• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's been a while. I forget if this is the one which you can cheaply kill using soul arrow/regular arrows from the top of that fort as he/she regularly flies by.
I think that is the Demons Souls Dragon you can kill behind the burg but yeah with arrows ;) The one you talk about is the red dragon that sometimes is on patrol on the bridge and sits there at the exit in Dark Souls. Damn camper. That dragon you can kill from the rooftop where one of the black knights patrols or from under the bridge shooting his tail for a weapon. LOL

JackAL

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 19, 2020
GPU - RDNA 40 Cu's @ 2.0ghz for 10.25 tflops

Navi GPU can use 1.8+ ghz only in boost mode for short periods of time. Standard 'game clock' is between 1.6-1.7 ghz. It's not possible to run Navi at 2.0 ghz for more than few seconds

For example RX 5700:
Base Clock (idle) 1465 MHz
Game Clock 1625 MHz
Boost Clock 1725 MHz

"Hybrid Ray Tracing solution and VRS"
Secret Sauce - A Hybrid RT solution that is based in both hardware and Software

What is "hybrid ray tracing"? Is this some kind of ray tracing using standard compute shaders like in Nvidia Pascal?
VRS is not supported by Navi

Full PS4, PS3, PS2 and PS1 back compatibility. No enhancements to PS4 games from the GPU, but stronger CPU will help frame rates via a.boost mode. PS1, PS2 and PS3 will be done via emulation, with enhancements to resolution and frame rates.

No chance for backward compatibility with PS1-PS3. PS4 games will run without any enhancements (APU support old hardware clocks)

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
So for ps5 u expect it to have no cu turned off and meanwhile push the clock to 2 ghz? The yields will be low and expensive to produce and keep cool as this configuration runs hotter than 56 cu at 1.7 ghz clock.This means ps5 will be more expensive and weaker . Don't know why Sony would choose that configuration unless they were doing stress test or BC regression test in the GitHub leak but we shall see .
My theory is, and it's only a theory, I'm not trying to convince anyone it's a fact, that they got caught short by MS, so they are pushing their APU as hard as they can to close the gap.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My theory is, and it's only a theory, I'm not trying to convince anyone it's a fact, that they got caught short by MS, so they are pushing their APU as hard as they can to close the gap.
Sure but I doubt that . Maybe their 2019 launch ps5 would have had 40 cu but not the 2020 ps5.

We are about to get 80 cu Navi from amd in summer so I doubt Sony saw that amd road map and said u know what it's fine we will launch with a gpu from summer 2019 with 40cu a year and half later .40 cu would have made sense if they were launching in November 2019 imo. We shall see in a month hopefully.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
This narrative again? This is pure fantasy.

Let's pretend it is true though and Sony gets caught off card. Sony makes almost 10 BILLION a year from PS4. They could most certainly afford to redesign.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
Full technical reveal of Xbox Series X will be before GDC. MS have session about DXR realtime raytracing in Forza Motorsport 8 which is launch title of Xbox Series X.

"This lecture will examine Turn 10 approach to placing dynamic lighting baking probes used in modern real time raytracing techniques. We explore the techniques used, and what can be improved in future implementations. The use of real time raytracing is rapidly increasing the complexity of our worlds. This talk aims to share our approaches to some of these challenges with the hope that other studios and industry professional can improve their workflows"

cant wait..atleast we are getting something before GDC

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Someone have the link to that Jim Ryan (I think) quote where he said that retailers need to be provided details by February for a new console launch?
It was Shawn Layden:

"Now we have an event in February called Destination PlayStation, where we bring all retailers and third-party partners to come hear the story for the year," he said. "They're making purchasing discussions in February. June, now, is just too late to have a Christmas holiday discussion with retailers. So retail has really dropped off. And journalists now, with the internet and the fact that 24/7 there is game news, it's lost its impact around that."
Link

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I'm a long time reader, but thought I might get a bit more involved as a new Generation doesn't happen every day.

Here is what I think the consoles will be packing come reveal time, if they even reveal the tflops.

Series X
CPU - 8 Core/16 Thread Zen 2 CPU @ 3.4ghz
GPU - RDNA 56 CUs @ 1.7ghz for 12.2 tflops (Range to be 12.0-12.2 tflops)
Memory - 16gb GDDR6
Storage - 1tb SSD NVMe @ 3.5-4.0gbs read speed.
Hardware based Ray Tracing and VRS.
Secret Sauce - DX 12 baked into GPU as seen with XOX, but taken even further. Possibly the addition on lower quality RAM for the OS, leaving the full 16gb for developers.
Full back comparability for Xbox One, 360 and OG Xbox. Will be flawless, and all games will receive enhancements in resolution and frame rate.

PlayStation 5
CPU - 8 Core/16 Thread Zen 2 CPU @ 3.2ghz
GPU - RDNA 40 Cu's @ 2.0ghz for 10.25 tflops
(Range to be between.9.2-10.25 tflops)
Memory - 16gb GDDR6
Storage - 1tb SSD NVMe @ 3.5-4.0gbs read
Hybrid Ray Tracing solution and VRS
Secret Sauce - A Hybrid RT solution that is based in both hardware and Software, designed to reduce the hit to GPU performance. Additional ROPs and ACE.
Full PS4, PS3, PS2 and PS1 back compatibility. No enhancements to PS4 games from the GPU, but stronger CPU will help frame rates via a.boost mode. PS1, PS2 and PS3 will be done via emulation, with enhancements to resolution and frame rates.

Cant say there's any surprises there. I think too much time and energy has been spent by Sony on 36-40 CU GPU for it to be anything other than it. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony were aiming for the PS5 to be released in 2019, but changed their mind. I think they would have had a 8tflop console back then, and they have worked on increasing clock speeds to close the gap without starting from scratch. Sony may cut their losses and only use dies that have all 40 CU units working, giving them a boost in compute without re-engineering the whole GPU again.

Microsoft have a point to prove, and while the XOX was their apology tour, the XSX is where they will get redemption. I think they will have the power advantage, and will go for brute force with heavy DX 12 optimization as their key.

Sony however dont need redemption. Their pride is fully intact, and know that because of BC they will inherit 100 million customers who want to stay in the PS ecosystem to keep their digital library of PS4 games.
This gen Sony didnt really go balls out on the power front. They took the power crown by default due to MSs business decisions around Kinect. When they released the PS4 it was a mid range PC power equivalent box. Same went for PS4 Pro. It was just a simple refresh. So this next gen I dont see Sony stupid with the power levels. I see them gaining their advantage through efficiencies and minor bottleneck reduction implementations.

That's how I see the difference between the two of them. I expect very different secret sauces.

Anyway, for what that's worth, my apologies for having to torture yourself by reading this.
40CU at 2Ghz is so risky

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
It takes two years to redesign.
No it doesn't. What in the hell. Modifying the APU can add 6 months to overall design time. This forum is getting ridiculous with the PS5 doom and gloom.

Some of the leaps in logic here are just confounding

1. Microsoft designed a super secret 12 TF devkit that only first party and Phil had access to. Third party and the rest of the gaming world were given underpowered specs. This was all a mouse trap for Playstation.

2. Microsoft designed the Series X with the intention of catching Sony off guard. The Xbox division has espionage baked into their hardware unveil. The goal was to have developer feedback inform Mark Cerny to lowball PS5.

3. Sony cannot redesign because 250 million dollars is too costly for a company thats making nearly 10 billion a year from PS5.

4. Sony is going to launch a 40 CU machine running at 2 ghz because they have no choice. Let's ignore the fact that it could introduce massive yield issues, be more expensive in the long run, and could require an even larger box than Series X.

What I'm saying sounds flippant but the reality is the narrative being driven here is this exact one. There's a lot of bad faith posting going on and some of the most insane theories form Discord are bleeding here.

Last edited:

terawatt

Oct 27, 2017
Just took a look at the 5700 3dmark firestrike score rankings, highest score is a 2023mhz overclock, so yeah, that's not happening inside a console.

Dec 10, 2019
No it doesn't. What in the hell. Modifying the APU can add 6 months to overall design time. This forum is getting ridiculous with the PS5 doom and gloom.

What I'm saying sounds flippant but the reality is the narrative being driven here is this exact one. There's a lot of bad faith posting going on and some of the most insane theories form Discord are bleeding here.
That's just wrong. If you can do that, please send me your resume and get a ton of super high paying job offers.

Also the last time someone tried to speed up the process of designing chips using an AI program Bulldozer happened.
You can't make a meaningful change to an APU within 6 months. You can only fix and improve your design. Not make a completely new one.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Are we still doing the ReRAM thing?

I mean if we're talking about how having multiple suspended applications will negatively affect system ram usage by forcing them to reside in memory for systems that we don't even have final specs for, I just figured we might as well go full fan fiction at that point.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
This kinda thinking is just nonsense. It just doesn't work that way.

No one gets caught short anything. Too much time, money and planning go into these things for those kinda things to happen.

What happens are design choices. Very very very deliberate design choices.

Eg, MS always wanted to go with 8GB of RAM, at the time that choice was made, the only way they could achieve that was using DDR3. They also knew that that would mean they would have a bandwidth issue, so they built their APU around those choices. Put in ESRAM to help with the limited bandwidth of DDR3.

Sony, on the other hand, were ok going with 4GB of GDDR5 and some kinda DDR3 separate RAM pool (in the PS4 OG that was only like 256MB and 1GB in the Pro). So sony built their APU to accommodate 4GB of GDDR5 with a 256bit bus. Sony "lucked" out and a higher capacity of GDDR5 chips became available so it was easy doubling their RAM.

Make no mistake, both sony and MS know what the absolute limits they can do with Ryzen and Navi are. And they have both known this for over a year if not more. They both are looking at the exact same kinda issues and limitations because they are using chips from the exact same vendor. How they go about solving those issues, what "choices" they make, what they choose to focus on and why, is what will make them different.

Not that someone was caught napping while designing a billion-dollar console.

If you see Sony end up with a 9.2TF/10TF console to MS 12TF, then it would be a choice they made. And that choice would become very apparent. It may be they felt they don't need the extra power and could instead focus on other aspects or that they felt it was more important coming in at a lower price and the power gap wouldn't justify the higher price point in real-world use.

Again, choices.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

No one gets caught short anything. Too much time, money and planning go into these things for those kinda things to happen.

Eg, MS always wanted to go with 8GB of RAM, at the time that choice was made, the only way they could achieve that was using DDR3. They also knew that that would mean they would have a bandwidth issue, so they built their APU around those choices. Put in ESRAM to help with the limited bandwidth of DDR3.

Sony, on the other hand, were ok going with 4GB of GDDR5 and some kinda DDR3 separate RAM pool (in the PS4 OG that was only like 256MB and 1GB in the Pro). So sony built their APU to accommodate 4GB of GDDR5 with a 256bit bus. Sony "lucked" out and a higher capacity of GDDR5 chips became available so it was easy doubling their RAM.

Make no mistake, both sony and MS know what the absolute limits they can do with Ryzen and Navi are. And they have both known this for over a year if not more. They both are looking at the exact same kinda issues and limitations because they are using chips from the exact same vendor. How they go about solving those issues, what "choices" they make, what they choose to focus on and why, is what will make them different.

If you see Sony end up with a 9.2TF/10TF console to MS 12TF, then it would be a choice they made. And that choice would become very apparent. It may be they felt they don't need the extra power and could instead focus on other aspects or that they felt it was more important coming in at a lower price and the power gap wouldn't justify the higher price point in real-world use.

Again, choices.

They didn't have luck. They decided to go with 8 GB of RAM and without a camera. Maybe inspired by the Kinect success, they wanted a camera in the standard bundle of PS4. But after Randy Pitchford(Gearbox) told to Adam Boyes if you release with 4 Gb of RAM you are dead they decided to go with 8 GB of RAM.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

1. Microsoft designed a super secret 12 TF devkit that only first party and Phil had access to. Third party and the rest of the gaming world were given underpowered specs. This was all a mouse trap for Playstation.

2. Microsoft designed the Series X with the intention of catching Sony off guard. The Xbox division has espionage baked into their hardware unveil. The goal was to have developer feedback inform Mark Cerny to lowball PS5.

3. Sony cannot redesign because 250 million dollars is too costly for a company thats making nearly 10 billion a year from PS5.

4. Sony is going to launch a 40 CU machine running at 2 ghz because they have no choice. Let's ignore the fact that it could introduce massive yield issues, be more expensive in the long run, and could require an even larger box than Series X.

6 months? You can tweak some stuff, not redesign.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
"Breaking: insider Shinobi602 confirms PS5 reveal event will NOT be in February!"

You know that's gonna happen :p
giphy.gif

Watership

Oct 27, 2017

This series of threads has actually been pretty positive on Sony. Those negative theories have been downplayed and all the positive GPU and SSD theories have been over abundant. The only real negative feeling towards Sony here is the lack of official information.

pootybutt

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2020
You're very confused here. Our discussion to date has been about non-emulated "BC" as used to play PS4 games on PS4 Pro, or Xbox One games on One X, when there's no official enhancements. This is nearly identical between the two, and no rendering is being "handicapped".

I'm saying Sony designing the Pro such that PS4 games that were not built to leverage it via enhancements were not utilizing the full processing power and that was not a good thing at all. They should not repeat that with PS5. Boost mode came months after launch after their competition already was talking up their superior approach publicly. X1X was not handicapped by gating GPU resources while doing BC emulation nor when running X1S games. Pro was. The former is the better approach. I doubt Sony designed the Pro around boost mode as a core feature but I'd imagine for PS5 that would be remedied and they'd give the emulated PS4 games the full suite of CU's available (not including RT hardware). That is what I presume and hope they do this time.

How does that follow? On the contrary, pushing CU count higher is necessary to match some "insider" claims (e.g. both very close, PS5 more powerful, etc).

I'm not saying it follows deductively, mind you, but here is my thinking atm. More CU's + separate RT hardware would probably push performance well beyond the 12 TF of the XSX I'd assume. Taking the RT load off of the nominal GPU resources seems like it'd be a sizeable boost a ways beyond ~3 TF worth of computing, no? Guess it depends on how much weight the RT hardware is pulling. I'm assuming it carries a lot of the load, while you might assume much less.

Yes, it does. We do not know who those sources are, what info they had access to or when, how specific or precise they were when conveying it, how accurately it was passed on, etc. It's a simple argument from authority: "[X] said it, and I trust them." As I noted, this is much less of an argument, from a warrant or logical viewpoint, than the one you dismiss as unworthy of the name.

Your 'argument' earlier was just pointing out a correlation from a presumed outcome and even that merely correlates to the existence of a boost mode, not extra CU's. Then you assumed that since last time they had excess CU's sitting idly by during BC mode then this time we should presume that also happens with PS5. My point there was that you aren't offering any reasoning to suggest that so it's a non-sequitur. I think many would agree their approach to Boost Mode was not ideal and giving emulated games full access to available CU's in PS5 would be better.

And yes, I gracefully admit my reasoning regarding XSX 12 TF is indeed an argument from authority, but so is anyone willing to accept Sony/MS's own specs. Obviously not all insiders are equally credible, but Brad Sams and Tom Warren (and Paul Thurrott if he decides to pass info along at some point) are legitimately the most intrinsically well connected in the biz in terms of high level sources imho. These aren't people talking to some buddy who happens to work in marketing, or some QA tester working on a first party game, or a Turn10 coffee boy, etc. Their sources clearly are much higher up the chain since they are able to get info WAY in advance about internal strategy initiatives that others would not be privy to downstream. These MS insiders independently confirmed their info with multiple other sources before putting it out there and DF then did the same thing with their own sources (presumably dev sources).

Yes, we have a couple bits of info on XSX in github but not a lot, hence my comment. Didn't mean to suggest it was not included in the leak, just meant there was a lot less info for it than for PS5 there. Lastly, I wanna remind you that what you take as fact in the end is also gonna be a 'argument from authority' as it will be based on what these companies claim and what DF tells you instead of any actual testing you personally do. Most of us aren't interested in deductive proofs here as computing power takes a back seat to what we can verify ourselves (the games playing on our TV) and that's what matters in the end of course.

The question to be addressed if: What probability do we think certain outcomes have?

Using arguments from authority, when these authorities have uniquely good track records, it promotes the likelihood that the outcomes they ascribe to MS is indeed what MS is planning. Granted, we dunno if they will hit their 12 TF target yet. On the PS5 side, seems to me we know it can do 9.2 TF if running at a really high clock and we know there is RT hardware to account for outside that setup. We can be certain, as you have argued successfully, that PS5 likely has a boost mode for PS4/Pro BC emulation. But I'm still not seeing where you jump from 'boost mode is present' to 'more CU's are present'. Sure, more CU's would help explain how PS5 can perform on par with a 12 TF XSX, but maybe the bespoke RT setup on PS5 can do that too without any extra CU's. I'd even argue there is more vague insider commentary correlating with the latter than the former, which you can discount and understandably so, but I'm not wanting to throw any insider info away at this point myself.

Even if I don't agree with your rationale as stated, the fact we can focus a bit of attention on CU's might be fruitful. Why wouldn't they want to let PS4 games tap into the full set of CU's for this 2 GHz BC boost mode? If there are 48 CU's there, why not use them? One possibility might be that your assumption about being able to gate CU's arbitrarily might not be true. Maybe CU count, or at least even multiples of CU count, is more important than we understand? Then you could have the 48 ya think are there but not the 54 needed for a full tripling of resources. Do we know *why* boost mode only gives access to 18 CU's in the Pro? There we had twice as much available, so one would think there was a reason this mode limited access to the other CU's that got turned off. Mybe their architecture has to have that kind of handicap for some highly technical reasons we dunno yet whereas MS's didn't last time. That would provide your non-sequitur rationale with something more tangible to work with and might push us up the range of CU options for PS5 to line up with insider info.

Sep 28, 2019
I would be down for something like that, I miss the PS4 not having a proper startup animation and jingle. That said, it's an obvious fake - that 'PS5' is far too silent...
to me it appears to be somewhat legit.. While it is probably fake it does many things right. Boot up noises and Diskdrive noises are fitting. About that Google play Store .. i dont know, if a faker would want this fake to "survive" at least a couple Minutes out there that would not have been shown. That could have been covered up with another black bar. We would have no idea that underneath it would be a Google Play Store Link Icon, instead we would have assumed it covers up something that would give the leakers ID away..

So by leaving it visible the leaker either wanted it to leak togheter with the Design to show another new direction of Sonys Plans
or
he put it in as a distraction. Simply to give and otherwise credible leak a slight fake tone.
Or all is fake from beginning ;)

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

They didn't have luck. They decided to go with 8 GB of RAM and without a camera. Maybe inspired by the Kinect success, they wanted a camera in the standard bundle of PS4. But after Randy Pitchford(Gearbox) told to Adam Boyes if you release with 4 Gb of RAM you are dead they decided to go with 8 GB of RAM.
The point though is that at the time sony was actually designing a 4GB GDD5 console. And at the tie there were no 4Gb GDDR5 chips, only 2Gb chips. Those 4Gb GDDR5 chips that ended up in the PS4 weren't even available in 2012. And started making their way to products in the third quarter of 2013.

Yes, someone may have pushed or advised sony to put in more RAM, but there is no way they planned to use 8GB when making the PS4 using RAM that didn't even exist at the time of planning and up till the very year of release.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Again, choices.
You're right no one ever dreams bigger than the other guy so, Why did Sony catch Sega off guard so many years go??? Why did the Xbox 360 (out preform/similar performance) Sony's PS3 355 days earlier than Sony's planned release??? These companies can't be surprised?? That's a bunch of BS!!!

Last edited:

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
So by leaving it visible the leaker either wanted it to leak togheter with the Design to show another new direction of Sonys Plans
or
he put it in as a distraction. Simply to give and otherwise credible leak a slight fake tone.
Or all is fake from beginning ;)

What was it supposed to look like?
A link to a new future playstation app or something?

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
What was it supposed to look like?
A link to the new playstation app or something?
Its inclusion is interesting either way you look at it. If real, what would be the point? If fake, how did it get there? If someone mocked up a fake boot sequence it wouldn't have a Google Play store link automatically that he forgot to edit out. You would have to put it there intentionally. I'm still #teamfake, I just find it all bizarre.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
The point though is that at the time sony was actually designing a 4GB GDD5 console. And at the tie there were no 4Gb GDDR5 chips, only 2Gb chips. Those 4Gb GDDR5 chips that ended up in the PS4 weren't even available in 2012. And started making their way to products in the third quarter of 2013.

Yes, someone may have pushed or advised sony to put in more RAM, but there is no way they planned to use 8GB when making the PS4 using RAM that didn't even exist at the time of planning and up till the very year of release.

I don't know when the decision was taken but they asked Samsung probably which announced more GDDR5 capacity before the PS4 was announced. And they were announced in mass production before the Sony event probably in 2012.

Clamshell Mode
The GDDR5 SGRAM can operate in a x32 mode or a x16 (clamshell) mode to allow a clamshell configuration as shown in Figure 5
The mode is set at power-up.

The benefit of clamshell mode is that users are able to quickly react on changing market conditions by easily creating new product variations. E.g., by taking the same component from the inventory, utilizing the same controller, PCB layout and memory channel width, the user can decide on the actual framebuffer size at a very late stage of the manufacturing process by either populating only one side of the PCB and configuring the GDDR5 to x32 mode, which results e.g. in a 1GB framebuffer by using 8 pieces of 1Gbit with a 256-bit wide memory interface or populating both sides of the PCB and configuring the GDDR5 to x16 mode, which results e.g. in a 2GB framebuffer by using 16 pieces of 1Gbit with a 256-bit wide memory interface at the controller.

This is my first time posting but i've been an occasional lurker for a while now; anyway i just wanted to clear the uncertainty surrounding the density of the GDDR5 using a PDF from SK Hynix located here:

https://www.skhynix.com/products/support/databook.jsp

Q1 2013 for 4Gb density GDDR5, no doubt sony will be using this density.

4Gb GDDR5 chips will be used because SK Hynix will have them ready by 1Q2013 and Samsung has them listed as in mass production.

Hynix link(Pdf):
https://www.skhynix.com/inc/pdfDownload.jsp?path=/datasheet/Databook/Databook_1Q'2013_GraphicsMemory.pdf

Samsung link:
http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...t/graphic-dram/detail?productId=7824&iaId=759

I hope my first post was helpful.

And the first one to find it was a clamshell mode

Someone took this thread and created one in the old forum.

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
No apologies necessary thanks for sharing. Sony would only need NDA from any outside partners.

lmao keep up the good work thuway

Status
Not open for further replies.