• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
So think about this, OG PS4 was 18 CU, but that's 9 RDNA work groups. 2x9 work groups both feeding into a pair of shader engines would replicate the Pro's butterfly. What we know is that a SE can handle more than 10 WG's feeding into it, so I suppose the only question that remains is whether individual WG can be deactivated for BC modes, or does it need to be an entire path, I.e. SE et al.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
The answer may be beyond my depth, but why is it possible to transiently shutdown groups of CUs live, but not individual CUs?

That's a very good question. It's simpler, cleaner and more transparent to software to just shut down entire data paths. The way these GPUs are organized they have clear and even work division, be it as a bunch of CUs under a SE or a bunch of WGPs under a SA (and a bunch of SAs under a SE).

One thing that kinda points towards this "evenness" being a somewhat desirable is that CUs/WGPs are always disabled as pairs.

So think about this, OG PS4 was 18 CU, but that's 9 RDNA work groups. 2x9 work groups both feeding into a pair of shader engines would replicate the Pro's butterfly. What we know is that a SE can handle more than 10 WG's feeding into it, so I suppose the only question that remains is whether individual WG can be deactivated for BC modes, or does it need to be an entire path, I.e. SE et al.

I still subscribe to my theory that they'll do 56 active CUs as two 14WGPs SEs, 5-5-4 + 5-5-4 WGPs, use only 5-4 for PS4, 5-4 + 5-4 for PS4Pro and the whole thing for PS5.

Japi

Banned
Oct 14, 2019
I can see it although that does not mean that PS5 does not have VRS or RT. It can simply mean that Microsoft's VRS and RT solution to be customized is superior. As the Sony ssd solution.

Where the hell are all of these assumptions coming from? Sony weakens the main money maker to focus of VR? Do you realise how stupid that would be?

Idk if you guys are joking, but either way, quite silly to entertain the thought of sony pulling an xbox with kinect instead of putting their main focus on the PS5 itself 🤨

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
That's a very good question. It's simpler, cleaner and more transparent to software to just shut down entire data paths. The way these GPUs are organized they have clear and even work division, be it as a bunch of CUs under a SE or a bunch of WGPs under a SA (and a bunch of SAs under a SE).

One thing that kinda points towards this "evenness" being a somewhat desirable is that CUs/WGPs are always disabled as pairs.

I still subscribe to my theory that they'll do 56 active CUs as two 14WGPs SEs, 5-5-4 + 5-5-4 WGPs, use only 5-4 for PS4, 5-4 + 5-4 for PS4Pro and the whole thing for PS5.
I take it you're assuming 15WGP SE in silicon, with two disabled overall?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I take it you're assuming 15WGP SE in silicon, with two disabled overall?

Yup, 5 WGP per SA.

EDIT: quick block diagram to illustrate:

x2702cg.jpg

Last edited:

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
So, genuine question, if we go through the entire month of february without hearing a peep about all this, how are y'all gonna feel?

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Since this thread seems to be an [annoyingly] hotbed of rumors and the like, I will just issue a blanket statement here.

Official Staff Communication
Unless specified, assume all information, verified rumor or not, is just that - a rumor. Legit insiders may get things wrong, and fake insiders may slip through the cracks. There is only so much I can verify. While I will do my utmost best to provide verification for credible info, I cannot promise 100% success. Please keep any expectations in check.

Thanks. Please feel free to PM me if you have questions.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Since the RBs are part of the SAs, it would be 96 ROPs for PS5.

That's 3 shader engines, since each shader engine so far looks to be 32 rops each.

techpowerup has placed Xbox Series X with 96 rops.

www.techpowerup.com

AMD Xbox Series X GPU Specs

AMD Scarlett, 1825 MHz, 3328 Cores, 208 TMUs, 64 ROPs, 10240 MB GDDR6, 1750 MHz, 320 bit

Of course they are only guessing, it seems to be placeholder.

They're guessing.

Github leak already shows 64 ROPS for all next gen consoles. 320 bit bus for Xsx, like in the teaser from e3 2019.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Nope, that's 2 Shader Engines with 3 Shader Arrays each, 4 RBs per Array, 16 ROPs. Navi rearranged a bunch of stuff, RBs are coupled to a SA now.

I am pretty sure each SE in Navi 10 has two shader arrays. Are you talking about a version with 3 shader arrays?

You're right about SA / RBE coupling.

Technically they can do 52CU, 5,4,4 and 5,4,4.

Last edited:

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017

...I still subscribe to my theory that they'll do 56 active CUs as two 14WGPs SEs, 5-5-4 + 5-5-4 WGPs, use only 5-4 for PS4, 5-4 + 5-4 for PS4Pro and the whole thing for PS5.
If the latter scenario is possible, then why not mine? View it as two 13 WGP SEs, 5-4-3 + 5-4-3. Use only 5-4 for PS4, 5-4 + 5-4 for PS4Pro, and the whole thing for PS5. There's a slight hit to yields since the lead array can't have any WGP disabled. But on the other hand, the chip as a whole is smaller, pushing yields back up (I would think more than the losses).

Github leak already shows 64 ROPS for all next gen consoles.
Really? That would put XSX with the worst ROP/CU ratio of any Navi product, by far. Is there a technical reason why this wouldn't matter? From my admittedly very limited understanding, modern rendering techniques are trending toward more and more MRTs. Doesn't that require greater ROP resources?

On the other hand, GCN cards had lower ratios across the board. So maybe it's no big deal.

Last edited:

thuway

Oct 27, 2017

Hmm. 56 CU at what clock speed tho?

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Really? That would put XSX with the worst ROP/CU ratio of any Navi product, by far. Is there a technical reason why this wouldn't matter? From my admittedly very limited understanding, modern rendering techniques are trending toward more and more MRTs. Doesn't that require greater ROP resources?

On the other hand, GCN cards had lower ratios across the board. So maybe it's no big deal.

X1X had 32 ROPS only and it was fine.

I don't think ROPs are that important. More than 64 and you're likely to be memory bandwidth bound anyways.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
If the latter scenario is possible, then why not mine? View it as two 13 WGP SEs, 5-4-3 + 5-4-3. Use only 5-4 for PS4, 5-4 + 5-4 for PS4Pro, and the whole thing for PS5. There's a slight hit to yields since the lead array can't have any WGP disabled. But on the other hand, the chip as a whole is smaller, pushing yields back up (I would think more than the losses).

I imagine that having SAs that are almost half as capable as others might end up creating work scheduling issues, especially since the SAs are much more of "standalone" entities than CUs were in GCN (I mean, they have their own cache level, WGPs don't talk to L2 at all). I mean, having any kind of unevenness at all is probably less than ideal, but you likely wouldn't want to take it very far.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Once again, if you don't know how to argue without bringing things up that have nothing to do with the topic to take the talk away from it then you're not worth it.
You are telling me that there is not much money to make on PC........or trying to convince me what exactly? All of this coming at a time when Halo did 2 million in Steam sales in 2 days at the back end of last year. Free money.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
What do you guys think do these two relate? Has Microsoft mentioned Navi anywhere or just RDNA? Do we know what's different between NAVI and RDNA2 other than RT and process node?

Powered by our custom-designed processor leveraging the latest Zen 2 and next generation RDNA architecture from our partners at AMD, Xbox Series X will deliver hardware accelerated ray tracing and a new level of performance never before seen in a console.

Status
Not open for further replies.