• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's nearly 9am in LA, Cerny should be rollerblading to work now, when he arrives he will give the order to dispatch the invitations.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
isn't XSX rumoured to be around 56CU at 1.7GHz? thats the same

Yes, but haven't you seen that huge black tower.
There is no way sony could do that.

I heard now it is confirmed that the full specs of the ps5 chip are 36CU, well it is 40CU because there are 4CU per hardware deactivated, not more, because why would someone do that.
Also ps5 has hardware RT, but that was also deactivated, because why should someone test that function on the ps5.
Sony was unlucky they planed a release for 2019, and have now to go with the ideas from that time.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
if we assume they'll use 3 full weeks notice like they did for the ps4 reveal
It is not against you, but that is the main reason the sanity level of this sub became concerning.
I like this idea - you have a cooler capable of cooling eg 54CU @ 1.7/1.8GHz, so it might be able to cool fewer CUs (36 for BC) at higher clock for BC superboost
I asked that question 2 days ago and nobody answered.
does anyone actually believes that the PS5 is over 40CU AND running @2Ghz?
FULL POWAAAAAAAAAA.
I don't believe it will be at 2Ghz no matter what the count is baring exceptionnal situation, like the swtich is doing sometimesto load the game. But nothing more.
But I don't believe that SONY constrained themselves on the new console for BC purpose only. And we still have the unknown hardware RT from both sides.
think the best way to solve it is to be patient and to wait for the PS5 reveal.
Ha ha ha, you fool.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So... Rich says a next gen console is still using Jaguar...

Mark Cerny confirmed Zen 2 CPU and Navi GPU in April 2019...

So... to some it makes perfect sense PS5 is using underpowered notebook Jaguar in a 2020 console and not the Zen CPU that Cerny said in official capacity as lead architect of PS4/5
I don't even know what to say...

Sony , hurry the hell up and reveal it already!

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
giphy.gif

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

So... to some it makes perfect sense PS5 is using underpowered notebook Jaguar in a 2020 console and not the Zen CPU that Cerny said in official capacity as lead architect of PS4/5

He did not say a next gen is using Jaguar, he said one version of PS5 was rumored to use Jaguar like a rumor of some sort of PS4 Pro 2 idea rumor. I heard the rumor elsewhere than on era.

But this is probably false.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but haven't you seen that huge black tower.
There is no way sony could do that.

I heard now it is confirmed that the full specs of the ps5 chip are 36CU, well it is 40CU because there are 4CU per hardware deactivated, not more, because why would someone do that.
Also ps5 has hardware RT, but that was also deactivated, because why should someone test that function on the ps5.
Sony was unlucky they planed a release for 2019, and have now to go with the ideas from that time.

No one credible has ever come out with actual information to indicate a 2019 release.

It's easier to keep track of who keeps saying shit that is wrong and has already been problem incorrect somewhere else and see what their motives are for spreading misinformation.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I guess that makes me wonder, was it completely clear what kind of CPU was in what was tested in the Github leak?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
FULL POWAAAAAAAAAA.
I don't believe it will be at 2Ghz no matter what the count is baring exceptionnal situation, like the swtich is doing sometimesto load the game. But nothing more.
But I don't believe that SONY constrained themselves on the new console for BC purpose only. And we still have the unknown hardware RT from both sides.
I'll believe it if the refresh Navi series coming in a few months according to Lisa will run with 10%-15% faster clocks.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
He did not say a next gen is using Jaguar, he said one version of PS5 was rumored to use Jaguar like a rumor of some sort of PS4 Pro 2 idea rumor. I heard the rumor elsewhere than on era.

I have mentioned this before but this rumor was really strange. I had s friend who worked at Sony. One I asked him about 1080p 60fps he said that jaguars were so weak that our even shocked them. They were expecting much more from them.

Oct 31, 2019
* puts on largest tinfoil hat there is... ahem
What if leaked PS5 prototype had 2 APUs, one in each side in the V shape, one is for BC only and the other is the one where insiders say is close to XsX or even edging it out.

That shape always bugged the hell out of me and this is the only crazy way I can explain it.

Edit: ALSO Status 2 on the left side and Status 1 on the right side plays perfectly into this... oh god it sounds less and less crazy to me now.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Yep, I don't really see the point of dragging it out once you start teasing and talking about. It's not going to be a surprise and it's just going to be annoying if they wait until spring.
And remember me why SONY has to do that and not MS? Because the only difference between the two is that one showed the box.
SONY is the clear leader this time, they are in the driver seat and can do anything they want (like skipping E3). Don't think your thirst as any impact on the way they will handle that.

Dec 10, 2019

If that is true, 8.X TF GPU is more likely.
So in 2017 they decided to change from Jaguar to Zen CPU.
But then again. Even to consider Jaguar in 2017 is super weird. Everyone knew CPU and HDD was the big weakness of the current gen consoles.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
And remember me why SONY has to do that and not MS? Because the only difference between the two is that one showed the box.
SONY is the clear leader this time, they are in the driver seat and can do anything they want (like skipping E3). Don't think your thirst as any impact on the way they will handle that.

The don't have to do anything, I just want them to, I don't really care about MS and Xbox one way or the other. I don't care that Sony is in the driving seat to be honest, I'm just looking at it from a self interested point of view.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem

38:13 - till 39:00 could this be like some people mentioned in here the leaks we got or was this just PSNow talk?

I lowered my expectations as far as 4TF for PS5 so that I won't get dissapointed.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
What if leaked PS5 prototype had 2 APUs, one in each side in the V shape, one is for BC only and the other is the one where insiders say is close to XsX or even edging it out.

That shape always bugged the hell out of me and this is the only crazy way I can explain it.

Edit: ALSO Status 2 on the left side and Status 1 on the right side plays perfectly into this... oh god it sounds less and less crazy to me now.
This would be stupidly expensive.

I feel like we're getting way too hung up on PS4 BC and how it affects system design in this thread. It doesn't make sense that PS4 software could be that sensitive to a change in hardware configuration, even if it is running at a fairly low level.
I lowered my expectations as far as 4TF for PS5 so that I won't get dissapointed.
I... That would make the PS5 slightly weaker than the PS4 Pro GPU-wise.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017

Or Sony just uses 2 of these 8tf APUs. One for perfect BC and then the other one fires up for PS5, 16tf confirmed 😅

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It makes zero sense though. Jaguar was considered weak when this gem of consoles released and including one even as provisional wouldn't even make sense for a 2019 release
Well - I am not one to speak for what happened since we only heard about it through the vine... but yeah, it would have been a release I would not have liked. Probably completely GPU top heavy like X1X.
No, its pretty clear he is suggesting that this rumored revision of the PS5 seems to coincide with previous rumors that a system was going to be using Jaguar cores again.
That is precisely my suggestion.
PS4 Pro 2 ;) maybe one design when they were thinking the gen will continue much longer. Maybe Sony explore multiple venues and choose one at he end.
Hah. It would have basically been that.

BGs

3D-VFX Generalist and VR Developer
Verified
Jan 21, 2020
All-in-one as in PSVR2 can be standalone like Quest? 👀

Or do you mean as in functionality/features, high res screen, wireless, eye tracking, inside out tracking, room scale, etc?

Features.

Can you share something about ps5 and xsx?

I'm sorry but you will have to wait. Also, my information ends in DK1, so it is currently outdated information. Also, I have already seen things that I did not plan to see. So it can be said that they will not disappoint. Personally I am afraid that, when the time comes, my brain is not prepared to assimilate what ND (for example) can do.

Is time to live.

Oct 31, 2019
Have we seen a Prototype 2 from Playstation out there in the wild? We just assume it has the exact same form factor with Prototype 1 but what if they are different in form factor too? What if the 1st Prototype had used 2 APUs to guarantee a working environment for the game developers for releasing their cross gen titles, but with some more enhancements for PS5 that can test on old gen (slim+pro). All while Prototype 2 is just one APU in a form factor similar to retail AND only for first party studios that are going to release PS5 exclusives. So, this way guarantees there are no first party leaks, and no exclusive leaks for the development kits and also software....

Last edited:

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Features.

I'm sorry but you will have to wait. Also, my information ends in DK1, so it is currently outdated information. Also, I have already seen things that I did not plan to see. So it can be said that they will not disappoint. Personally I am afraid that, when the time comes, my brain is not prepared to assimilate what ND (for example) can do.

Is time to live.

I can't wait to see what they can do with PSVR2 especially after what they have been able to accomplish on the PS4 in regards to VR.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
If that dev kit existed at GDC 19, then it's plausible it existed at the time of the first WIRED story, and there's your "low-speed" dev kit. Everyone is happy now, right?

What I want to know is, how did Random Josh on Twitter hear about 9.21TF from GDC 2019 *and* $399 price info when pricing information isn't given to devs? I don't actually see any indication that he attended GDC, plus he talks to some dodgy people on Twitter, like Foxy...

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
OK Sony, I'm going to take a nap. Give us something cool in the next couple hours pls! 😃

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The don't have to do anything, I just want them to, I don't really care about MS and Xbox one way or the other. I don't care that Sony is in the driving seat to be honest, I'm just looking at it from a self interested point of view.
Yeah but that was not your post :)
Say "I can't wait anymore" and it will be more true to yourself ;)

Oct 31, 2019

Is time to live.
This speaks volumes. People can theorize all they want, but theories that say Prototype 2 is being completely different than Prototype 1 is imo vindicated.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Features.

Is time to live.
I didn't buy psvr 1 due to bad graphics but if that's taken care in psvr 2 I m all on board . I just hope they don't bring it out at same time as ps5 . Having to pay for 2 premium machines at the same time sucks .

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
This would be stupidly expensive.

I feel like we're getting way too hung up on PS4 BC and how it affects system design in this thread. It doesn't make sense that PS4 software could be that sensitive to a change in hardware configuration, even if it is running at a fairly low level.

I... That would make the PS5 slightly weaker than the PS4 Pro GPU-wise.

If Lockhart is going to exist alongside XSX. Well atleast no dissapointment will happen from my side if they announce anything higher then 4TF.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
What I want to know is, how did Random Josh on Twitter hear about 9.21TF from GDC 2019 *and* $399 price info when pricing information isn't given to devs? I don't actually see any indication that he attended GDC, plus he talks to some dodgy people on Twitter, like Foxy...
You're absolutely on point with this.

Interesting that this Tweet does match up to Github leaks, though. It's been pretty consistent at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.