• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
As there is no news I will share my living room setup with a Xbox Series X pictured from my couch ...
My PS4 is behind the left upper closed panel.

FsrZiqx.png
The raytracing looks horribly implemented, you can still see light bleed under the series x console.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I'm super excited to learn about any differences in VRS and Ray Tracing efficiencies that the next gen systems have, if any. I think they could end up making a huge difference in real world performance. For example:

A next gen system with Ray Tracing as efficient as RTX would see a 50% drop in performance to turn RT on in most cases. You can see the 50% performance drop, as measured by FPS in the latest DF 5600 XT video.

A 12TF GPU with 50% efficiency RT hardware would perform (resolution x fps) as well as a theoretical 6TF GPU with 100% RT efficiency implementation (one which does not impact the performance at all) or a 6TF system with no RT.

A theoretical 9.2TF GPU that is 15% better, or that allows 65% efficiency of the GPU would also perform as well as the theoretical 6TF free RT GPU/6T no RT GPU.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Yep. Only two posts the first thread (which wasn't even marked as an OT, so presumably it was grandfathered in retroactively.) I suspect I've posted in every single one, but I haven't actually done the homework to prove it - it's just insatiable curiosity and the occasional insight to share.

No but from a tech standpoint PS5 is not really backwards compatible, it's basically just a more powerful PS4 so in essence its native ps4 support.

That's what backwards compatible means for most technology. Intel's 80286/386/486 were backward compatible with the 8086 in the same sense, and nobody claims they weren't really backwards compatible. Emulation or embedding a complete earlier-gen system with a passthrough mechanism for controls and A/V were techniques established later, and in the beginning they were often optional additions rather than built in and advertised as backward compatibility.

Oct 27, 2017
shinobi602

Due to the fact that Whushu Studios are (i hope) releasing a game on 2020, have the studio already PS5 or Xbox devkits, or your releasing is happening only on current gen?

(either way, i am very looking foward to get some glimpse on your game)

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It would matter if their business model was centered around simply selling consoles. It isn't. Way too much money to be made with games on PC, and in the future, streaming.
Everyone's business is centered around getting people into your ecosystem and spending their money there, buying some of your games on another platform isn't that and is change money at best.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I am surprised by how low Nintendo and PC are. MS has an uphill battle either way.

The article does also note that "one in three of the people surveyed said they were interested in purchasing the PlayStation 5, while 1 in 4 were interested in the Xbox Series X", which is actually pretty solid for Xbox to be that close already in terms of interest in this specific survey. Xbox is going to compete much better this next generation with all of their new studios and of course the big Game Pass push and xCloud service.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Lager is the best beer. Wheat beer is disgusting and should be forbidden.
Are you one of those Americans who do not know the relationships between lager, pilsner, wheat beer and ale? :) I always find it funny when I go to US bars and asks what lager they have and get offered some ale. Wheat beer contains a lot of barley malt, usually a pale variety like Pilsner, even though it's considered an ale, it's not that far off from a pilsner (which is a lager).

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
It would matter if their business model was centered around simply selling consoles. It isn't. Way too much money to be made with games on PC, and in the future, streaming.
With how some people are putting an emphasis on MS not being in the business to sell hardware anymore, why not just go third-party then? Why limit themselves to PC when there are 100M PS4's out there?

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
So it's pretty clear that there might not be an early February event due to the fact we'd know about it by know from press invites having to be sent out, so it got me thinking.

What if either company was holding it back til later in February so they could utilise one of the worlds biggest marketing events that took place at the very start of the month.

The Superbowl.

It's the biggest advertising platform every year as a televised event and even just the word of mouth that follows and yet is underutilised by the gaming industry.
One of Xbox's 2019 success stories was their Superbowl spot last year advertising the Xbox adaptive controller, so having another spot wouldn't be that far a reach would it?

All it would take is one of the companies to buy a 30 second slot to just have time and date of when their actual reveal event will take place later in the month to really get people talking.
Someone else in this thread was thinking Super Bowl as well. I personally don't think it will happen, but hey.
That was me!

Super bowl ads are stupid expensive idk

To clarify a 30 second ad will cost $5.6m for the 2020 super bowl.

MS's 2019 Superbowl ad was on the adaptive controller, while the broader message was on accessibility and adaptability, that product itself is very niche.

Six million bucks to introduce the next installment of one of the biggest IP in gaming (Halo) and your brand new next gen gaming product (Series X) to 100 million live people. The reach of the ad would be huge, and it'd be the top gaming story on all the major sites the next day (or more).

I think it'd absolutely be worth it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
He's right but in the meantime I wouldn't upgrade for something I didn't enjoy today. It's wise to think about standards but for someone satisfied of his current rig there is no hurry. Especially considering that Microsoft seems wanting to smooth a maximum the transition between Windows and the Xbox, with their cross-gen publishing strategy and Lockhart.

honestly if your budget is 5600XT level and you're looking to buy now, I don't think its necessarily helpful to go 'oh well you don't have RT or VRS' - just enjoy games without RT like many other people for a few years until RT has come down the range and RT engines have developed to be more efficient and then update.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the last thing this thread needs is copious quantities of alcohol.

too late?

I'm super excited to learn about any differences in VRS and Ray Tracing efficiencies that the next gen systems have, if any. I think they could end up making a huge difference in real world performance. For example:

A next gen system with Ray Tracing as efficient as RTX would see a 50% drop in performance to turn RT on in most cases. You can see the 50% performance drop, as measured by FPS in the latest DF 5600 XT video.

A 12TF GPU with 50% efficiency RT hardware would perform (resolution x fps) as well as a theoretical 6TF GPU with 100% RT efficiency implementation (one which does not impact the performance at all) or a 6TF system with no RT.

A theoretical 9.2TF GPU that is 15% better, or that allows 65% efficiency of the GPU would also perform as well as the theoretical 6TF free RT GPU/6T no RT GPU.

That would provide some Interesting dynamic.

Are you one of those Americans who do not know the relationships between lager, pilsner, wheat beer and ale? :) I always find it funny when I go to US bars and asks what lager they have and get offered some ale. Wheat beer contains a lot of barley malt, usually a pale variety like Pilsner, even though it's considered an ale, it's not that far off from a pilsner (which is a lager).
I am an American who does know the difference. I do not like wheat beers simply because I have a mild wheat allergy. Keep the ales, pale ales, IPA's, APA's, lagers, kölsch and pilsners flowing.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017

No, one of those Europeans. :lol

Don't know much about beer, but I do know that I don't like the wheat ones. 😀

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The article does also note that "one in three of the people surveyed said they were interested in purchasing the PlayStation 5, while 1 in 4 were interested in the Xbox Series X", which is actually pretty solid for Xbox to be that close already in terms of interest in this specific survey. Xbox is going to compete much better this next generation with all of their new studios and of course the big Game Pass push and xCloud service.
The article also note that price a the main factor for 90%.
Interested in purchase doesn't mean anything while we doesn't have all the details, including price.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Most french doesn't know either, bartender included. You need to go to a "beer bar" to be have those answers.
"one of those" is pretty disrespectful and, in that case, a little bit rascist.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
With how some people are putting an emphasis on MS not being in the business to sell hardware anymore, why not just go third-party then? Why limit themselves to PC when there are 100M PS4's out there?
They are not solely on the business of selling hardware. This much has been obvious for some time. And yes, they at times behave almost as a third party, an example would be keeping Minecraft on as many platforms as possible, having Cuphead and Ori on the Switch.

Outside this? They need games that can make Game Pass more appealing as a platform. So I am at pains as to what the line of debate essentially is.

Everyone's business is centered around getting people into your ecosystem and spending their money there, buying some of your games on another platform isn't that and is change money at best.
And what happens when your ecosystem on a certain hardware platform is not as mature? You give up on those clients?

Steam has how many accounts? You make your money on console to cover all the costs, make a profit. Anything that comes off PC is essentially free money even if you have to pay the store commission. Money is money, and any company worth their salt looks to expand its reach.

Why on earth do you think Sony is moving some of their stuff to PC including games and PS Now? Or partnering with Microsoft on cloud solutions? Why not set up their own storefront or their own cloud computing infrastructure on a worldwide scale? It is almost as if some of these lines of debate are not in tune with what is happening in the business of gaming.

Or that some have come to think that the only way an ecosystem can exist, and a successful one at that is when you control absolutely everything. It is nonsense, and we all know it. So the question is why on earth do people still pursue it?

Last edited:

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
How do we expect cross gen games to perform on these new consoles? I think it's going to be interesting this time with PS4 Pro and the One X thrown into the mix with them still offering "4k" visuals.

Can it be assumed that the PS5 and Series X will be able to run the cross gen stuff with ease? Less resolution scaling and 60fps? Also really curious what the different graphics "modes" on the new consoles will be. Will they offer 3-4 tiers of graphics/frame rate scaling instead of 2 that are typical on the PS4 Pro and One X?

PS4/Xbone
~1080p/30

PS4 Pro/One X
~1080p/60 locked aka "Performance"
~CB4k w/ scaling/30 aka "Quality"

PS5/Series X
1080p/60 locked aka "Performance"
4k native/30 locked aka ??
~CB4k w/ scaling/60 aka "Quality"

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
next week should be interesting. Sony's quarterly report should be on the 31st and if they repeat what they did for the PS4 then they'll announce the reveal event next week too.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
How do we expect cross gen games to perform on these new consoles? I think it's going to be interesting this time with PS4 Pro and the One X thrown into the mix with them still offering "4k" visuals.

Can it be assumed that the PS5 and Series X will be able to run the cross gen stuff with ease? Less resolution scaling and 60fps? Also really curious what the different graphics "modes" on the new consoles will be. Will they offer 3-4 tiers of graphics/frame rate scaling instead of 2 that are typical on the PS4 Pro and One X?

PS4/Xbone
~1080p/30

PS4 Pro/One X

PS5/Series X
I am not so interested in the cross-get stuff but I am hoping for a lot of options. I would take 1080p60 in many cases with all the bells and whistles. And when the only option is higher resolution, I do hope they choose reconstruction techniques.
Couldn't a mod just take care of this stuff and only elevate it to you if need be? I thought that was the practice anyway. I don't even think this person has any desire to be vetted for info.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Good point. How many are actually here since OT1?
I just checked and DrKeo joined 03/03/19 while OT1 ended 06/10/18 . So he has heard less drivel lol.
MM/DD/YY
Oh my, I was wrong then.

I've seen him make some nice additions to previous OTs though, so he counts as an active member to me 😀
He is a great contributor and most certainly an active member, but that is not the purpose of this list - Colbert had asked who was still around from OT1 and I was piggy backing off of i-Lo's list...
I'm here since OT3, late compared to the OT1 people but early enough to post some "no way RT/SSD will be in a console" posts :D

I found this place because someone on my Israeli gaming forum kept posting in our next-gen thread Colbert tables :)

Stout is where it's at. Nothing like a Guinness fresh from the tap.
The current answer :)

xem

Oct 31, 2017

PS4/Xbone
~1080p/30

PS4 Pro/One X

PS5/Series X
Im not so sure we'll get modes early on atleast. this first year or 2 of transition id expect the new consoles to handle 4k (and in some cases chkrboard) and 60fps

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

PS4/Xbone
~1080p/30

PS4 Pro/One X

PS5/Series X

Something more like this sounds likely to me:

PS4/Xbone
~720-1080p/30
~Reduced assets and features

PS4 Pro/One X
~1080p/30-60 variable "Performance"
~CB4k w/ scaling/ 1440/30 variable "Quality"
~Depending on the game, reduced assets and features if they hit the CPU (Think "crowd density" or the like)

PS5/Series X
~1080p/60 locked aka "Performance" (similarly hit or miss depending on the developer, but more for people with old TVs than anything)
~CB4k w/ scaling/ 1440 and less/ some features like ray tracing off/30-60 new "Performance"
~4k native sometimes (Probably fairly common for cross gen titles)/ more often reconstructed/ better assets or things like ray tracing (Though cross gen probably will have these in limited quantities)/30 locked new "Quality" (I also imagine a decent number of these may have higher than 30 fps while cross gen, especially if they lack extra graphical features)

So I think just two options at the most, and maybe a legacy 1080p version of some games, though I imagine that being somewhat unlikely as they could just downsample from Performance or something.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
I'd been lurking for awhile, but I'm afraid I only joined during OT 5. Two OTs later and my submission for the OT name would win and we were graced with |OT 7| - nm.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017

The money is in owning the storefront that allows content onto the device. If Sony would allow MS to operate a storefront on their hardware they would absolutely do so and visa/versa, but of course neither will because locking owners into your storefront is the whole point of selling consoles these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.