• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The first PS4 game was knack, i dont think sony cares that much what is PS5 being revealed with, as long as they also have other more mindblowing stuff
Well then, you can't do worse than Knack I guess, if it's Spring then before GDC makes more sense to me due to the possibility of things leaking after it.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fucking hell, can we still change the OT title? Because if so |OT10| Curb Your Enthusiasm

Watchudoingsony.

Oct 31, 2019
Spring is too late for a reveal... also as some 'insiders' say, March to June is heck of a long period to give as info to be considered leak imho, either give exact week or a period within a month like beginning of Feb. ... giving March to June period for a leak is like saying a Star Wars film releasing at the second half of the year when all ppl in the world already know its generally a Holiday released franchise..... this thread has become too silly and these 'insiders' are not cutting it unfortunately

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
The irony lmao, just another to add to the ignore pile.

Why can't we just be enthusiasts and enjoy new info and discuss it's merits like normal people? I know some folks are going stir crazy waiting for into but the little dumb Snipes are getting so annoying. The same people are sitting here tracking leaks of an announcement invitation like NORAD tracking Santa.

Jumping into another persons conversation and then announcing you're putting them in ignore... What type of diva act is this?

Ok, here's an honest (and most probably stupid) question.

PS4Pro & original PS3 (as far as I remember) have three-pronged (grounded) power cable in Europe. PS4 & PS3 Slim have two-pronged, similar to what we see on prototype photo. I remember reading that this is due to amount of consumed power and that PS4 was originally designed to be within the limit, so that it'll be cheaper & require less certification.

So the question here is: are the regulations different in US (assuming photo is from US) or does XSX consume less power than PS4Pro and doesn't require three-pronged cable?

Again, sorry for possible stupidity of the question.

Oct 25, 2017
"Controlled leak"

giphy.gif

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
XBone clocks werent final till the end.

Firstly, I literally already said that GDC leaks would at least give us a bare minimum - that is, they might not be flawlessly accurate but we can be dead sure that they'll be very close, and that any changes will be positive rather than negative. There's also stuff like CU and core/thread count that won't change, and clock count that won't change more than maybe 5-10%.

Secondly, the leaked X1 clocks were accurate to the specs we got at the official reveal, which just reinforces my point that if official reveals don't happen until after GDC, we'll still get the spec reveals from them early, which is what everyone is excited for.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Well if he has pubes he is not a kid (atleast that's how it works with most humans haha)
Some people are born with teeth. What I wanna know is what the slot at the back is for? And is that liquid on the front of the console or some kinda weird IR sensor? Looks like dried Sprite to me. If that was my kid posting prototype pics with a serial number, they'd be grounded until they were 18.

EDIT: The slot is a dev port. I was hoping for a slot for removable SSDs

Last edited:

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
Firstly, I literally already said that GDC leaks would at least give us a bare minimum - that is, they might not be flawlessly accurate but we can be dead sure that they'll be very close, and that any changes will be positive rather than negative. There's also stuff like CU and core/thread count that won't change, and clock count that won't change more than maybe 5-10%.

Secondly, the leaked X1 clocks were accurate to the specs we got at the official reveal, which just reinforces my point that if official reveals don't happen until after GDC, we'll still get the spec reveals from them early, which is what everyone is excited for.
Yes, but the GPU 53 Mhz rise clocks was known in summer. Revealing your plans (CUs and clocks) in February could allow the competition to make it again.

Jun 23, 2019
Why can't we just be enthusiasts and enjoy new info and discuss it's merits like normal people? I know some folks are going stir crazy waiting for into but the little dumb Snipes are getting so annoying. The same people are sitting here tracking leaks of an announcement invitation like NORAD tracking Santa.

Jumping into another persons conversation and then announcing you're putting them in ignore... What type of diva act is this?

lol Come on guy. We know you like Xbox. Can we all just get along despite everyone's preference for a different console?

Isn't saying insider shit while not being verified a perma ban?

Can we also stop with the backseat modding? If you have an issue with a poster, report them and keep it moving. Stop running people out the thread.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Did sony announce clocks in February? They could show demos and talk about specs in relative abstract without giving concrete details. They don't even need to do that at all really - leave it to closer to launch when both are locked in (although it'll leak eventually)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Did sony announce clocks in February? They could show demos and talk about specs in relative abstract without giving concrete details. They don't even need to do that at all really - leave it to closer to launch when both are locked in (although it'll leak eventually)
Not the CPU clock, GPU clock was possible to calculate because they gave CU and TF

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
although the serial number worked - it could still be a fake. Maybe someone peeled off the sticker on their Xbox and put it on? Or used it to make a fake label?

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
although the serial number worked - it could still be a fake. Maybe someone peeled off the sticker on their Xbox and put it on? Or used it to make a fake label?

Would the old lable even fit?

Edit: Oh right, you also said used it to make a new lable. Maybe so? People have done way more elaborate shit for a fake.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Anyone knows what's that slit next to the HDMI port and below the ethernet port?
Also why 2 USB ports are on the back and just one on the front? Not practical at all if someone wants to recharge 2 controllers or use mouse keyboard or anything else.

Also in the first image, there is a power button with X sign, the eject button for bluray discs and a button next to the USB port. What is it for?

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You make it with Love don't you? That's why it's so secret.
It is actually not a secret, I shared it already with some people here on request, in DMs!
And yes it is a labor of love :)

-----

On the prototype "leak": Dammit I missed all of this while sleeping. But sometimes you have to give your body what he actually wants!

-----

Mecha Meister You should really do the PS5 reveal poll as more and more people hint at date outside Feb now.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda getting the feeling people who want to be verified don't deserve to be. Him and Black Osiris.
Is that because he said something about timelines you don't like or want to believe?
Don't know why the thread is being aggressive toward u but lack of real info unfortunately is the cause so don't take it personally man. (Most probable reason is that non of us like to hear that Sony isn't doing an event in feb haha)
There's this weird obsession with February as if Sony have always announced their hardware in this month.
So... roughly two weeks from today till the PS Meeting... hopefully...
Lol that ship has sailed (feb 5) . Pray for feb 12 now haha
Why is everyone so beholden to a "PS Meeting"? They had one in February for a console. One.
PS1: CES
PS2: GDC March
PS3: May
PS4: Feb
Here's the thing about tradition:
a long-established custom or belief that has been passed on from one generation to another.

It's just hopes and dreams at this point and there's nothing to suggest that Sony will roll out the same marketing plan (which is what the Feb event was).

if I were a betting man I'd say that GDC is when you'd get the meat and bones if the hardware announced. That shit should really only be important to developers.
Then May with a fuller reveal of how everything works for the public with services and a few games.
July: A state of play focused on games away from the lights of E3

granted my guesses are as legit as assuming that Feb is a long held tradition like the name DualShock but I don't see it being in a few weeks.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
There never were any. The AMD presentation at CES had a b-roll of the console but it wasn't provided by Microsoft. They bought it from a fan render site
I'm not referring to AMD's render.

I'm referring to an enthusiast piece of hardware meant to last 5-8 years not having the new standard port. USB-C is amazing. Why wouldn't it be on there?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Neither RAM prediction is based on possible maximums. PS5 comes from the GitHub leak, which if I recall correctly states a 256-bit bus at a maximum measured bandwidth of 531 GB/s. With that bus only 18gbps RAM modules would allow such a high real bandwidth, thus 576 GB/s theoretical bandwidth. The 16GB capacity is based on the assumption this is the minimum required for nextgen GPU and CPU. (It does also happen to be the maximum this setup can support.)

The XSX RAM prediction is based on the render of the system shown by Microsoft at E3. That indicated a 320-bit bus, and 14gbps RAM modules. Thus the 560 GB/s bandwidth predicted. Note that the E3 layout strongly suggested 16GB total capacity. However, due to the layout it'd be relatively easy to upgrade RAM capacity as far as 20 GB if Microsoft wanted, which is why my prediction is "16+".
The Github leak had also shown 560GB/s for XSX. We know 560GB/s can be achieved in all sorts of ways, but the most straightforward will be 320-bit with 14Gbps GDDR6 which is, just like you've said, exactly what MS had shown us in the E3 CGI video. So it makes a lot of sense. The only thing that might change is the GDDR6 speed and the use mix of the 1 and 2 GB chips which will allow them to go up to 20GB. I think 20GB will be a smart move, it will allow them to have unified memory speed instead of two separate pool speeds because of the mixing of the chip volumes.

Did it? I missed that. Last I remember seeing was that the only "Arden" notes in the leak seemed to be cut-and-paste errors of Oberon results. Do you have more context for the 56 CU data, and was there anything else suggestive for the Xbox platform?
Yes, in the Arden data it said 3584 SIMD32 which is, as you know, 56 CU. It also showed that the Arden Gen0 BC mode had only 16 ROPS. Because Xbox One was the only console in history to have 16 ROPS, it must be an MS product with BC mode to the Xbox One.

Here is a screenshot for both bus speed and 3584 shaders from the Arden file:
GajG13o.jpg

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I think that would cross a line. Things that are in private should stay there unless the involved parties decide to share the information. If you allow or force that admin/mods can see your private messages I am out of here. Especially if anybody could read my cheesecake recipe without my permission!

Wait do you seriously have a good cheesecake recipe?

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
To be honest I don't know. It's a weird omission but the only thing I can see it really hampering in the short term is transfer rates of external SSDs etc. USB3.1 type A-C cords should still be there for housings but they may not be as fast. Also controllers could still charge from type a - c

native USB C ports will probably be the .5 upgrade and maybe we get VR comparability then

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Why would they need a debug port for a console box (this is what people get but this is one is not for sale, and this is what Phil Spencer has at home to and is using)? This would make sense for a devkit not the console box itself.
It IS a devkit. The devkit/prototype happens to look very similar to a retail box, but it's definitely not the retail box here (but it will be really close looking).

Status
Not open for further replies.