• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
5wPEKQU.jpg

According to my calculations it's Feb 18 or 19.
giphy.gif

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019

Yeah they are just celebrating PS4 and PSVR games, which going by my math actually means that no announcement of the PS5 takes places before or during that. If it were to happen they would include PS5, because they already did so on their twitter account. They officially acknowledged the PS5 exists, but not for the TGS.
This is probably just a small thing for visitors.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My gosh people , this lack of concrete news has given y'all some sort of brain disease. Maybe take a deep breath and step away from the hype train for a couple days. You'll all wind up getting so hyped that whenever this event finally happens it'll be a colossal let down.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going with March because realistically that's the longest they can keep everything a secret. I'm also not fond of Internet rumors driving themselves.

Aug 26, 2019
My gosh people , this lack of concrete news has given y'all some sort of brain disease. Maybe take a deep breath and step away from the hype train for a couple days. You'll all wind up getting so hyped that whenever this event finally happens it'll be a colossal let down.
The most hilarious outcome would be if there was no "Killzone: Shadow Fall" moment and next-gen graphics are actually disappointing.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

I think 90% of the people here are just messing about, it happens when it happens.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Couldn't a mod just take care of this stuff and only elevate it to you if need be? I thought that was the practice anyway. I don't even think this person has any desire to be vetted for info.
Nah, it's always been an admin.

Anyway I checked out Lintend and as far as I can tell it's complete speculation at this point.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
With regards to potential PS5 reveal:

While listening to the latest Easy Allies podcast, they referenced Shawn Layden's interview with CNET pertaining to not attenting E3 2018. This bit seems intriguing:

"Now we have an event in February called Destination PlayStation, where we bring all retailers and third-party partners to come hear the story for the year. They're making purchasing discussions in February. June, now, is just too late to have a Christmas holiday discussion with retailers. So retail has really dropped off. And journalists now, with the internet and the fact that 24/7 there is game news, it's lost its impact around that."

Edit: Link

Now, if retailers are indeed needed to informed by February about pricing and other relevant matters so as to start the world-wide logistical chain of events for release during "Christmas holiday", it stands to reason that the probability of leaks skyrockets next months and thus it is in the best interest of Sony to reveal the relevant bits of the console before disseminating that information to the retailers.

I made the list!!!!!!!

Wait... that's a good thing right?

In my book, it is.

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
The domain for the PlayStation Meeting is/was http://playstationmeeting.com/. I check the WHOIS for the domain daily to see if any updates happen. At time of writing, this is the information (via Network Solutions):

Code:
Domain Name: PLAYSTATIONMEETING.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1777097825_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Registrar URL: http://networksolutions.com
Updated Date: 2019-05-01T21:46:03Z
Creation Date: 2013-01-29T18:48:38Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2021-01-29T18:48:38Z
Registrar: Network Solutions, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 2
Reseller: 
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: 
Registrant Name: Sony Interactive Entertainment America
Registrant Organization: Sony Interactive Entertainment America
Registrant Street: 2207 BRIDGEPOINTE PKWY
Registrant City: FOSTER CITY
Registrant State/Province: CA
Registrant Postal Code: 94404-5060
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.6506555506
Registrant Phone Ext: 
Registrant Fax: 
Registrant Fax Ext: 
Registrant Email: [email protected]
Registry Admin ID: 
Admin Name: Domain Name Admin, SIE
Admin Organization: Sony Interactive Entertainment, LLC
Admin Street: 2207 BRIDGEPOINTE PKWY
Admin City: FOSTER CITY
Admin State/Province: CA
Admin Postal Code: 94404-5060
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.6506555506
Admin Phone Ext: 
Admin Fax: 
Admin Fax Ext: 
Admin Email: [email protected]
Registry Tech ID: 
Tech Name: Domain Name Admin, SIE
Tech Organization: Sony Interactive Entertainment, LLC
Tech Street: 2207 BRIDGEPOINTE PKWY
Tech City: FOSTER CITY
Tech State/Province: CA
Tech Postal Code: 94404-5060
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: +1.6506555506
Tech Phone Ext: 
Tech Fax: 
Tech Fax Ext: 
Tech Email: [email protected]
Name Server: NS1.SCEA.COM
Name Server: NS2.SCEA.COM
Name Server: NS3.SCEA.COM
Name Server: NS4.SCEA.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8003337680
URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2020-01-24T18:53:38Z <<<

The domain does not appear to work at the moment (I get a failed:net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT status message in Chrome). Why it was updated on May 1, 2019 I do not know.

2013 I believe was the most recent year the domain was used for PlayStation Meeting. Whether it will be used for PlayStation Meeting 2020 I do not know, but considering Sony still holds on to it there's at least nothing hindering them from utilizing the site to unveil PS5.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Now, if retailers are indeed needed to informed by February about pricing and other relevant matters so as to start the world-wide logistical chain of events for release during "Christmas holiday", it stands to reason that the probability of leaks skyrockets next months and thus it is in the best interest of Sony to reveal the relevant bits of the console before disseminating that information to the retailers.

I am not saying that you are onto something, but I definitely do like your line of thinking here !

hardseppo

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I wonder how the power of the new consoles will divide the market again. At the beginning of the last generation, almost all X-Box 360 buddies of mine switched to PS4 because of "more power" to play their FIFA. All PS3 buddies switched to PS4 of course.

If Microsoft's machine should be stronger this time, I wonder if it will also work the other way around.

Colbert Wie findest Du die österreichischen Biere? Ich steh' auf Edelweiss Weizenbier. Beste.

Aug 26, 2019

While listening to the latest Easy Allies podcast, they referenced Shawn Layden's interview with CNET pertaining to not attenting E3 2018. This bit seems intriguing:

In my book, it is.
What makes this even more interesting is that they [Sony] won't be hosting Destination PlayStation this year.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
What the hell doe this have to do with anything? You were saying there is way too much money in putting your games on PC when in fact that's far from the truth, Sony doesn't make billions from their first party games but having people spend money on their platform, physical games, digital, subscriptions, MTX, etc... you don't build a platform by putting your games on PC, it's just a drop in a bucket, if you truly wanna argue dufferently then you're being purposefully obtuse.
Oh my! You think that Microsoft is losing by adding potentially more consumers by pushing games on Steam?

My argument was simple, extremely so. That is that Microsoft's business model is not solely centered around selling consoles but expanding their business model to PC, and eventually mobile, tablets etc via streaming. Microsoft does not care where you get their first party games at, so long as you have Live/Game Pass account, you are their client. That is the ecosystem, and they don't care whether they lose some money to other storefronts in order to get more consumers on board. If you cannot understand this, then I fail to see why it is you are even debating with me seeing that even Sony is starting to trend in that direction.

The people who cannot see this are those who still imagine that an ecosystem is a piece of plastic box.

And what does it cost them to put their games on Steam? They already have those games on Windows Store. Pushing Steam, Epic Store or others is simply laying a bigger canvas on which they can paint. This isn't me being purposely obtuse as you call it, it is simply you taking what is a rather simple statement and running with it to mean whatever it is you imagine it is.

What is strange is that you were not only debating some time back that trade conferences are not the right place to announce studio acquisitions, you are now trying to argue that a business trying to make money by expanding its ecosystem is what? Come on man.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Yeah they are just celebrating PS4 and PSVR games, which going by my math actually means that no announcement of the PS5 takes places before or during that. If it were to happen they would include PS5, because they already did so on their twitter account. They officially acknowledged the PS5 exists, but not for the TGS.
This is probably just a small thing for visitors.
Maybe they will announce the reveal date at Taipei

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Liabe Brave do you think the way ps pro does BC by turning off half the CUs affects the likely layout of ps5? If they have 18CU active for PS4-> 36CU for ps5 pro -> ? For PS5. Is it not logical to be a multiple of 18 or some other multiple? How are you coming to your choice of 48? 18-36-48 doesn't immediately scan as a progression?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

In my book, it is.

right - but what leaks? In 2013 there would be a risk they leak the name and some basic info. This time around the basic info that retailers would have, has already been shared via wired - cpu/Navi/RT/controller/name/logo. Only 'retailer' things left are the box which is difficult to leak, and games - which Sony didn't really show in 2013 until June anyway

so although I still think it'll be feb, destination PlayStation isn't a major reason why IMO.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Sony main focus is VR with eye tracking with foveated rendering and virtual localization of sound (great for VR). Nearly 40 patents about VR tech, no single about RT or VRS.

Playstation "secret sauce" is best VR experience.
Xbox "secret sauce" is VRS and RT

Foveated rendering is just a way to draw less detailed things in places you won't notice them - basically VRS. I think someone posted a patent application from Cerny a few pages ago which sounded like sony's approach to VRS

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
I think Godfall PS5(based from trailer) release game is just another slash looter. Graphics are nice but nothing stands out as amazing neverseen next gen graphics. People that are keep saying graphics will get a lot better because its only alpha/old trailer,well let me tell you after almost 20years of playing and following video games alpha/beta graphics are ALMOST the same as final build, so that "it's only a beta" is crap most of the time. There's higher chance it will get downgraded than upgraded graphically.

It is running on PC anyway so...

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017

In my book, it is.
Damn I hope we get a Xbox event next month too. I mean if retailers must be notified, makes sense

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
The domain does not appear to work at the moment (I get a failed:net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT status message in Chrome). Why it was updated on May 1, 2019 I do not know.

2013 I believe was the most recent year the domain was used for PlayStation Meeting. Whether it will be used for PlayStation Meeting 2020 I do not know, but considering Sony still holds on to it there's at least nothing hindering them from utilizing the site to unveil PS5.
The most recent would be 2016. Because of PlayStation 4 Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.