• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
If Sony had a released a lower spec console one year ahead of a more powerful Xbox, it would have been a PS2 repeat. Sony would've crushed Microsoft unmercifully, and the snowball effect would have been in full swing before the xsx was even on the shelves.

The PlayStation brand is strong enough to weather any difference with ease. Sony knows this, Microsoft knows this, we all know this. That is why I have a hard time believing that Sony got spooked and reworked their console.

Even an 8tf vs 12tf console (highly unlikely) would have been a supreme victory lol for Sony. A 399 next gen PlayStation with a full year of the market to itself would have been a bloodbath.

Disclaimer. I don't think that the difference will be anything like that though.

I largely agree with you which is why i'm wondering why you think 8tflops is unlikely at this current time?

I know lol. This little argument is so weird. We'll find out soon what he meant by latest/greatest tech.

I think we know at this point. PS5 being far more advanced and up to date than Pro and especially base PS4, which PS5 is essentially taking the place of

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Because 2019 was never the target, and that there is some truth to the claims of the differences being minimal

I also agree that Sony never "changed their plans"...but i would argue that they always planned for a machine with a weaker GPU as opposed to the rest of the machine relative to Series X. Especially if they are aiming at a lower price point from the beginning, which is what i've been thinking.

They bolt on RT hardware and focus on SSD tech or whatever...i dunno, it seems reasonable to me.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just dont believe the high clocks. So if the leaks are true then it will be below those clocks and so 8-8.5TF.
Like I said before that would be a huge disappointment but I will still buy it day 1.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Are we still ignoring the fact that a verified Dev came in and told us the PS5 was performing better at the start of the year? Why on earth are we still discussing the Github leak then

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just dont believe the high clocks. So if the leaks are true then it will be below those clocks and so 8-8.5TF.
Like I said before that would be a huge disappointment but I will still buy it day 1.
To me it's a bit of fuck up on Sony part (I would still buy it ) to look at AMD road map and see they will be launching 60 and 80 cu gpus to market in summer 2020 and say we r good with 36 cu for holiday 2020. That's basically low end Navi by holiday 2020. Ps4 was even mid range amd gpu in 2013. So with all the money from PSN they decided to cheap out more on gpu this time compared 2013? We ll see I guess

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Ehhh, I'm with him on that one. I will absolutely be getting PS5 day one due to the ecosystem and the exclusives that I absolutely cannot go without (plus I can trade in my Pro to save $$$), but I would absolutely be disappointed in a $399 8-8.5TF machine. I know that massive upgrades to the CPU, storage, etc would still make for a good machine, but I would also spend the next 7 years wishing they'd gone for a $499 box with a huge visual upgrade for that price - just like how I still wish the Pro had been $499 with matching specs.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yes! Im a fanboy and like to support PlayStation but Im allowed to be disappointed am I not? So yeah day 1.

If PS delivers 8TF and Xbox 12TF that would be a big letdown for me.

As long as its cheaper, designed to be that way and not on the verge of exploding because its being pushed to the limit.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ehhh, I'm with him on that one. I will absolutely be getting PS5 day one due to the ecosystem and the exclusives that I absolutely cannot go without (plus I can trade in my Pro to save $$$), but I would absolutely be disappointed in a $399 8-8.5TF machine. I know that massive upgrades to the CPU, storage, etc would still make for a good machine, but I would also spend the next 7 years wishing they'd gone for a $499 box with a huge visual upgrade for that price - just like how I still wish the Pro had been $499 with matching specs.
I just would be upset because they spent money on haptic feed back, resistive triggers , 3 d audio chip, fastest ssd in the market yet they decided to say fuck it to the core of the console (according to cerny himself based on his talk with devs they wanted a powerful gpu first and foremost)

so yes Ofcourse I would get it due to my love for ps games but I would be very disappointed with 8tf in 2020

Klart

Jan 23, 2019
Agreed.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Are we still ignoring the fact that a verified Dev came in and told us the PS5 was performing better at the start of the year? Why on earth are we still discussing the Github leak then

Exactly, blows my mind that we have verified devs saying PS5 is performing better and we still have 8tf believers here. However let's keep saying it's 8tf, that they are miles behind MS, the sky is falling as hopefully it will blow up and Sony will finally be forced to show their hand and put an end to all this madness.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Jason, Klee and others can actually say nothing substantive. All we have is a githb leak which most people are assuming is real. And most also dont belive that Sony can ship with GPU at 2GHZ. So a slight downclock to 1.8 GHZ atleast, making the machine's GPU end up in the high 8tlflops.

No one said that though. I said that no matter what the power of the machine, i hope the PS5 in particular is a balanced machine because the Pro was very lopsided in multiple directions.

I just believe the PS5 will have 8tflop RDNA GPU firmly so i am basing my perspective on that.

Matt already told us to move past the GitHub leak...yet tou clinge to it as if it was a lifesaver.

8TF? Noone really believes that.

But you predicted 14M consoles sold in 2018 right? Or was it 16M in 2017? It ended up being 20M iirc

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yea i feel you wouldnt say that if you have 4tf advantage (8 vs 12) over your competition . You would say gpu is also extremely important .

Its maybe more a reflection that the general GPU jump isn't as large or obvious a leap as previous gens so they aren't focusing on it. Doesn't need to be a comparison to Sony - even if they were 50% more but still 'low' compared to last gen they may not see any point crowing about it. Better to emphasise the big leaps (CPU, SSD) that will really impact games and developer options

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its maybe more a reflection that the general GPU jump isn't as large or obvious a leap as previous gens so they aren't focusing on it. Doesn't need to be a comparison to Sony - even if they were 50% more but still 'low' compared to last gen they may not see any point crowing about it. Better to emphasise the big leaps (CPU, SSD) that will really impact games and developer options
True . Agree on that .

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe? Some people are and some people aren't. If you don't agree with the leak I don't even see how you can fall into the "we" lol. Some are just curious as to what the leak means in regards to timing and it's implications for the final product, some think it's the final product and seemingly even more people (such as myself) think it's not indicative of the final product. People keep rushing in asking, "The PS5 is 8-9tf?!" when every mention of it has dissenting opinions on every page. It's far from a consensus.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It'd be perfect if it's precisely 36 as well. I'm in!

36cu or more
8TF or more

in the end it doesn't matter. People will be drooling over their screens all the same when god of war 2, horizon 2, Spider-Man 2 etc is playing in front of their eyes.

people here have hyped themselves up so much with all the tech talk, they need to chill out and realise next gen graphics won't disappoint regardless the silly numbers.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
How sure are we Oberon was ever connected to PS5, and not tests for PS Now servers?

Yeah, this is one of the things I've been thinking about too. Iirc, early rumors from hmqgg was mentioning that about some chip for Xbox.

Could be a possibility for PS5.
the focus on framerate stems from the fact that their first year lineup will be cross gen titles most likely.
This is another thing I was thinking about. It fits with Booty and the no Series X exclusives from xgs, ppl speculating just acquired studios not really showing what they can do until 2 years into next gen. It all fits IMO.

|OT 11| But the Github said
In the running for the next OT title.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
User warned: Offsite Drama

Okay my bad noone posted it here, but on the other side . Since Carmelozi posted the other post of him, i guessed he also posted this one.

BGs said that the PS5 had the better performance at the beginning of the year, but this could have changed with the new Devkits ( which makes the Github leak even more irrelevant considering this ). Obviously i won't link it but it's there.

There must be a reason why Insiders prefer the other place, y'all are pretty heavy on them

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Okay my bad noone posted it here but on the other side .

BGs said that the PS5 had the better performance but this could have changed with the new Devkits ( which makes the Github leak even more irrelevant considering this ). Obviously i won't link it but it's there.

There must be a reason why Insiders prefer the other place, y'all are pretty heavy on them
True . unfortunately here few people get rude and passive aggressive toward insiders/devs when they don't like what they hear. Hopefully we can improve on that here so they feel welcomed and safe to do so here .

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Okay my bad noone posted it here, but on the other side . Since Carmelozi posted the other post of him, i guessed he also posted this one.

BGs said that the PS5 had the better performance at the beginning of the year, but this could have changed with the new Devkits ( which makes the Github leak even more irrelevant considering this ). Obviously i won't link it but it's there.

Can I link the post or post a screenshot of it here or would that be frowned upon?

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I would suggest not doing that, especially in this thread

Fair enough, the post was from yesterday and he clearly said that as of the beginning this year the PS5 devkit performs better. Of course this is dev kits so not final products from either but as it stands that's where we are.

Edit:

Just reading some other posts he made and he basically said in practice most people won't be able to tell the difference between the two despite what the numbers say. He also said "Personally I would pay attention to PSVR2" then followed it with a mindblown.gif. I can't wait to see what PSVR2 can offer, I'm a massive fan of the current PSVR despite it limitations.

Last edited:

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018

and this mean it's not 8tf

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
True . unfortunately here few people get rude and passive aggressive toward insiders/devs when they don't like what they hear. Hopefully we can improve on that here so they feel welcomed and safe to do so here .

And also insiders getting tired of people asking for information that they've already stated they can't give, plus using the info that they were nice enough to give for fanboy fuel. Mustn't leave that bit out.

I would suggest not doing that, especially in this thread

Yes, especially considering a mod came in a day or two ago and said if you want to discuss the other place then go and do it at the other place.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And also insiders getting tired of people asking for information that they've already stated they can't give, plus using the info that they were nice enough to give for fanboy fuel. Mustn't leave that bit out.

Yes, especially considering a mod came in a day or two ago and said if you want to discuss the other place then go and do it at the other place.
True it's combination of all those things . Hopefully we learn and improve over time 👌👍

Status
Not open for further replies.