• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

🥁......🎩......🐇

VARIABLE RATE SHADING - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

<div p-id="p-0001">A technique for performing rasterization and pixel shading with decoupled resolution is provided herein. The technique involves performing rasterization as normal to generate fine r

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Just the solely existence of Lockg

🥁......🎩......🐇

<div p-id="p-0001">A technique for performing rasterization and pixel shading with decoupled resolution is provided herein. The technique involves performing rasterization as normal to generate fine r

Sony can use the AMD VRS method. Same for RT, they have older patent but they can simply use AMD method or their own or PowerVR or other player in RT.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

1f3j52.png

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Dark1X will not survive this brutality. I would still be surprised to see Lock at launch. It would have to be priced at $299 for a good value proposition. At $399 a 4.2 TF lock is dead in the water. Even if DBB's wet dream comes true and somehow get a 6+ TF lock is $299 even possible/practical price now? On top of that, it kills off the 1X with a quickness bc it would be cheaper but offer similar perf.

'they have just literally posted a video not really recommending 5600xt due to lack of rt and vrs. Even though the 2060/1660ti are not faster for regular shading, the capacity for DLSS and RT means they have longer shelf life. So a lockhart at 1080p with RT and some reconstruction will Be a decent option for many. Think of Lockhart:xsx as 2060:2080 - with same CPU your basically targettting different resolutions and that works ok on pc.

I don't have an issue with Lockhart if the price is right. I'm less a fan of dragging the xb1s/x1x along for the ride for more than the first 12 months or so

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I know it's 4chan and all and this would be too crazy but the fact that this poster talked about Silent Hill soft reboot before Duskgolem can give a spark of life for this, just a spark:

Tbh, among the games people were guessing Bluepoint is making was a MGS remake. All i wanted back then is a proper remake of MG1 and MG2:SS instead of another MGS1 remake. That would be so cool if it happens with Kojima involved.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I suppose he's referring to the ones stating he's gonna be the host for said event. Still, this isn't a good sign for the Feb reveal.

What? All this tells us is that Keighley is not hosting an event on February 5th. It's not really a sign at all.

I know it's 4chan and all and this would be too crazy but the fact that this poster talked about Silent Hill soft reboot before Duskgolem can give a spark of life for this, just a spark:

Tbh, among the games people were guessing Bluepoint is making was a MGS remake. All i wanted back then is a proper remake of MG1 and MG2:SS instead of another MGS1 remake. That would be so cool if it happens with Kojima involved.

I'd buy that for... well, MANY dollars. Probably horseshit, but I hope not.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I'd buy that for... well, MANY dollars. Probably horseshit, but I hope not.

Personally, and I know this wouldn't be a smart decision, I'd rather Sony buy Suikoden and reboot I+II :). But I know it probably doesn't interest them sadly :/. Suikoden II remains one of my favorite jRPGs and games ever.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm still going to go with expecting early February. Feels most reasonable given the rumblings we have. Other feels just too easy to kinda explain away honestly.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Personally, and I know this wouldn't be a smart decision, I'd rather Sony buy Suikoden and reboot I+II :). But I know it probably doesn't interest them sadly :/. Suikoden II remains one of my favorite jRPGs and games ever.

I hear a lot about those games. Never played them but i hope someone goes back to that well for your sake, and all the other Suikoden fans.

JackAL

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 19, 2020
🥁......🎩......🐇

True. AMD created own patent for VRS few months after MS. This is nothing new. One company create some idea and few months later AMD or Nvidia create patent for hardware implementation

Last edited:

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I hear a lot about those games. Never played them but i hope someone goes back to that well for your sake, and all the other Suikoden fans.

You should if you're at all into jRPGs. The first one is reasonable in length and the second one has one of the best villains and real friendships that I've ever played in a game. Anyway, it's just sad to see how the franchise has floundered because of Konami's lack of interest. Even though I'm a bit incredulous of that rumor, it would be nice to have someone continue to develop series like Silent Hill and Castlevania.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018

> I'm an employee from Konami
> I heard for a little moment that Sony want to buy...
> Proceeds to list everything they're buying and details about what Sony will be doing with it

Sounds convincing.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
We will see. This old patent is from 2014. Long before MS and Nvidia created together RT based on BHV trees (DXR). Maybe this is very different solution than DXR currently used by MS, Nvidia and AMD

In 2014, Power VR after buying Caustic Graphics release the first raytracing GPU and they use acceleration of ray intersection and BVH. They have some technology than DXR does not have like scene hierarchy generator for generate BVH in the GPU and it seems it is able to update it each frame and hardware ray reordering. They did not have denoiser but they have it now. In DXR, BVH are generate in CPU and after some refitting is done on GPU level.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
In 2014, Power VR after buying Caustic Graphics release the first raytracing GPU and they use acceleration of ray intersection and BVH. They have some technology than DXR does not have like scene hierarchy generator for generate BVH in the GPU and it seems it is able to update it each frame and hardware ray reordering. They did not have denoiser but they have it now. In DXR, BVH are generate in CPU and after some refitting is done on GPU level.

that is close to rtx2060 which has 5gigaray/s

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, that doesn't sound convincing to me.
That statement was made in november, there would be no reason to point out that there will not be any next-gen exlusive in the next year, because there is no new console to begin with

I mean, he didn't point out that's there will not be any next-gen exclusives. That's just an assumption people jumped to.

Exactly.

Whats the family of devices? There are no One X exclusives.

Are we going to count Nov-Dec 2020 as 1 year or Nov 2020 to Nov 2021?

So much in that article implied it would be a different launch strategy this time around. At the minimum its no first party Series X exclusives from Nov-Dec 2020 or none for Nov 2020 thru Nov 2021.

I dont think the argument was no next gen exclusives at all. Just no next gen exclusives within that time frame. Why would ppl say no exclusives at all?

Even the post you are quoting isnt saying no exclusives at all.

Everyone didnt run with no exclusives at all. But some are arguing that Booty meant 2019 thru 2021 for the 2 years. That makes no kind of sense when the Series X wont be out until end of this year. Any game before the Series X launches will be seen as an XBO game BC with Series X. Not counting Halo because I dont know what their strategy will be: one game or 2 versions.

The problem with your interpretation was that he wasnt just talking about the Series X.. he was talking about the change in Microsoft's approach leading up to the the launch of the series X and beyond.

Historically they didn't do much to support the old gen. So late adopters and people who couldnt upgrade right away felt burned. Now, they want people who adopt the console late to feel like they made a good investment because they'll still be getting new content.

Whether or not ALL of the content MS makes releases after he launch of X and holiday 2021 will support Xb1 remains to be seen... his comment doesn't rule out the possibility of exclusive games at launch or shortly after launch.

if MS succeeds on not having an outcry for their "no exclusives in two years" nonsense, I I honestly believe they will continue to not have exclusives all gen. Because that plays well into Gamepass, where they will need a steady stream of games , as well as Xcloud ( that is based on Xbox One Hardware circa 2013), eventually Xcloud may shift to Lockhart, and thats still a reason to keep games being made for lesser hardware and not allow the Series X to maximize it's potential.

Honestly, in two years time they will just say framerate and resolution is worth the Series X power showcase, hence they have been saying that since UWP and their scaling messages. I mean, you have guys on Era defending this message tooth and nail saying just scaling is fine, so yeah I guess MS's messages are permeating.
So what I will say is they will keep changing their messaging ever so slightly until this gen is over, and the Series X will never get exclusives.

Is this satire?

1st, they arent waiting 2 years after launch to release an exlusive.

Also, Nothing about Gamepass or Xcloud incentivizes only making xb1 games for the entire generation.

As far as "scaling", some concepts will scale just fine. This is just how generational transitions work. If you think that games will come out within the first year or two are all going to use the hardware to the peak potential - to the point that they cant possibly be modified to work on old gen, you're going to be disappointed. Many of these games will be games that started as last gen games (so design and scope will resemble that of a last gen game) then moved to the new gen. Many them will utilize the new hardware to enable amazing visuals and effects and incredibly short load times... but that's it - so the old gen versions will have lesser visuals and longer load times.

I feel like this cynical narrative that many people believe any game can "simply scale" is a misrepresentation of actual sentiment. Its just that people recognize that few games at launch will be "Star Citizen" style, radical departures from current gen game design.

Last edited:

JackAL

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 19, 2020

How PowerVR GPU is connected to this thread about new consoles? Both consoles use AMD APU

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018

Sounds crazy but would be great if true.
Maybe someone confirm it or debunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.