• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2018
Although, what Osiris described certainly appears to be The Order sequel, but the post itself didn't mention anything about platforms. These sites are twisting Osiris post to get clicks, nothing more.

Osiris may well be right but that article said it was heading to Xbox as well and that was what really stood out for me and proved that part is atleast fake unless something major is about to happen and Sony going third party.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder the significance of the three dots at the beginning of the trailer is. In the Mara video all three of them get filled in, in the Hellblade trailer only two of the dots fill in. Any thoughts?

I was thinking about that too but I have no effing idea what it actually means.

I believe it's in reference to their 3 current projects: Insight Project, Hellblade 2 and Project: Mara.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure it is. You can see some aliasing on the panel on the left side of the wall.

Also if P.T. showed us anything, when you pour a lot of effort and horsepower into a hallway, you can make it look PUH-retty damn good!

Uh, I'm pretty sure that segment is just footage of their offices. You can see Tameem sitting on those same stairs at 4:42 in the video.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I remember jstevenson posted in the 1st party thread that the baked lighting is what allows the game to look so good. And with it being one of the best looking games of the gen, I think they made the right call. But a day/night cycle and weather system would be really cool for the sequel.
Yep, the baked lighting allows that. But we have big loading times between time of day because of this baked lighting.
Personally, I want day/night cycle and weather PLUS NY under snow (and not just snow flakes, something like the Division).
I'll give Osiris this, his description of the game he saw was an entertaining read. I like how he described how light bled through the flashlight on the characters shoulder, even when he covered it with his hand. It's the little things 🤙
Like Ryse, The Order is still a looker in 2020. A very linear and tight settings game can allow them to make a really stunning game.

Aug 26, 2019
Yep, the baked lighting allows that. But we have big loading times between time of day because of this baked lighting.
Personally, I want day/night cycle and weather PLUS NY under snow (and not just snow flakes, something like the Division).
Hell yes. Borrow some of that deformable snow tech from SSM or GG (and I think ND has implemented in in TLOU2 as well).

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
I predicted so based on the information is available in public. Doesn't mean it will be the case.

Indeed, we are aligned on that.

There are peoples that want PS5 to be below 10tf.

Edit: also there are peoples that want Xbox Series x to be less powerful, but it would be best for all parties if both consoles are close and above 12tf

Surely both will deliver great content, and a significant leap over current gen.
Also, not expecting a big difference in power between the 2.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
People must be confused with the actual connector type versus 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, etc. Plenty of cables are A to C, A to whatever really.

The USB standard is the best/worst thing to happen to tech. Early crappy USB cables flooding the market, USB mini/micro/A/C connectors, slow to adopt standards, power rating, speed, etc, most specs never documented. USB-C connectors made most everyone think that it's faster and better, when some C connectors could actually be using USB 2.x. It's a nightmare. My friends new off-brand powerbrick using USB-C>USB-C connectors is slower with less power than my 3 year Samsung powerbrick using USB-A to USB-C.

If the USB 4 standard forced everyone to put actual specs on the cable or boxes, it may save us. Probably won't.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's a real life office
Then whats going on with the pixel crawl on that panel right here?
And the ghost in the reflection?
sjJfSBJ.png

I think ya'll are underestimating the power of photogrammetry, ray tracing, and DEM FLOPZZZ

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I predicted so based on the information is available in public. Doesn't mean it will be the case.
I'm curious though, why do you completely dismiss insider information? Even when the information is right and accurate, on multiple occasions. Especially when they're right, and trusted.

Is it because it's more fun/challenging and feels less like cheating that way, or do you want/need your outcome to be right, so you ignore everything else?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Then whats going on with the pixel crawl on that panel right here?
And the ghost in the reflection?
sjJfSBJ.png

I think ya'll are underestimating the power of photogrammetry, ray tracing, and DEM FLOPZZZ
It is a closed environment so I can't see why it can't be in engine. It is been one year that we are full on demo of Ray Tracing and lots of them are above that.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
To add a little irony to this argument, the screen right before that scene says: "I can't tell what's real anymore"

So the graphics engineers at Ninja Theory are probably reading this and toasting, "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!"

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
I'm curious though, why do you completely dismiss insider information? Even when the information is right and accurate, on multiple occasions. Especially when they're right, and trusted.

Is it because it's more fun/challenging and feels less like cheating that way, or do you want/need your outcome to be right, so you ignore everything else?
Who's right and trusted ? Klee isn't verified and not been anything major came out proving one way or another. He's predicted a February meeting (as has everyone) so if that doesn't turn out as true it'll go along way .

the only real insiders on the MS side just now are ones putting there head about the water and claiming 12TF we have heard nothing about the ps one way or the other outwith the GITHUB stuff.

the rest has been pretty vague

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The USB standard is the best/worst thing to happen to tech. Early crappy USB cables flooding the market, USB mini/micro/A/C connectors, slow to adopt standards, power rating, speed, etc, most specs never documented. USB-C connectors made most everyone think that it's faster and better, when some C connectors could actually be using USB 2.x. It's a nightmare. My friends new off-brand powerbrick using USB-C>USB-C connectors is slower with less power than my 3 year Samsung powerbrick using USB-A to USB-C.

If the USB 4 standard forced everyone to put actual specs on the cable or boxes, it may save us. Probably won't.
Agreed, it's a mess. I can understand the confusion. My iPhone is A to Lightning so I wouldn't be surprised if the ports on the box are A while the other end is C.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017

Well, one reason could be to try avoid the effects of confirmation bias to some degree. Ultimately, a lot of the insider talk is a mix of information passed along and speculation, so you are choosing to trust not only the information, but the insider's interpretation of that information. More often than not, the insiders you are going to choose to believe are going to be the ones confirming an existing belief or desire. It's very difficult to avoid doing this. Ignoring everything not rooted in confirmable fact avoids the issue to some degree.

That having been said, I think including this insider info is going to give you a more complete picture. You just have to be disciplined in what information you choose to believe.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I tried to explain it earlier: Inside information comes without context the info was given in and very often in such vague ways it could mean anything. You cannot scrutinize it yourself. This has nothing to do with the individual, it is the information that I am skeptical about.

Hits and Misses: Nothing is confirmed yet. But I also see them being wrong on something they doubled down on multiple times (Lockhart). Apologies that I stay skeptical.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Indeed, we are aligned on that.

Surely both will deliver great content, and a significant leap over current gen.
Also, not expecting a big difference in power between the 2.

My humble opinion?

The Ps5 is closer to 11 than 10.

Just my uneducated guess based on nothing more than what I think and not current data/leaks whatsoever.

Dec 8, 2018
Who's right and trusted ? Klee isn't verified and not been anything major came out proving one way or another. He's predicted a February meeting (as has everyone) so if that doesn't turn out as true it'll go along way .

the only real insiders on the MS side just now are ones putting there head about the water and claiming 12TF we have heard nothing about the ps one way or the other outwith the GITHUB stuff.

No they have not and all have basically said that there is not a 9 to 12TF difference and they are extremely close or PS5 is/was even stronger.

Also you seem to have missed the fact Klee said he was not needed anymore and we would get an update very soon (the day before VGA) and when someone posted a picture of Scarlett Johansson he replied bingo.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish there would be tech demos to download on the PC which are programmed with raytracing, the current CPUs and SSDs in mind, just that we can have a sneak peak into next gen.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017

Either you are being obtuse or you just haven't been paying attention. Interesting that you mention Klee, though, considering I didn't... And you immediately went out of your way to try and dismiss him. 😊

I'm referring to Jason, to Matt, to Reiner and yes, absolutely, to Klee. And no, he hasn't been "vague" at all. He's been right about basically everything he's said, except for Lockhart (he wasn't the only one who thought it was dead, for that matter).

If you believe the SX to be a 12 tflops console, then you ought to believe Klee.

*sighs*

I didn't want to have to take that detour, wasn't my intention.
I was genuienly curious as to why someone would ignore so many people that are either trusted and/or have been right about stuff. I know Colbert doesn't like/trust Klee, but it wasn't about him.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Either you are being obtuse or you just haven't been paying attention. Interesting that you mention Klee, though, considering I didn't... And you immediately went out of your way to try and dismiss him. 😊

I'm referring to Jason, to Matt, to Reiner and yes, absolutely, to Klee. And no, he hasn't been "vague" at all. He's been right about basically everything he's said, except for Lockhart (he wasn't the only one who thought it was dead, for that matter).

If you believe the SX to be a 12 tflops console, then you ought to believe Klee.

*sighs*

I didn't want to have to take that detour, wasn't my intention.
I was genuienly curious as to why someone would ignore so many people that are either trusted and/or have been right about stuff. I know Colbert doesn't like/trust Klee, but it wasn't about him.
I mention Klee as it's who the only main insider on here seems to post .

matt has never mentioned the difference between the two consoles and has clarified this multiple times just that both will be very good.

jason again another one people have said he has stated somewhere about their relative power difference but no one has shown receipts for this.

they all can't be correct and it annoys me as an outsider who's been reading these threads for what feels like years now people's quote being twisted into facts (ala Matt and Jason)

I think both consoles will be pretty similiar with differences on vrs, RT etc being the main differences but can we stop quoting facts that are not facts about insiders

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
40 at 2 ghz would need insane yields . Much more expensive than going wider and slower . So to me that defeats the purpose

It's only that expensive if yields are terrible and it doesn't offset against some of the other possible benefits you get like having the chip be a bit cheaper (relatively).

Of course you will have to make up for the heat somehow.

Unless of course its cheaper to throw away a taped out chip and restart rather than focus on maximizing clocks and yields.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, it's a mess. I can understand the confusion. My iPhone is A to Lightning so I wouldn't be surprised if the ports on the box are A while the other end is C.
You know what would be ideal? The slot everyone thinks it's for devkit debugging? Retail version should have 2 USB-C ports there. That makes 3 USB-A for most things and backward compatibility, and 2 USB-C. It's unlikely that we'll get USB 4 or Thunderbolt for data, but the C connector may allow them to use USB Power Delivery (PD) to push really fast power charging speeds.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Are we expecting any cpu cores to be disabled/reserved for OS? Is the increase in performance enough to reserve less than a full core for background OS?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I'd have to check but I think DBB has been on the 10.24 train. 40 at 2.

IMO they are going to be between 36@2 and [email protected].

I'm expecting 40 at 2
40 at 2 ghz would need insane yields . Much more expensive than going wider and slower . So to me that defeats the purpose
This. I thought we've already established that [email protected] wouldn't make sense outside of the test environment that they've used during the GitHub leak...
Yields are only half the equation. The amount of cooling that would be needed for that clock speed is the other half.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I tried to explain it earlier: Inside information comes without context the info was given in and very often in such vague ways it could mean anything. You cannot scrutinize it yourself. This has nothing to do with the individual, it is the information that I am skeptical about.

Hits and Misses: Nothing is confirmed yet. But I see they were wrong on something they doubled down on (Lockhart).
Fair enough, but Lockhart seemed to have backfired on a lot of people. Even Schreier said as much.

To be clear, a lot of Microsoft-focused reporters including Brad Sams, Digital Foundry, and Tom Warren reported over the summer that Lockhart was dead. Short of some widespread effort to fool those press, it's clear that Microsoft changed plans. And anyone who's been following gaming for the past decade knows that Microsoft changes plans just about as often as I change my daughter's diapers. So it's not really fair to say that anyone was "wrong" about Lockhart one way or another. All that matters right now is that it's still in the works.

But as you're clearly referring to Klee, what about before then? The things he got absolutely right? RDNA-based consoles + over 10 tflops (almost confirmed, judging by what MS has indicated about the SX), VRS, HW ray-tracing (not the first to say this). You still dismissed not only him, but by extension, several people saying the same things. But nevermind, we'll know soon enough. 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.