• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
RT is one piece of graphical fidelity. Even if the RT performance was terrible, you still have a powerful GPU on a proven architecture with a wildly enhanced CPU and IO, so games will still see massive jumps.
...but be left behind quickly by NVIDIA PCs featuring ray tracing when it comes to visual quality. We already know how good something like Control looks on a current PC. Consoles being left behind day one seems pretty lousy to me.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Guys was usb type c confirmed for the new pad ?
If so what's the big deal if the console doesn't have female type C ? It's such a minor thing for these type of reactions I m seeing

The only thing I wonder about - and not sure if it's already been touched on - is if the USB-A port can deliver the same power to a USB-C receiver, and if that would impact charging times? I don't know anything about this stuff though, but it's the one question that springs to mind. For data-rate I know it doesn't really matter depending on the spec of the USB-A port, which I think Windows Central or the like already 'confirmed' is of the higher rate variety.

edit - oh, bsigg may have answered my question. If power delivery is unaffected also then I don't think it really makes any difference.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Do you know what's the difference for a female type c vs female type A
Quite a lot.

USB-C:
j9JWD.jpg

USB-A:
USB.jpg

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
So what do you think is the reason for Cyberpunk? It doesn't look like a physics heavy game. Reducing NPC's on screen shouldn't be too difficult.
Who knows, maybe it's an object intense game, like TES and Fallout, environment destruction, etc. It's difficult to handle many objects in current-gen, especially in open-world games. This is one of the reasons Bethesda still has loading screens for dungeons in their games. Anyway, graphics it's very probably not the case here.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Go ahead and tell us how the original XB1 held back Gears 5, one of the games Digital Foundry highlighted as one of the best graphical games of 2019.

Third parties do not focus on optimization the same way first parties do. Only Xbox exclusives are going to be affected by this policy, and even then it will only be for a year or two. The hyperbole around this is laughable.

Comparing gears 5 and Cyberpunk? I love gears but it was just an empty filler semi open world. Cyberpunk has a sprawling mega city with loads of npcs and is graphically intens. I will bet that Cyberpunk puts the CPU and GPU under much more load than Gears 5 does.

L33

Dec 20, 2019
While I did use the 2nd HDMI when I wanted to watch cable tv, I get why they removed it.

Also all Xbox Ones had 3 USB ports.
Personally the lack of HDMI in isn't big deal, but I would have liked a second HDMI out for audio only so I could go direct to TV without passing through receiver

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
...but be left behind quickly by NVIDIA PCs featuring ray tracing when it comes to visual quality. We already know how good something like Control looks on a current PC. Consoles being left behind day one seems pretty lousy to me.
Think about where consoles stood on day one of 8th gen. PlayStation 4's GPU was already middling and Xbox One's GPU was low-end spec before they even finalized the design.
At least at the start of the 9th generation, both Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 will have GPUs that aren't low-end spec on day one. PC hardware is always a moving target, so I'm not too worried about that. I feel much better about consoles this gen than I did last gen.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
USB-A + USB-C on the console solve most of compatibility issues with everything. I also don't really see why we'd need two USB-A ports on the back.
Form a console standpoint you have no compatibility issues at all because all certified accessories and peripherals are USB Type-A. Series X is set to support all that stuff. Some people already own that stuff and I think MS don't want to force them to renew it just because the connector type. I see USB-C only useful if you actually plan to support USB 3.2 Gen 2 with 10Gbps. But that is just me.

I know you talk about stuff you may already own with a USB-C type connector. Well that is solved easily. 9 bucks at Amazon for 2 adapters.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Think about where consoles stood on day one of 8th gen. PlayStation 4's GPU was already middling by Xbox One's GPU was low-end spec before they even finalized the design.
At least at the start of the 9th generation, both Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 will have GPUs that aren't low-end spec on day one. PC hardware is always a moving target, so I'm not too worried about that. I feel much better about consoles this gen than I did last gen.
It's better than last time, but it seems to me it could be a whole lot better. Maybe AMD will surprise us, but I'm concerned Navi will end up being the Jaguar core of next gen... far too weak to support the generation.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Form a console standpoint you have no compatibility issues at all because all certified accessories and peripherals are USB Type-A. Series X is set to support all that stuff. Some people already own that stuff and I think MS don't want to force them to renew it just because the connector type. I see USB-C only useful if you actually plan to support USB 3.2 Gen 2 with 10Gbps. But that is just me.

I know you talk about stuff you may already own with a USB-C type connector. Well that is solved easily. 9 bucks at Amazon for 2 adapters.

USB-C can use alt mode for DisplayPort out. Useful not just for PC monitors, but potential a future VR solution as well.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
You have a link? I could of sworn it was confirmed to be intake.

Also I think Phil mentioned it in an interview after the reveal or in Major Nelson's podcast. I have one of these types of cases for my PC and since hot air rises it's just common sense for the top fan to be an exhaust. The circle on the bottom of the case (and probably the vents near the i/o) aids in this to create a gap for for fresh air to be sucked in.

USB C
The XseX controllers are most likely USB C just the like the Elite 2 but the other ends of the cord will be USB A and you can still fast charge, although fast charge isn't really a big deal if your controllers have good battery life anyway (plugged in will always be king for the lower latency).

It's more telling about their (MS) plans for VR as USB C for a headset would be ideal. So it looks like if Microsoft is going to do VR at all on the Xbox that they're waiting for a wireless solution or will provide some sort of adapter. For the same reason I can see Sony sticking a USB C port on the front for their new PSVR headset. I'm not sure if HDMI to USB requires typc C for 4k60 (inputs) but they could have an adapter for that too and still allow HDMI IN (via adapter) for people that still want it.

As far as USB C for external hard drives I wouldn't be surprised if both companies limited current external solutions to only being for archiving games and playing last gen (non enhanced)games where new games will require being installed on the internal drives or on expansion slot drives like the one on the back of the XseX.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
USB-C can use alt mode for DisplayPort out. Useful not just for PC monitors, but potential a future VR solution as well.
If there is a demand for VR, there will be a Series VR that will support exactly that, at least that is something I would expect now they changed their name game.

I am a MacBook Pro User and well aware about DP over USB-C but that would mean to implement Thunderbolt 3 or 4 and if you followed the news not even Thunderbolt 4 is set to support DP in all implementations.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
If there is a demand for VR, there will be a Series VR that will support exactly that, at least that is something I would expect now they changed their name game.

I am a MacBook Pro User and well aware about DP over USB-C but that would mean to implement Thunderbolt 3 or 4 and if you followed the news not even Thunderbolt 4 is set to support DP in all implementations.
DisplayPort out does not require Thunderbolt at all. It simply uses certain pins on the USB-C connector to carry a DisplayPort signal. Its entirely USB/Thunderbolt agnostic.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Hard to quote everyone replies.

All - What I know is not wide enough to allow me to go into details.

Consider my replies as personal opinion / not entirely based in facts. Still... do you really think PS5 is below 10tf?

FinalCut

Oct 27, 2017
It would be unfortunate for either of the new consoles not to have at least one USB-C port. If games from these systems can only be played from the (faster) internal drive and there is no upgrade solution this will make migrating games from external drives a hassle.

Type C can currently bump up to 20Gbps, and USB4 (Thunderbolt 3) will take that up to 40Gbps. USB-A ports are capped at 10Gbps, which would be fine for today but as game size creeps up, migrating data from external storage will become more frustrating. There's also the added benefit of USB-C Power Delivery and DP-alt mode which doesn't require the full USB 3.2 2x2 (20Gbps) implementation.

Doesn't this require thunderbolt?
This does not require Thunderbolt on either end of the connection.

Madhlad

Jan 18, 2020

Consider my replies as personal opinion / not entirely based in facts. Still... do you really think PS5 is below 10tf?
There are peoples that want PS5 to be below 10tf.

Edit: also there are peoples that want Xbox Series x to be less powerful, but it would be best for all parties if both consoles are close and above 12tf

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
I also hope the PS5 has Bluetooth Audio built in so it won't require a dongle for their wireless headsets.
What I really want is an official wireless single ear headset - Like the one they had for PS3 -
Not the GOLD Series HEADSET. That is amazing and I have a good feeling it'll work with my PS5 - Uses a dongle after all.

But just a ear piece wireless one would be great too - Sometimes I like using my 5.1 Surround Sound and talk to friends.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

Can you please write this in a Pastebin so it's taken seriously around here?

Status
Not open for further replies.