• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
So what's actually happened to insiders and leaks? They've all dried up and vanished it seems. In previous cycles have we ever had such a dearth or solid info before? It's... good for the eventual reveals as they might actually surprise us a little, but damn this is getting tedious just waiting with nothing to get excited about. And yeah I know, it's just fun having the wait and anticipation being entertaining rather than this long drawn out bore fest.
I don't know how they keep all this info on lock down so well.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
User warned: Antagonizing other members
lol Oh lord. "I'm going to make up conspiracy theories and then tell people to leave when I get called out about it!" Some of you are so transparent, you're almost invisible.
Are you all there? Like seriously? What conspiracy theory are you talking about? That Bill Gates told them to add some extra Cus on to the x?
If you don't like my comments or question, put me on ignore. If you are so thinskinned that it triggers you when someone has a different idea than you, an internet forums probably not the right place for you.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but he addressed it. They obviously are following the feedback on the PS5, and as a small section of people were saying that it might not be hardware based, they corrected the record. When you DF putting out a video that will get tens of thousands of views, pretty much saying that it looks like the PS5 will be less powerful than we thought ( in comparison to the XSX anyway), Sony would not want that out there if it wasn't so. Even just a quick message to DF saying that it's off base would be all they need to do. Then it clears the air for them to control the narrative.
Again, it took him six months. We'll look for Cerny's response in April.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So what's actually happened to insiders and leaks? They've all dried up and vanished it seems. In previous cycles have we ever had such a dearth or solid info before? It's... good for the eventual reveals as they might actually surprise us a little, but damn this is getting tedious just waiting with nothing to get excited about. And yeah I know, it's just fun having the wait and anticipation being entertaining rather than this long drawn out bore fest.

Many have been chased off, but some have said what they wanted to say before leaving. Others likely don't want to burn their sources or have been asked by their sources not to say anything. Or it could be the Sony ninjas really do have shit on lock down and very little info has leaked.

As much as I love this thread and all the insiders, I'd be happy if no more info leaks. I want to walk into the PSM with as few spoilers as possible since we're so close. The only reason I'm still here is because I know I won't be able to avoid leaks as they'll be everywhere anyways.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
Well the reason I think it's a possibility is because before this current generation, neither company was making money Hand over fist the way they are now with digital services and online play. MS was at the beginning stages with X360, but they all took off this generation. If you knew that the money you would lose in a loss lead situation would be made up and then some to get a crucial price advantage over your competitor, why wouldn't you?
Thats ridiculous.

Jun 23, 2019
I've always had this idea in my head that it's one of the biggest reasons GP is such a big deal and focal point to them...

A shitload of subs allows them to aggressively price the Series X...? Maybe? Maybe not?

I don't know lol...

I really wish we could see the financial data behind GP, because all we have is info from subscription based services like Netflix and others that show that you really don't make a lot of money from them. I'm not confident the money MS makes from GP is enough to offset the price of the XSX. It would have to come from taking a loss lead hit and making it up from Xbox Live

I've said it before, but it honestly sounds like people were talking too much and the Sony ninjas started silencing people. We were happy to have insiders talk all day on the internet and then right before TGA, everyone got quiet. Whatever Sony decides to show, it's going to be huge.

Yeah, but he addressed it. They obviously are following the feedback on the PS5, and as a small section of people were saying that it might not be hardware based, they corrected the record. When you DF putting out a video that will get tens of thousands of views, pretty much saying that it looks like the PS5 will be less powerful than we thought ( in comparison to the XSX anyway), Sony would not want that out there if it wasn't so. Even just a quick message to DF saying that it's off base would be all they need to do. Then it clears the air for them to control the narrative.

Or maybe Sony is following the same policy they've followed for decades and not address rumors and speculation, positive or negative. You are mistaking silence for inaction.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Sony didn't correct the RT confusion for six months after the initial Wired interview in April. That tells me that clarifying the RT situation of the PS5 was an issue they wanted to address, but it wasn't at all something they were in a rush to do.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Or it is a 36cu GPU and the Github info is correct, which is the most likely scenario.
One piece of thorough yet entirely out of context and questionably up-to-date evidence, or the word of half a dozen respected industry insiders who have direct connections to developers actually working with the hardware.

"Most likely scenario" is a huuuge stretch, my friend.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
"He was quick to come out & clarify"

First WIRED article: April
Second WIRED article: October

031c110c38fc5de401036eb4d00b10b7.gif
The Github leak was orders of magnitude bigger than some Xbox fanboys trying to read something into Cernys comments about Ray Tracing. I am surprised he did address it, as it was a zero in reality. The Github leaks tho? I mean it was actual Sony and AMD IP that was leaked. But like I said, I expect the Github info is bang on, so theres nothing Sony can say anyway.

Jun 23, 2019
Are you all there? Like seriously? What conspiracy theory are you talking about? That Bill Gates told them to add some extra Cus on to the x?
If you don't like my comments or question, put me on ignore. If you are so thinskinned that it triggers you when someone has a different idea than you, an internet forums probably not the right place for you.

Ok, I'm pretty convinced you are an alt account at this point. None of what you are saying is making sense. You are pushing this narrative that Sony has been trying to keep quiet to mask the fact that the PS5 is less powerful than the XSX, even though a confirmed insider clarified that the changes to the PS5 were made years ago. Then you ask poor Penello about changing kit specs in bad faith where if you had actually took the time to read the threadmarks and OP, you would have noticed that very question had been answered weeks ago. Please, continue on with your bad self. You got it champ.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Because they officially talked about ray tracing..... Even then the response wasnt overnight.

Tell me, what can they possibly officially talk about with the github data? It might be misinformation from Sony, AMD. We dont know. Could be ppl just interpreting the data wrong. With it being a mess, thats a possible answer.

Honestly, and someone said this before, if the PS5 wind up being 12tf or even a tad bit higher than Series X, all the github thing did was give them some amazing PR. Ppl that pushed, pushes it might be doing Sony a favor.

I can see the forums now with the multiple threads created if that happens.

The github data is unofficial, on the same level as rumors. Maybe if an outlet, writer actually ask them about it that will be another story. But like with most rumors, companies can choose not to address them even if the rumors are false.

That's part of my point. We're acting as though we're analyzing from a position of complete knowledge. We're not. Not even close.
Exactly. Today is a perfect example where Lockhart might have different specs. And they still havent officially announced or revealed anything about Lockhart.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
Not sure if you've missed Sony's whole approach to PR over the last few years, but they never respond to rumour and speculation on message boards & social media.

So the 6 month gap between the 2 Wired articles - during which time they didn't respond to speculation and comment about this exact subject - would be consistent with that approach.
I have worked in some of the biggest multinational companies. Every single thing they do when releasing a product is stage managed to put out the exact narrative they want. Their timeline of revealing information is totally plotted out to get maximum effect, reach and traction. The last thing they ever want is the narrative to get away from them. If it does there is basically emergency meetings to try and work out how they respond. One thing I can guarantee you is that when the Github leaks came out there would have been emails, phone calls, Skype sessions with everyone of any importance about what happened, who did it, and how do they deal with it. AMD would be putting together an incident report into how it got on to Github, and Sony would be sending please explains to AMD. There might even be financial penalties for AMD if their company leaks information. It would be a breach of Sony's NDA with AMD.
Trust me, this was big.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
When MS was working on Scorpio, they had a 2016 version and a 2017 version. They ended up going for the 2017 in the end for the extra power. I would imagine Sony did the same for the PS5, have a 2019 plan and a 2020 plan, look at the what level of power and jump each console would provide and eventually decide.

Calling BS on this. I have never seen this before or even remotely heard a rumor around this.

Any proof?

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
One piece of thorough yet entirely out of context and questionably up-to-date evidence, or the word of half a dozen respected industry insiders who have direct connections to developers actually working with the hardware.

"Most likely scenario" is a huuuge stretch, my friend.
It's a higher stretch to say that the PS5 is anything other than what the Guthub leaks say.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I have worked in some of the biggest multinational companies. Every single thing they do when releasing a product is stage managed to put out the exact narrative they want. Their timeline of revealing information is totally plotted out to get maximum effect, reach and traction. The last thing they ever want is the narrative to get away from them. If it does there is basically emergency meetings to try and work out how they respond. One thing I can guarantee you is that when the Github leaks came out there would have been emails, phone calls, Skype sessions with everyone of any importance about what happened, who did it, and how do they deal with it. AMD would be putting together an incident report into how it got on to Github, and Sony would be sending please explains to AMD. There might even be financial penalties for AMD if their company leaks information. It would be a breach of Sony's NDA with AMD.
Trust me, this was big.
Then wouldn't this be something AMD needs to address, and not Sony?

If you wanna put it like this.

Are we still talking about addressing rumors or a lapse in protecting Confidential business info?

Oh, I wasn't around for this.

What is new with Lock?
It was part of a small avalanche of info a few pages back. Possible higher tf.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
Or it is a 36cu GPU and the Github info is correct, which is the most likely scenario.
The Github leak was orders of magnitude bigger than some Xbox fanboys trying to read something into Cernys comments about Ray Tracing. I am surprised he did address it, as it was a zero in reality. The Github leaks tho? I mean it was actual Sony and AMD IP that was leaked. But like I said, I expect the Github info is bang on, so theres nothing Sony can say anyway.

It's pretty clear what are you doing here buddy. you are pushing too much.

let me tell you why you should give a break from era for while :

in coming weeks, sony going to tweet ( a simple one ) that we are going to see the future.
and whole gaming world will get excited and it will be a hot topic. people will hype , mostly will be rumours or false any way BUT most will be positive news!
Era will have rivers of meme and gifs to countdown to reveal. Mark and Jim will be the main gif showrunner. And guess what, the reveal of ps5 will satisfy all the Potential customers and Games will blow all out . of course there will be some laughing stock announcements as well.

I really concern about you if this happens bro!

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I love how we all just accept that Lockhart is a thing. It may very well not be a thing.
It didn't come from a random person. It came from Brad Sams. We don't really hear much about it though and Phil Spencer always said console (singular) when talking about Project Scarlett (which was rumored to be a family of devices). I've been wondering for a while if it does exist.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
Calling BS on this. I have never seen this before or even remotely heard a rumor around this.

Any proof?

But we thought 4K TVs would get to scale in the middle of this generation. So we designed a console for 2016, and a console for 2017. We were kind of working on both plans simultaneously," he revealed. "[And at some point], we said, 'I think we need to do more than what the silicon is that's available in 2016 at a price point that a console customer would want to pay'. So that's when we stopped that effort.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you see how some insiders get treated. Would you really want to leak some things and get chased around and get vitriol your way? Of course not. It's not worth it and in time these companies will release information. Why do you think Matt, Jason keep as far away from it? Because people are childish as fuck!
Its sad but we've got to do without insiders...

Jan 20, 2019

Well, accordingly to Shinobi, Sony ninjas are real

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
Then wouldn't this be something AMD needs to address, and not Sony?

If you wanna put it like this.

Are we still talking about addressing rumors or a lapse in protecting Confidential business info?

It was part of a small avalanche of info a few pages back. Possible higher tf.
AMD will have to answer to it, but it effects Sony's product.
All I am saying is that this leak would be very annoying to Sony. It would have put them in a situation to respond in some way, at some time. And it wouldn't be so hard for them to do.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Sony didn't clarify anything "6 months later". The person that initially interviewed them posted on Twitter that the whole interview wasn't published verbatim, and that at one point they asked if him RT was just audio or if it was for lighting etc too, and Cerny said yes. He tweeted it shortly after that initial interview, not 6 months later. This was posted many times and people keep ignoring it for some bizarre reason.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
The fact of the matter is that the GitHub leak is real. There's a 99% chance it is closely related to the PS5. What is NOT clear is if what was shown in the GitHub leak represent what the final hardware will be.

Jan 20, 2019
I guess I don't see why it should be real vs. fake. Was it someone of note that leaked it or confirmed it?

Well, one explaination is that Sony had a chip ready for their 2019 launch and instead of trowing way, they use it to send out devkits early one, as early as late 2018.

And they buff the clocks to come close to their 2020 counter part performace, that also explains yah Zheug said that the final devkits will only be out by e3 and that both Sony and Microsoft were waiting for AMD to deliever big navi.

That's my theory.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Trust me, this was big.

You've worked in some of these companies in what capacity?

In what way is the 'narrative' getting away from Sony?

Why are you not bothering to engage with anyone's actual points being raised about Sony's general approach to PR?

Speaking as someone who worked in marketing for several of the worlds largest companies, and who has extensive experience in liaising with their PR companies, while there will have been emails and probably a meeting to discuss the github leaks, knowing Sony's approach to their PR - which is 'we talk when we want to talk, we don't respond to rumours' - their silence over this is entirely what I would expect, and says nothing about the validity of the Github in any way, shape or form.

Also - I would take issue with your claim that product releases require an iron fist on controlling narrative. That may have been true prior to the rise of social media, but these days its a largely impossible dream, especially in the pre-reveal phase where we are now.

Sony's real crisis will be losing control of the narrative after they've done the full announcement/reveal etc the way it did MS after TVTVTV, because MS didn't just have to roll back their messaging, they had to rework the console OS.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
It's pretty clear what are you doing here buddy. you are pushing too much.

let me tell you why you should give a break from era for while :

in coming weeks, sony going to tweet ( a simple one ) that we are going to see the future.
and whole gaming world will get excited and it will be a hot topic. people will hype , mostly will be rumours or false any way BUT most will be positive news!
Era will have rivers of meme and gifs to countdown to reveal. Mark and Jim will be the main gif showrunner. And guess what, the reveal of ps5 will satisfy all the Potential customers and Games will blow all out . of course there will be some laughing stock announcements as well.

I really concern about you if this happens bro!
Haha, we shall see. I'm not bothered if the PS5 is a 64 CU, 15tflop beast. Not going to hurt me personally. But this is a speculation thread, and we all have ideas about what the system may or may not be. My speculation is based on what I see as the best evidence. Nothing more, nothing less. And if I'm wrong, shit I'm wrong. Life will go on, and I wont lose an second of sleep. But, if the PS5 isn't the 13tflop machine that people like Klee promised you it was...well I think hours of sleep will be lost, but not by me lol.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
AMD will have to answer to it, but it effects Sony's product.
All I am saying is that this leak would be very annoying to Sony. It would have put them in a situation to respond in some way, at some time. And it wouldn't be so hard for them to do.

Lol, no man. The Github leak is absolutely nothing to Sony as far as it being something they would be forced to respond to. Now if Jim Ryan ran around town with no pants on and the PS5 specs tattooed to his asscheeks, that they'd have to respond to. The Github leak has done nothing more than put MORE attention on the PS5, which is exactly what they want. More people are talking about it

Status
Not open for further replies.