• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
When will Quantum Computing be a thing for game consoles.
Decades, if ever? All of the current quantum processors still need crazy cryogenic cooling, and the entangled nature of qbits means that, yeah, you can do orders of magnitude more computation on them... But you're pretty limited by what kind of computation. Its not really useful for games, at least as we're able to utilize them right now.

pootybutt

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2020
Outside of being right about a lot of stuff, Klee claimed to have the spec sheets. Mods verified that, judging by his past (former gaming journalist), he absolutely could've acquired them. They deemed that it wasn't unreasonable.

...that is not very close e to a compelling case tbh.

And he doubled down on the stuff he'd said and even suggested the SX has slightly above 12 tflops.

Telling people here what they want to hear does not in and of itself make his claims unquestionable. Nor does simply making a claim that he has spec sheets or that those spec sheets are up to date with release plans, etc.

The SX being a VRS-supporting, double digit, 12 tflops RDNA-based beast is right in line with everything he's been saying from the start. And Klee was the first to say we'll have a PS5 reveal in february... We'll see if everything comes to pass, but it isn't unreasonable to believe the man.

Most people were expecting a February PS Meeting reveal and a 12 TF GPU for XSX and it having VRS and RT hardware for god knows how long now. I don't give him credit for things others have already figured out. I can't honestly figure out how sensible people here would look at legitimate AMD internal testing with the hard data right in front of them and dismiss that while also taking faceless insiders word as gospel. It just doesn't make rational sense. Believing something because ya want it to be true should not be confused with compelling evidence though. We should remain skeptical of all insiders. I think Colbert has the right approach. To your last point there, I think it is absolutely unreasonable to take his word while simultaneously trying to dismiss actual test data. The two are not even close to comparable in terms of legitimacy and reliability. Now taking what he says seriously and trying to figure out what set of scenarios could have transpired such that his info and other info can co-exist in some rational timeline of plans changing or whatnot, that would surely be reasonable. But we can't just hand waive the AMD stuff away.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Decades, if ever? All of the current quantum processors still need crazy cryogenic cooling, and the entangled nature of qbits means that, yeah, you can do orders of magnitude more computation on them... But you're pretty limited by what kind of computation. Its not really useful for games, at least as we're able to utilize them right now.

Every bullet is both a hit and a miss until it's rendered onscreen.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
That would be the biggest thing for any company to win or take the lead.

If Xbox Series X comes out November and Sony somehow manages to release PS5 in Oct - That'll hurt Xbox a lot.

Plus many gamers who plan on buying both regardless - will get Multi Plat games on PS5 then. Early adopters are hungry for games during the first few months.
I would be all over the consoles if they came out in september. Wouldn't get stuck in the freezing cold either :P

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Well sorry about that. In fact i did think he had insider knowledge because of all his tweets that i see here daily... :/

This is the reason people shouldn't just be posting random tweets without context...it's misleading. Personally I don't mind all the speculative tweets but at least add some "oh this is Tidux, he thought the PS4 Pro was going to be 7 TFs" or whatever so people have an appropriate level of understanding.

SgtCaffran

Nov 16, 2019
But we can't just hand waive the AMD stuff away.
Man this reads like a broken record on repeat. Nobody is simply dismissing the github leak. The big problem is that it doesn't prove anything besides the existence of APU chips with references to PS4 back compatibility. There is no context, no story. We don't know if it gives us the full picture. We don't know what it gives us a picture of. We simply don't know how relevant it is and what it proves.

So stop the argument about hand waiving stuff, nobody is doing that.

On the other hand, we have several insiders which have leaked actual info before, stating both consoles will be very very similar. That's a good thing! From these insiders there are a few shared points I have picked up on:
- the XsX has the edge in CPU
- the RAM appears to be roughly the same
- the PS5 has the edge in GPU
- the PS5 SSD solution is a game changer and is quite a bit faster than XsX

However, the main takeaway should be that both will be very very similar and that's only good news for the next generation of games!

Jun 23, 2019
Man this reads like a broken record on repeat. Nobody is simply dismissing the github leak. The big problem is that it doesn't prove anything besides the existence of APU chips with references to PS4 back compatibility. There is no context, no story. We don't know if it gives us the full picture. We don't know what it gives us a picture of. We simply don't know how relevant it is and what it proves.

On the other hand, we have several insiders which have leaked actual info before, stating both consoles will be very very similar. That's a good thing! From these insiders there are a few shared points I have picked up on:

However, the main takeaway should be that both will be very very similar and that's only good news for the next generation of games!

Excellent post.

Oct 27, 2017
Both consoles being high powered and trading blows in perf is literally the second best scenario for the industry and consumers.

The only scenario that is better is if Lockhart never becomes a thing and developers can move on from cross-gen as quickly as possible.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe never. Maybe it's already here. But don't look for it, otherwise it might never happen.
giphy.gif

Oct 31, 2017

Great post.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Isnt 2080ti close to 14TF?
17-18tf. NVIDIA always undersell their Tfs. The card runs @~1950mhz not at base clocks.

PS also needs an event to properly introduce Hulst, I don't think he ever spoken at a presser since he became WWS head.
Hulst needs to be doing the conferences, not Ryan. I remember his GG vidocs about KZ and listening to him was on a level close to Cerny. Dude's got charisma.

pootybutt

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2020

Before I started posting here I definitely saw people pointing to Matt's off the cuff comments and suggesting the info was not reliable and should be ignored. And that gives us a much more reliable snapshot than anonymous 2nd hand sources on the internet, who may or may not even be in the loop, do. My point is the github info is vastly more reliable than just trusting Klee's 2nd hand info. I'm not saying dismiss what he said btw! Instead, we should strive to imagine how all the presented info can be legit and how it could fit into the same overall picture.

I think it is most reasonable to expect a 9.2 TF PS5 perhaps with additional RT hardware that makes it effectively stronger when RT is being utilized and thus is right on par with XSX. That's where my head is at atm at least.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019

Need to say that I thought something like this for one console reveal (Xbox or PS5) when Fortnite became canon in SW. One thing that made me think this was this tweet by Tim.

Can you imagine if something like this happens?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Before I started posting here I definitely saw people pointing to Matt's off the cuff comments and suggesting the info was not reliable and should be ignored. And that gives us a much more reliable snapshot than anonymous 2nd hand sources on the internet, who may or may not even be in the loop, do. My point is the github info is vastly more reliable than just trusting Klee's 2nd hand info. I'm not saying dismiss what he said btw! Instead, we should strive to imagine how all the presented info can be legit and how it could fit into the same overall picture.

I think it is most reasonable to expect a 9.2 TF PS5 perhaps with additional RT hardware that makes it effectively stronger when RT is being utilized and thus is right on par with XSX. That's where my head is at atm at least.
Just to be accurate, the Github leak didn't show that the PS5 doesn't have RT hardware, it just didn't have any RT benchmarks which makes a lot of sense considering most of the tests were BC tests.

Aug 26, 2019
Who else thinks the PS5 reveal should be a cold open?

No intro, no orchestra, just a black screen...

until...

"Sony Interactive Entertainment presents..."
"RUNNING REAL-TIME ON A PLAYSTATION 5"

Horizon 2 trailer into gameplay (like the E3 2015 reveal)

SilentFlyer

Oct 26, 2017

until...

That's is what I am hoping for, but would never happen.
brokendreams.gif

Dec 8, 2018
I'm not saying dismiss what he said btw! Instead, we should strive to imagine how all the presented info can be legit and how it could fit into the same overall picture

You are severely contradicting yourself you know that right?

He did not say it's under 10TF.

He did not say there are a big powergap between them.

Neither did Jason.

Neither did Matt.

Yet you go straight to the GitHub leak rumor dismissing everything these guys have said basically without knowing what the thing that was tested was and what for and slapping a third party ray tracing method on top.

If you don't want to believe what insiders say that is fair but don't expect the rest to agree with you about the GitHub leak and as if that have any athourity

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

until...

I don't expect more than a tiny in engine teaser of it. It won't be a launch title and they will focus on that.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel

until...

* Journalists walk across the screen - lights go out - everyone runs to their seats. *
* It's quiet, whispers can be heard across the hall *
"Sony Interactive Entertainment proudly presents..."

- Knack 3 -

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
* Journalists walk across the screen - lights go out - everyone runs to their seats. *
* It's quiet, whispers can be heard across the hall *
"Sony Interactive Entertainment proudly presents..."

- Knack 3 -
Sony doesn't want to come off too strong, gotta let MS show Blinx 3 before you hammer it into the ground with Knack 3.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Would be funny if they throw some gift boxes, and inside there's the PS5 with the date for PS Meeting lol

I was trying to work out what he meant, I thought they would do a special event like a Sony game merging with it or something. If it was just something in a crate that would be kind of hilarious if nobody noticed it.

Dec 10, 2019

Not at all. Who needs 2 different consoles, if they're both very similar?
I rather have very different consoles.

Oct 27, 2017

until...

If the PS5 is indeed a very powerful machine, anything they show will be fine by me in the end (even if it's just a controller like in 2013, hehe). If it's underpowered, they should definitely bring some killer first party footage immediately. Horizon would be perfect.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
This is going to be a fun year. Peering over the horizon, for the things that are yet to come. :)

sJWZgrn.jpg

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
This is going to be a fun year. Peering over the horizon, for the things that are yet to come. :)

sJWZgrn.jpg

This next-gen I am really looking forward to what Devs do on water effects and how it interacts with the player character. I know it is silly to say but that is one of the things I am looking forward to the most.
Something about water and how it works in a game over the generations always impresses me.

Status
Not open for further replies.