• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Or maybe Microsoft forced Sony's hand to re-think and build a beefier machine because of Lockheart ? Maybe Sony found out roughly in 2018 what Lockheart's specs were gonna be and holy shitted themselves thinking that they would be more close originally to Scarlett but got caught offguard because of Lockheart?

"We need to delay this thing a year to get our stuff straiten out and at the same time eventually learned roughly Scarlett's specs and doubled down on improving Ps5 to be closer to Scarlett than Lockheart?

Man oh man! thats just a theory so I apologize if it's outrageous loll!! lack of sleep and a blunt will do that.
Looking at Sony's first party software pipeline, I doubt the decision to move PS5's release to 2020 was done in 2018. Also after the One X release, I doubt that Sony ever considered that Scarlett could be weak. I'm confident that any potential changes Sony made have little to do with what MS is doing.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When did Reiner ever say target specs and not dev kits? Both Xbox and Sony had at the verily least PC-part dev kits in the wild at that point in time ( even end of 2018)

1.) lack of ray tracing tests does not indicate lack of ray tracing ability.
2.) Yes Cerny said 8TF for native 4K with PS4 generation graphics. That is fairly irrelevant for this discussion as that efficiency would be at GCN level.
But imagine if Oberon is PS Now server related to run PS4 games at Native 4K (hence the clock speeds) and is not PS5 related at all. Would give us Native 4K PS4 games, as Cerny pointed out.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Imagine, if boost for ps4 titles on ps5 are 36 cu at 2ghz as Oberon mentions . Most of dynamic resolution titles would run native 4K on ps5 if They r hitting 1440p on pro .

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I though Jason said that 2019 was never considered as a release year. Even if it was, why would they care about power with a year head start and why delay it a year of you might still end up underpowered. That makes no sense

Jan 20, 2019
When did Reiner ever say target specs and not dev kits? Both Xbox and Sony had at the verily least PC-part dev kits in the wild at that point in time ( even end of 2018)

1.) lack of ray tracing tests does not indicate lack of ray tracing ability.
2.) Yes Cerny said 8TF for native 4K with PS4 generation graphics. That is fairly irrelevant for this discussion as that efficiency would be at GCN level.

On is tweets

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

That tweet is laughable. "
We will earn back your trust" but we will still have celebrities from NBA, movies at the show to make it better!!

Like do they not understand the cost for publishers? ANd understand the cringe that has been E3 the past couple years? There's a reason Nintendo got out, and there's a reason Microsoft uses their own theater. Same with what Sony use to do. Rarely past couple years they have suits from EA or NBA/FIFA celebs on stage.

I think Microsoft's last year they did this was 2 years ago. They even saw how dumb it was.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
me: oh a notification from the playstation account, probably something boring
unknown.png

me: oh shit its happening.

then keeps on reading

tenor.gif

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I was talking about some 2nd imaginary PS5 APU other then Oberon.It doesn't exist,it's a fantasy.

PS5 APU is 36/40 CU design, we just don't know the final clock for retail console.It could be 2GHz as in a Prospero devkit but i expect a bit less then that.

You expect PS5 to be 8TF?.....So Sony is giving Microsoft a 4TF advantage? This is the type of thinking that puzzles me about the Github leak and the people who stand by it, if you believe the leak then it'll be clocked at 2ghz and will be a 9.2TF machine but you guys go a step further by making up your own numbers to make the console even weaker. If you believe the leak then stand by it fully don't cherry pick to fit your narrative.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
1. ) but the lack of a higher CU count and clock speed indicates the architecture of the chip?
2. ) Ok, that sounds right.

well, i will wait for the official reveal of the specs.

I don't understand number 1. For certain the chip being tested was larger than 36 CU, most likely 40 with 2 WGP disabled to match PS4 Pro CU.

The thing is, they're all meant to be hidden and secret. Now, to draw conclusively from what has leaked, you have to trust entirely the mechanisms that lead to their leaks, that they always occur the same way accurately.

Does every piece of semi-custom silicon from AMD leak onto these DBs? I don't believe the MacBook Pro Navi GPU was detailed anywhere ahead of the product being unveiled. In these GitHub leaks, do we know what the intern's objectives were? What the point of the documents were? The necessity of its accuracy? Do we know that when file was created in 2018 and last edited in July 2019 that it was updated in 2019, or just opened, and saved as in 2019?

If you know the answers to these questions, that there are mechanisms you trust enough, that will always lead to the same documents in the same places leading to all products, then by all means, draw your conclusions. Otherwise, I will keep an open mind about knowns and unknowns.

I believe it was discovered a week or 2 before launch, yes.
Wonder what? What could have been or something else?
That tweet is laughable. "

Like do they not understand the cost for publishers? ANd understand the cringe that has been E3 the past couple years? There's a reason Nintendo got out, and there's a reason Microsoft uses their own theater. Same with what Sony use to do. Rarely past couple years they have suits from EA or NBA/FIFA celebs on stage.

I think Microsoft's last year they did this was 2 years ago. They even saw how dumb it was.
Earn back your trust is a reference to the fact that attendees and devs and Others private information was embarrassingly made public accidentally outing many peoples private information.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I am not knowledgeable about these things, just drawing upon what more knowledgeable people than me are saying and contextualizing with my own logical deductions.

I don't know if you HAVE to fit Oberon into some story about the PS5. There is a possibility that the PS5 is revealed and what is ends up being has no basis in the Oberon leaks.

If it HAD to guess and include the Oberon leaks, just because 36CUs @ 2Ghz doesn't make sense from a design perspective, is that the PS5 is likely in the 50CU range, same as the Xbox and runs around 1.7Ghz, same as the Xbox. The 36CU leak could be a PS4pro boost mode test, where they use the 36CUs to emulate PS4pro and run them at higher clocks to push performance because the PSU has the capacity and the cooling solution can cool it. It was an idea they had in the summer and they had AMD test it.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
Looking at Sony's first party software pipeline, I doubt the decision to move PS5's release to 2020 was done in 2018. Also after the One X release, I doubt that Sony ever considered that Scarlett could be weak. I'm confident that any potential changes Sony made have little to do with what MS is doing.

Yeah maybe but it's not impossible to think that both companies roughly know / knew for quite a while what specs each other would use mostly and especially having both Amd producing chips for each of them.. It would make sense that both consoles would end up being similar in power/performance aside the ssd solution they would use personally as they are not produced by the same manufacturer.. Ram would be roughly the same.. So if cpu and gpu are almost mirrored with minor differences to each company it would be safe to say that there's no way a difference of 3 tf would be justified by the ssd and ram since apparently both are performing the same?

I don't know more than anyone here but whatever specs or technical data they officially both end up with.. Both will offer a similar experience technically wise.. The difference will as usual be the games and 1st parties where both will shine on their own.. That's all I wish for.. Oh! And more PS ports to PC 😁

*im pretty sure they do know each others general specs I mean come on! If you work at McDonald's and 2 colleagues prepare a special secret hamburger for 1 client each.. Don't you think both would know each others recipes at one point in time?

It's human nature to dare the unthinkable and go after each other.. Look how the world is being run loll! Crazy shit happens all the time everyday! 😊

Last edited:

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
Exactly.

Chances for 2nd "hidden APU" are not exactly 0 but very close to that number :)
It's not a question of "hidden", just having an open mind. To rule it out in absolute terms you will need to have a solid proof that every single unannounced chip AMD is and has been working on recently has already leaked to public domain, and to be honest only AMD can tell you that (if they even care to track the leaks tbh).
I'm not disputing that the data in GitHub is real, but to draw any definitive conclusion from it is foolish.

Well, you can say that AMD definitely has worked a chip codenamed Oberon and it had frequencies matching PS4 and PS4Pro, that is it.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Just one question about disabling CUs for BC: what about power/heat for those disabled CUs? Do they still draw power and heat up, if so, considerably less or are they "active" but idling and using bascially the same amount of Watts?

If they don't heat up as much a cooling solution capable of cooling a die with lots of CUs running at lesser frequencies could spend it's cooling "budget" on cooling a smaller part of the GPU running faster and hotter than normally, depending on the configuration of the CUs and the cooling system, yes? You'd still need a chip capable of running at higher frequencies on most CUs, but IF the test for 36 CUs at 2 GHz is for some souped up BC using only a part of the GPU, maybe they can bin most chips of PS5 capabilities with 2 GHz on just a part of it, so they figured "why the hell not"?

I still think this 36 CUs @2 is pretty weird, but that's more fun to ask about than more infighting. The Server theory might make a lot more sense.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I think that's the biggest question. And if we assume there are more CUs we don't know about, than the biggest WTF is how the hell Sony is going to keep an over 40 CU GPU running at 2Ghz cool?

2GHz may have been a stress test for eg boost mode? or to exaggerate timing issues but reality will run slower? No idea - the actual speed being in a consumer box seems crazy unless they're going with N7P / N7+ which doesn't seem likely

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I don't understand number 1. For certain the chip being tested was larger than 36 CU, most likely 40 with 2 WGP disabled to match PS4 Pro CU.

I believe it was discovered a week or 2 before launch, yes.
Wonder what? What could have been or something else?

Earn back your trust is a reference to the fact that attendees and devs and Others private information was embarrassingly made public accidentally outing many peoples private information.

I know, and it wasn't the first time it has happened though. A lot of people have had issues at E3, like code getting stolen.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Wonderful post Albert. I have a question, is the development of two different APUs in parallel something that makes financial sense? Does it happen? For instance, developing an APU targeted for a 399$ machine and an APU for a 499$ and keeping both until a final strategy was formed? And if it does make sense, what is the timeline of such practice, in which point in time one will have to be discarded so developers can focus on the chosen APU?

PC GPUs get taped-out a long time before release, for instance the Pascal 1000 series was tapped-out 11 months before the first Pascal GPU was released. Consoles need even more time than that, they go into mass production in ~4 months if they intend to launch in November. Albert Penello had already said that both consoles won't get any changes done to their silicon a year from launch. It's probable that during 2019 all that was done on both APUs was tests, bug fixes, tweaks, etc. If at some point MS or Sony had upgraded their APU massively (and going from 36CU to 50+ is a massive change), it had probably happened before 2019.

The secrete APU theory, I guess anything is possible. But I would say two things regarding the secret APU theory (which seems like you don't really think is very probable either):
1) If Sony has a secrete APU that isn't Oberon, why do they keep spending millions on Oberon? It seems like we are on stepping E, if not higher by now, so why keep spending million on iteration after an iteration that they already knew in late 2018 that it will never see the light of day?
2) How come we haven't heard or seen a single leak regarding this secret silicon? We keep hearing about every one of the APUs again and again in different DB leaks, but this one has somehow avoided all of that.

So yeah, it's completely possible, but I think we both agree that chances are pretty slim.

The whole low-speed comment was in the context of the SSD, so maybe the low-speed comment was regarding the SSD which was some kind of stand-in at that time frame.

Even though the TF numbers are a really nice hit, I will say that the memory setup doesn't match the leaks, both Flute and Github suggest 256-bit interface with 16GB of GDDR6 while his post suggests 384-bit interface with a split 12GB GDDR6 and 4GB of DDR4. I'll also add that the 384-bit GDDR controller + DDR4 controller will make the die totally huge.

IMO the whole thing will stay within the CU. If I had to guess, the TMU will increase in size and the L0 cache will be added too. More L0 might make it too big and reach for their blood so it might not happen, but increasing the L0 will have great benefits to RT and will also contribute to performance outside of the RT realm. It's a win-win but it will make the die larger.
I believe Albert already answered the first part and said it didn't make sense. If there are two distinct APUs, it would be a replan, or a frankenAPU and the actual custom APU. I don't see the point of developing two unless you plan on two (such as Series X and S).

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018

No problem, i also don't really understand most of the things here ;-)
I'm just wondering why ps5 has to have less CU then xbox series x, i mean if they tested the chip in PS4 Pro "mode", disabled/not tested hardware RT, isn't it also possible to disable more then 4 CU.

Well, i'm not a pro on this field, i just like to play some nice looking games with as good as possible performance on my toy boxes.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
DrKeo Thank you kindly for the response.

So, if I am understanding this correctly, under your speculation, the capability of RT HW will be directly tied to the no. of CUs within the GPU. Consequently, by the sheer virtue of having more more active CUs, XsX's RT capability will be comparatively better that PS5's (unless, in the hypothetical event where PS5's GPU is clocked to a frequency which results in it being as performant as XsX's GPU, despite having a lower active CU count).

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
I am not knowledgeable about these things, just drawing upon what more knowledgeable people than me are saying and contextualizing with my own logical deductions.

I don't know if you HAVE to fit Oberon into some story about the PS5. There is a possibility that the PS5 is revealed and what is ends up being has no basis in the Oberon leaks.

If it HAD to guess and include the Oberon leaks, just because 36CUs @ 2Ghz doesn't make sense from a design perspective, is that the PS5 is likely in the 50CU range, same as the Xbox and runs around 1.7Ghz, same as the Xbox. The 36CU leak could be a PS4pro boost mode test, where they use the 36CUs to emulate PS4pro and run them at higher clocks to push performance because the PSU has the capacity and the cooling solution can cool it. It was an idea they had in the summer and they had AMD test it.
That is my take also on the leaks.
It does not make any sense to go for such a small amount of CUs unless they wanted to match perfectly the PS4 Pro.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
For me it is something that perspectivises the idea that a console at some time was replanned from an earlier release date.

<_<

I don't know what you expect when you give us partial information. We don't know the source, or the details of what they said. You are basically having a conversation with yourself and hinting at implications for others.

Just come out and say that you think.

Do you think the PS5 was delayed? When do you think that delay happened? How does your source's information fit into things?

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
Can someone explain to me how cu counts work and why would you need to deactivate that many to emulate ps4? Can't you just use all of them actively to run the ps4 games and that's it? How does it work? Would that make the ps4 games run too fast or render the emulation unstable?

Can't they just program limits to the emulation with specific settings without having to disable cu's?

I honestly don't know how the tech works but I'm a good learner.. Would someone please care to do a quick explanation?

Thnx

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Thats what I mean, I agree. Thats all we can deduce. I dont get how some people here jump on judging the type of GPU and CPU it may have had, maybe to push the narrative of the Github leak being accurate?

Like I said... we know nothing about PS5s specs outside of what Klee, Jason and Reiner has said.
Im starting to believe Oberon is for PS Now Servers. They cant keep crappy Jaguars running on there forever. Replacing it with stronger 8TFlop hardware and running PS4 games in emulation would even allow the games on PS Now to run PS4 games in Native 4K or better. And we know Mark Cerny already said 8TFlops is good for native 4K for PS4.

So imagine if Oberon is that. NOT PS5 hardware at all.
BUT
PS Now server hardware to run PS4 games in Native 4K.

Allowing them to make adjustments with advancements of Navi and Zen. FURTHER compounding why there is NO Hardware Raytracing in Oberon.

DrKeo , Jeffram What do you think?
IMO, whatever Sony and MS put in the cloud will be a modified home consumer console fitted to a server blade. I don't think Sony or MS want another SKU on their hands. There isn't any reason to build a custom APU just for the cloud unless you want it to have some other cloud-based purpose other than gaming. Home console design is already built to run cool in a tiny box, it will perform wonderfully on a server blade. IMO PS cloud will just have loads of PS5 blades and Xcloud will just have loads of XSS (for 4K streaming) and XSX blades (for 1080p streaming).
I believe Albert already answered the first part and said it didn't make sense. If there are two distinct APUs, it would be a replan, or a frankenAPU and the actual custom APU. I don't see the point of developing two unless you plan on two (such as Series X and S).
Yup, building an APU "just in case" doesn't make much sense.

DrKeo Thank you kindly for the response.

So, if I am understanding this correctly, under your speculation, the capability of RT HW will be directly tied to the no. of CUs within the GPU. Consequently, by the sheer virtue of having more more active CUs, XsX's RT capability will be comparatively better that PS5's (unless, in the hypothetical event where PS5's GPU is clocked to a frequency which results in it being as performant as XsX's GPU, despite having a lower active CU count).
If both platform holders are just using AMD's RT solution, IMO, according to their RT patent, the difference in performance will be based on clock speed and CU count. But there can be special customizations, like a data structure building silicon (like the powerVR patent) or adding more L0 cache (which is again, inside the CU and will scale with them). But if I had to guess, it will probably scale 1:1 with the TF count and clock speed based.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have a link to the tweet? Having trouble finding it pages back, could be missing it tho

Yea I have a feeling it's exactly like that . Some gddr6 and some ddr4 for os
Yes, I have been pushing this theory for a while, and there is precedent for it just looking at the PS4(256MB DDR3) and PS4pro (1GB DDR3/4 I am not sure)

I am expecting 16GB of GDDR6 and 3/4GB of LPDDR4.
I guess what I should've asked is, why 12? Why wouldn't they just put 16GB of GDDR6 on the devkits, and if it's a bus width issue, why not 24? And it's too much DDR4 for the amount of GDDR6, unless they're going for a PC-style split RAM design, which seems unlikely.

The DDR on the PS4 systems is really for background garbage, the entirety of games and virtually all of the OS still sits in the GDDR5. From what I understand, the DDR is used more like a high-speed storage than something to execute code from, and the presence of a good SSD should reduce the need for it. If they're going by the same setup, the regular system RAM would be 12 GB according to that tweet.

Do we think they're going for another RAM doubling surprise at the last minute? I doubt anyone, especially MS, would fall for it (or even care, really). All it would do is annoy developers at this point.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Can someone explain to me how cu counts work and why would you need to deactivate that many to emulate ps4? Can't you just use all of them actively to run the ps4 games and that's it? How does it work? Would that make the ps4 games run too fast or render the emulation unstable?

Can't they just program limits to the emulation with specific settings without having to disable cu's?

I honestly don't know how the tech works but I'm a good learner.. Would someone please care to do a quick explanation?

Thnx

Absolutely no pro here, but maybe take it as a first response.

History kinda shows sony likes to take hardware to get backward compatibility. It may not give much more modern options for older games like emulation, but i think it is the easiest and also safest way.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Agreed.
Backwards Compatibility testing, or PS Now server related. But highly doubt it's indicative of final spec PS5.

BGs

3D-VFX Generalist and VR Developer
Verified
Jan 21, 2020
I saw your post at the other place mentioning PSVR2 and the mindblown.gif. Is there anything you can tell us about it at all? Like what can we expect in terms of improvements over what we have now or possibilities? PSVR2 is my most anticipated thing next gen by far.

If it comes at a competitive price for me it will be the perfect all-in-one.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
If the PS5 uses Jaguar cores...

Well, Sony already confirmed it will be Zen2 no? But it doesn't hurt to play with the idea that Sony may have had plans for a souped-up Jaguar version for a PS5 releasing earlier. Wasn't the Wii working on that model : just taking the GC architecture and boosting it up, allowing backward compatibility easily?

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
That is how I roll too. I also thought the downplaying would end after what Albert Penello posted just yesterday . But instead it went into the opposite direction . I really hope for a reveal soon to be able to move on.
What I got from Albert Penello's yesterday explanation was that both Microsoft and Sony probably had the same available products from ATI to choose and tweak from. Bearing that in mind, it is not about downplaying the GitHub leak but trying to find a logic behind it.
Surely nobody would think that Microsoft would launch a modest system in terms of CUs, and I daresay that Sony did not think that way either. Consequently, why would they be testing a 36/40 system? The most logical answer that comes to mind is to match the PS4 Pro and test the BC.

Unless you would think they went all along thinking that Microsoft would go for a 36 or less system and got surprised out of the bush... Could be an idea. But not the one that comes first to my mind, knowing Microsoft's focus on having the most powerful system.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

I guess what I should've asked is, why 12? Why wouldn't they just put 16GB of GDDR6 on the devkits, and if it's a bus width issue, why not 24? And it's too much DDR4 for the amount of GDDR6, unless they're going for a PC-style split RAM design, which seems unlikely.

The DDR on the PS4 systems is really for background garbage, the entirety of games and virtually all of the OS still sits in the GDDR5. From what I understand, the DDR is used more like a high-speed storage than something to execute code from, and the presence of a good SSD should reduce the need for it. If they're going by the same setup, the regular system RAM would be 12 GB according to that tweet.

Do we think they're going for another RAM doubling surprise at the last minute? I doubt anyone, especially MS, would fall for it (or even care, really). All it would do is annoy developers at this point.

Perhaps they're confident that they don't need more RAM because of the speed of their SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.