• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
What is the speculation pertaining to CPU, especially cache? That 36MB for 8c|16T announcement blew me away. Of course we do not yet know the break down and apportionment.

Jaguar for comparison:
  • 32 KiB instruction + 32 KiB data L1 cache per core, L1 cache includes parity error detection
  • 16-way, 1–2 MiB unified L2 cache shared by two or four cores, L2 cache is protected from errors by the use of error correcting code

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Off topic, I learned a very hard lesson in 2014. You don't realize how much anxiety you are responsible for and are about to get in return when you pass off information you heard. It's so easy to be misled, misinformed, and make a honest mistake.

To this day I see posts curb stomping me. It hurts, but you are the one to blame. It's caused me so much anxiety over the years and even a sense of depression when I see guys like statham mock me. Or any of the guys just shit on my opinion because lol thuway.

And I hope Adored TV realizes that he has a huge responsibility to his viewers to admit he's wrong and take steps to insure that it won't happen again.

The guy is passionate and his analysis is great. Insider stuff is just a terrible deal - for any and everyone.

Honestly I think everyone would understand as long as someone owns their mistakes. Leaks are leaks. Not all of it is going to pan out. I questioned Adored's content because the tenor of his videos were always defensive. He doesn't have the disposition for it.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Leaks can also be true at the moment and then become false as plans changes or unforeseen challenges arises.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can you calculate TF if you don't know CU count?
thats exactly whats so frustrating about the gonzolo leak. everyone came at the 8 tflops figure based on the 1 ghz clockspeed for 64 CUs because it seemed obvious that sony would be able to put in a 64 CU GPU on a 7nm die. and yet when the next gonzolo leak said 1.8ghz, everyone conviniently ignored the 64 CU count they themselves had used to arrive at the 8 tflops number and now believe that we cant go over 40 CUs.

its bizarre if not inconsistent. i was team 8 tflops because the first gonzolo leak seemed consistent with the previous ps4 leaks. when the clockspeeds were increased, it only made sense to follow the same method we used to get to 8 tflops. which is how we get to the 14 tflops figure. even if you settle for 56 CUs at 1.8ghz, you get 12.9 and yet the same 8 tflops guys born from the ashes of the first gonzolo leak still remain conservative.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Welp, I dunno what's coming but I'm gonna sit here in the corner and still hold out hope for dual Navi GPU's via chiplets in the PS5 :)

I know it may seem silly but dag nabbit I want it!

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
Wh
Why not see what they can do with 120p while you're at it.
Not bad I say.
uncharted-4-photo-mode-filters-10.jpg

Feb 10, 2018
Oh most definitely UC4 was my top game out of all 4 and then Lost Legacy came and knocked it out of the park. I enjoyed 4 for the character interactions. LL was the better action game.

I didn't like the pacing off LL, the puzzles were quite fun and the scenery was stunning, but some of the combat sections were pretty cheap and anoying, the overall story was dull, I did like the interaction between chloe and nadine. Its was about an 8/10 but sometimes I hated it.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
thats exactly whats so frustrating about the gonzolo leak. everyone came at the 8 tflops figure based on the 1 ghz clockspeed for 64 CUs because it seemed obvious that sony would be able to put in a 64 CU GPU on a 7nm die. and yet when the next gonzolo leak said 1.8ghz, everyone conviniently ignored the 64 CU count they themselves had used to arrive at the 8 tflops number and now believe that we cant go over 40 CUs.

its bizarre if not inconsistent. i was team 8 tflops because the first gonzolo leak seemed consistent with the previous ps4 leaks. when the clockspeeds were increased, it only made sense to follow the same method we used to get to 8 tflops. which is how we get to the 14 tflops figure. even if you settle for 56 CUs at 1.8ghz, you get 12.9 and yet the same 8 tflops guys born from the ashes of the first gonzolo leak still remain conservative.

Team 8TF has always been some kind of inverse pipe dream where people go out of their way to believe the worst possible reality.

Like people really believe a next gen console, released > 2 years after the Xbox X, on a process size >2x as small, with a brand new GPU architecture, in consoles likely making a loss will be... 30% more powerful.

It has never made a lick of sense.

The idea that Sony or MS would be able to release an 8TF console with a straight face is laughable. It always has been.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Again, the only examples people latch onto when it comes to this subject is the few games where developers didn't bother maxing out a better platform. Way too many examples this generation of games running on 4K looking better than their checker board counterparts.

And it was also asked, why bother with next generation if all you are going to use is a half step solution created to deal with the problem where an under-powered console was trying to hit/mimic resolutions far above its capability?

I promised not to bog down the thread so I won't. But you again fundamentally don't understand what you're talking about.

You have demonstrated that in every single post you have made on this topic.

Your understanding of how rendering works and how CB relates to 4K is wrong and the arguments you present are disingenuous. Especially when you point to bad CB and say that's the way it has to be, then point to games that have great CB and dismiss it because those games "don't push the envelope" - you do realise you're talking absolute nonsense right? Like you claim DMC doesn't push the evenlope when every review agrees it's one of the best looking games ever and at 60fps to boot... Literally considered a technical showcase, but it "doesn't push the envelope" because that's what suits your agenda. I guess God of War and Horizon don't "push the envelope" either despite being acknowledged as some of the best looking games of the gen?

You can't just make stuff up and then present it as fact to "prove" your argument - like only games that "don't push the envelope" can have good CB. Patent nonsense.

You're concerned more with your agenda than reality and you're also completely ignorant of the actual technical aspects you're discussing to the point where you're literally just making up why some games have good CB and others don't. Not a good combo. And one that is not worth engaging with, or wasting anyone else's time in this thread with.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Team 8TF has always been some kind of inverse pipe dream where people go out of their way to believe the worst possible reality.

Like people really believe a next gen console, released > 2 years after the Xbox X, on a process size >2x as small, with a brand new GPU architecture, in consoles likely making a loss will be... 30% more powerful.

It has never made a lick of sense.

The idea that Sony or MS would be able to release an 8TF console with a straight face is laughable. It always has been.
But how ignore official amd statement that we can get 1.5x increase in perf for the same amount of power use? And usually this marketing slides show best case scenario...

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Add me to the excellent CB method camp over native 4K. Then ramp the visuals up!

Yup. While I think giving the players options are the best choice, I would rather have checkerboarding/30FPS with insane visuals over anything else. Of course giving the option of 60FPS and lower graphics for gamers that prefer that would be great as well. Hopefully developers will embrace graphics fidelity while still giving options/control to the gamers for their own preferences.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I promised not to bog down the thread so I won't. But you again fundamentally don't understand what you're talking about.

You have demonstrated that in every single post you have made on this topic.

Your understanding of how rendering works and how CB relates to 4K is wrong and the arguments you present are disingenuous. Especially when you point to bad CB and say that's the way it has to be, then point to games that have great CB and dismiss it because those games "don't push the envelope" - you do realise you're talking absolute nonsense right? Like you claim DMC doesn't push the evenlope when every review agrees it's one of the best looking games ever and at 60fps to boot... Literally considered a technical showcase, but it "doesn't push the envelope" because that's what suits your agenda. I guess God of War and Horizon don't "push the envelope" either despite being acknowledged as some of the best looking games of the gen?

You can't just make stuff up and then present it as fact to "prove" your argument - like only games that "don't push the envelope" can have good CB. Patent nonsense.

You're concerned more with your agenda than reality and you're also completely ignorant of the actual technical aspects you're discussing to the point where you're literally just making up why some games have good CB and others don't. Not a good combo. And one that is not worth engaging with, or wasting anyone else's time in this thread with.
You need to chill, considering you have stated that legacy consoles are capable of outputting 4K.......that is the level of madness you espouse.

CB4K does not exist in a vacuum, it is a solution to get around a lack of enough frame buffer on the PS4 Pro. If that problem was not there, you would not see that implementation, just the same way you would not be seeing funny resolutions like 900p or dynamic resolutions on the base Xbox One/S/SAD consoles.

I also asked something that has not been answered, what is the extra power going to go towards and who is going to be pushing it? Sony is unlikely to push CB, neither is Microsoft. That leaves you with third parties, and if they start high and port down with tools getting vastly better and the porting process getting way easier, then this thought process is as dead as a dodo.

Finally, going by history, most games are not going to push 60fps outside the fighting games and racing games (mainly sims) because most developers have rarely found a need to do that. You have this idea of where you want CB rendering to go, and that is fine, but don't let that feed into the agenda that it is the golden arch that will revolutionize gaming. If there is a 4K framebuffer, and then a bit more to spare, developers will push for 4K graphics and high resolutions are what developers push each and every generation where they can. CB, dynamic res, sub HD/UHD stuff are all implementations to deal with a problem.......a problem that may not be there in next generation consoles or is highly unlikely.

And guess what, games like God of War/Horizon Zero Dawn look great, but nothing, absolutely nothing beats a 4K game in terms of how great and crisp it looks, and I would know because I game on a 65'' 4K set.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
You need to chill, considering you have stated that legacy consoles are capable of outputting 4K.......that is the level of madness you espouse.

CB4K does not exist in a vacuum, it is a solution to get around a lack of enough frame buffer on the PS4 Pro. If that problem was not there, you would not see that implementation, just the same way you would not be seeing funny resolutions like 900p or dynamic resolutions on the base Xbox One/S/SAD consoles.

I also asked something that has not been answered, what is the extra power going to go towards and who is going to be pushing it? Sony is unlikely to push CB, neither is Microsoft. That leaves you with third parties, and if they start high and port down with tools getting vastly better and the porting process getting way easier, then this thought process is as dead as a dodo.

Finally, going by history, most games are not going to push 60fps outside the fighting games and racing games (mainly sims) because most developers have rarely found a need to do that. You have this idea of where you want CB rendering to go, and that is fine, but don't let that feed into the agenda that it is the golden arch that will revolutionize gaming. If there is a 4K framebuffer, and then a bit more to spare, developers will push for 4K graphics and high resolutions are what developers push each and every generation where they can. CB, dynamic res, sub HD/UHD stuff are all implementations to deal with a problem.......a problem that may not be there in next generation consoles or is highly unlikely.

And guess what, games like God of War/Horizon Zero Dawn look great, but nothing, absolutely nothing beats a 4K game in terms of how great and crisp it looks, and I would know because I game on a 65'' 4K set.

Good lord.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Add me to the excellent CB method camp over native 4K. Then ramp the visuals up!
100%. i will take a hit on those "highest quality pixels" to get significantly more impressive looking games.

Wow.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the first sub native 4k game on next gen consoles (be it improved with cbr, dynamic resolution, etc) would cause as much as a commotion as when people found out Killzone: Shadowfall's multiplayer wasnt native 1080p.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018

And you start with a "you need to chill"...

Btw, CB is here to stay.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I wonder if the first sub native 4k game on next gen consoles (be it improved with cbr, dynamic resolution, etc) would cause as much as a commotion as when people found out Killzone: Shadowfall's multiplayer wasnt native 1080p.
Only like 1% of people are even aware of the resolution games uses, you only see those reactions from forum posters.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Edit: Actually, I agree that crisp is a good way to describe true 4k. However I disagree with the notion that nothing can compare to 4k. 60fps and general art/visual design carry plenty of weight - enough to warrant CBR if required.

Feb 26, 2018
I can see millions of gamers rising up to battle this. Obviously everyone got a 65" 4K set to see how bad CB is

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Edit: Actually, I agree that crisp is a good way to describe true 4k. However I disagree with the notion that nothing can compare to 4k. 60fps and general art/visual design carry plenty of weight - enough to warrant CBR if required.
Yea that is the point, as long as the developer "justifies" the usage of a lower resolution with significantly more complex looking/using higher framerates, people wont have a problem with that. Nobody complains about the resolution of horizon, god of war, spiderman etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.