• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

aweedswee

Jan 21, 2020
Greece
I really hope we get something today or tomorrow, either that be an announcement for a ps meeting or a date for a feb state of play. Would be a real bummer if we get nothing this month too.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
Got one appropriate for |OT 12| if it happens.

|OT 12| The first step is admitting you're a fanboy

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

PS Now, Xbox Game Pass, EA Origin Premier/Access, Uplay+ etc, it's clearly going to be a big part of the future.

But big blockbuster movies still exist in the world of Netflix etc, and I believe big AAA games will still exist in the gaming subscription future. And people will spend their $60 to play them day one.

Personally I'm a huge fan of interesting indie and AA experiences rather than the usual AAA stuff which often bores the hell out of me. And subscription services allow those mid-budget experiences to thrive again which is hugely exciting.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
User Banned (1 Month): Platform Warring, Long History of Platform Warring Infractions
Okay my bad noone posted it here, but on the other side . Since Carmelozi posted the other post of him, i guessed he also posted this one.

BGs said that the PS5 had the better performance at the beginning of the year, but this could have changed with the new Devkits ( which makes the Github leak even more irrelevant considering this ). Obviously i won't link it but it's there.

There must be a reason why Insiders prefer the other place, y'all are pretty heavy on them

Because that term is used loosely by fans and so we bookend that title. See "insiders".

Again, data is just numbers and doesn't have biases imbedded. Your "insiders" are the exact opposite and that's why so many reach for them because people are looking for hope. This idea that Xbox is more powerful than PS5 terrifies fanboys.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because that term is used loosely by fans and so we bookend that title. See "insiders".

Again, data is just numbers and doesn't have biases imbedded. Your "insiders" are the exact opposite and that's why so many reach for them because people are looking for hope. This idea that Xbox is more powerful than PS5 terrifies fanboys.
« How the enemy is stupid : he believes that we are the enemy but that's him ! »

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017

There's plenty of reaching from fanboys on both sides. The only thing that terrifies fanboys is the victories of opposing fanboys.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Lmao. Lmao at the entire post really.

But hey folks, let's not get derailed by this.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Just like the reverse also terrifies fanboys, right?

No not really. This thread is primarily driven by PS fans who really have nothing to lean on because Sony is near silent about the PS5.

The Github leak was verified by reputable sources and gives us real insight into the hardware (relative to anything else at this time). Yet we see the same side trying to discredit it time and again based on "insiders" who argue things like "negligible differences, dev kit performance, not indicative of anything final, etc".

Again, only one side is working overtime to undermine the data. Everyone else is just waiting for something more substantive but to date, that leak is the most reliable data released about the new consoles.

Edit to add: it's also MS being incredibly confident about their new offering by sharing the box, discussing the system and stating it's relative performance metric over previous consoles.

Contrast to Sony sharing nothing on its offering beyond a Wired article and you see where this angst has developed.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
There's an explanation already in my post why it would be more stepping than usual: because not only are they fixing issues with the Oberon design, they're adding things they only came up with for the successor. Put it the other way around: Assume Oberon was the first and only design, to the point where the only way to increase its power was to bump its high clock even higher. Then why have there been so many steppings? It's not a fundamental issue with a Navi/Zen2 APU, or else we'd have heard the same for Arden, Sparkman, and Van Gogh.
It's very difficult to add features in a stepping. There's just no room to do so if you did a good job on the base design. I've done it before, but you can't do something like adding compute ability. It's more like you figured out a situation in debug where performance was limited by something so you add a feature to mitigate it.

Last edited:

plow

Oct 28, 2017
No not really. This thread is primarily driven by PS fans who really have nothing to lean on because Sony is near silent about the PS5.

The Github leak was verified by reputable sources and gives us real insight into the hardware (relative to anything else at this time). Yet we see the same side trying to discredit it time and again based on "insiders" who argue things like "negligible differences, dev kit performance, not indicative of anything final, etc".

Again, only one side is working overtime to undermine the data. Everyone else is just waiting for something more substantive but to date, that leak is the most reliable data released about the new consoles.

Is this a shitpost?

Did he just say "Insider" without looking BGs up? And people wonder why Insider wants to have nothing to do with this Thread.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Lol I think you failed at the point you were trying to make .both sides are terrified of that and how Klee was treated was an example of that imo . But there is always hope that both sides learn and grow and reflect on their mistakes (just like I did )

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
PS Now, Xbox Game Pass, EA Origin Premier/Access, Uplay+ etc, it's clearly going to be a big part of the future.

But big blockbuster movies still exist in the world of Netflix etc, and I believe big AAA games will still exist in the gaming subscription future. And people will spend their $60 to play them day one.

Personally I'm a huge fan of interesting indie and AA experiences rather than the usual AAA stuff which often bores the hell out of me. And subscription services allow those mid-budget experiences to thrive again which is hugely exciting.

i agree and even the blockbuster movies didn't effect in revenue
because there is a lot of movies that gain more than 1 billion $ in this period

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Edit to add: it's also MS being incredibly confident about their new offering by sharing the box, discussing the system and stating it's relative performance metric over previous consoles.

Contrast to Sony sharing nothing on its offering beyond a Wired article and you see where this angst has developed.

MS have shared almost nothing substantive more than Sony. One showed a box, the other showed (behind closed doors) a controller. Both have talked about almost exactly the same tech bullet points.

the data may be authentic but its also gappy and old and limited in context. Plenty of room to apply biases to. How about - the data is authentic and means PS5 is around 9TF. OK but we don't have any real data on MS in those docs, and insiders have said they're close. So do we interpret that as meaning Xbox is *also* 9TF?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
EILI5 how devkit performance points to final specs and/or performance? Or, how would devkit performance discredit the data leak?

Please.
Devkit performance = real world use cases.
GitHub data = test data for chips that aren't confirmed to be used in any next-gen machine.The data itself could very well be 'real', but its relevance to next-gen isn't anywhere near confirmed.

Jan 20, 2019

Pls share with us which source verified the Github leak.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
i agree and even the blockbuster movies didn't effect in revenue
because there is a lot of movies that gain more than 1 billion $ in this period
Indeed, but this circa 1bn USD gets made at the cinema, not on Disney+ (if we take the example of Endgame or Black Panther). There is a difference between a service like Netflix that will deliver AA (and sometimes AAA) productions to their viewers because they want to redeem their "cinema killer" image and attract more viewers with exclusive content and Disney+ where the big AAA blockbusters are behind bars for a temporary exclusivity to the cinema and ends up on the service months later for a service exclusivity, once the billion has already been made.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Indeed, but this circa 1bn USD gets made at the cinema, not on Disney+ (if we take the example of Endgame or Black Panther). There is a difference between a service like Netflix that will deliver AA (and sometimes AAA) productions to their viewers because they want to redeem their "cinema killer" image and attract more viewers with exclusive content and Disney+ where the big AAA blockbusters are behind bars for a temporary exclusivity to the cinema and ends up on the service months later for a service exclusivity, once the billion has already been made.
This is a point that I keep seeing people ignore when bringing up other examples similar to XBXGP. PS Now, EA Access etc dont give you big, AAA games day 1 for free like game pass does so this is uncharted territory that could have lasting effects on the industry (or at least peoples perceived value of XBox games).

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

How old are you?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Pls share with us which source verified the Github leak.

Especially since sources like Matt and Klee countered it outright. It's funny to hear claims about the importance of hard numbers while ignoring that Klee, towards the end, was going off the hard numbers of the spec sheet he was given (which apparently does not much the Github numbers).

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019

The reverse too right? The idea of PC being more powerfull than both too right?

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No they actually say in the video take it with grain of salt and if it is to be believed to be final ps5 . So hypothetical case for their video

They do - they very keenly stress that a lot of key context is missing and to take everything as heresy. But at no point do they doubt the authenticity of the source of the data - that's all.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Github leak was verified by reputable sources and gives us real insight into the hardware (relative to anything else at this time).
Without even considering what's in it, we have no idea about the provenance, the timeline and the integrity of these datas and files. Just this is already enough to be cautious when hammering that is the ruthless true, even if it is.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They do - they very keenly stress that a lot of key context is missing and to take everything as heresy. But at no point do they doubt the authenticity of the source of the data - that's all.
Oh no one discredit the authenticity. Is anyone ? I doubt that . Everyone is saying the context is not there but it is for sure authentic. Sorry I misunderstood what u said

we even know the silver tower ps5 dev kit (which Sony calls low speed dev kit )was 9.2 tf from gdc 2019 ( March 2019 leak)

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
They do - they very keenly stress that a lot of key context is missing and to take everything as heresy.

tenor.gif

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This isn't the issue. Github is real, real data.

What it means is another story.

I took Snakeeee's asking on whom verified the Github leak as them asking who verified the documents were authentic and not faked like a random Pastebin, not necessarily the numbers within the leak.

Apologies to both if I misunderstood.

Sorry I misunderstood what u said

Nah man, I think the mistake was on my end - no worries!

Last edited:

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

Irony? pot calling kettle, etc.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018

Good post, I don't see any reason why games can't exist in two different mediums.

Console wars is serious business.

LMAO.

I love this thread. No matter how absurd the premise, someone buys in earnestly. This is why I hope they come in the exact same. Milquetoast lynchmobs all around.

It is hilarious to see folks get bent out of shape just to conform to their biases. Little they do realize it happens on both sides, the said poster is doing exactly the same!

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
The git hub leak of course was real and contained AMD company both sensitive and confidential information.

What is not clear is the context of the git hub contents, which were far from clear. It is also 6 months old and oberon at the very least has already been stepped 3 additional times since then.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My question . Why would cerny call the 9.2 tf silver tower dev kit( we know it was 9.2 from the March gdc 2019 leak) low speed dev kit ? ( even though he demonstrated the ssd speed on it to the wired journalist and it was 0.8 sec) to the wired magazine and say from April 20 the new high speed dev kit (v shape dev kit) will be going out to devs

why did they use the term low speed for silver tower 9.2 tf dev kit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.