• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Antagonizing Another User; Prior Warning for Similar Behavior
I have been reading Era for years. I followed it and I know what was going on well before I registered. It not often new consoles come out, and the speculation is fun. The reveals are fun, and the meltdowns are even funnier.
Thought I might join in.

Wow you have years of lurking.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow you have years of lurking.

giphy.gif

It works! Thank you friends.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Red tech gaming has a new video where he mentions he has talked with his source in a big AAA 3rd party studio and the guy has told him ps5 and xsx are so close in power that it should be considered identical. Again falls in line with what jschreier has told us

I still think that's the most likely scenario.

If both consoles are at the same price point they're going to be pretty much neck and neck in performance. We're talking about them using largely the same OEM vendor and design set for the APU (they're probably going to be ~5% in total compute and it's likely that each will have areas where it is a slight performance leader* and you might have some architectural changes but they've both got very talented engineers and a similar set of requirements). If you were to ask me I'd probably say all things being equal I imagine MS will push harder (including a last minute clock push like last time) to try to get an on paper GPU 'win' if they can as they're in more need of a PR win but even if they get there it's probably going to be a nominal advantage.

If the consoles are at differing price point or in the unlikely (imho) event one company decides to take a sizably bigger bath on each console sold then you might get some larger delta. I don't see that happening: Sony frankly doesn't need to and I don't think MS will push the boat out that far given their dual Console/PC gamepass model.

If the PS5 has a similar APU to the XBSX it's going to be in a big case. The internal volume for the XBSX is around 7936 cubic cm's, the XBX was around 4320, and the PS4 Pro was actually near 5000cm3 (just from a calculations of the dimensions).

*I'd probably say MS went in with a 'stronger' CPU and I'd expect both to be in the same ballpark with the GPU with MS using their mini tower design to try to push the clocks to get a PR bulletpoint if possible. Sony's investments and some of their BOM will have went in the haptics et al on the new Dualshock and on their SSD, and I wouldn't be surprised if Sony have more performant memory.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It's a lot to ask developers to do slices of gameplay, I think it's one of the reasons, besides the obvious one that Sony doesn't have a ton of PS4 games in development anymore, that Sony hasn't been going to as many shows as they did earlier in the gen.
It is not that much, it is the job of video editor. And I was talking about XB SX games...

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
That looks incredible. Hopefully a real upgrade in CPU power will look this kind of thing.
Hair simulation is probably running on the GPU. CPU physics is more gameplay-related, things like destructible environments. Physics that are more "for show", things like sparks flying everywhere in the Godfall gameplay video, are running on the GPU. Hair is more of the latter type.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not most creative either but there's such an abundance of talent at Ninja Theory I expect them to be Microsoft Studio's premier developer in the coming generation. They have the potential to position themselves right up against Sony's WWS, not in just creatively but also technologically. With such a small team they absolutely delivered with Hellbalde a couple of years ago.

Console racing sims are a special case. The bottom line is we expect Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo to provide benchmarks of a platforms capabilities so there's a lot of pressure to deliver, not just for us but also the press. It's a baseline comparison that's made every generation. Luckily they usually so deliver in different ways but it means Forza Motorsport should be there day one with exclusive XBOX Series X features.

Agreed with Forza Horizon 5. The same core in a different shell would work. Forza Horizon 4 look incredible so a fully specc'd Forza Horizon 5 on XBOX One X would be jaw-dropping.

Yeah I'm simply amazed by what Ninja Theory has be able to accomplish with such small teams. They've got my complete trust.

I think Forza Motorsport will play and especially, look fantastic on XSX, even as a cross-gen game. I think the genre is incredibly scalable anyway, so the XSX visuals will be unmistakably next-gen. The old gen version will look really good, but The new gen version will utilize the extra processing power to hit at 4k60FPS, and still have plenty left in the tank to push visuals and effects that exceed any racing game in existence. Not to mention ray-tracing. With the SSD, we'll get the instant loadtimes, and higher quality streaming assets, so I imagine environments will be much improved over the current-gen version.

As such, I don't see the value in making it next-gen only and cutting out a large portion of sim fans who wont have the hardware to play it. It's too niche a market to get returns out of that approach. Just make sure The XSX version stands head and shoulders above the rest.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, you brought up Klee, not me. I was just generally discussing insiders and why so many have gone quiet.

The line you quoted was referring to the fact that we are likely weeks away from knowing the exact specs of both consoles. So anyone showing up now and commenting is risking being confirmed wrong very soon after.
Than i totally misunderstood you and own you a apology. I am sorry for that.

But than i don't understand your comments to me? Were you just preemptively calling and assuming someone is wrong? Because why wouldn't someone leak specs, this close to formal information, if they weren't sure?

Again, I am apologizing for the way this conversation went.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playable demos ? It's been a long time we didn't saw playable demos on stage.
What are you talking about !
Eeyore is talking about creating a demo for shows. It takes time, planning and optimization to create a demo. He is talking about the game demo itself(the one that gets recorded) and you are talking about the recorded session of that game demo.

edit: Perhaps i'm totally wrong

Back to work.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Eeyore is talking about creating a demo for shows. It takes time, planning and optimization to create a demo. He is talking about the game demo itself(the one that gets recorded) and you are talking about the recorded session of that game demo.

edit: Perhaps i'm totally wrong

Back to work.
I am talking about Gameplay trailer. You don't need a "demo" to do it.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Playable demos ? It's been a long time we didn't saw playable demos on stage.
What are you talking about !

I'm not talking about on stage. Perhaps you've never been to a show but there is playable demos that are made for industry people and the press to play. It isn't just a recorded trailer. It's a lot of effort for developers to make these which is what I was talking about.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I'm not talking about on stage. Perhaps you've never been to a show but there is playable demos that are made for industry people and the press to play. It isn't just a recorded trailer. It's a lot of effort for developers to make these which is what I was talking about.
But this is not what I am talking about so why do you change the subject ?

Oct 27, 2017
Apple do it all the time, so weird take.

This is something that I've been thinking for a while. I'm not sure why people are so sure that Sony/MS need to give 3+ weeks for press to get organised.

Apple give like 2 weeks and every media organisation will make sure they are there. If the press want to be able to cover an event, they they will absolutely find a way to be at it. They won't pass up an opportunity and miss out on that part of the news cycle.

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The most likely scenario for everything we've heard on PS5 till now is this:

1. Sony was originally planning to launch PS5 at the end of 2019, based on RDNA1, 36CU, Zen2, etc. This makes sense if you consider the timeline between PS4 and Pro.
2. This plan was "updated" once they've found out that MS will launch a year later on RDNA2 (+RT, +VRS, +perf/watt) and a much faster SoC. Likely happened some time in 2018.
3. The "new plan" is to launch at the end of 2020 on a RDNA2 SoC with similar performance to that of XSX.

Thus this Github leak is about the "old" PS5 h/w, not the new one. Such scenario also fits into the rumors of Navi being "late" and running "hot" - which made sense only if Sony was planning to use RDNA1 Navi in the end of 2019.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

that would be more E3/June time, no? A ps meeting could manage with prerecorded clips of third party games/tech demos/'future concepts' which could be delivered ahead of time without the third parties needing to know the meeting date. Although you might think something might leak if a dev has put a demo video together even if the timing isn't clear

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Oct 27, 2017
This is something that I've been thinking for a while. I'm not sure why people are so sure that Sony/MS need to give 3 weeks for press to get organised.

Apple give like 2 weeks and every media organisation will make sure they are there. If the press want to be able to cover an event, they they will absolutely find a way to be at it. They won't pass up an opportunity to miss out that part of the news cycle.

Exactly and not like the games media is buzzing right now. Most the buzz comes from these consoles. There's very little news out there besides delays. Even when it comes to reviews, the last review I read was in November for Star Wars. There is very little content coming out in the first few months of this year and some of the content that was supposed to come out has been pushed back further.

They will be excited when they see these invites. I doubt the reaction will be oh no those fuckers gave us two weeks notice.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
When people say "voxels", I can't help but think, "Comanche".
And I can't help think of Outcast :)
The most likely scenario for everything we've heard on PS5 till now is this:

1. Sony was originally planning to launch PS5 at the end of 2019, based on RDNA1, 36CU, Zen2, etc. This makes sense if you consider the timeline between PS4 and Pro.
2. This plan was "updated" once they've found out that MS will launch a year later on RDNA2 (+RT, +VRS, +perf/watt) and a much faster SoC. Likely happened some time in 2018.
3. The "new plan" is to launch at the end of 2020 on a RDNA2 SoC with similar performance to that of XSX.

Thus this Github leak is about the "old" PS5 h/w, not the new one. Such scenario also fits into the rumors of Navi being "late" and running "hot" - which made sense only if Sony was planning to use RDNA1 Navi in the end of 2019.
According to Klee, the move to 2020 was in 2017 because of BC problems. I'm not sure why they would test an old chip from 2017 in 2019. IMO, if PS5 has a different chip than Oberon, the change has happened in early 2019 and it probably caused mass hysteria in Sony's HQ and was freaking expensive.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Really interesting...because Red seems to be reliable or at least doesn't say outlandish stuff for clicks.

I'm at the point where I have no predictions. I think we have 2 plausible scenarios why there's so much discrepancy from insiders. 1) Sony scrapping plan A and 2) confusion between GCN and Navi Tflops. So there could be a difference or there could be none at all and I'd say that neither group of insiders were lying or intentionally reporting false info. It doesn't appear very straightforward.

That said, I still say even low end both machines are capable of a much larger jump when factoring all aspects of gaming than we had last gen. I'm done predicting. Just waiting for some actual news.
The discrepancy from insiders. The truth of the matter is that there isn't. There are just posters on here that are interpreting information however they want and are arriving at their own conclusions.

Which single insider has said that SeX is more/significantly more powerful than the PS5? Like who has actually come out and said, SeX is more powerful? However, we have heard from multiple insiders that the PS5 has the edge and from others that they are both very close.

Then we have the leaks, which again I say is without context. We don't know what we are looking at or from when or even why. It's like looking at a quarter of a whole picture and trying to use that visible quarter to discern the rest of the picture.

And here is the thing if there is a difference of like 3TF-4TF in performance between the two no one wil be saying they are close. That's not close. And by now, we would have at least one insider coming out to say the SeX has the edge or at the very least is noticeably more powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.