• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
New thread - old habits!

My most recent prediction

AuiwvKB.png

Base Assumptions:

for Xbox:

• Xbox (Phil Spencer) already outlined the specs by multipliers. 2 times performance of the Xbox One X GPU . What ever it is, as a firm value it will possibly fall into the range given by the prediction.
  • They also solved some issues I was so adamant doubtful about. Their design is an elegant way to solve cooling and noise. The format of at least 150mm x 150mm allows MS to use slow 140mm fans at the top and whatever they want at the bottom. If they would go with Noctua fans that thing would be not noticeable if the supposed cooler is able handle the heat dissipation.

for PS5:
  • Still based on Oberon. This is the most firm spec rumor we still have about PS5. There is no other information out there that would convince me otherwise. Especially after the GizHub leak.
  • Yes, Oberon is 2Ghz. Let's say it is achievable. The design of the PS5 dev kit is for me a clear indicator Sony knows about the challenges high clocks come with (heat, noise). Waiting for a more firm PS5 retail SKU leak.
  • While the Github leak says 36CUs I give it a shot and think Sony will take the yield and cost hit and goes with 40CUs

for both:
  • 3.2 Ghz CPU is a safe baseline. More is always better. And yes, I saw the WindowsCentral article.
  • 1TB NVMe SSD, I don't think it will be more
  • Memory and memory speed got an update to adapt to the thumb of rule (40-50GB/s per TF).
  • 13GB+3GB (16GB) was mentioned in a WindowsCentral article for Xbox Series X. Jez Corden, as I know him, only put out numbers if he has 2 or more vetted sources on this. I expect something similar for PS5. The 18GB/s chip can reach the 560 GB /s as well that were visible from the GitHub Leak.

Again this is a prediction, not a claim or a fact that it will play out this way! Just to be sure everybody understands! Threre is a good chance I have a lot of misses.

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont think they are going to say a damn word til the last of us 2 is out. Modern sony only speaks when they need to, no sooner

Aug 26, 2019
It's highly unlikely IMO - don't they pretty much have to reveal in February, simply because if they don't the details will just get leaked at GDC?
Yes, the reveal will probably be between this "Experience PlayStation" thing concluding (February 16th I believe) and GDC. On the off-chance that there isn't a reveal in that timeframe, I think that circa-E3 is when it happens.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Lol, I see we're in the "Sony hasn't said anything in two days so they're never going to tell us anything ever again and PS5 must be canceled" phase. I get the thirst is real, but the impatience is really funny. Just. Chill.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I dont think they are going to say a damn word til the last of us 2 is out. Modern sony only speaks when they need to, no sooner
I really dont think their marketing timeline is based around one game that got internally delayed from 2019 to February 2020 and officially delayed from february 2020 to late may 2020, the amount of delays tells you the date isnt a hard forced cap for the marketing team

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
I think DrKeo posted in this forum before that if we don't get the PS5 spec reveal in February, then the specs will certainly get leaked by someone at the GDC event in March. Hopefully, that's correct because I don't know if PS fans can handle dead silence from Sony until summertime otherwise.

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really dont think their marketing timeline is based around one game that got internally delayed from 2019 to February 2020 and officially delayed from february 2020 to late may 2020, the amount of delays tells you the date isnt a hard forced cap for the marketing team

i dont know. I sort of feel like they know the ps5 will sell no matter what at this point, maybe because of that they feel like they dont need to spend as much money and time on marketing. Maybe we get two state of plays. One this summer and one right before launch and thats it

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
New thread - old habits!

My most recent prediction

7raI84N.png

Base Assumptions:

for Xbox:

• Xbox (Phil Spencer) already outlined the specs by multipliers. 2 times performance of the Xbox One X GPU . What ever it is, as a firm value it will possibly fall into the range given by the prediction.
  • They also solved some issues I was so adamant doubtful about. Their design is an elegant way to solve cooling and noise. The format of at least 150mm x 150mm allows MS to use slow 140mm fans at the top and whatever they want at the bottom. If they would go with Noctua fans that thing would be not noticeable if the supposed cooler is able handle the heat dissipation.

for PS5:
  • Still based on Oberon. This is the most firm spec rumor we still have about PS5. There is no other information out there that would convince me otherwise. Especially after the GizHub leak.
  • Yes, Oberon is 2Ghz. Let's say it is achievable. The design of the PS5 dev kit is for me a clear indicator Sony knows about the challenges high clocks come with (heat, noise). Waiting for a more firm PS5 retail SKU leak.
  • While the Github leak says 36CUs I give it a shot and think Sony will take the yield and cost hit and goes with 40CUs

for both:
  • 3.2 Ghz CPU is a safe baseline. More is always better. And yes, I saw the WindowsCentral article.
  • 1TB NVMe SSD, I don't think it will be more
  • Memory and memory speed got an update to adapt to the thumb of rule (40-50GB/s per TF). Updated to better chips.
  • 13GB+3GB (16GB) was mentioned in a WindowsCentral article for Xbox Series X. Jez Corden, as I know him, only put out numbers if he has 2 or more vetted sources on this. I expect something similar for PS5.

Again this is a prediction, not a claim or a fact that it will play out this way! Just to be sure everybody understands! Threre is a good chance I have a lot of misses.

I really don't see how it would make any sense for Sony to go with 40 CU's and such a high clock.

They would lose a ton of money on yields and would also have to go with a very expensive cooling solution.

Playing the yield lottery and playing with high temps just does not seem like something Sony and Cerny would do.

Pretty sure that the costs of a bigger silicon with more CU's and less than perfect yields factored in would make much much more sense and I doubt it would be much more expensive because you can save on cooling and yields.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I think DrKeo posted in this forum before that if we don't here the PS5 specs in February, then the specs will certainly get leaked by someone at the GDC event in March. Hopefully, that's correct because I don't know if PS fans can handle dead silence from Sony until summertime otherwise.
I'm not saying that from knowledge but by March 2020 basically everyone will have a version of the PS5 and XSX dev-kit. When you have thousands of developers that know everything about the PS5/XSX dev-kits and hundreds of reports walking around in the same space, you are going to have some leaks. I mean, the PS4 Pro leaked because a reporter had heard two devs talk in a line in GDC 2016.

Aug 26, 2019
Question for the thread. Would you prefer:

A.) A dripfeed marketing approach where we get medium-sized PS5 info drops from Sony each month from now until launch

or

B.) Radio silence until a full reveal in May, and then small tidbits until launch

?

Jan 20, 2019
i dont know. I sort of feel like they know the ps5 will sell no matter what at this point, maybe because of that they feel like they dont need to spend as much money and time on marketing. Maybe we get two state of plays. One this summer and one right before launch and thats it

Oh they spend a lot of money in marketing, the problem is that this is harcore forum, so most peopel dont see that marketing.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Me too. Jaffe 4 weeks comment and checking the 10th, 11th, 12th of February still empty on Sonyhall so hopefully the 12th.
Has anyone been there? The photos make it look quite small and not the kind place that'd be useful for the reveal, especially if you compare to the PS4 meeting.

Maybe it is deceptive.

If we have February I'm going to stick with my previous hunch of the 10th.

Oct 25, 2017
18GB should be 288-bit. 16Gbps GDDR6 will provide 576GB/s in a 288-bit interface. It doesn't match the Flute and Github leaks but it is technically sound :)

I too think the leak is BS, but to be fair, 1830Mhz with 52 CU matches his numbers, so I wouldn't disqualify the rumor because of the TF and clock numbers, they are pretty sound if he rounded the 1830Mhz to 1800Mhz.
The clock isn't why I dismissed the post.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I really don't see how it would make any sense for Sony to go with 40 CU's and such a high clock.

They would lose a ton of money on yields and would also have to go with a very expensive cooling solution.

Playing the yield lottery and playing with high temps just does not seem like something Sony and Cerny would do.

Pretty sure that the costs of a bigger silicon with more CU's and less than perfect yields factored in would make much much more sense and I doubt it would be much more expensive because you can save on cooling and yields.
I totally get that. But what I try to do is a ballpark prediction, not the exact specs. So using 40CUs is the upper end of the scale of what we know. It is a possibility I do not want to ignore even it costs yield.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

A.) A dripfeed marketing approach where we get medium-sized PS5 info drops from Sony each month from now until launch

or

B.) Radio silence until a full reveal in May, and then small tidbits until launch

?
C.) Strangle Tonky

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It doesnt work like that though, sony still has partners that want to show their game and sony cant just tell them "oh wait TLOU2 got delayed again tough luck you cant show your game at E3 now".
Those events and their schedule are decided long before, especially for a console reveal event, your partner needs to be given a deadline to prepare footage.
Or do you think sonys reveal event is hardware/first party only? Which i doubt even more.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Maybe god fall will be at second event about price and games etc... and not PS meeting reveal ?
Why would they show GodFall at the reveal?
This is a (timed ?) console exclusive launch title, of course we will saw it at the reveal.
I get this... but then i am thinking:
"With all the silence on leaks that sony are doing around their PS5 plans, they just let a third party dev give a ballpark of when to expect the event when even they arent willing to?"
That's not what I said.
We can see some news of Godfall before the events.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Jaffe already said on twitter he was speculating and has no info about it. I posted that tweet in the last OT already.
I mean, what's he supposed to say? It was the same with the ND dev that confirmed HW ray-tracing. He said he was merley "speculating". Jaffe knows more than he lets on, no doubt about it. Probably got ninja'd and had to do some minor damage control. There will be a february reveal.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I mean, what's he supposed to say? It was the same with the ND dev that confirmed HW ray-tracing. He said he was merley "speculating". Jaffe knows more than he lets on, no doubt about it. Probably got ninja'd and had to do some minor damage control. There will be a february reveal.
I have no idea when the reveal will be. And I would need to speculate. Just like Jaffe did.
P.S. I would favor an asap reveal, tbqh.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Liabe Brave Thank you for the info pertaining to IPC in the last OT. I still believe that AMD are still highlighting the no. of CUs in their NAVI based cards as opposed to WGP, at least on marketing brochures.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

or

?
I want a full spec reveal in February so I can end my addiction to this forum and stop hanging on every word by every "insider" I read.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I totally get that. But what I try to do is a ballpark prediction, not the exact specs. So using 40CUs is the upper end of the scale of what we know. It is a possibility I do not want to ignore even it costs yield.

I understand that it's just a prediction and that you want to include the best possible scenario but I guess that what I'm saying is that it would make alot more if the number of CU's is higher with lower clocks (MS scenario) or, if you feel certain that 40 is the maximum, for them to have 36 CU's with high clocks or 40 CU's with much lower clocks.

36 CU's with high clocks or 40 CU's with low clocks don't seem very likely to me either but at least it would make alot more sense than playing around with both yields and high temps.

I guess what I'm really saying is that including the "best" (best being 40 CU's with high speeds) possible scenario doesn't really make sense and would be better left out of your prediction.

Like if you want to be optimistic higher than 40 CU's would make alot more sense to me even if the info that we have doesn't support it.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
At this point Sony's silence and lack of any information is just annoying. I have stopped caring about specs altogether - I just want to see games.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
Even 36CUs and 1.8GHz GPU would make a console to be $449. It's economically more reasonable to increase BOM to make a more powerful console at $499 since $449 consoles won't be sold better.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I understand that it's just a prediction but I guess that what I'm saying is that it would make alot more if the number of CU's is higher with lower clocks (MS scenario) or, if you feel certain that 40 is the maximum, for them to have 36 CU's with high clocks or 40 CU's with much lower clocks.

36 CU's with high clocks or 40 CU's with low clocks don't seem very likely to me either but at least it would make alot more sense than playing around with both yields and high temps.
All public available information only points to the 36/40 CU count (that I would see as legit info). If there would any information otherwise I would use that too. It is like it is for PS5 for the moment.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019

or

?
B sounds like that traditional approach. Since there isn't an E3 for them, I'd opt into option A so as long as they give some substance in what they're feeding us and they give specific month periods to where they will give the next pieces of info.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
All public available information only points to the 36/40 CU count (legit info). If there would any information otherwise I would use that too. It is like it is for PS5 for the moment.

I didnt Edit my post fast enough it seems. If you would take another look at it.

Edit: Anyways i understand that you want to limit yourself to the Github leaks which is fine. I just don't think it should make your prediction make less sense.

Why not limit yourself to the github leak and make a prediction that makes sense?

Or do you feel that people will mistake predictions of 8tf as you being a console warrior?

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Anyone know how a full spec reveal in February would harm Sony? Perhaps hurt sales of PS4 games? I never bought that reasoning by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.