• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The only logical conclusion is Sony are using both a controller from Samsung and Phison. One for the SSD, one for ReRAM 😉

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So many folks getting stuck on the minutiae when in reality these two systems will come out, be leaps and bounds better than last console transition, everyone will get to play amazing games and the PC master race will continue to turn it's nose up to the boxes.

Percent here, a flop there, we're all gonna be having fun.

Isn't that the entire point of this thread?

Oct 26, 2017
Man the comments there, it seems people just do not understand what a fast loading drive can fully achieve. Its not just how fast a game loads, but also how everything can be put into place and how much you can have on screen at one time. All systems having SSDs will benefit all next-gen though.

How will they benefit.

I doubt developers are going to put a ton of assets in a spot that you can zoom past at a million miles an hour.

Sonic Team discovered pretty quickly that this does not go well.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I strongly doubt that sony (or anyone for that matter) would go with a custom proprietary likely more expensive option for just a 0.5-1sec advantage. It makes zero sense.

Again, part of Sony's patent is about making the SSD cheaper to make, so in this case proprietary isn't going to mean it's more expensive than using a third party.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
So many folks getting stuck on the minutiae when in reality these two systems will come out, be leaps and bounds better than last console transition, everyone will get to play amazing games and the PC master race will continue to turn it's nose up to the boxes.

Percent here, a flop there, we're all gonna be having fun.

Hopefully there isn't anyone on this forum that says "PC Master Race" seriously.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a dev but I feel like just attributing faster load times to the SSD is short-sighted when there are likely other meaningful ways to make use of its speed.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
The thing that's funny is that they're assuming Sony is using Samsung because of a DS4 in the product video and in the Phison video for their controller, they actually use a PS4 Pro and DS4.
That's clearly a DualShock 3, not 4. Looks like they're canceling the PS5 and just reissuing the PS3 with an SSD.

The only concrete info we have is what MS and sony have revealed themselves.
No, the GitHub leak is concrete info. It can be interpreted in multiple ways, but any description of the consoles has to include a reasonable interpretation of it. It can't just be dismissed the way many pastebins can.

Yes I know. I just meant that my guess atm until I learn otherwise is that it could well be set apart from the other GPU resources or something along those lines. That would explain why we hear about 'TF numbers don't tell whole story' as well as 9.2 TF from the AMD data stress tests and still could dovetail with what insiders have said more or less. I'm trying to find ways to reconcile the various bits and pieces of the puzzle so far. :)
There's another, more logical way to reconcile everything. We know the GitHub notes were from tests of backwards compatibility. The current example we have for Sony doing that is on PS4 Pro, which natively has 36 CUs at 911 MHz. Its PS4 compatibility mode downgrades that to 18 CUs at 800 MHz to perfectly mirror its predecessor machine. But it also has Boost Mode, meant to smooth out dynamic res and unstable framerates of games that don't officially support the Pro hardware. That mode runs 18 CUs at 911 MHz. That is, keeping the CU number the same as the prior hardware, but bumping up the clocks to current max. (I suspect it also disables the ID buffer and other new Pro hardware as superfluous, as suggested by Sony patents.) Note that this setup doesn't represent the total capacity of the GPU in the console, just the max they allow for boosting.

Well, what does the PS5 have to do for backwards compatibility? The same strict hardware mirroring approach would require 18 CUs at 800 MHz, and 36 CUs at 911 MHz--and that's exactly what the GitHub notes showed. But games with official PS4 Pro enhancements can have dynamic res and unstable framerates too, so why not have a Boost Mode for them? Say...36 CUs at 2.0 GHz. That is, keeping the CU number the same as the prior hardware, but bumping up the clocks to current max. And disabling the new PS5 raytracing hardware as superfluous.

This is exactly the same as the third BC mode shown in the GitHub leak. And like Pro, if this is Boost Mode it doesn't need to represent the total capacity of the GPU in the console. There could be plenty more power, and not just RT hardware, available to PS5 titles.

I don't think we will see that big of a gap with 3rd party titles. Now 1st party, say for instance, Spiderman 2. Yeah that will definitely show the difference.
Exclusives will show the most difference, sure. But I don't know where the idea that third parties never have big gaps comes from. (It's a common belief, I'm not singling you out.) Did third parties balk to make Call of Duty much lower resolution and lower framerate on Xbox One versus PS4 right at launch? Did they neglect to make Red Dead Redemption or Far Cry 5 or many others much better on One X than Pro? History shows us that third parties take advantage of the hardware as much as they can. Multiplatform titles are competing with other games on the individual platforms, at their respective power levels. Not just the lowest common denominator.

Oct 26, 2017
Just feel like all non-loading SSD utilizations haven't been articulated well at all.

"People will be able to move really fast through a ton of high quality assets!" why would devs ever want this to occur. Sonic Team was massively harmed by how many 480p assets they had to make for Sonic.

"They'll be able to use it as virtual memory" how is 2-4 GB/s anywhere close to the 13 GB/s that RAM can do.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Isn't Elite Series 2 already using USB C as well? Shape of the port really plays no role in what the port really can offer.

Isn't USB C required for USB 3.2 2x2? That would have implications for external SSDs on the Series X. I can't really think of another reason it would need to have USB C though.

Edit:

Sounds like there is nothing in the standard for USB 3.2 requiring USB C, it is just very unusual for a non-C cable to support USB 3.2 2x2.

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Keep in mind that even if it's a 2GB/s XSX SSD vs a 5GB/s PS5 SSD, the really important thing for games is the random read speeds, which may not be very different at all despite the gap in sequential reads. Or maybe Sony has worked on their SSD to make it somehow better at random reads than we would expect. Including a ReRAM cache would cause the PS5 to absolutely dominate in random reads, but I'm not betting on that.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Isn't Elite Series 2 already using USB C as well? Shape of the port really plays no role in what the port really can offer.

USB A & C are just connector types. The XSX controller takes a USB C connector as well, but the front-facing port on the console is USB A.

The connector type does not dictate the speeds or other properties of the port. Presumably the USB A ports on the XSX are USB 3.1 spec, which is the spec people associate with the USB C connector.

See this article for more background/clarification: https://www.newnex.com/technology-articles-USB3.1-vs-USBTypeC.php

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Again, part of Sony's patent is about making the SSD cheaper to make, so in this case proprietary isn't going to mean it's more expensive than using a third party.
Cheaper to make does not mean they end up with the cheaper solution. It could just as easily mean "cheaper than such a solution ould have otherwise cost". But said the solution could likely still end up being more expensive.

Point is, there is more to go on suggesting it will be more expensive. I don't see how sony makes an SSD solution that is "faster than anything seen on PCs" (albeit at the time of press) that ends up being cheaper than the of the shelf solution MS is using.
No, the GitHub leak is concrete info. It can be interpreted in multiple ways, but any description of the consoles has to include a reasonable interpretation of it. It can't just be dismissed the way many pastebins can.
The issue with that leak is that it is without context. That's like a company saying we built the fastest vehicle we ever made and no one knowing that all they make are tractors.

We can massage the information to suit whatever agenda we are pushing at the time, but it doesn't change that said information is without context. We don't even know if its complete or how old it is.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
USB A & C are just connector types. The XSX controller takes a USB C connector as well, but the front-facing port on the console is USB A.

The connector type does not dictate the speeds or other properties of the port. Presumably the USB A ports on the XSX are USB 3.1 spec, which is the spec people associate with the USB C connector.

See this article for more background/clarification: https://www.newnex.com/technology-articles-USB3.1-vs-USBTypeC.php
You are wrong, probably because you are basing your theory on dated information.

The connector type plays a major role in what type of USB 3 you really have. Yes, USB 3 is what you really should be saying and not A or C (the connector types). A USB 3 type A port instantly says its not compatible nor future proof with certain types of USB 3. Specifically USB 3.2 gen 1x2 and 2x2 respectively.

Oct 26, 2017
The faster your storage, the less RAM you need to use for "buffering", aka storing data that may or may not be needed but has to be held in RAM "just in case".

It's still 6x slower than RAM and would require people having parts of their SSD unused (which is going to be a tough ask as games next-gen will be 100+ GBs, have to be installed, and their SSDs will probably be 1 TB).

Jdogg4089

Jan 28, 2019
I think the PS5 event announcement will be at the end of February with the actual event being in the second half of March. And that's IF we even get an event announcement. Mighty big if. But it is possible Sony won't say anything else about the console until it's released and let leaker's leak that shiz.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
USB A has a maximum number of pins it can support due to it being held back by backward compatibility requirements. USB C can support up to 24 iirc which allows all kinds of things including higher power delivery.

USB A on one end absolutely means limiting how much data can be transferred as well as how much power. There's no point in putting a C connector on anything if the console isn't going to have a C port, IMO.

If I was forced to predict what I think the PS5 had on it I'd say at least 1 C port but A ports as well. Unsure of the mix but it would be wise to have more than one C port for use with external drives as well as to quickly charge the controller.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that the entire point of this thread?
No I get but the super fine details of something is 0.000X faster or whatnot is silly to argue or get bummed out about because the leap from this gen to next gen is going to be significantly more substantial then the leap from previous gen to now. That is cool.

Aug 26, 2019
The faster storage (which can emulate physical memory somewhat effectively) is already in addition to at least 16GB of RAM. If that's still not enough then perhaps it's more of an optimization issue on the software side. I mean, we have devs like Carmack saying 8GB is enough to accomplish anything a given dev wants.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
They could just include one or two cheap USB A to C adapters with the console for the first year (for whoever wants to re-use previous gen hardware like the PSVR). With the console consisting purely of USB-C ports.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Don't forget game sizes this gen were ginormous partially because of data duplication to ease loading times. Without the need for that the sizes should come down quite a bit.

Would be cool if a dev of some sort could comment though to give us a better idea how how much space would be saved though.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
How will they benefit.

I doubt developers are going to put a ton of assets in a spot that you can zoom past at a million miles an hour.

Sonic Team discovered pretty quickly that this does not go well.

Going off the GDC Spiderman Video, they will be able to manage more assists and have more "things" going on in the background then before. Ability to have the AI be more randomized will be a big thing especially in open world games since they will be able to just be able to put in more data than they can now.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I only understand roughly half of these words, soooo... anexanhume, any thoughts?
I'd encourage you to read gofreak 's take.

Or maybe Mark Cerny?

At the moment, Sony won't cop to exact details about the SSD—who makes it, whether it utilizes the new PCIe 4.0 standard—but Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs. That's not all. "The raw read speed is important," Cerny says, "but so are the details of the I/O [input-output] mechanisms and the software stack that we put on top of them. I got a PlayStation 4 Pro and then I put in a SSD that cost as much as the PlayStation 4 Pro—it might be one-third faster." As opposed to 19 times faster for the next-gen.

Aug 26, 2019
ItWasMeantToBe19
RE: Virtual Memory — here's some great posts from an indie dev on that shed light on its actual capabilities.

tl:dr — too slow to store graphics-related data structures (i.e vertex arrays), so don't expect huge improvements in texture loading/object pop-in etc.

It's orders of magnitudes slower than GPU cache, which is what matters for performance. No persistent storage solution is fast enough for what they are talking about. This is very much some "power of the cloud" nonsense.
Let's put things in perspective, these SSD solutions being talked about are crowing about an optimal read speed of 50 GB/s, which is a pretty unrealistically optimistic prediction. GPU cache access speeds can reach 2 TB/s, that speed is orders of magnitude faster. Even when not accessing GPU cache, you're still talking about hundreds of GB/s from VRAM. Persistent storage is much, much too slow for these kinds of processes. Things like VAOs for LOD systems need to reside in the absolute fastest bits of memory, as they are frequently accessed.
I'm talking about the uses of virtual memory they theorize in the video are nonsense. Of course I'm not saying virtual memory is nonsense, I've written my own paging system from scratch in the past.

Virtual memory is not good for parts of graphics systems, your graphics technologies need the absolute fastest memory access of any part of your computer.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
EDIT.
LOL! I just saw the thumbnail for the video. That's funny :)
/EDIT

Hmm, I was curious if HopHopGamer had ever said anything else after his "breaking news" about the PS5 remastering engine. It looks like last week he put out a video where he made some additional claims about PS5 features

Starts at 11:50

For those who don't want to bother watching:

- He claims that Shareplay will evolve to the point where if a streamer is playing a game they could pass the game off to someone in their chat (even if they're not on their friends list) to play
- For accessibility features there will be a "co-pilot" feature where the AI controls certain parts of the controller for those not able to fully utilize all the buttons on the DS5.

That last one sounds nifty, although I have no clue how such a thing would reliably work. He also seems to think the PlayStation Experience will replace E3 for them, but he does seem to phrase that more as an opinion rather than something he's leaking.

Nothing too crazy, but figured I'd mention them in case we ever get leaks mentioning those features.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Using SSD storage as ram is one of the dumbest things I've seen recently.

No that won't work, be happy load times will be a second or 2 at most.
You're suspending the gamestate that is in RAM to the SSD so you can play another game. Then come back exactly where you were before. A savestate for modern games.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
It goes beyond that, I/O is important for data streaming. If the SeX is only 2-3GB/s and the PS5 is 7-10GB/s then depending on how third parties use the SSDs we may see SeX games have lower quality assets to make up for the slower I/O.

Its frankly pretty bad if the I/O gap is that big.
This should be a good bookmark post for when Digital Foundry comparisons start rolling in.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
iPad Pro also uses C-C and it's annoying as hell.
Oculus Quest is USB-C to C
iPad Pro is C to C
MacBook Pro is C to C
iPhone 11 Pro is Lightning to C (and it's annoying- should be C to C)
Switch has USB-C (which I typically charge with my MacBook Pro charger when traveling)
Switch Pro Controller is USB-C

The less USB-A (and Lighting) is involved with things the better. We need to ditch A ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.