2x Xbox One X, that's what it means, right? Then just say it. Not saying a number to me leaves it open to be lower or higher, if they're not 100% sure but have a ballpark of about 1TF

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Can the consoles stream games and do the ray tracing without lag? I haven't really dabbled with any of the streaming services.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Again, I don't want to seem crazy by expressing so much concern over 8 or 9x OG Xbox One or Xbox One S, etc

but why would they not just say 12TFs? If they say 2x Xbox One X, that's what it means, right? Then just say it. Not saying a number to me leaves it open to be lower or higher, if they're not 100% sure but have a ballpark of about 1TF
Exactly, there is a ballpark being implied. Because the clocks aren't final. It's going to be close to 12 TF. No need to commit to a hard number.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel

Explain this to me.

If Sony is building a new APU just for the cloud, an APU that doesn't resemble anything that developers have ever developed for, it means that each and every PS4 game will have to be ported to that machine. When Sony will launch their "Xcloud", it will be built out of PS5 blades, not a separate APU which developers will have to invest development time for it to run.

Sony already has a 4K PS4 machine, it's called PS4 Pro. If you shrink it to 7nm, it will be a tiny, cheap, low power and very cool APU that requires almost no R&D to make. Building a 9.2TF APU with 500GB/s+ bandwidth that needs to go into BC mode just to be able to run PS4 games as a machine to run PS4 games?

How about using a PS5 in your cloud? It not only plays every PS4 and PS4 Pro game, but it will also play every PS5 game. Doesn't that make just a tiny bit more sense?

I don't think anyone wants to give away hard numbers before the big announcement. If you have an 11TF console, just a 9% change in clocks makes it a 12TF console. I guess that both parties want everything to be final before they announce hard numbers.

Last edited:

Watership

Oct 27, 2017

You get too technical you cause PR/mass media problems. You don't talk about numbers at all you get technical voices annoyed and they start to speak for you. It's the early middle ground. It will take time after the launch even before we know exactly what's what.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Can the consoles stream games and do the ray tracing without lag? I haven't really dabbled with any of the streaming services.

Throw enough power at something and cut back other things like resolution and framerates enough, and they can probably do raytracing. Stream games while doing that? Again, depends on how strong.

Without lag? Highly dependent on the setup you're working with.

Jan 20, 2019
If Sony is building a new APU just for the cloud, an APU that doesn't resemble anything that developers have ever developed for, it means that each and every PS4 game will have to be ported to that machine. When Sony will launch their "Xcloud", it will be built out of PS5 blades, not a separate APU which developers will have to invest development time for it to run.

I don't think anyone wants to give away hard numbers before the big announcement. If you have an 11TF console, just a 9% change in clocks makes it a 12TF console. I guess that both parties want everything to be final before they announce hard numbers.

Sony already has their xcloud, that is why i believe the ps5 has a bc mode with the ps3.

Makes sense to remove the ps3 server blades since they will remove the ps4 ones.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I think it's worth noting that typically when companies talk about the power of their devices, if they don't specify a metric they usually mean "all things considered" so I personally don't think they specifically/only mean TF's. If a machine came out with 20TF's GPU and a dual core 1.2ghz CPU it's not going to be able to make anything comparable to what a machine with a 8 core 3.2 ghz CPU + 4TF machine would. You consider the sum of a machine's capability's when giving your audience an idea of what to expect.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Throw enough power at something and cut back other things like resolution and framerates enough, and they can probably do raytracing. Stream games while doing that? Again, depends on how strong.

Without lag? Highly dependent on the setup you're working with.

I'm just used to ray tracing being a technology on the distant horizon and it's now almost here, and people are talking about PS5 server racks so I just wondered if it was coming there as well. It's amazing how far we have come really.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Lucky for you guys I already did the math in a previous OT.

2x GameCube = 1 Wii
2x Wii = 1 Wii U
2x Wii U = 1 PS4
2x PS4 = 1 PS4 Pro
3x PS4 Pro = 1 Series X

1 Series X = 48 GameCubes

It's math.
This math is all wrong. Did not account for efficiencies ;)

Also, google translate does not randomly capitalize words peeps.

👀

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Sony already has their xcloud, that is why i believe the ps5 has a bc mode with the ps3.

Makes sense to remove the ps3 server blades since they will remove the ps4 ones.
Or just emulate the PS3 on PS5, QA the best PS3 games and sell them on PSN. Use a PS5 in PS-Cloud and have it play PS1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 games.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What if the tests were throwaway busywork for the intern to learn/keep busy, using old chips to not impede on anything important? That would definitely put a more reasonable timeline around the state of Oberon bieing at its fifth or something revision as we saw a few weeks ago?

It's not uncommon for interns to do basically useless work. I know my internship was pretty much 6 weeks of uselesss waste of time busywork back in the days.

Oberon being for PS now could make sense, but I don't know how likely that is. I still think these were just the 36 activated CUs for some BC tests and it's full form will be 54 cus (3 groups of 20s with 2 deactivated cus each).

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I think it's worth noting that typically when companies talk about the power of their devices, if they don't specify a metric they usually mean "all things considered" so I personally don't think they specifically/only mean TF's. If a machine came out with 20TF's GPU and a dual core 1.2ghz CPU it's not going to be able to make anything comparable to what a machine with a 8 core 3.2 ghz CPU + 4TF machine would. You consider the sum of a machine's capability's when giving your audience an idea of what to expect.

Well, Spencer said 2 times the gpu power or the xbox one x, so it is only the graphic processing unit.
But that does not really mean a doubling in the tf metric.
Maybe there is also an interview where he says that they want to reach a goal of about 12tf, all really vague sayings, that is how you do it if you don't want to show your cards.

BGs

3D-VFX Generalist and VR Developer
Verified
Jan 21, 2020
I thought it had become clear, but seen the seen maybe it should be clarified.

Perhaps the best translation would have been ... "It is no hint of anything. Then no one comes to say that I have said "something".

No estoy insinuando nada. Que luego no se diga.

If tomorrow something related to the consoles in the Sony Hall is announced, it will be pure coincidence. I don't want any kind of responsibility in this regard.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
And put everything on the psnow, what a dream.

Lets hope they go for it.
PSNow needs to become everything PlayStation. Having it run PS5 games means a whole lot more than running PS3 games. IMO in a few months or years, when Sony wants to make their cloud competitive with Xcloud, they will have to upgrade PSNow or rebrand it with a new name to PS5 based server blades. It will run every PS5 game and every PS4 / Pro game without developers having to write a single line of code. If Sony wants PS1-3 on there too, they need to emulate all three on PS5 so it will be available to both cloud and PS5 users. I doubt Sony is going to maintain PS3 farms all over the world in 2026.

Jan 20, 2019
PSNow needs to become everything PlayStation. Having it run PS5 games means a whole lot more than running PS3 games. IMO in a few months or years, when Sony wants to make their cloud competitive with Xcloud, they will have to upgrade PSNow or rebrand it with a new name to PS5 based server blades. It will run every PS5 game and every PS4 / Pro game without developers having to write a single line of code. If Sony wants PS1-3 on there too, they need to emulate all three on PS5 so it will be available to both cloud and PS5 users. I doubt Sony is going to maintain PS3 farms all over the world in 2026.

Yah i agree with you, lets hope it doenst take them that long to change.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I thought it had become clear, but seen the seen maybe it should be clarified.

Perhaps the best translation would have been ... "It is no hint of anything. Then no one comes to say that I have said "something".

No estoy insinuando nada. Que luego no se diga.

If tomorrow something related to the consoles in the Sony Hall is announced, it will be pure coincidence. I don't want any kind of responsibility in this regard.
Interpreting a bit from what I recall of Spanish. "I am insinuating nothing. It should not be said so later."

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I'm just used to ray tracing being a technology on the distant horizon and it's now almost here, and people are talking about PS5 server racks so I just wondered if it was coming there as well. It's amazing how far we have come really.

Honestly, I think the notion of it being "almost here" is over selling it. Ray tracing will be used in some titles and will certainly grow in effectiveness and efficiency, but even looking at the best video cards on the market, it's still a very large performance ask. I can imagine things like ray tracing being early on the chopping block if something like a scaled back version of a game was being looked at for streaming. Exactly what games will look like for future streaming is very unclear.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Honestly, I think the notion of it being "almost here" is over selling it. Ray tracing will be used in some titles and will certainly grow in effectiveness and efficiency, but even looking at the best video cards on the market, it's still a very large performance ask. I can imagine things like ray tracing being early on the choosing block if something like a scaled back version of a game was being looked at for streaming.
Real question, is it a hard ask because RT is tacked on top of games designed to work without it (for compatibility with most PCs) or is it always going to be a hard ask. Would something designed from the ground up to depend on RT work more efficiently?

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019
Interpreting a bit from what I recall of Spanish. "I am insinuating nothing. It should not be said so later."

what he really means is that "after not tell him that he said it", basically what he explained on the other site is that he is speculating and that by working in the industry doesn't mean that every thing he says has to be for announce something

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
I am so dizzy reading through this thread. Its like being in a washing machine lol.
It's like watching kids play sports

giphy.gif

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Real question, is it a hard ask because RT is tacked on top of games designed to work without it (for compatibility with most PCs) or is it always going to be a hard ask. Would something designed from the ground up to depend on RT work more efficiently?

It's both. Early implementations of RT are no doubt inefficient. But that sort of compatibly isn't going to go away, not for many years. And even when those are less of an issue, it's a performance intensive feature.

Developers will get better and better and using it, and they'll find shortcuts that look almost as good as a full implementation but have half the impact in performance, but it's still going to be a bigger drain than most lighting solutions. And it won't be the only feature vying for power.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
imagine how it will be when we get some actual solid info. sheesh.
It's only dizzying because we keep going through the same talking points over and over again. Remedy, GitHub, RDNA/GCN. and so on. GitHub is actual numbers and the discussion makes sense but there is no evidence of remedy getting acquired by anyone, a TF is a TF. I have no problem with bringing these things up but people need to at least argue in good faith not saying "faster" or "performance" when discussing a quote that could easily be checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.