• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
the same thing was said about native 4k

And native 4k is a thing that a lot of games still don't do. If anything, you kept hearing about 4k only because "4k-ish" techniques became prevalent among developers.

Seeing as 60fps isn't even a standard, I don't see 120fps becoming a popular selling point.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
AVgO.gif
Perfection.gif :)

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I wish they looked more like high end AV gear too, I mean this is my UHD Player.
1536830869_review-panasonic-dp-ub9000-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player.jpg
HardtofindHandyCicada.webp

----------------------------

On another note, cheers Mecha Meister for the poll, however, I do think the other option would have been more interesting in terms of the responses.

This one was predictable to the extent of it being a pretty meaningless exercise. I don't wanna be the "nofunallowed.gif" guy, but I don't see the point of a poll when you already intuitively know the answer that 99% of respondents would pick.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
And native 4k is a thing that a lot of games still don't do. If anything, you kept hearing about 4k only because "4k-ish" techniques became prevalent among developers.

Seeing as 60fps isn't even a standard, I don't see 120fps becoming a popular selling point.
The point is people hew hewed it but there are indeed AAA with native 4k. There will be some games that feature 120 fps next gen, though as you said yourself, they are likely to be smaller less graphically intensive games. And I agree.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
The point is people hew hewed it but there are indeed AAA with native 4k. There will be some games that feature 120 fps next gen, though as you said yourself, they are likely to be smaller less graphically intensive games. And I agree.

I'd personally put 120fps in the same corner as 8k. Will some things exist? Yes. But they will be rarities. (Which it sounds like we generally agree.)

However, outside of potentially some cross gen titles where ambitions are curtailed and experimenting is happening, I doubt we'll see AAA games supporting 120fps (Or 8k). Maybe I'll be wrong.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
I voted February because 1.) I believe in Klee and 2.) It's what most journalists seem to be expecting and maybe we'd have heard by now if there was gonna be no reveal in Feb.?

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
120fps is going to be a bullet point you see on the occasional fast-paced, graphically non-demanding indie game. I'd put money on it being a thing you almost never hear about again after these consoles launch.

You're not going to convince people to honour and buy new TVs again for this stuff when even 4k TVs have only been defacto within the last couple of years.
I think some esports focused games might offer 120Hz modes. Stuff like R6 Siege, Overwatch, Rocket League. It will be pretty rare overall though. I'd just be happy with more 60fps games.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
I think some esports focused games might offer 120Hz modes. Stuff like R6 Siege, Overwatch, Rocket League. It will be pretty rare overall though. I'd just be happy with more 60fps games.
I am even more fascinated to see how they handle patch roll outs. how many of these 30fps locked titles will either get frame unlocks or pull fledge enhancement patches on launch day. hope sony/ms have made it as simple as possible.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

That's a good argument. Likewise, since those games will be cross-gen/last gen titles from a graphical/computational perspective, they are more likely be able to meet that.

Could likewise be a way for them to sell "next gen" versions to new customers without actually having to put in a lot of dev work.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I am even more fascinated to see how they handle patch roll outs. how many of these 30fps locked titles will either get frame unlocks or pull fledge enhancement patches on launch day. hope sony/ms have made it as simple as possible.
I can't imagine the process will be much different than Pro/X patches.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Random question: has there been any discussion on whether or not our library of apps will be "backwards compatible" or workable on the new system? Just realizing how much my Xbox One X is used for non-gaming activities. Sure, Netflix is a given, etc., but with DAZN, Plex, Kodi, Crave, Amazon Prime etc. it'd not be great if we're waiting months for the devs of apps to get out new versions.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I voted for May because even if I think it will be in February, I would like to see how Era would react if there wasn't a PlayStation Meeting in February.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Now that would be ridiculous, you need press at these events for proper coverage outside of the gaming bubble as state of plays don't reach that far.

You also want them there to ask questions, get quotes and to come back and report (hopefully positive hands-on) impressions.

It probably costs Sony more to be at CES than to buy an ad spot for the Superbowl, so imagine how amplified the messaging will be vs the logo reveal.
The can do a State Of Play and have an exclusive coverage with Digital Foundry.
Nintendo Switch was introduce by a 3:37 video, so, no, you don't "need" a physical event.

Status
Not open for further replies.