• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Now as for the PlayStation 5 reveal, it won't take place in February, look for a State of Play where they can show some new demos of games running on the PS5 and maybe some detailed specs.
This statement here is why I don't believe this at all. No third party developer is going to know when Sony's reveal is. I mean maybe it is possible that this person is creating a game that happens to be partnered with Sony and they are working on a trailer for it for the reveal, but my doubt is very high that Sony would give them all the details far in advance.

What do both these sentences lack that every other sentence talking about a physical component has? Numbers. If you're working on it and know the CU, ROP and clock count and the CPU core, thread and clock count you'll know the I/O speed for the storage. Staying it's the fastest SSD we've ever seen isn't exactly meaningless but it's incongruous with the other attempt at numbers, similarly with the descriptions of the XBXS SSD being so unspecific. Could both those statements turn out to be correct? I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, but those sentences are so unspecific that they could be right in any number of configurations.

This. If one managed to measure GPU parameters with such a great detail, one could run pretty simple SSD speed test as well.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Fuck dude when are we going to see GDDR6 ram sticks. Is PC going to skip GDDR5 as RAM?'

I'm freaking out and have no idea when I should upgrade.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Regarding Series X, why not confirm 12TF with DF, with who you have a great relationship, both working and otherwise, if you're confident about that number?

Sources within Microsoft did.

Of course there won't be official confirmation of a spec you haven't officially announced, that would be a bizarre way to announce things.

I think that any vagueness is more likely down to MS feeling confident they've hit 12, but giving themselves some headroom for final tweaks rather than the chance they might not hit them. Plus, giving them the chance to reveal their specs in a way that will be most advantageous for them, whether they feel that's a DF article or an applause line in a conference.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I have to ask this- In a closed box, what's the point of having a range when the devs will be pushing the GPU to its absolute limit almost all of the time? Unless Sony hard-locks GPU to 1800MHz that provides a specific performance metric to which devs have tailor make their games, they will undoubtedly push for whatever performance is available at 2000MHz.
Not every game is a AAA graphics powerhouse. Thousands of indie games will not be pushing the GPU to any limit. Need to lower power consumption.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Sources within Microsoft did.

Of course there won't be official confirmation of a spec you haven't officially announced, that would be a bizarre way to announce things.

I think that any vagueness is more likely down to MS feeling confident they've hit 12, but giving themselves some headroom for final tweaks rather than the chance they might not hit them. Plus, giving them the chance to reveal their specs in a way that will be most advantageous for them, whether they feel that's a DF article or an applause line in a conference.

The other thing vagueness gives them is the potential to push the clocks (they certainly should have the cooling capacity to do it, the internal volume of the XBXS is over 7000 cm3) if they can, to claim a largely meaningless TFLOP crown depending on what Sony come out with. MS and Sony will each know by now the rough ballpark of performance the other is in (if only by 3rd parties whining at them that x feature or y feature really should be stronger).

I suggest that MS not being 100% sure where Sony is but thinking as is most likely they're in the same ballpark of performance is why they're being somewhat coy. Around 12ft could be 11.6-12.7 (which is if they're at 52CU about the limits of a realistic clock push)

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
our new reddit leak:(please again salt as its just rumor)
"

OK, I won't reveal my identity at all nor the company I work in, but I'm someone working on a new IP for Sony's PlayStation 5 and Microsoft's Xbox Series X, I just created this new Reddit account just to dump all this info before inevitably all this gets posted by VG Leaks, maybe Kotaku and the likes in the next few days, maybe even tomorrow, understand that the specifications that I'm gonna post right now are NEAR FINAL specifications from both console manufacturers, so with all that out of the way, I'm gonna fill you guys and girls with all the info!

Let's start with the PlayStation 5:

1. GPU will be 56 Compute Units, 64 ROPs, clocked @ 1.76 GHz, 12.61 Navi-based RDNA TeraFlops with HW ray tracing. Supposedly Sony wants to boast "3 times the power of PS4 Pro" with the TF number alone while not taking the efficiency of AMD's latest RDNA architecture into account, kinda like Microsoft's messaging.
  2. CPU will be 8 cores and 16 threads clocked @ 3.2 GHz.
  3. RAM will be 16 GB GDDR6 this time with 3GB for the OS and 13 for the game to work with.
  4. NVMe Solid State Drive is the fastest SSD we've ever seen, much faster than Xbox Series X's SSD.
  5. Backwards Compatible with all of the PS4 games, don't know if it will support PS1/PS2/PS3 games.
Now for the Xbox Series X:

1. GPU will be 52 Compute Units, 64 ROPs, clocked @ 1.85 GHz, 12.31 Navi-based RDNA TeraFlops with HW ray tracing.
  2. CPU will be 8 cores and 16 threads clocked @ 3.5 GHz.
  3. RAM will be 16 GB GDDR6 with 3 GB for OS and 13 GB for the games.
  4. Very fast NVMe SSD faster than almost every SSD out there, but still slower than some of the fastest and slower than PS5's SSD.
  5. Backwards Compatible with all Xbox One, Xbox 360 and some Original Xbox games.
Now as for the PlayStation 5 reveal, it won't take place in February, look for a State of Play where they can show some new demos of games running on the PS5 and maybe some detailed specs.

Both consoles are extremely powerful and we are very delighted to be working with such machines that will truly deliver full next generation experiences.

That's all from me, good bye!

"

I have some issues with this. wasnt arden 54 cu ? also upto now whatever we have seen sony had higher clocked gpu but somehow MS for retail unit will have higher clock gpu than sony?

doesn't make much sense imo.

Gives specific CU and clocks but no SSD numbers. Come on.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
great that you put up the chart ,analysis and your input here But man holding GitHub is killing your view.

There are many possibility to that test and it might not even be what we see it is. How this not clicked in your mind. While its just predication from info that seem credible because its AMD testing data, But all your input is directly influence by it.

anyway it just what i thought about your chart.

Github shouldn't be anyone prediction source.

" Targeting " at least justified 12TF until official MS announcement.
Yes there are many tests that we did not see. But the tests themselves are not the interesting point of the Github leak. GitHub contained data telling us the Gen2 full CU count. That is not something I came up with, but DrKeo. That info makes it so interesting , not any of the test results. And that data wouldn't have changed if for instance RT testing would have been leaked too. Why should I ignore real data?

Last edited:

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
User Banned (5 days): Platform warring and trolling; accumulated infractions
I will never get the love resetera has for Xbox lmao.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I would like to have a real difference, like between the Xbox One (the first one, with Kinect) and PlayStation 4, or between PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch. But if it isn't possible, something like PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X (not the same price and one console really most powerfull) would be enough for me.

I will play all Microsoft games on PC and I will buy a PlayStation 5 day one, so I hope Microsoft will give me a real reason to buy a Xbox Series. For example, I bought a Xbox One S because it was the only console with a 4K blu-ray disc-drive (I never played any game on it, I just use it for 4K blu-ray).
Strangest post I have read in a while.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
It's nothing to do with 'want' - anyone with half a brain would love everything to be equal and both boxes to be mighty (which certainly sounds like what we're getting). Seriously discussing what seems to be the most likely outcome however doesn't mean we don't want things to be equally powerful in whatever metric.

They are toys. The panic in this thread about one being 'better' than the other is exhausting. They both sound great.
It has everything to do with 'want'. What seems to be the most likely outcome to you? It sure as hell isn't a difference of 30 % GPU-wise (12 vs 9.2). Not a single credible insider has claimed this, not a single one. They've claimed that they're essentially identical.

I'm just tired of this narrative that's still being pushed.

So it's not only a matter of merely wanting the best case scenario, it's that the best case scenario actually seems to be the most plausible.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Probably yelling into the void here, but there isn't a single YouTube personality I'd recommend for next gen news. They all have some mixture of lack of technical rigor, leaps of logic, sensationalist claims, platform bias, and conflating rumors as facts.

YouTube by its nature rewards these flaws.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Probably yelling into the void here, but there isn't a single YouTube personality I'd recommend for next gen news. They all have some mixture of lack of technical rigor, leaps of logic, sensationalist claims, platform bias, and conflating rumors as facts.
Agreed. But some of them you can still use as a heads up for general tech news (coreteks, redgaming, adored).

Last edited:

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
The CPU jump and SSD as baseline is what's gonna make a difference. Couldn't care less about the GPU jump, as long as it's properly hardware balanced
Exactly. Last-gen consoles were RAM limited, current-gen solved those issues but were limited elsewhere (severely by CPU, I/O). There's also memory bandwidth limitations to some degree, it seems. Next-gen is solving CPU and I/O limitation and will likely be predominantly GPU-bound, imo, judging from the little info we've gotten so far.

Last edited:

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Is he banned or something ?
EPbxPsuWAAATm-M

I dunno if he is banned but....lol, he is not insider, he don't know more than us.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India

The only people I'd recommend on YouTube are Digital Foundry and NXGamer for all things technical about next-gen hardware/news.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It has everything to do with 'want'. What seems to be the most likely outcome to you? It sure as hell isn't a difference of 30 % GPU-wise (12 vs 9.2). Not a single credible insider has claimed this, not a single one. They've claimed that they're essentially identical.

I'm just tired of this narrative that's still being pushed.

So it's not only a matter of merely wanting the best case scenario, it's that the best case scenario actually seems to be the most plausible.

Why on Earth does anyone "want" that? If it's just for the sake of console warz, I'd hope we were all a bit older than that to give a shit.

I believe a 9.2TF PS5 is the most likely outcome, considering it's the only thing that we've actually seen for ourselves, and based on what we know about the length of time it takes to change these things.
I am happy with that. Any device which I can play the inevitable Bloodborne 2 on can only be brilliant. If I'm wrong and the PS5 has more than that - I only stand to gain.

I don't think there are any credible insiders who are talking right now. If you think there are, that's great, this is all speculation. But you can't shut down a very sound theory as nothing more than a "narrative" just because you evidently don't like it.

Don't waste your time, YouTube is a disaster. It's all in the name of winding people up for clicks over an actual interest in technology.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I learned Tidux was full of shit years ago when they would continually string along the SOCOM community with teases of an imminent announcement regarding the franchise.

Still waiting..

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Why? I could buy every console, but games won't be the only reason, because I have a PC. So I hope there will be something else.
Oh I agree with your logic, its the basis of your suggestions I find strange. Particularly, the power gap thing. Why would anyone want that? Especially someone that admittedly says they are doing their gaming primarily on a PC. Surely you don't have to spend $3-500 for a4k BluRay player if you have a PC. You can get an external 4k BluRay drive for under $120.

If by different you are talking about things like resistive triggers, PSvr, Kinect 3.0, Switch like portability...etc ten there is nothing wrong with that. But if you are talking about a power difference as a positive, and things like 4k BluRay where there are otherwise cheaper solutions.... then it just sounds strange.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I believe a 9.2TF PS5 is the most likely outcome, considering it's the only thing that we've actually seen for ourselves, and based on what we know about the length of time it takes to change these things.
I am happy with that. Any device which I can play the inevitable Bloodborne 2 on can only be brilliant. If I'm wrong and the PS5 has more than that - I only stand to gain.
We've seen a 9.2TF PS5 for ourselves?

If we are all being honest here, NO ONE knows what we have seen. Or what it means. I must probably be sounding like a broken record here, but information without context is just as bad as throwing assumptions. And assumptions should never be the basis of any constructive theory.

Do you know what it takes to get a 9.2TF PS5? here.. let me list out the possibilities for you and leave you to figure out what's wrong with any of them.

• 40CU ( 36CU active) GPU clocked at 2Ghz in a retail box. 9.2TF.
  • 40CU (40CU active) GPU clocked at 1.8Ghz. 9.2TF.
  • 44CU (40CU active) GPU clocked at 1.8Ghz . 9.2TF.
Now make no mistake, I am not saying it's impossible to see a sub 10TF GPU in the PS5. It's possible. I am however saying that if we are basing this on "what we know", then its impossible that we get even up to 9.2TF in a PS5. Well, not impossible.Just extremely impractical.

So if we are going to double-down on the "what we have seen for ourselves" thing, then, by all means, lets. But let's keep that to 8.4TF at best. Cause any practical reason or theory we may have as to why we would end up getting more than that; in itself makes believing it will be 9.2TF stupid.

I've lited out the possible ways to land at 9.2TF. And every single one of them has an insurmountable flaw in reasoning and/or practicality.

Go on, I implore anyone here to look at that list and talk about which one is possible or why its likely, I would explain why its impractical, you will counter with a theory or possibility.... and I will counter with why that is counterintuitive your original theory.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They try to be cryptic and announce the PS meeting for 9th Feb. So they just have a big ad that flashes up "9.2"

things don't go well.
They have 9.2 flash on the screen...

They then have Mark Cerny say "The 9.2 meant we are going to talk about the future of Playstation on 2/9/2020, I think I was being a bit ambiguous with that 9.2 , the words I think you were looking for was the 9th of February Two Thousand And Twenty"

And this thread will still jump 200 pages and many would still say it was cryptic proof PS5 is 9.2TFlops.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017

If we are all being honest here, NO ONE knows what we have seen. Or what it means. I must probably be sounding like a broken record here, but information without context is just as bad as throwing assumptions. And assumptions should never be the basis of any constructive theory.

Do you know what it takes to get a 9.2TF PS5? here.. let me list out the possibilities for you and leave you to figure out what's wrong with any of them.

Now make no mistake, I am not saying it's impossible to see a sub 10TF GPU in the PS5. It's possible. I am however saying that if we are basing this on "what we know", then its impossible that we get even up to 9.2TF in a PS5. Well, not impossible.Just extremely impractical.

So if we are going to double-down on the "what we have seen for ourselves" thing, then, by all means, lets. But let's keep that to 8.4TF at best. Cause any practical reason or theory we may have as to why we would end up getting more than that; in itself makes believing it will be 9.2TF stupid.

I've lited out the possible ways to land at 9.2TF. And every single one of them has an insurmountable flaw in reasoning and/or practicality.
It's insane because Option 1 and 2 are both unicorn products. Having to only use a GPU that can hit 2Ghz or a perfect 40/40 gpu would kill the yield on each wafer. It would probably make the PS5 more expensive for Sony then retooling the whole thing.

Dec 10, 2019

I said this the whole time.
9.2 TF is the most unlikely.
Ps5 is either 8.X TF or around 11TF with a wider GPU

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017

Go on, I implore anyone here to look at that list and talk about which one is possible or why its likely, I would explain why its impractical, you will counter with a theory or possibility.... and I will counter with why that is counterintuitive your original theory.
Good post.

Status
Not open for further replies.