• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pootybutt

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2020
Yeah and this was just posted:

Which is from this very thread a few pages back.

Saying it isnt confirmation of anything isnt the same as dismissing it. But it seems some are taking it as confirmation. Because context no longer matters?

Some might equate the github info to the SuperDae hack, and its not. Not yet anyway. Because we lack context.

See my response to the other guy. When people here start complaining that others are discussing something, that is what it means to try dismissing something. If folks want to ignore speculation involving that data or trying to find context for it that can help it make more sense, that's fine. I'm not going to have my speculation or commentary dictated by whatever helps certain people find their safe space away from what were spun as unflattering info about PS5. If ya don't want to read speculation about that info, don't read those posts. The question is not about whether we have context. The question is what context can help us make sense of things. Literally zero people are in the thread asserting that those tests demonstrate the full extent of PS5 performance. I'm doing precisely the polar opposite of that but folks here get triggered just by mentioning github apparently, lol.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
40x what?? Reads? Writes? Seeks? Sequential?
How can you even begin to say they are similar if they didn't even give a metric on what improved 40x?? It's literally just marketing speak rather than given anything tangible and an even more giant leap to assume both camps have similar solutions.

It's like saying a bus and mustang both have 100x the performance of a lawnmower so they are obviously very similar.
Again, we arnt comparing a bus and a mustang to a lawnmower. The same question can be asked of what Cerny said, as he hasn't given any specs, just that it is faster than current SSDs. Faster in what? Write speeds? Read speeds?
You are proving my point. Sony hasn't given any numbers. They havent given a read speed. Neither has MS. They both claim to have created a new Generation of SSDs. MS said their has a 40 times performance improvement. Sony showed a demo that was 19 times faster than the PS4.
If you are taking away that Sony's SSD is twice as quick as Xboxs, then you are adding your own bias into the story, as nothing shown or said has displayed a speed advantage to Sony, let alone double.
If you think I am wrong, can you show me where the actual speeds have been announced?

pootybutt

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2020
? I think you need to go back and reread what Matt said:

That's pretty clear cut. Yes, the Github info is real. No, the information does not confirm anything at all outside what people have extrapolated and theorized. So while discussing it at this point is a fun exercise while we wait, we've tapped this well pretty dry.

The 'confirmation of anything' was about folks thinking that leak was confirming PS5 was at 9.2 TF peak performance. It is absolutely 100% confirmation that those tests had the specified outcomes and we know from the notes it was in fact tests done for Sony and we already knew the code names are for PS5. Again, if you don't wanna discuss the github info, don't. But stop trying to keep others from discussing it. Ya can't speculate about the missing context without first acknowledging that rock solid data we are starting from. I know many of you guys want there to be another GPU with way more CU's to help undo the narrative about 12 TF vs 9.2 TF, but ya can't justify just pretending these tests are meaningless and tryna shut down discussion of them.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Sony Interactive registered more than 30 patents about VR but no single patent about RT or VRS.

Why would you expect them to? They aren't the hardware engineers designing the silicon for PS5. AMD are. AMD has been granted all the relevant patents for VRS and RT hardware implementations and as with all their GPU IP, they will make it available to Sony and their other semi-custom partners.

MS's VRS and RT patents are software patents, because MS develops the DirectX and DXR software APIs for PC and their consoles. Since Sony isn't in the business of developing desktop PC graphics APIs we shouldn't expect them to file patents for rendering IP implementations in software.

I think you're drawing false conclusions out of your own failure to understand properly the subjects you're trying to discuss.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
How can you even begin to say they are similar if they didn't even give a metric on what improved 40x?? It's literally just marketing speak rather than given anything tangible and an even more giant leap to assume both camps have similar solutions.

It's like saying a bus and mustang both have 100x the performance of a lawnmower so they are obviously very similar.

Amazing, right?
See my response to the other guy. When people here start complaining that others are discussing something, that is what it means to try dismissing something. If folks want to ignore speculation involving that data or trying to find context for it that can help it make more sense, that's fine. I'm not going to have my speculation or commentary dictated by whatever helps certain people find their safe space away from what were spun as unflattering info about PS5. If ya don't want to read speculation about that info, don't read those posts. The question is not about whether we have context. The question is what context can help us make sense of things. Literally zero people are in the thread asserting that those tests demonstrate the full extent of PS5 performance. I'm doing precisely the polar opposite of that but folks here get triggered just by mentioning github apparently, lol.
While this may be true, it stems from a previous OT. That led to Matt posting what he did.

So whenever it comes up, many of us remember the madness that happened a few OT ago. I will say you havent been so dead set on the github info being the end all be all for the specs of the PS5. And at least were coming up with ways it can mesh with other rumors we've heard.

Safe space tho? lol. Alrighty then.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure would be odd for the dev kit to look like the retail unit.

Sony has NEVER done that.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, no, someone absolutely was dismissing them! When people start asking others to stop talking about that data this is precisely what it means to dismiss it! Note too that I am not coming to any conclusion. I've rattled off scenarios where both consoles best each other with different details in each camp mixed around. I'm just exploring different ideas to see how we can best accommodate insider info along with github data. But make no mistake, anyone going out of their way to keep others from discussing that info is certainly trying to dismissing it.
Yeah i don't care to compare and the discussion is kind of old, we already explored most of the options. So carry on and I'm sorry for butting in

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
HGHJzdf.png

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Again, we arnt comparing a bus and a mustang to a lawnmower. The same question can be asked of what Cerny said, as he hasn't given any specs, just that it is faster than current SSDs. Faster in what? Write speeds? Read speeds?
You are proving my point. Sony hasn't given any numbers. They havent given a read speed. Neither has MS. They both claim to have created a new Generation of SSDs. MS said their has a 40 times performance improvement. Sony showed a demo that was 19 times faster than the PS4.
If you are taking away that Sony's SSD is twice as quick as Xboxs, then you are adding your own bias into the story, as nothing shown or said has displayed a speed advantage to Sony, let alone double.
If you think I am wrong, can you show me where the actual speeds have been announced?
Actually Sony demo showed an improvement from 8100ms to 830ms, that's a lot closer to 10 than 19, (though you said Ps4 and the demo in the image was against Pro, so perhaps a different demo).

But press reports from this same demo claimed 15x, so I think that was the figure given, so "officially" it seems Sony claims PS5's SSD will be 15x faster than Pro's.

Sony-IR-Day-2019-video-SSD-Spiderman-PS5.jpg

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Actually Sony demo showed an improvement from 8100ms to 830ms, that's a lot closer to 10 than 19, (though you said Ps4 and the demo in the image was against Pro, so perhaps a different demo).

But press reports from this same demo claimed 15x, so I think that was the figure given, so "officially" it seems Sony claims PS5's SSD will be 15x faster than Pro's.

If I remember correctly, that was a low speed version.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Whoever's gonna stalk that reddit user please remember to screenshot everything for when I wake up, please

the comments that are written

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
For some reason there are a lot of fresh accounts popping up.

I suggest we let the mods handle any alt accounts, I'd rather not accuse anyone we disagree with as being an alt. It just makes the discourse poor in this thread :). Even if they are being absurdly stubborn in my eyes with this patents thing.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

What is hard to understand when they talk about performance increases? This thread!

You think they do not understand what it is they are measuring?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

You're both mixing stuff up and conflating terms.

MS said 40x raw bandwidth.

Cerny said I/O is 19x faster for the Spider-Man demo.

The times in the demo above are load times, which are influenced by more than just the SSD raw bandwidth and overall I/O performance. CPU also impacts.

For easier visibility:

gVBcglH.jpg

1x5EZvx.jpg

An elaborate fake.

Probably the same dude who produced the fan render.

Status
Not open for further replies.