• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
How big is Ninja Theory? There's their current MP title, Hellblade 2 and now another game?!

Oct 25, 2017
When Kojima made the Fox Engine, they used their office as model / showcase.

How many insiders said Lockhart was still alive ? It is officially not a thing at the moment. We can extrapolate that it makes sense with the new "non exclusives" policy, but this is still not a thing.

Yeah...

Real Life:
ELorna1WkAA7RGc

Project Mara:
3RtI2JR.jpg

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
When Kojima made the Fox Engine, they used their office as model / showcase.

How many insiders said Lockhart was still alive ? It is officially not a thing at the moment. We can extrapolate that it makes sense with the new "non exclusives" policy, but this is still not a thing.
You're right actually. Even Tom Warren said they weren't completely sure, and that they might change plans yet again (as did Schreier).

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
How many people have told us both will be over 10TF and really close? I lost count...

Noone is more blind that those who refuse to see though

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This. I thought we've already established that [email protected] wouldn't make sense outside of the test environment that they've used during the GitHub leak...
Yields are only half the equation. The amount of cooling that would be needed for that clock speed is the other half.
The problem is the same its always been - If Oberon exists, its really hard to imagine its anything other than the PS5 APU. APU's are too expensive to create to make a throwaway.

And if Oberon does exists, its either [email protected], or its sub 10tflops.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. I thought we've already established that [email protected] wouldn't make sense outside of the test environment that they've used during the GitHub leak...
Yields are only half the equation. The amount of cooling that would be needed for that clock speed is the other half.

Nothing is impossible. Again, what makes more sense spending tens of millions creating, designing, testing and stepping a chip over years just to throw it completely away 18 months before launch and hope you can start over? Or streamlining the chip as much as possible and focusing on maximizing clocks and cooling?

The only valid reason I have heard that the GitHub data is not PS5's chip is that they have somehow created a chip that wasn't in testing through the first 6 months of 2019 and planned to launch it later this year. That or they are using two of them. Per Albert, there is no way the chip wasn't already far along and in testing early this year.

What is more likely: 1) Sony has created a chip that no one has heard of and was not in testing by AMD at all in 2019 and they are willing to throw away tens of millions of R&Dor 2) the chip is real and Sony is focusing on maximizing the CUs and clocks it can get out of the chip.

Out of the two if you want to launch in 2020, you go with what you have.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Yes, USB-C to USB-C can do 15W with 5v 3a in the base spec, and then anything up to 100w if they implement USB-PD.
But that power has to come from somewhere so they'd have to beef up the power supply, I have no idea, but I assume they throw in power supplies that don't have crazy overhead allowances?

What would, along with the better connector, increase cost. Just so someone can have a little bit of convenience if they happen to use peripherals.

I don't think the cost benefit is there. Even if it cost $1 more, that's $100m saved over the life time.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Nothing is impossible. Again, what makes more sense spending tens of millions creating, designing, testing and stepping a chip over years just to throw it completely away 18 months before launch and hope you can start over? Or streamlining the chip as much as possible and focusing on maximizing clocks and cooling?

The only valid reason I have heard that the GitHub data is not PS5's chip is that they have somehow created a chip that wasn't in testing through the first 6 months of 2019 and planned to launch it later this year. That or they are using two of them. Per Albert, there is no way the chip wasn't already far along and in testing early this year.

What is more likely: 1) Sony has created a chip that no one has heard of and was not in testing by AMD at all in 2019 and they are willing to throw away tens of millions of R&Dor 2) the chip is real and Sony is focusing on maximizing the CUs and clocks it can get out of the chip.

I'm glad we're talking about github again.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Based on what? That'd be a pretty silly design as it's back to front and working against the laws of heat!

Just a point of clarification (I know I'm being pedantic); there is no universal law of heat that say heat goes up. Hot gasses in atmosphere rise due to the buoyancy effects of their lower density. In an enclosed system, with a fan doing mechanical work on a gas to impose a net forward flow of the bulk fluid, mean any heat generated in the system will move in the direction of flow of the fluid.

Intuitively, however, you wouldn't want the flow moving top-down though the XSX because some of the hot exhaust air can be pulled into the intake and recirculated; thus reducing the efficiency of your cooling scheme. A bottom-up flow scheme almost completely eliminates that problem.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
What's really strange is that MS was supposedly "behind" but here they are, with an XSX in a fucking box. No Arden went right through from start to finish - no stepping has been detected.... Meanwhile Sony has been at it for years Oberon at an E stepping - MS 1st try and already at final design (no doubt still tweaking under the hood) ? Something is off, IMO.

pootybutt

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2020
The problem is the same its always been - If Oberon exists, its really hard to imagine its anything other than the PS5 APU. APU's are too expensive to create to make a throwaway.

And if Oberon does exists, its either [email protected], or its sub 10tflops.

What about 9.2 TF not including RT hardware? Would maybe make the info about them being close in power (or at least game performance) make more sense, no? And XSX is 12 TF but that includes RT computations.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
What's really strange is that MS was supposedly "behind" but here they are, with an XSX in a fucking box. No Arden went right through from start to finish - no stepping has been detected.... Meanwhile Sony has been at it for years Oberon at an E stepping - MS 1st try and already at final design (no doubt still tweaking under the hood) ? Something is off, IMO.
I do agree something is off.
I also find it weird how tight Sony's ship is, pretty much nothing is leaking.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Maybe all that wasn't true ??

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I mention Klee as it's who the only main insider on here seems to post .

matt has never mentioned the difference between the two consoles and has clarified this multiple times just that both will be very good.

jason again another one people have said he has stated somewhere about their relative power difference but no one has shown receipts for this.

they all can't be correct and it annoys me as an outsider who's been reading these threads for what feels like years now people's quote being twisted into facts (ala Matt and Jason)

I think both consoles will be pretty similiar with differences on vrs, RT etc being the main differences but can we stop quoting facts that are not facts about insiders
If you've been reading these threads, then I have to seriously question your reading comprehension, man. Matt has on several occasions said the differences wouldn't be significant (which is good, it's the best damn outcome). As pushback on a comment some user made, Matt said he wouldn't consider a 15 % or less to be significant.

After the 12 tflops rumors about the XS started floating around, and with MS basically having almost confirmed as much, Schreier, who in 2018 said the consoles would come out in 2020, and also was the first to suggest both consoles would be aiming to beat Stadias tflops numbers, had this to say:

Told y'all both Sony and MS were aiming to beat Stadia's number. Anyway, I'm no engineer, but my understanding from talking to people who are is that the CPU speed and the streaming capabilities of the high-end SSDs on both PS5 and XB2 will make wayyy more of a difference than teraflops, which seem more like console war bait than an actual measure of what video games will look like on these things. Games already look ridiculous enough; my hope (one that I imagine is shared with most reasonable gamers) is that the next generation of consoles is more focused on accessibility, 60+fps, and function rather than graphical fidelity.

I'm not twisting anyone's words. I wasn't even specific in my post, so what "truth" was I twisting? I made a truthful comment, several of these people have been right about a lot of stuff YEARS in advance, so I'll personally continue to believe them.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe all that wasn't true ??
Which part? Assuming Arden, well... Arden wasn't ready for testing last June, that much is clear from Github. We also know that Arden came almost 2 years after Ariel. So from June to the Game Awards reveal, and then shortly thereafter Phil tells us he has one at home. That doesn't leave a lot of time for test & revision.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for proving my point so fast ;)

I am not refusing anything. Ever since the github/XSX specs were given out most of this thread has been trying to figure out how the PS5 can have more power while the Xbox is 12 TF. Everything from GCN to "secret GPU's" to believing banned sources just because they said like 2 years ago PS5 has the edge.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Which part? Assuming Arden, well... Arden wasn't ready for testing last June, that much is clear from Github. We also know that Arden came almost 2 years after Ariel. So from June to the reveal, and then Phil tells us he has one at home. That doesn't leave a lot of time for test & revision.

Maybe the XSX being behind was blatantly false? There was really no evidence to support that and they have been on the forefront of console news.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Although, what Osiris described certainly appears to be The Order sequel, but the post itself didn't mention anything about platforms. These sites are twisting Osiris post to get clicks, nothing more.
Osiris may well be right but that article said it was heading to Xbox as well and that was what really stood out for me and proved that part is atleast fake unless something major is about to happen and Sony going third party.

I believe that the multiplat thing came from someone asking "is this on XSX or PS5?" and the answer being "yes". That could be interpreted to mean it's multiplatform, or it could be interpreted to mean it wasn't running on PC or Switch etc.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017

If this is the chip, then where is the raytracing part?
Tens of millions might sound like a lot now but Sony is probably aiming for another 100 million units seller so having shitty yields, thus adding a ton of money to the chip side of things, plus more expensive cooling and maybe even higher failure rates due to higher stress on the components which might add warranty costs could end up more expensive or at least close enough in the long run to warrant rethinking their strategy again.
Not saying that's the case, but who knows.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the XSX being behind was blatantly false? There was really no evidence to support that and they have been on the forefront of console news.
Thats what I am saying - it DID have a later birth date, hence why they were behind. Ariel was on the scene much earlier. We also have never found any evidence of stepping. So they started much later, and seemingly finished first and with seemingly significant less effort. We don't know the whole story.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I am not refusing anything. Ever since the github/XSX specs were given out most of this thread has been trying to figure out how the PS5 can have more power while the Xbox is 12 TF. Everything from GCN to "secret GPU's" to believing banned sources just because they said like 2 years ago PS5 has the edge.

This is disingenuous. Stop.

Nov 20, 2019
Yep, the baked lighting allows that. But we have big loading times between time of day because of this baked lighting.
Personally, I want day/night cycle and weather PLUS NY under snow (and not just snow flakes, something like the Division).

Like Ryse, The Order is still a looker in 2020. A very linear and tight settings game can allow them to make a really stunning game.
I agree, the order still looks ps5 level in some areas imo.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Does it potentially increase the charge speed vs micro?
Standard USB-A <-> micro-USB is limited to 15W of power supply when no data is being sent over the cable (half that otherwise). USB-A <-> micro-USB with Power Delivery extension can support up to 100W but this is a very obscure thing to find in actual real world devices as most micro-USB cables out there aren't capable of handling that current. Which means that MS will have to supply the cable for proper charging and warn buyers that other cables likely won't work or will take a lot more time to charge the controller. With how things are right now, PD specs are being almost exclusively implemented over USB-C <-> USB-C connections since most modern USB-C cables are made with PD in mind so there's considerably less hidden compatibility issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.