• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
He needs three weeks to season his expression.

Nah it's just his favorite pizza joint is in NYC:

giphy.gif

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I don't get why the github info is constantly being downplayed. I'm not saying it's certain or anything but it seems like the most solid "info" to be in the thread outside of anything that Sony or MS has already spoken about directly. I may be missing something.

Jan 20, 2019
I don't get why the github info is constantly being downplayed. I'm not saying it's certain or anything but it seems like the most solid "info" to be in the thread outside of anything that Sony or MS has already spoken about directly. I may be missing something.

Peopel downplayed because of what Matt said, the same way other peopel only believe in that leak.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017

Because real as it may be we lack the context to arrive at any conclusion. Most people probably agree it relates to PS5 but it's not telling the whole story, especially when we have credible industry folks saying that the consoles are close (with some even giving PS5 the nod). It's just not adding up.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
With the PS5 rumored to have been redesigned in 2017, could the messaging for Scorpio/X1X have been an influence on that decision? It would seem likely.

Looking back though, it's almost eerie how consistent MS's message has been this time around.

While I do think that having no SX exclusives at launch is a bad idea, it shouldn't really come as a surprise. You have to admire their consistency in their messaging!

They've been saying this/hinting at it since 2016!

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil

It's just what seems to be a routine stress test of a chip done not by an engineer, but by an intern (the data available on the repo stated that much). For all we know, someone could have just passed a "here new guy, just run these scripts and do this tests on this chip and report back" as a minor task/test to give the guy something to do.

Some two OTs ago, there was a great post with someone specifying why the GitHub leak should be seen as incomplete data at best.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't followed these threads closely but it seems most insiders have said or suggested that the github leak is not an indication of final hardware.

Jan 20, 2019
And don't forget the original Ariel 2.0GHz leak which almost no one believes but has just as much claim to legitimacy.

It hasnt just the 2.00Ghz

First the consoles coulndt have a sdd, then they couldnt be above 1.6GHz. Their has a leak of the ps5 having 1Ghz and peopel said that it has with 64CU just to match the 8TF and then they find out it has actualy 1.8Ghz and change to 36CU.

The amount of times this thread has been wrong you whould expect peopel to have doubst of what anybody says in here.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but I'm sure they know PS5 specs by now. I imagine they've known PS5 specs for a while now, like the rest of us. Thank you Github!
Where is this Github repo? I've seen lots of people talking about it - but I've not seen any actual link or dump of info/files from it.
How many people have actually seen the actual source?

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
So every studio has to have had "The Last of Us" level success to be considered good? That seems like a ridiculous argument. Let's remember that Naughty Dog was purchased by Sony when they were still making Crash Bandicoot games.

The Crash bandicoot trilogy was a triumph in terms of both critical reception and sales, last I remembered. And the games were technically exceptional for that era...

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
What I do know is that nothing is changing right now :)

... except what we actually know, which could keep changing right up to an official announcement. Trying to piece together the big picture when you can only see fragments without context is always going to be error prone.

Kudos for your message clarifying the semi-custom design process with AMD. I think it was presented in a way that makes it really relatable for anyone, which is quite evidently needed here even though AMD is pretty transparent about how it all works in terms that make sense to those closer to their industry. People make fun of "secret sauce" and the importance of console-specific decisions but the decisions made and even small additions can have a significant impact on the final product.

Lockhart could just be a die harvested Scarlett.

The odds that your changing yields will produce the right proportion of Anaconda and Lockhart APUs to satisfy market demand are pretty much zero, forcing you to either manufacture perfectly good Anaconda-sized dies to ship to Lockhart customers, or stockpile extra Lockhart APUs. Neither one strikes me as a sustainable and cost-effective production process. You would also have to have a memory controller that can adapt to various memory types and bus widths. I think this is a safe "no."

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They had no problem flexing Scorpio's advantage before Pro was announced, which is why I find this strange.
They didn't claim it was more powerful then the pro before the pros specs were revealed. It's different. MS was strictly talking about there upcoming box just like they are now.

SPDIF

Oct 27, 2017
Weird tbh. I was expecting a repeat of XB1X messaging where they were wearing T Shirts saying they just witnessed the most powerful console ever. If they're really at a 3TF advantage then they'd be shouting it from the rooftops, surely?
I know you're just being (needlessly) ridiculously sarcastic here, but just to be clear, I'm pretty sure those t-shirts were made for the launch of XB1X - i.e. in 2017, after the PS4 Pro was on the market and its specs were fully known. When they first announced XBX1, I believe the words MS used were similar to the unveil of XSX - i.e. 'we believe it's the most powerful'. They weren't definitive with their wording.

But really, this argument seems to pop up at least once a week at this point. 'If MS are so confident they're the most powerful, why don't they come out and say so.' The answer if simply because there's a chance that they might not be the most powerful, and would therefore look foolish once the specs for both consoles are revealed. It's the exact same reason why, between February 2013 and May/June 2013, Sony never once touted the PS4 as being the most powerful console. Even though I'm sure they probably knew what MS was doing and knew they actually were the most powerful, they waited for the official unveil of the XB1 and for things to be set in stone before actually saying so and using it in their marketing.

Although of course, just like most people who make similar posts to yours, I'm sure you already knew all of this.

SPDIF

Oct 27, 2017
8:34 if the timestamped link doesn't work:

Sorry, but that's not exactly the proof I was looking for. '... consistent with our heritage in gaming, delivering the most powerful platform ever' isn't exactly any clearer than MS saying the XSX is the most powerful console they've ever built. I was looking for a definitive statement of the PS4 being the most powerful console in the world. The sort of thing that Sony only started saying after E3 2013.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, but that's not exactly the proof I was looking for. '... consistent with our heritage in gaming, delivering the most powerful platform ever' isn't exactly any clearer than MS saying the XSX is the most powerful console they've ever built. I was looking for a definitive statement of the PS4 being the most powerful in the world. The sort of thing that Sony only started saying after E3 2013.

Are you serious? He literally says PS4 is "the most powerful platform ever". Not theirs, but the.

You asked for it, and you got it.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

"Our fastest, most powerful Xbox will set a new bar for performance, speed, capability"

"Graphical power isn't the only thing Microsoft aims for, but it's definitely something it cares about, which is apparent when Spencer stated, "Our goal has always been to build the most powerful console we can, and I think we're there. We like leading in power and performance and I feel like we're going to be there again.""

Lots of confidence from Phil. Let's see if they can deliver.

SPDIF

Oct 27, 2017
Are you serious? He literally says PS4 is "the most powerful platform ever". Not theirs, but the.

You asked for it, and you got it.
I am. It's not a definitive statement. I'm literally just asking for a single example of where Sony actually say the words, 'the PS4 is the world's most powerful console'. To my knowledge, they never committed to saying that until after the XB1 was unveiled. That's all my point is. You're obviously going to want to be 100% sure of your competitor's capabilities before going off and shouting it from the rooftops. They make no mention of the PS4 being the world's most powerful console in their official press release from February 2013 either, which you'd think they would do if they were so confident of it.

Last edited:

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Oh, I thought the Pro was announced prior to the E3 that MS had the shirts. Apologies. In any event I still would expect them to start crowing if they have an advantage at E3. Starting that line of marketing during an investor call would be odd.

Those "I witnessed" shirts were from e3 2017. That was the year after PRO released.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I know. The poster was asking about those specific words and I was just saying that was only used with Pro that I remember.
blog.eu.playstation.com

Welcome to PlayStation 4

Today, in 20 countries across Europe and the wider PAL region, PlayStation 4 goes on sale. It's a huge day for everyone here at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe and, more importantly, it's a huge day for gamers. After years of hard work from our brilliant hardware teams, the most powerful...
11099041826_5ee463ce50.jpg

They used it for the OG PS4, albeit rarely.

SPDIF

Oct 27, 2017
In some territories they had advertising calling the Pro "The Worlds Most Powerful Console". I'm on mobile but if you image search you will find it. I don't think they ever did that for base PS4 that I can recall.
To be clear, it doesn't have to be that that exact wording. That was just an example. All I was really asking for is direct acknowledgement/advertisement from Sony that they have the most powerful console. As far as I'm aware, it was only at some point after E3 2013 that they actually started doing that. Which, to go back to my original point, would make sense -- since it was only after E3 2013 that they could be sure things were set in stone (barring a clock boost here or there).

Last edited:

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Those "I witnessed" shirts were from e3 2017. That was the year after PRO released.
Thanks, that was the way I remembered it. Which is why I was saying I wouldn't read into MS not crowing about the power crown yet. If E3 comes and goes and they're still on their humble shit we'll have a better picture. I expect them to use multipliers, talk about their services and show some games because I don't personally think they'll be the most powerful. But who knows at this point 🤷🏾‍♂️

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The closer we get to all of this to more likely I think we're getting a massive State of Play in February with the press being invited to a location to do interviews and try things out for their articles on the same day. It worked well for the TLOU2 release date State of Play and would work out really well here.

Here's how I could see it going. Do a 45 - 60 minute State of Play where we have Cerny talk about the PS5 and show off the box. In addition to that we get about a dozen or so trailers for some of the games that will launch on the PS5, some first party and some third party. It'll be a tight program with little to no filler like a stage show might have. After that ends we'll be able to look forward to hundreds of articles and videos from the press who attended the event and we'll get a ton more details to sink our teeth into.

That will tide us over until Sony's E3 replacement event sometime later this year when they do a MASSIVE blowout.

It almost feels like the previous SoP's have been building towards this. At one SoP they have the press there to try out TLOU2. They also deviated from only having the disembodied voice by having Ken Kutaragi directly address the fans in his little video segment which means it wouldn't be a stretch to have Cerny, Hulst or Ryan in there as well.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The closer we get to all of this to more likely I think we're getting a massive State of Play in February with the press being invited to a location to do interviews and try things out for their articles on the same day. It worked well for the TLOU2 release date State of Play and would work out really well here.

Here's how I could see it going. Do a 45 - 60 minute State of Play where we have Cerny talk about the PS5 and show off the box. In addition to that we get about a dozen or so trailers for some of the games that will launch on the PS5, some first party and some third party. It'll be a tight program with little to no filler like a stage show might have. After that ends we'll be able to look forward to hundreds of articles and videos from the press who attended the event and we'll get a ton more details to sink our teeth into.

That will tide us over until Sony's E3 replacement event sometime later this year when they do a MASSIVE blowout.

It almost feels like the previous SoP's have been building towards this. At one SoP they have the press there to try out TLOU2. They also deviated from only having the disembodied voice by having Ken Kutaragi directly address the fans in his little video segment which means it wouldn't be a stretch to have Cerny, Hulst or Ryan in there as well.
I'd be okay with this
Makes sense, seems logical and the whole "see you again next year" could've been a nod to the first Sony PS event of 2020 being a new SoP for the PS5

Status
Not open for further replies.