• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited about the 3D audio chip on PS5 as someone who always uses headphones. 3D audio adds a ton to the experience in the games that support it and the prospect of that becoming standard is a big deal

For Xbox I'm not really sure since I'm less familiar with their hardware customizations. I do think they'll have one slick UI though.
I just thought about GG hiring those Siege devs and remembering that one of that games main thing was sound and how it played in strategy

wonder if said discussion (for whatever MP title they are working on) was talked about to the hardware team

Sony bought that audio company I remember (audiokinetic) so I can see it being something they talk about to devs

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So what's everyone's predictions?

I made a thread ages ago where I hoped people would pick down and commit to something pre reveals (https://www.resetera.com/threads/lo...hread-of-being-wrong-about-the-future.163307/) alas almost no one did.

I'm still confident:

Console and Launch Predictions:
SKU
: Sony PlayStation 5
CPU
: 8 core 16 thread Zen 2 @3.6 Ghz 32mb Cache
GPU: 13.2 TF RDNA 2 7nm+: 56 CU at 1850mhz
Memory: 16 GB GDDR6 512bit bus, 64Gb ReRam
Storage: 1 TB SSD @2.5Gbps + 64Gb ReRam 15Gbps
Price: €399
Launch Date: Nov 11th
Three Key Launch Titles: The Last of Us 2, Horizon 2, Deep Down
Physical Appearance/Materials/Dimensions: Classic Console Shape but taller, Slight Recessed "V", Matt Materials with Glossy V. V shaped dual light strips.
Colours: Black and Charcoal Grey Options
Additional:

SKU
: Microsoft Xbox Series X
CPU:
8 core 16 thread Zen 2 @3.8 Ghz 32mb Cache
GPU: 12.4 TF RDNA 2 7nm+: 54 CU at 1800mhz
Memory: 20GB GDDR6 556bit bus
Storage: 2TB NVMe SSD @ 3.5Gb/s
Price: €499
Launch Date: November 17th
Three Key Launch Titles: Halo Infinite, Forza, Capcom Exclusive
Colours: Black With Green Highlight, Founders Edition White with Green Accent
Additional: Built in Voice Commands and lights like Alexa. Cortana ReReveal

SKU: Microsoft Xbox Lockhart
CPU
: 8 core 16 thread Zen 2 @3.8 Ghz 16mb Cache
GPU: 4.6TF 20CU (24with 4 redundant) 1800mhz
Memory: 16GB GDDr6 512bit
Storage:1 TB
Price:€299
Target Launch Date: Q2 2021
Will It Actually Launch Y/N?: N
Physical Appearance/Dimensions: Classic Console Shape, Sporty in some way
Additional: Name will be Series Z not Series S. Targeting Gen Z.

I don't even know where to begin with this lol

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Not saying that we shouldn't expect something in February. Just that we shouldn't expect that everything is going to be the same as last time(when invitations gets send out, etc) and as i said perhaps it''s going to be SoP kind of thing.

If it's the same as last time or a SoP event I have to imagine Sony are going to want the press present to demo things, answer questions, do interviews... All that stuff.

If it's a SoP then I imagine the press will go to some location where they can do their thing the same day (like they did with TLOU2s release date reveal), and if the press are going then they have to receive invites well in advance. That's why we're very hopeful that invites will go out either this week or next.

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018
Console and Launch Predictions:
SKU
: Sony PlayStation 5
CPU
: 8 core 16 thread Zen 2 @3.6 Ghz 32mb Cache
GPU: 13.2 TF RDNA 2 7nm+: 56 CU at 1850mhz
Memory: 16 GB GDDR6 512bit bus, 64Gb ReRam
Storage: 1 TB SSD @2.5Gbps + 64Gb ReRam 15Gbps
Price: €399
Launch Date: Nov 11th
Three Key Launch Titles: The Last of Us 2, Horizon 2, Deep Down
Physical Appearance/Materials/Dimensions: Classic Console Shape but taller, Slight Recessed "V", Matt Materials with Glossy V. V shaped dual light strips.
Colours: Black and Charcoal Grey Options
Additional:

SKU
: Microsoft Xbox Series X
CPU:
8 core 16 thread Zen 2 @3.8 Ghz 32mb Cache
GPU: 12.4 TF RDNA 2 7nm+: 54 CU at 1800mhz
Memory: 20GB GDDR6 556bit bus
Storage: 2TB NVMe SSD @ 3.5Gb/s
Price: €499
Launch Date: November 17th
Three Key Launch Titles: Halo Infinite, Forza, Capcom Exclusive
Colours: Black With Green Highlight, Founders Edition White with Green Accent
Additional: Built in Voice Commands and lights like Alexa. Cortana ReReveal

I think you are over on the PS5 GPU, and the ReRAM dream is likely just that, a dream. I also would be wholly surprised if either system was sporting 54+ CUs and still was clocked over 1600MHz.

Further, I think MS is poised for a good launch library. My guess is Halo, Forza, Rare Project (Perfect Dark?), Playground Project (rumored RPG?) Microsoft Flight Simulator

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
yes it could.....but if he knew of XSX exclusive games currently in development for the launch of the XSX why would he even say 2 years in the first place?

XSX exclusive games would have to be pretty far into development to make it to shelves in the next 10 months and he would have to know about them and their launch window.

I mean saying, "1 year, 2 years" is akin as saying "a year or so". If he had only said "1 year" people would have concluded than XSX is coming in November. PR was in these interviews with him, and on at least one occasion stopped him before his accidentally gave up enough info for folks to deduce a date.

He's also casting a wide net so that if things get pushed back he's not a liar.

an exclusive could launch anywhere between holiday 2020 and holiday 2021 and his comment would still be true. So, I don't think the dev time concern holds any weight. If an intended launch game slips into Q1 2021, he's still covered.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always found it a bit strange that the only reason we're assuming February is based off an event from 7 years ago. So much has changed for Sony since then that who knows what they're up do.

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018
I always found it a bit strange that the only reason we're assuming February is based off an event from 7 years ago. So much has changed for Sony since then that who knows what they're up do.

Everyone here is clinging to February because of Klee. He said late February and it became gospel for many. It might still happen by then, but if it does not, it is one of the first big "chinks" in his armor.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give you a bump if you bump.

Lay your detailed prediction on me.

My prediction Apr 20, 2019:

Lockhart $299:

CPU Zen 2 @ 3.2GHz
GPU Navi 6 Teraflops
RAM 12GB GDDR6
ROM 1TB SSD

PS5 $499:

CPU Zen 2 @ 3.2GHz
GPU Navi 10 Teraflops
RAM 16GB GDDR6
ROM 1TB NVMe SSD

Anaconda $499:

CPU Zen 2 @ 3.2GHz
GPU Navi 12 Teraflops
RAM 16GB GDDR6
ROM 1TB NVMe SSD

www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread - MY ANACONDA DON'T WANT NONE

Lockhart $299: CPU Zen 2 @ 3.2GHz GPU Navi 6 Teraflops RAM 12GB GDDR6 ROM 1TB SSD PS5 $499: CPU Zen 2 @ 3.2GHz GPU Navi 10 Teraflops RAM 16GB GDDR6 ROM 1TB NVMe SSD Anaconda $499: CPU Zen 2 @ 3.2GHz GPU Navi 12 Teraflops RAM 16GB GDDR6 ROM 1TB NVMe SSD

:)

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Yup, when I read the DICE dev's tweet in 2018 about RT being a PS6 feature instead of PS5 I was kinda bummed. I'm glad he was wrong about that.

Do you expect a compelling RT experience with ps5/xsx or something in line with a 2060? I'd wager he meant a meaningful implementation of RT wouldn't come til ps6/xs2x.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Feb rationale for a lot of folks is that Sony was highly successful with the PS4 strategy, so why screw with what's proven... but personally, while I can understand that sentiment to some extent, I just think the other circumstances surrounding a console launch are far more important to prioritize than meeting some arbitrary announcement date because it was successful seven years ago, or because that's what PS fans are expecting. It could be February, but who is to say the same approach wouldn't be just as successful in April or May?

I do think that if the reveal is months from now, it wouldn't hurt anyone for Sony to communicate / pass that info on in some way. Even if it's not super specific. Like, they don't have to follow precedent, but they should be aware of it... and expectations / excitement. You can play your cards tight without torturing people. Or not. Idk, what do I know.

freshyk

Jan 15, 2020
What if the event is truly in early Feb but for selected journalists who have to sign an NDA and directly for fans over the web? Sony has been unconventional so far with releasing info about PS5. Why not continue that?

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Feb rationale for a lot of folks is that Sony was highly successful with the PS4 strategy, so why screw with what's proven... but personally, while I can understand that sentiment to some extent, I just think the other circumstances surrounding a console launch are far more important to prioritize than meeting some arbitrary announcement date because it was successful seven years ago, or because that's what PS fans are expecting. It could be February, but who is to say the same approach wouldn't be just as successful in April or May?

I do think that if the reveal is months from now, it wouldn't hurt anyone for Sony to communicate / pass that info on in some way. Even if it's not super specific. Like, they don't have to follow precedent, but they should be aware of it... and expectations / excitement. You can play your cards tight without torturing people. Or not. Idk, what do I know.
The argument is only partially based on precedent. The other part is that GDC is mid-March and keeping specs and features from leaking at that point is nearly impossible. If they want to be able to present their platform on their own terms and control the message, it needs to be before that. MS has given us a good idea of what to expect for its next-gen platform goals, Sony hasn't.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to ask but do you still got tickets? I want one for 14tf and for Reram....Muhwahahahaha. Me and my brother and sisters and everyone in between want one.
I'm only on the HBM train. I don't know if I can get down with those trains. 😭

Best of wishes to fellow dream trains. 🙏🏾

Well to be fair the opposite has also happened with people hyping it up too much. I am not sure if there still are people who believe the PS5 to be 14TF or higher. I guess at some point some people even believed the 16.8TF rumor. And those people will look pretty foolish aswell.
There is no comparison there. You're talking about a few people at best up against entire OTs of people following the type of thinking I had in my post you quoted.

I am not saying history is going to repeat itself, because obviously we are in a different situation right now, Pro and X versions of the old consoles being a big part of it, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 is closer to pessimistic estimations than it is to optimistic guesses.
I don't even think it is about being pessimistic really. The pessimistic folk have been proven wrong time and time again and even if they weren't wrong, PS5 would still be a pretty good machine.

What I'm talking about are those who seemingly want the PS5 to be fundamentally flawed from top to bottom. We still have discussions about the PS5 actually having hardware RT, the VRS patent stuff, how the 2ghz thing would go against common sense design and leave it as an overheated mess, how the time and money put into the SSD will mean nothing, etc...

That is wishful thinking for the worst. The reason why is rather clear though.

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
I can't help but feel Sony has some surprises in store for us, and I'm talking about more than just with the next gen PS5 console.

CES was fairly disappointing as I was looking forward to the new Sony TV's that might perfectly complement the PS5 expected release in holiday 2020. And there were mostly refinements, but no 2020 TV revealed carries HDMI 2.1 spec, which is very, very odd. Might we get another Playstation branded TV?

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
I think you are over on the PS5 GPU, and the ReRAM dream is likely just that, a dream. I also would be wholly surprised if either system was sporting 54+ CUs and still was clocked over 1600MHz.
So you don't believe the Tom Warren claims of 12TF?

Further, I think MS is poised for a good launch library. My guess is Halo, Forza, Rare Project (Perfect Dark?), Playground Project (rumored RPG?) Microsoft Flight Simulator
I agree, I expect a good launch lineup from Microsoft. But the Playground project (Fable?) will almost certainly not be among them. According to their website, they're still looking for a Cinematic Director, Chief Engineer, Art Director, Animation Director, etc.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
We still have a few more days. Lets wait until we don't get invites in that time before giving up hope.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I can't help but feel Sony has some surprises in store for us, and I'm talking about more than just with the next gen PS5 console.

CES was fairly disappointing as I was looking forward to the new Sony TV's that might perfectly complement the PS5 expected release in holiday 2020. And there were mostly refinements, but no 2020 TV revealed carries HDMI 2.1 spec, which is very, very odd. Might we get another Playstation branded TV?

Disappointing?! We got a Logo! The best logo ever made! It got over 5 million likes!

Seriously though here is what Im guessing:
10+TF going to go with 11.6 - 12.4
RAM - at least 16gb GDDR6
SSD: Sony customized 1TB 5gb/s speeds since insiders said it is faster than the XSX which supposedly goes at 3.6gb/s.
Launch games:
GT7
Bluepoint Game
An indie exclusive
Godfall
Some shooting game
Probably more 3rd party next gen exclusives

Price $499
Release either end of October or beginning of November, world wide release.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
What if they delayed PS Meeting for backwards compatibility?

They've already announced it, so they wouldn't be delaying before that step. Nor are they going to do an exhaustive demo of backward compatibility at a Playstation Meeting or similar. If they were confident enough to announce it, they've long since had games running well enough for a perfectly decent demo.

No, they're just not in any rush because there's no reason for them to be.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
'm only on the HBM train. I don't know if I can get down with those trains. 😭

Best of wishes to fellow dream trains. 🙏🏾
How the hell did i forgot about HBM........

I will plead to the gods and ask for forgiveness. I have sinned and am not worthy of you presence...... Please forgive my ignorance and shower me with your 14tf, ReRam and HBM love..........

I want a ticket for HBM

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
The coolest thing is that we have no clue what perf penalty AMD RTRT will bring. It's still amazing for me to think about that.
My hope is that AMD revealing their RT implementation after nvidia rushed theirs to market will pleasantly surprise us...but at the same time have AMD given us any reason to think they can do it better than Nvidia? Their gpu division hasn't been doing great as of late.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
How the hell did i forgot about HBM........I will plead to the gods and ask for forgiveness. I have sinned and am not worthy of you presence...... Please forgive my ignorance and shower me with your 14tf, ReRam and HBM love..........

I want a ticket for HBM

Talking about HBM, if Sony does go that way we are probably going to see 16gb HBM2. It wouldn't make sense otherwise unless they go all out and we see 24gb HBM2.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
If they go with HBM, I think they will use a split system.. 16gb HBM and 8gb ddr4. About 4gb will be reserved as system memory and the rest will go to games.

Hmm why do you think they will go with 8gb ddr4? If they have 16gb HBM2 wouldn't the split to 4gb ddr4 be slower for game purposes other then using a unified memory pool? I can see 8gb ddr4 for system memory itself if the rumor of multiple game suspensions is real.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
They've already announced it, so they wouldn't be delaying before that step. Nor are they going to do an exhaustive demo of backward compatibility at a Playstation Meeting or similar. If they were confident enough to announce it, they've long since had games running well enough for a perfectly decent demo.

No, they're just not in any rush because there's no reason for them to be.
Sorry, I wasn't hyperbolic enough and got taken seriously.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I mean saying, "1 year, 2 years" is akin as saying "a year or so". If he had only said "1 year" people would have concluded than XSX is coming in November. PR was in these interviews with him, and on at least one occasion stopped him before his accidentally gave up enough info for folks to deduce a date.

He's also casting a wide net so that if things get pushed back he's not a liar.

an exclusive could launch anywhere between holiday 2020 and holiday 2021 and his comment would still be true. So, I don't think the dev time concern holds any weight. If an intended launch game slips into Q1 2021, he's still covered.

I don't know about that, if he was trying to say the XSX will have exclusive games around launch he would have just said:

"XSX will have exclusive games around launch"

which means he's still covered if it slips. the reasoning that saying 2 years actually means close to 1 year takes a tremendous leap in logic. Yes the XSX could launch with XSX exclusives but that's definitely not what his comments are stating and imply that there may a period in time where the XSX does not have MGS exclusive games built just for XSX.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm why do you think they will go with 8gb ddr4? If they have 16gb HBM2 wouldn't the split to 4gb ddr4 be slower for game purposes other then using a unified memory pool? I can see 8gb ddr4 for system memory itself if the rumor of multiple game suspensions is real.
Please keep in mind i know nothing but in my head there are 2 reasons why perhaps they want to do that.

1. To have dedicated system memory.
2. To create a system where you can balance in what pool of memory you want data to stay. One fast that can keep changing and one where you keep data that most of the time needs to roam around in(?) and doesn't need fast memory.

Also if i remember correctly you do need to let some of the HBM and ddr4 memory intertwine together.....I...yea...I know nothing.

I'm probably very wrong.......but in my head that can be some of the reasons.. Don't take it to serious.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

freshyk

Jan 15, 2020
My hope is that AMD revealing their RT implementation after nvidia rushed theirs to market will pleasantly surprise us...but at the same time have AMD given us any reason to think they can do it better than Nvidia? Their gpu division hasn't been doing great as of late.
They've brought their A game to the CPU space and are legit competing with Intel. I'm hoping Big Navi is real!

Status
Not open for further replies.