• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
EO34JLaXsAYYP4B

Not sure if already posted but thoughts? I hate the fact they removed 2 HDMIs - I use that the MOST.

EO34JLZXkAIAcN5

We getting more USB Ports though. I guess that is OK

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
EO34JLaXsAYYP4B

Not sure if already posted but thoughts? I hate the fact they removed 2 HDMIs - I use that the MOST.

We getting more USB Ports though. I guess that is OK

Damn, I really liked that feature. I have so many consoles hooked up I usually have one going through the Xbox in any given TV setup (I have several...)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody in the SIE thread said that they need to reveal early because of the retailers, not quit sure why tough.

Normally I'd agree because you'll be showing something or at least letting them know a new console is coming, and a ballpark idea of amount of games. But in 2013 there was no formal announcement of PS4. This time they've announced the real name, logo and some info on specs. So they *could* wait until after Destination Playstation. But I don't think they will.

MS waited until after GDC in 2013 - did that cause them any issues with leaks?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
That cyberpunk thread is a prime example why I hate Microsoft strategy.
Yep. But the hate is more toward people who still saying it will be fine.
Do we even know this polish insider? Plus Microsoft's strategy would only last a year or 2. Also Cyberpunk is more ambitious than most titles we'll see in the next 2 years. I promise.
Let's wait and see the actual game.
Okay someone from the other dimension is saying announcement by the end of next week with the PS Meeting 3rd week of February... we shall see.
Please stop... Don't make this thread like a Nintendo Direct one.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
So with the rumours of the PS5 have 3 modes, one for ps5 games and 2 others to emulate ps4 and ps4pro, what's the chances that the ps4pro's boost mode is not implemented in the ps5 so we might actually get ps4 games performing worse on the ps5 compared to the ps4pro?
Plus 3 more models BC with Ps1, ps2 and ps3 are coming early next year lol. There's no way Sony will charge extra money for BC.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
can you summarize what hints have leaked the past few hours re: PS5 power?

what does the devkit girth even mean
Welp, seeing that person isn't reliable, disregard what I said.

I was also referring to gl0w commenting on gifs. Again, subtle, probably nothing.

As for the Feb. vs. March reveal, March might just be another event. They do have to make up for skipping E3.

You must have been a God. The werewolves were some of the most annoying enemies in GOW, since they could insta-kill you.
All I know is they kicked my ass, lol.

Last edited:

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Really disappointed by the lack of an USB-C.

I got a couple of NVME SSDs I use every day with my Macbook (backups, big files to work from and etc) and was expecting them to allow us to connect NVME SSDs via that.

The confusion about USB ports vs capabilities and standards is going to be a pain point for this gen's launch. The USB-C connector doesn't equal what you're describing, which is the Thunderbolt chipset giving you 40gbs speeds. That increases the cost of a MacBook by hundreds of dollars, not so much in hardware costs, but in Licensing. No way a mass market console can afford that, unless MS makes a huge deal. Otherwise the USB-A host port can have fast data and 10W of power for fast charging, with the endpoint being any connector shape you want.

I suppose they could just use C ports instead to "Appear faster", like 90 percent of products that use it (Not kidding, some devices ports still run USB 2.x despite being a USB-C ports). Then of course the story then would be "Microsoft forces you to use adaptors for all your stuff."

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Last edited:

Evuk

Oct 28, 2017
Hey everyone, been lurking forever now...
Wondering what your thoughts are on the vents looking like theyre half blocked?
RAhPbrQ.jpg

Its the same on the other side too.
Would this not be very efficient?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Based on what? That'd be a pretty silly design as it's back to front and working against the laws of heat!

based on this:

The old Mac pro Cylinder, brings fresh air in through the top, and pushes it through the bottom. it looks like Xbox series x is pushing it out the back. We know that the top is where it's pulling air in from. it would make no sense to have vents for intake on the back.

Unless it creates a strong enough air vacuum that can pull air through the back vents that go through all the components. But it would have to be spinning very hard. And they confirmed the top is intake.

It would make no sense to have the vents on the back be intake, you bring air in to what? Have it stay and get warm, where is it going to go? There are no vents on the front.

I assume it is exhaust. The CYCLONE type fan similar to the MAC pro brings in a lot of air and since it's high pressure fan more than likely it can push it down which cools the components and then is from the force exhausted out of the back.

RAhPbrQ.jpg

It is very efficient. This can be seen in blade server's where the fans in there are super high static funneled fans that shoot air in a direct path that comes out specified vents.

IF you don't have compartments that help block off air, you get re-circulated warm air that screws up the air pressue, that then get's recycled into components that have their own fan IE CPU fan, gpu fan, HDD fan ect.

That sounds like really bad design.
Heated air rises up, so you would blow that heated air down and blow it out on the side, it rises up beside the console casing and the fan sucks it back in.

I take it you've never seen the MAC PRO cylinder? WHich uses a similar design in cooling.

Last edited:

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
based on this:

The old Mac pro Cylinder, brings fresh air in through the top, and pushes it through the bottom. it looks like Xbox series x is pushing it out the back. We know that the top is where it's pulling air in from. it would make no sense to have vents for intake on the back.

Unless it creates a strong enough air vacuum that can pull air through the back vents that go through all the components. But it would have to be spinning very hard. And they confirmed the top is intake.

It would make no sense to have the vents on the back be intake, you bring air in to what? Have it stay and get warm, where is it going to go? There are no vents on the front.

I assume it is exhaust. The CYCLONE type fan similar to the MAC pro brings in a lot of air and since it's high pressure fan more than likely it can push it down which cools the components and then is from the force exhausted out of the back.

Thanks for the link, where did MS confirm top was intake?

Air would get sucked in due to the negative air pressure caused by the fan pushing hot air out of the top...it would get sucked through the case from bottom and pushed out the top...in my head anyway lol

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
RAhPbrQ.jpg

Thanks for the link, where did MS confirm top was intake?

Air would get sucked in due to the negative air pressure caused by the fan pushing hot air out of the top...it would get sucked through the case from bottom and pushed out the top...in my head anyway lol

They talked about it in a tweet after reveal. And I believe digital Foundry also talked about it. If you look at the fan design of the Mac pro cylinder you will see how it generates pressure to push air down over the components. Which seems similar to how this fan design works for xbox sereis x, only the fan looks even bigger, so it can push even more air on a wider area. Would not be surprised if one of those back vents was for power supply exhaust. Which would have a intake vent getting fresh air from inside the case which is getting air from top fan pushing air down, then the other components that have a vent to suck air in, push it out with their internal fan ie psu fan.

Makes sense.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Plus 3 more models BC with Ps1, ps2 and ps3 are coming early next year lol. There's no way Sony will charge extra money for BC.

Where did you hear this? Did I miss something?

The confusion about USB ports vs capabilities and standards is going to be a pain point for this gen's launch. The USB-C connector doesn't equal what you're describing, which is the Thunderbolt chipset giving you 40gbs speeds. That increases the cost of a MacBook by hundreds of dollars, not so much in hardware costs, but in Licensing. No way a mass market console can afford that, unless MS makes a huge deal.

I mean, this is why USB 4 is coming to fruition, and should be popping up in PCs by Spring. That'll have much cheaper licensing.

Evuk

Oct 28, 2017
They talked about it in a tweet after reveal. And I believe digital Foundry also talked about it. If you look at the fan design of the Mac pro cylinder you will see how it generates pressure to push air down over the components. Which seems similar to how this fan design works for xbox sereis x, only the fan looks even bigger, so it can push even more air on a wider area. Would not be surprised if one of those back vents was for power supply exhaust. Which would have a intake vent getting fresh air from inside the case which is getting air from top fan pushing air down, then the other components that have a vent to suck air in, push it out with their internal fan ie psu fan.

Makes sense.

So wouldn't it make more sense to put a small fan or two on the back side as well?
Even if it is to blow air out or suck it in...

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Hecht just to make sure, did you verify Vullein070?
To the extent that I at least consider them to be credible, sure. Any individual info they share should still be taken with a grain of salt.

EDIT: just realized what thread this was. I verified them having knowledge having to do with comics and comic-related stuff, not video games.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017

Makes sense.

Sorry, but you can't just say it's a fact without something to back it up!?

The link you provided says nothing about even the Mac cooling from the top, and this review of the Mac says it taks cool air from the bottom;

Status
Not open for further replies.