• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So, I guessed the Sony customizations were for VR, still think that's possible. So is that quote saying the SSD in the PS5 had Navi customizations for it?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think we might do this dance for a while, no talk of RT at AMD's E3 & it's gonna be a long wait til Sony talks about it in 2020.

Su seems to be saying they will talk about RT at AMD E3. But that'll be as it pertains to Navi generically, so we could presumably take whatever is discussed there as the baseline for PS5. But anything PS5-specific... who knows when we'll hear about it.

For Navi generically, at least, I'd be expecting something quite different to the RTX accelerations but it'll be interesting to see what they're doing. I think it'll be along the lines of 'well, we optimised compute for xyz, and the cache enables 123, and this is why Navi is x% better at RT than Vega per clock', and not some big set of custom silicon for RT, but it should be revealing nonetheless.

Oct 25, 2017
That B3d handwritten leak in full from April seems far too detailed to be fake.

Beyond the two pages everyone has seen there are 6 other pages detailing the thinking behind each component and scaling.Full leak

Yes.
But i don't know.
Too good to be true.
512GB SSD NVMe + 2TB HDD?
24GB GDDR6 @ 672GBs + 4GB DDR4?
Dual Custom Raytracing Hardware?
Navi 64 @ 11TF?
Dual Zen 2?
Chiplet Design?

This thing will be a monster, hungry for energy.

Jq8bqlO.png

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Reporter: Can we say anything about Renoir [a rumored APU combining Zen 2 technology and Vega GPU cores]? There have been reports that the project is dead.

Su: That is not true. It is doing well.

Drew Prairie, AMD spokesman: We might want to start with, we don't know what Renoir is.

What's Renoir going to be used on? Laptops?

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Yes.
But i don't know.
Too good to be true.
512GB SSD NVMe + 2TB HDD?
24GB GDDR6 @ 672GBs + 4GB DDR4?
Dual Custom Raytracing Hardware
Navi 64 @ 11TF
Dual Zen 2
Chiplet Design

This thing will be a monster, hungry for energy.
Only way I can see this happening is if they expect to take big losses on this (but at the same time guarantee the power crown) whilst simultaneously making a profit off Lockheart which will be 70%+ of their sales anyway. It makes sense but I doubt they'd want to take big losses anywhere.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Su seems to be saying they will talk about RT at AMD E3. But that'll be as it pertains to Navi generically, so we could presumably take whatever is discussed there as the baseline for PS5. But anything PS5-specific... who knows when we'll hear about it.

For Navi generically, at least, I'd be expecting something quite different to the RTX accelerations but it'll be interesting to see what they're doing. I think it'll be along the lines of 'well, we optimised compute for xyz, and the cache enables 123, and this is why Navi is x% better at RT than Vega per clock', and not some big set of custom silicon for RT, but it should be revealing nonetheless.
I would hope for Navi RT if it exists to be universal, if it's PS5 exclusive & RTX obviously remains Nvidia exclusive on top of that, multiplats are just not gonna adopt RT & everyone gets screwed over, though FP Sony games would look great & the occasional enhanced RTX title.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Only way I can see this happening is if they expect to take big losses on this (but at the same time guarantee the power crown) whilst simultaneously making a profit off Lockheart which will be 70%+ of their sales anyway. It makes sense but I doubt they'd want to take big losses anywhere.

That would make no business sense. You don't lose money on a premium product. Premium products almost always have fatter margins on them, because the kind of consumer that is the target there is less price sensitive.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
....you do realise that was during the Q&A session during the recent Investor Day?

They havent talked about the date, they ruled it out from PS5 being released in 12 months.

Nothing about PS5 date was discussed on the Q&A. An analyst on Twitter claims a Sony rep told him no PS5 for 12 months with no one else backing him up (unless someone knows otherwise?). The same person last year said John Kodera told him no PS5 for 3 years and other analysts called him out on it.

Merk Cerny also said ps5 is not this year .he would not lie in a widely published article just cause .

Sorry to be the pedant here but again no he didn't. The reporter stated that. There is no direct quote of Mark saying that. Clever Sony leaving things open....

And just to be clear here as I'm sure some will jump on me for not letting 2019 go. I already gave up on that. This is just about who said what (or not).

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Lisa Su's Q&A leans to them getting sick of hearing about people claiming that Sony built Navi. I have hope on the RayTracing front. Can they develop a more efficient solution than NVIDIA?

The Xbox One X isn't making a profit.

Oh it is. Just maybe not on hardware. Your whales are going to be buying up lots of software instead of buying it elsewhere.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The Anaconda GPU in the B3D leak is also being used for xCloud which means they would be ordering a significant amount of the GPUs.

The idea that each Anaconda GPU will be paired with a more capable Zen 2 based CPU in xCloud to allow each CPU/GPU combo to run 2 games at 1080p for streaming also seems very smart.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Out of curiosity, could this SSD solution also help with VR games that have weird pop-ins and such? Apologies if a dumb question.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Bruhhh

You actually think it's coming out this year? Lol fat chance of that happening, chubby fat chance

If that 1 journalist is the only source for no PS5 for the rest of this fiscal year and Sony hasn't been confirmed to say anything yet then I think that reopens the door to early 2020.

IF the rumors are true of an impending PS5 reveal then that timing lines up.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about PS5 date was discussed on the Q&A. An analyst on Twitter claims a Sony rep told him no PS5 for 12 months with no one else backing him up (unless someone knows otherwise?). The same person last year said John Kodera told him no PS5 for 3 years and other analysts called him out on it.

Sorry to be the pedant here but again no he didn't. The reporter stated that. There is no direct quote of Mark saying that. Clever Sony leaving things open....

And just to be clear here as I'm sure some will jump on me for not letting 2019 go. I already gave up on that. This is just about who said what (or not).
Eh, I'm with Mochizuki. Getting one thing wrong doesn't mean that he's not a very reputable journalist.

Not to mention if Sony is looking at releasing the PS5 in 2019, why on earth would they skip E3?

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
If that 1 journalist is the only source for no PS5 for the rest of this fiscal year and Sony hasn't been confirmed to say anything yet then I think that reopens the door to early 2020.

IF the rumors are true of an impending PS5 reveal then that timing lines up.
I just couldn't see it happening though. What about software? I do understand that the system is backwards compatible so technically you could get away with it, just release patches for new releases like TLOU 2, Death Stranding etc and third parties would be covered without having to port games over.

But I just can't see them being set up for it now, that'd mean the console would be out in just under 6 months and we still barely know anything about it. It's not like a console is a game with a 6 month hype cycle, it needs a decent amount of time to get into the public's eyes.

In short, it really doesn't make sense to me, sorry but i'm almost 100% certain it's not happening this year.

r0t

Banned
May 23, 2019
User banned (1 week): excessive hostility + account in junior phase
There's no way MS would make a cheaper console for mass market and omit a Blu-ray drive.

Also, Microsoft isn't going to compromise their GPU performance for Azure servers. Navi hasn't been mentioned, but nothing has been mentioned. You may well assume they'd use a 5400rpm HDD since they haven't talked about going the SSD route yet.

Additionally, there's the matter of mid-gen console refreshes. I'm not sure why you'd expect MS to either change GPU architecture mid gen or use a woefully outdated Vega GPU in say, 2024.
I still don't know why any hardware in 2019 ships with a damn disc drive. You guys are always 5 years behind. PC gamers have been downloading games to their hard drives with no problem.

Bubububb muh bandwidth. It's 2019. Internet is like electricity, if you have problems with it, find another hobby. If MS can shave another $15-20 off the cost of the Xbox to bump up the memory or storage capacity, I'd take the disc drive out back every day of the week.

The only time I've used a game disc this generation is when Halo: Reach came to back compat. My disc drive could have crapped out years ago and I wouldn't know or don't care. I even forgot the thing had a disc drive.

Consumers like me are the norm. No one buys anything these days with a disc drive in them. I'm sick of "basement gamers" holding consoles back with their niche complaints. Embrace the future. Nostalgia is nothing but embellishments of actual memories. It sucked that I had to blow into my NES cartridges to get the game to load. It sucked when my Dreamcast games had a scratch on the disc and I would know it was about to crash because the audio went out first. It sucked when I go to open a game case only to find out that the disc isn't there. When I find it a month later, it's scratched to hell and back and the game is unplayable.

Digital ownership is superior. I buy a game once and five years later its still mine. Never once did I have to "wait until a game downloaded." I buy a game when I'm at work and by the time I get home it's ready to play.

TLDR: Fuck disc drives and fuck the ass backwards gamers holding consoles back with ancient, inferior technology. Don't want to deal with that shit again this generation. All digital isn't just the future, it's the present reality everywhere else but console gamers who are still stuck in 1999.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I just couldn't see it happening though. What about software? I do understand that the system is backwards compatible so technically you could get away with it, just release patches for new releases like TLOU 2, Death Stranding etc and third parties would be covered without having to port games over.

But I just can't see them being set up for it now, that'd mean the console would be out in just under 6 months and we still barely know anything about it. It's not like a console is a game with a 6 month hype cycle, it needs a decent amount of time to get into the public's eyes.

In short, it really doesn't make sense to me, sorry but i'm almost 100% certain it's not happening this year.

I said early 2020, not late 2019. Early 2020 would give them roughly 9 months to market the console if a reveal happened in June

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
plus, they used an article instead of a controlled showcase to announce/introduce the machine....

"Hey guys, Sony here. Guess what. In 9 months you buy the PS5! SURPRISE! We didnt say anything at e3 or want any marketing build up a year before our release. We are trying something new and will just shadow drop it in your lap, k? thanks for understand. please be excite"

you're making yourself mad because the info you are given isn't what you want to accept. slap your forehead all you want, you're doing it to yourself bud!

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
plus, they used an article instead of a controlled showcase to announce/introduce the machine....

"Hey guys, Sony here. Guess what. In 9 months you buy the PS5! SURPRISE! We didnt say anything at e3 or want any marketing build up a year before our release. We are trying something new and will just shadow drop it in your lap, k? thanks for understand. please be excite"

you're making yourself mad because the info you are given isn't what you want to accept. slap your forehead all you want, you're doing it to yourself bud!

This aimed at me? If so I have no clue what you're talking about!?

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I said early 2020, not late 2019. Early 2020 would give them roughly 9 months to market the console if a reveal happened in June
Ah ok, early as in end of Q1?

Sure, bit more realistic but I think they need all the time they can get to prepare and market this thing.

E3 2020 should be like 2013 where we had an influx of next gen announcements, I know that E3 isn't relied upon as much anymore but it's still a massive event.

Gamerfather

Banned
May 27, 2019
The people that keep wishing that MS is going to use Vega just because of console bias is laughable. It's also laughable to think AMD made Navi just for Sony but the card is going on sale in July 1 year before the console is set to launch. I bet in 2 weeks this conversation is going to be very interesting.

The whole MS speculation has been weird for me. It seems obvious, based on product timelines, MS statements, and past history, that the MS solution is Zen3 + NextGen graphics.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
Lisa Su's Q&A leans to them getting sick of hearing about people claiming that Sony built Navi. I have hope on the RayTracing front. Can they develop a more efficient solution than NVIDIA?

The AMD rep said they were already developing RDNA (the architecture) before Sony came along. AMD could've still collaborated with Sony to make Navi (the product using RDNA).

Come to think of it, that AMD guy said that Arcturus is a chip or product, not an architecture. This could mean that if the MS using Arcturus rumors are true, then Arcturus could be a product of AMD's and MS "deep collaboration". Another GPU product, like Navi, based on RDNA. Since Navi is focused on gaming, Arcturus would most likely be focused on server use (and will also be used in the next Xbox). This would serve MS's idea of dual purpose GPU.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I still don't know why any hardware in 2019 ships with a damn disc drive. You guys are always 5 years behind. PC gamers have been downloading games to their hard drives with no problem.

Bubububb muh bandwidth. It's 2019. Internet is like electricity, if you have problems with it, find another hobby. If MS can shave another $15-20 off the cost of the Xbox to bump up the memory or storage capacity, I'd take the disc drive out back every day of the week.

The only time I've used a game disc this generation is when Halo: Reach came to back compat. My disc drive could have crapped out years ago and I wouldn't know or don't care. I even forgot the thing had a disc drive.

Consumers like me are the norm. No one buys anything these days with a disc drive in them. I'm sick of "basement gamers" holding consoles back with their niche complaints. Embrace the future. Nostalgia is nothing but embellishments of actual memories. It sucked that I had to blow into my NES cartridges to get the game to load. It sucked when my Dreamcast games had a scratch on the disc and I would know it was about to crash because the audio went out first. It sucked when I go to open a game case only to find out that the disc isn't there. When I find it a month later, it's scratched to hell and back and the game is unplayable.

Digital ownership is superior. I buy a game once and five years later its still mine. Never once did I have to "wait until a game downloaded." I buy a game when I'm at work and by the time I get home it's ready to play.

TLDR: Fuck disc drives and fuck the ass backwards gamers holding consoles back with ancient, inferior technology. Don't want to deal with that shit again this generation. All digital isn't just the future, it's the present reality everywhere else but console gamers who are still stuck in 1999.
This is the most ignorant post I have seen in a while... and I am someone that only buys digital now and would pick a disc driveless console over one with a disc in a heartbeat.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
The AMD rep said they were already developing RDNA (the architecture) before Sony came along. AMD could've still collaborated with Sony to make Navi (the product using RDNA).

Come to think of it, that AMD guy said that Arcturus is a chip or product, not an architecture. This could mean that if the MS using Arcturus rumors are true, then Arcturus could be a product of AMD's and MS "deep collaboration". Another GPU product, like Navi, based on RDNA. Since Navi is focused on gaming, Arcturus would most likely be focused on server use (and will also be used in the next Xbox). This would serve MS's idea of dual purpose GPU.

I really like the fact that they were more forceful in stating that RDNA as a platform is absolutely a unique architecture, not GCN.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I'm inclined to believe an insider claiming everything else is BS than putting out their own unique claim. The benefit of revealing early is that you can avoid it.

But hmqgg saying we found Arden but not clarifying is driving me mad.

I think it is chiplet. I think they can use Anaconda SOC in Cloud or into the console with two different memory configuration one in HBM2 for XCloud and in console with GDDR6.

Oct 27, 2017
Finally caught up on the thread... not gonna lie peeps, We took a few steps back in here. We gained some new info but the tone of the thread did regress a bit compared how we were in the run up to the keynote. Just wanna remind everyone that whatever platform they prefer, we don't need to downplay the other one and that there's still a lot more info to look forward to from both MS & Sony before we can be certain of anything.

I'm also gonna agree with Colbert that maybe we do need a separate thread for cb4K / native 4K because that is a discussion worth having... just not letting it dominate the discussion here.

On that note, i'm off to (finally) watch the AMD keynote for myself and do some Kremlinology on the Cerny mention & Lisa's & MS Lady's giggling.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Tinfoil hat on:

The leak Andromeda posted, suggesting lockhart runs on ~1000mhz vs the ~1600mhz for anaconda would fall in line with Buildzoid's suggestion that AMD lowered clocks on NAVI quite a bit to attain IPC and lower power consumption. Looking back at the rx line from AMD. 460, 470, and 480 all had clocks in a similar ballpark while their power varied from 2.2 to 5.8 Tflops. So for lockhart and anaconda having such a huge clock difference while using the same architecture is odd.

Calling it acturius doesn't change it's performance if it's Vega lol .but if at e3 they say "next gen customized Acturius gpu" and no mention of Navi then it's a customized Vega .which is highly unlikely due to big gains with Navi compared to Vega and MS wouldn't pass on that ,just cause reasons lol

Once NAVI releases and people start comparing it to vega at the same voltage/clocks, we'll probably see the gains aren't that great. From a marketing standpoint, it might hurt if MS go with it, from a performance standpoint there might not be a gap people expect.

:tin foil hat off

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I think it is chiplet. I think they can use Anaconda SOC in Cloud or into the console with two different memory configuration one in HBM2 for XCloud and in console with GDDR6.

That would be one way to do it. Question is whether IO is on GPU chiplet or by itself.
Didn't he mention argalus too?

Yes, and said no one has uncovered it yet. If Dante is the only dev kit for both, it will be really hard to unearth.
Note they're talking about the Xbox "E3 plan" leaks, not Xbox hw leaks.

Yes, I should have clarified. I'm just more inclined to believe people who hold back sharing info because it usually means they're trying to protect a source.

Tinfoil hat on:

The leak Andromeda posted, suggesting lockhart runs on ~1000mhz vs the ~1600mhz for anaconda would fall in line with Buildzoid's suggestion that AMD lowered clocks on NAVI quite a bit to attain IPC and lower power consumption. Looking back at the rx line from AMD. 460, 470, and 480 all had clocks in a similar ballpark while their power varied from 2.2 to 5.8 Tflops. So for lockhart and anaconda having such a huge clock difference while using the same architecture is odd.

Once NAVI releases and people start comparing it to vega at the same voltage/clocks, we'll probably see the gains aren't that great. From a marketing standpoint, it might hurt if MS go with it, from a performance standpoint there might not be a gap people expect.

:tin foil hat off

IPC as a metric is independent of clock rate (it is the independent variable). Unless you're saying the architecture targeting higher IPC necessitated pipelining the design such that it couldn't clock high, which is possible.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
reporter: I do feel like a lot of what we saw in the PlayStation 5 hinted at a lot of things you guys were working on. A big thing for them was no loading of levels. Was there anything in particular that could allow you to bring that to the PC market? PCI Express 4?

Su: PCIe 4 definitely helps. Things that Sony are doing, they've been very specific on their proprietary technologies.
Just circling back to this part of the interview... Lisa Su used the words "Proprietary technologies".

Proprietary technologies would be tech that Sony owns that no one else can use without consent/purchase/licenscing etc.

What's not clear here is if Sony's iteration of the Navi has some proprietary Sony tech built into it or if it's simply been customized to take advantage of Sony's tech. There's a world of difference between customization and inclusions of "proprietary technologies".

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
A 12 TF GPU with 24GB GDDR6 for PS5 or even NextBox seems like a pipe dream now, think it's gonna be 8TF for PS and 10 for Big Snek with 16GB RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.