• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
First time dev kits are almost every time kits based on similar spec'ed PC components. They don't contain any custom silicon.

I know, but the logic for explaining the Github stuff + some of the 9.2tf dev kit rumours seems to be that there was an interim custom APU used before the final RDNA(2?) APU was available. That seems far too out there to me. I mean I could potentially kind of see it if they did have a 2019 console in deep development so already had the design and had been through some validation runs, then sure do a small pre-production run of those chips and put them in devkits. I mean it'd still be far more expensive than just keeping 1st gen PC kits running for another couple of months but perhaps the dev teams would get far more out of it and the cost would be worthwhile I don't know.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see anything linking this to PS5, I just see PS4 and PS4 Pro CU counts.

What we "do know" is that this data is seemingly correct and from AMD. What we don't know is its relevance to PS5.

This whole 9TF business doesn't line up with anything we knew before, and as far as we know, nothing has changed.
So then you also don't believe Arden has anything to do with xsx

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
If nothing else it will be a very interesting story behind what Oberon actually ends up being if the final PS5 APU is significantly different because that would be an uncommon approach to have such different custom silicon still being tested at that point.
I guess... my take is that they had to have something to test their BC and allow their devs start tooling out for the new hardware on hardware that was very close to what they would be working with. On that iteration of the hardware, there was no RT.

All we are seeing are snippets of the whole, and we can't even possibly discern the relevance of what we are seeing.

d3ckard

Dec 7, 2017
Thanks mate, still confused how people come away with the PS5 being 8TF when almost all the insiders here and other places are saying both the PS5 and XSX are close in power. Unless the XSX is only 9TF?

Some of us have drastically lower level of trust towards insiders than you. I take leaked chip data over some guy on the Internet any time. Feel free to suit yourself though.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are you trying to say? I don't know how to read this. Is this saying you disagree with it being a huge disappointment or that you don't understand why the person will buy the console if they think it's a disappointment? If it's the latter, how do you not understand that people prefer certain ecosystems? Sony has been my primary console maker for years now. I've never owned an Xbox for numerous reasons and never plan to.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because that term is used loosely by fans and so we bookend that title. See "insiders".

Again, data is just numbers and doesn't have biases imbedded. Your "insiders" are the exact opposite and that's why so many reach for them because people are looking for hope. This idea that Xbox is more powerful than PS5 terrifies fanboys.
Why are your post in this thread always so console warring?
The git hub leak of course was real and contained AMD company both sensitive and confidential information.

What is not clear is the context of the git hub contents, which were far from clear. It is also 6 months old and oberon at the very least has already been stepped 3 additional times since then.
Welcome back

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I mean dimensions of the XBSX case aside for a second, the notion that the PS5 and XBSX are very similar doesn't not preclude a 9.2tf PS5 if the XBSX is in that range.

I mean we don't know what is required to cool a 9.2tf console solution. If we look at the PS4 Pro, the RX 470 was a pretty hot card and the PS4 Pro had far bigger internal volume than the XB1X which solved it's heating issue via an relatively expensive vapour chamber. We don't know the XBSX cooling solution, we know the volume, the venting and the fact it's got a single large low speed fan but they may done that to avoid the cost of a vapour chamber this time around and the size is not indicative of some massive leap in power.

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I guess... my take is that they had to have something to test their BC and allow their devs start tooling out for the new hardware on hardware that was very close to what they would be working with. On that iteration of the hardware, there was no RT.

All we are seeing are snippets of the whole, and we can't even possibly discern the relevance of what we are seeing.
Yes. We know from their LLVM commits that they're working on beefing up their MCA capabilities, but they are no where near where it's a substitute for real hardware. What we are seeing could even be an off-the-shelf Zen 2 and Navi10 die coupled together with a custom IO die.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
Just one question : what do you expect(not want) from both consoles performance, visually wise, A.I..gameplay?.. I don't mean hardware numbers.

4k/60?
1080p/1440p/120?
4k/30 with super realistic graphics /bigger worlds?
8k like they mentionned probably for less demanding games?
Super audio 7.1 Atmos/DTS EX and whatnot?

I'm probably forgetting others..

Anyways, my other question is if all the above fits your expectations or some.

Can all the "confirmed" hardware no matter the console achieve these expectations above and would 9tf be enough?

I personally don't think so.. That's in the range of 2060 ish maybe super. Even with the rest of the "confirmed" hardware, there will be bottlenecking issues at some point..

That being said it is only logical that to achieve half of the expectations which some were already confirmed by Sony and Microsoft it would require at least 10-11 rdna tf at least!

Like that other person said BG I believe? They are both awesome hardware and performs similarly with PS5 having a little edge as of the beginning of the month.

If the Devs are really pushing this to a real next gen thing .. You need more power.. If not the difference between this gen and the next coming won't really be that much of a difference.

We'll know soon enough for sure but I do expect 2 beasts if we consider what they said officially and "promised" to us consumers.

Has for tf's.. My personal guess would be 11.5 to 12.5 with a 0.5 to 0.8 difference between both.

And finally sorry for any spelling mistakes.. I'm French and coming off a 12 hour shift loll!

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Liabe Brave Good day, I was looking at your die diagrams again and I wanted to ask you your thoughts about RT HW and where that fit within the confines of your diagrams. Furthermore, what ramifications would that have for other portions of the GPU?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
So then you also don't believe Arden has anything to do with xsx
Honestly not interested in XSX so I haven't been following Arden rumors/info.

It doesn't make sense for it to be anything else than PS5. The logs make it clear they were BC testing. That's why the PS4 references are strong.
Could very well be a Sony R&D chip for use in something else (cloud, etc) why does this have to be PS5 especially since the whole 9TF thing doesn't fit anything we knew prior?

I don't think you bothered to look at my post.

1.) Matches CU's in both Gen0 and Gen1 modes
2.) Matches the GPU clock frequencies of the PS4 and the PS4 Pro in Gen0 and Gen1 modes.
3.) The ID is also associated with Sony after decode:
2G16002CE8JA2_32/10/10_13E9 Decode (Update)
2 = ES1
1600 = Sony Custom SoC (PS5?)
4.) AMD Codename theme also matches to Sony internal codename for devkit
5.) Notes about SIE requests in the GitHub spreadsheets.

What more evidence would be required to convict? There is no possibility of a PS4 Pro refresh on Navi with Zen2 if that's what your after.
Same as above.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
Okay my bad noone posted it here, but on the other side . Since Carmelozi posted the other post of him, i guessed he also posted this one.

BGs said that the PS5 had the better performance at the beginning of the year, but this could have changed with the new Devkits ( which makes the Github leak even more irrelevant considering this ). Obviously i won't link it but it's there.

There must be a reason why Insiders prefer the other place, y'all are pretty heavy on them

BGs' post is vague but his explanation matches other insiders like Klee and Matt have been saying for months. Having said that, the sources there are not verified and I'm starting to believe these are their mod's alt accounts. They don't ban "insiders" who refuse to be verifried - why? Because all this insider talk is generating a ton of traffic back to their site.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
is it possible Arden is PS5 related? Was it the only 'xbox' part referenced in the github that otherwise was all seemingly Playstation related?

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Goodness gracious......the reliance on that GitHub leak is getting cray cray.

You just misunderstand my particular stance. I don't have a reliance on the leak, but I absolutely lend more credence to hard numbers that have been validated by reputable sources over personal anecdotes with their own biases and agendas.

Frankly it's disappointing to see so many attempt to undermine the data so vehemently when that leak gives us the most valid, reliable insight into the hardware these consoles may contain to date. Everything else has been window dressing.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Just one question : what do you expect(not want) from both consoles performance, visually wise, A.I..gameplay?.. I don't mean hardware numbers.

4k/60?
1080p/1440p/120?
4k/30 with super realistic graphics /bigger worlds?
8k like they mentionned probably for less demanding games?
Super audio 7.1 Atmos/DTS EX and whatnot?

I'm probably forgetting others..

Anyways, my other question is if all the above fits your expectations or some.

Can all the "confirmed" hardware no matter the console achieve these expectations above and would 9tf be enough?

I personally don't think so.. That's in the range of 2060 ish maybe super. Even with the rest of the "confirmed" hardware, there will be bottlenecking issues at some point..

That being said it is only logical that to achieve half of the expectations which some were already confirmed by Sony and Microsoft it would require at least 10-11 rdna tf at least!

Like that other person said BG I believe? They are both awesome hardware and performs similarly with PS5 having a little edge as of the beginning of the month.

If the Devs are really pushing this to a real next gen thing .. You need more power.. If not the difference between this gen and the next coming won't really be that much of a difference.

We'll know soon enough for sure but I do expect 2 beasts if we consider what they said officially and "promised" to us consumers.

Has for tf's.. My personal guess would be 11.5 to 12.5 with a 0.5 to 0.8 difference between both.

And finally sorry for any spelling mistakes.. I'm French and coming off a 12 hour shift loll!
First 1-2 years a lot of games 4k and 60fps from MS exclusives

PS4 probably a lot of native 4k but 30 fps pushing graphics.

COD 4k and 60 fps with medium and high settings
BF 4k native sub 60 fps with drops like always

after 2 years bunch of multplatforms sub 4k, 30 fps and a mix of low and medium settings.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I posted it up there . The guy from the floor of gdc 2019 (one month before the April wired interview)said he heard the ps5 dev kits have 9.21 tf at gdc 2019 which is exactly the Oberon number :

Granted Sony could have just increased ram and called the new dev kit high speed . No proof of what's the difference between low speed and high speed
First thanks for providing the link.

let me explain how I look at the time line:
Silver Tower = PC component dev kit
V Shape Dev Kit V1 = 1.8 GHz GPU based variant custom silicon 40 CUs—> tweet you provided.
V Shape dev kit V2= 2.0 GHz 40 CU dev kit. 10.2 Tf more mature Oberon Revision.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
here III-V :
Here is what he had heard from devs at gdc 2019 in March:First time ever someone said the number 9.21 tf. Which is exactly the number from Oberon .

Thanks. By the way, it did not notify me of the edit. I found on accident.

Who? I don't know, do we have any solid proof that it's Sony?

Sure it could possibly be cloud related, but you can now at least acknowledge that it is a Sony product?

Also, where is the PS5 in that case? We already found Ariel and Oberon and there would need to be a third, still to date undiscovered product.

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow bait in the knee.

BGs

3D-VFX Generalist and VR Developer
Verified
Jan 21, 2020
True . unfortunately here few people get rude and passive aggressive toward insiders/devs when they don't like what they hear. Hopefully we can improve on that here so they feel welcomed and safe to do so here .

What is happening? o.O

As I have little time I will take advantage of this message to respond in general.

I don't know what kind of disputes exist between these communities but I neither know nor interest me. I currently have no preference. I have little time and I write where I can and when I can. At the moment it has nothing to do with any preference (time will tell). I haven't had time to meet anyone here yet to assess the situation. Sometimes I will write here and sometimes not. But only for a matter of time. The threads are moving very fast and I don't have time to read them all the time.

There are dozens of threads in both communities that are interesting to me and I haven't had time to read in the whole month. A month of madness. I hope to be able to participate in enriching VR conversations shortly.

I am sorry that this had to be one of my first messages here, but I thought it necessary to make it clear.

Cheers

Powered by Google Translator

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Could very well be a Sony R&D chip for use in something else (cloud, etc) why does this have to be PS5 especially since the whole 9TF thing doesn't fit anything we knew prior?
It doesn't make financial sense to cook up a separate APU just for cloud use. There's no other sensical explanation other than for it to be some embodiment that represents the PS5 APU in some meaningful way.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I posted it up there . The guy from the floor of gdc 2019 (one month before the April wired interview)said he heard the ps5 dev kits have 9.21 tf at gdc 2019 which is exactly the Oberon number :

Granted Sony could have just increased ram and called the new dev kit high speed . No proof of what's the difference between low speed and high speed

Wow, I wasn't aware of this tweet. That's either one hell of a coincidence or that's really the dev kit configuration.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
What is happening? o.O

As I have little time I will take advantage of this message to respond in general.

I don't know what kind of disputes exist between these communities but I neither know nor interest me. I currently have no preference. I have little time and I write where I can and when I can. At the moment it has nothing to do with any preference (time will tell). I haven't had time to meet anyone here yet to assess the situation. Sometimes I will write here and sometimes not. But only for a matter of time. The threads are moving very fast and I don't have time to read them all the time.

There are dozens of threads in both communities that are interesting to me and I haven't had time to read in the whole month. A month of madness. I hope to be able to participate in enriching VR conversations shortly.

I am sorry that this had to be one of my first messages here, but I thought it necessary to make it clear.

Cheers