• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know how I could ever stop thinking about it when this exact thing keeps getting posted over and over as justification for a rumor that came from nowhere and is being pushed REALLY hard on this thread with no actual evidence. XD. I mean, sure Vega could happen. But you know what? Jaguar COULD happen. MS hasn't specifically debunked that rumor, so FOR ALL WE KNOW. Personally, I think they're going back to the Pentiums on the CPU side. They used on in the Surface Go last year, so it's basically confirmed.

/s. Hard /s

At the end of the day, the hardware will be great on both sides of the divide. In our wild speculations, let's at least try to keep some semblance of being grounded in what little we know. Postulating that MS is trying to do this, so therefore they need this, because of this tenuous link, thus there is no other solution except this.. is all about as flimsy of argumentation as we can get. Trying to justify that conclusion with imagined evidence is just silly. Even if it were true, it would have been a dumb way to get there :/

I get the frustration, but I can also see why he wouldn't understand what you meant from what you said. I think most people here aren't trying to intentionally misrepresent you for what it's worth, but things are getting lost in translation and/or obviously lots of people fundamentally disagree with the assumptions you are making (and vice versa). Eh. Disagreements don't necessarily come from bad faith. Perhaps one day we will all understand each other and be happy. Hope springs eternal..

Then.. *boom* nuke of discord

I disagree. RT is fundamentally bounce computation. What's computationally intensive is calculating all the bounces it takes and then doing the filtering on that. So, what if you just did one bounce for all lighting locally? That would get you most of the way there - more than usable at least. If the bounce lighting is 2 frames behind or slightly noisy when you spin at high speed, I wouldn't call that "completely falling apart".

To be clear, I don't know if this tech is actually possible or exists. We certainly don't have the evidence for this working in this specific way, so I wouldn't pretend that this is confirmed or even likely in any way. But I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with this line of thinking. Put the critical tasks on the local machine, supplement it with cloud computation. You're not wrong to be skeptical though.
the only reason i have tendency to believe MS went with vega is that leaks for PS5 said its clocked at 1850 MHZ(which at the time sounded insane) and Dante dev kit at 1410 MHZ(already pushed to the max apparently based on the leak) . this to me means one is vega and one is navi given what we know today after amd computex.

it could also mean that MS dev kit is only on vega and final product will be navi.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Am i the only one that feels... weirdly complete that we are getting a new gpu architecture rather than GCN? I mean how we move from one major GPU architecture this gen to another one next gen... just feels right lol.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
i think you are being facetious on purpose now. i didnt say it will be 16 tflops, i said that a 12 tflops navi gpu would have performance equivalent to a 16 tflops vega gpu based on the 25% performance per clock boost they talked about. it's actually fairly simple math. nothing insane about it. i actually got the math wrong. 25% of 12tflops would be 3 tflops so we are looking at 15 tflops of 'equivalent performance'. i literally pointed that out in my post.

as for what they were comparing it to, it was obviously being compared to GCN. they even mentioned that in the press release. they tested 30 games to get that performance per clock number.

happy?

lastly, i really dont see why in a speculation thread, we cant be optimistic about something without being labeled insane. we are literally discussing power of the cloud 2.0, ms using vega, 8 tflops ps5 among other equally pessimistic numbers and yet the moment people start being optimistic about 12-14 tflops based on actual numbers provided by AMD, they have gone too far. i dont get it.
It's clearly a troll at this point. I wouldn't bother.

Great write ups tho, very concise and easy to understand math. Thank you, and cheers ;)

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Watching the conference now, Lisa says on stage that Mark Cerny is looking to revolutionize the new console ERA. Maybe it's just PR speak but sounds good.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Am i the only one that feels... weirdly complete that we are getting a new gpu architecture rather than GCN? I mean how we move from one major GPU architecture this gen to another one next gen... just feels right lol.

Not the only one. New CPU arch, new generational leap in GPU arch. Feels. Right.

There was worry that this gen wouldn't be a huge leap. I think we can safely say that it will be, in so many ways. Vastly better CPU, GPU but also I/O with these fast SSDs.

The new consoles are gonna be wild. Fingers crossed we're getting 24Gb RAM to fuel these monster chips...

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
If you don't know where the 12.9tf and 14.2tf numbers are coming from and the leaks we're discussing, frankly you have no business in this discussion until you do some reading of your own in this thread.

Just saying.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not being facetious and I totally understood your point. And you recognized yourself your own wrong: A 12Tflops navi part doesn't translate to 16tflops of VEGA based on what we saw. It's such a "fairly simple math" that you got over carried with it and got it wrong.

Of course it was being compared to GCN. But you also know that GCN, even if you take VEGA only, has either Radeon VII or VEGA 64 to compare with. Hence why I'm telling you "Maybe you should wait for concrete numbers first, aka benchmarks, to verify these claims instead of jumping and multiplying stuff as a one and only rule".

are you saying that calculating 25% of 12 isnt simple? you said its some kind of insane calculation. me getting it wrong at 4 in the morning doesnt mean its not simple math and it certainly doesnt mean your dismissal of people being optimisitic wasn't wrong.

yousaid they never specified what the benchmarks were compared against so dont pretend you knew it was GCN.
Right but you know neither the point of comparison (they never specified compared to what) nor anything like it.
you said no numbers were given for thermals when there AMD literally gave us the 1.5x performance per watt number.
Nothing in today's conference lead to higher numbers though. I dont recall we had numbers for the GPU shown. Neither the thermals, core configuration nor clockspeed.

you have gone out out of your way to dismiss speculation in a speculation thread by calling it crazy and insane even though for the first time in this thread, we are finally using actual performance metrics to come up with these numbers.
Because people are going crazy over a bunch of nothing and make calculations based on nothing too.

the worst part of it all is how you have conducted yourself. you have moved goalposts when people went out of their way to give you links, pics and quotes directly from the press release you claimed to re-read. you purposefully misconstrued my comment about performance being equivalent to 16 tflops. and then you went out of your way to mock my mistake in calculating 25% in not one but two posts even though you didnt catch it in the first place until i pointed it out myself. you went out of your way to call speculation insane and crazy as posted above and i just went the last two pages.

just shitty behavior all around. especially from a verified member.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
If you don't know where the 12.9tf and 14.2tf numbers are coming from and the leaks we're discussing, frankly you have no business in this discussion until you do some reading of your own in this thread.

Just saying.
You're responding (I assume) to a person who is one of the top posters in this thread XD lol. The irony..

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Good morning everyone!
Just woke up and had to read up for the NAVI part of the AMD keynote. Zen 2 still a todo.

COMPUTEX_KEYNOTE_DRAFT_FOR_PREBRIEF.26.05.19-page-011_575px.jpg

RNDA is indeed a welcome surprise. I am glad that the GCN rumors were false. As we don't know yet how the GPU architecture is organized is too early to say more but the numbers look promising. If one of their middle segment GPUs can beat a RTX 2070 is a good sign. How to judge about it though is a matter of the information that we will get at E3. It will be a long two weeks LOL

Honestly AMD did absolutely fantastic with the keynote today

GPU and CPU tech both seem to be in an EXCELLENT place not to mention a new architecture and SSDs. Just awesome

Next gen is really gonna be something else. I remember so many people being worried next gen wouldn't feel like a big leap after Xbox One X and Pro but it's going to be fucking amazing
Agree. Best AMD presser in a long long time.

Colbert is going to have a busy day tomorrow with new updates to his previously meticulously crafted charts.
Nah, the only thing what I really have to change is to get rid of CUs as this is a thing of the past now. For my prediction I will only use stream processors for future releases of my prediction. I think the ECC vote is spot on, so I will go from there. So I really does not have to change a lot. For me the numbers in efficiency gains only confirms what I was already thinking. The updated version looks like this:

qcWt4yr.png

12.9tf never seemed so close, eh Colbert?

The opposite is the case imo - a general message to those going crazy with high computational power numbers!

Looking at those numbers in efficiency gains I see that Sony and MS doesn't need to pull out those TF numbers as they have a 25% performance gain per clock which is even above what I had expected (15%). So I think I even have to reduce my prediction on the upper bound. I still hear the words of Lisa Su: "We like small". This also allows to better control power consumption and TDP for the consoles, so they can save on the cooling front and have a more "green" solution for the living room with a small form factor. Not an unimportant feat in the times we live in.

We will find out at E3 how much of how I think about will materialize as true. As mentioned above 2 more weeks of waiting ...

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Just saying.

I know where these figures come from. I'm just saying none of the stuff shown at Computex leads to one or another specifically. Solely based on what we saw.

are you saying that calculating 25% of 12 isnt simple? you said its some kind of insane calculation. me getting it wrong at 4 in the morning doesnt mean its not simple math and it certainly doesnt mean your dismissal of people being optimisitic wasn't wrong.

yousaid they never specified what the benchmarks were compared against so dont pretend you knew it was GCN.

you said no numbers were given for thermals when there AMD literally gave us the 1.5x performance per watt number.

you have gone out out of your way to dismiss speculation in a speculation thread by calling it crazy and insane even though for the first time in this thread, we are finally using actual performance metrics to come up with these numbers.

the worst part of it all is how you have conducted yourself. you have moved goalposts when people went out of their way to give you links, pics and quotes directly from the press release you claimed to re-read. you purposefully misconstrued my comment about performance being equivalent to 16 tflops. and then you went out of your way to mock my mistake in calculating 25% in not one but two posts even though you didnt catch it in the first place until i pointed it out myself. you went out of your way to call speculation insane and crazy as posted above and i just went the last two pages.

Insane calculations as you're basically multiplying things without context. Also for the record:
I'm not seeking to mock you or anything. Yes, I noticed your figure being wrong, hence why I said you're being carried away. But in no way I meant to mock you, I was specifically replying to you saying "it's a simple math" because it was basically implying that, it's so easy that contradict it either means I'm of bad faith or just not competent enough to process it.

I said they never specified what the benchmarks were compared against, as in WHICH GAMES were compared, which is important. Of course it was GCN. Do you really think I was believing they were comparing it to VLIW4 ? Nah. And on top of GCN, yes, it was obviously VEGA since they said VEGA.

What we don't know though is: Which VEGA GPU (one is on a 14nm node and the other is on a 7nm node).

Yes, we have no thermal figures. AMD gave us a 1.5x performance per watt indeed. Compared to which VEGA ? And lastly, it doesn't give us any indications about clocks nor temperatures.

I'm calling the current speculation going crazy because I'm reading people talking about 12 cores in the next xbox, 16tflops VEGA equivalent (for the record, Radeon VII is 13tflops. That'd mean slighty less than 25% faster than Radeon VII. That'd mean faster than RTX 2080 and even close to RTX 2080ti. Now do you understand why I'm saying it's going into crazy territories ?

For the record, I'm not making fun of you nor anything. I'm just saying you're multiplying things without context and that, maybe, it doesn't work like this.

(Also, I'm not a verified member)

Last edited:

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Next gen is going to be lovely regardless of your platform preference, that much is pretty obvious! This thread is an absolute clusterfuck of known "warriors" trying to push their agendas. I'd be up for a reset of this thread and start a new one now we have quite a bit of information to work with.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017

I don't think this dude is verified. Just using an avatar he made on mspaint.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Good morning everyone!
Just woke up and had to read up for the NAVI part of the AMD keynote. Zen 2 still a todo.

RNDA is indeed a welcome surprise. I am glad that the GCN rumors were false. As we don't know yet how the GPU architecture is organized is too early to say more but the numbers look promising. If one of their middle segment GPUs can beat a RTX 2070 is a good sign. How to judge about it though is a matter of the information that we will get at E3. It will be a long two weeks LOL

Nah, the only thing what I really have to change is to get rid of CUs as this is a thing of the past now. For my prediction I will only use stream processors for future releases of my prediction. I think the ECC vote is spot on, so I will go from there. So I really does not have to change a lot. For me the numbers in efficiency gains only confirms what I was already thinking. The updated version looks like this:

FUa1zYj.png

The opposite is the case imo - a general message to those going crazy with high computational power numbers!

Looking at those numbers in efficiency gains I see that Sony and MS doesn't need to pull out those TF numbers as they a 25% performance gain per clock which is even above what I had expected (15%). So I think I even have to reduce my prediction on the upper bound. I still hear the words of Lisa Su: "We like small". This also allows to better control power consumption and TDP for the consoles, so they can save on the cooling front and have a more "green" solution for the living room with a small form factor.

We will find out at E3 how much how I think about will materialize as true.
Seems like our joke of navi being much more efficient ended up being true haha, but that is for the better as everything they talked about sounds good for consoles.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Good morning everyone!

FUa1zYj.png

Looking at those numbers in efficiency gains I see that Sony and MS doesn't need to pull out those TF numbers as they a 25% performance gain per clock which is even above what I had expected (15%). So I think I even have to reduce my prediction on the upper bound. I still hear the words of Lisa Su: "We like small". This also allows to better control power consumption and TDP for the consoles, so they can save on the cooling front and have a more "green" solution for the living room with a small form factor. Not an unimportant feat in the times we live in.

We will find out at E3 how much of how I think about will materialize as true. As mentioned above 2 more weeks of waiting ...

At last, common sense.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not the only one. New CPU arch, new generational leap in GPU arch. Feels. Right.

There was worry that this gen wouldn't be a huge leap. I think we can safely say that it will be, in so many ways. Vastly better CPU, GPU but also I/O with these fast SSDs.

The new consoles are gonna be wild. Fingers crossed we're getting 24Gb RAM to fuel these monster chips...
to me, the biggest holy shit moment of the conference was the benchmark demo they ran comparing a Zen 2 CPU with a Navi GPU to an intel 9700k and a RTX 2080ti. the 2080ti could only manage 14 fps while the Navi paired with Zen 2 and whatever the hell PCIE4 is was able to do 24 fps.

do we know if the ps5 and xbox two will have PCIE4? what is it anyway?

Feb 10, 2018
Next gen is going to be lovely regardless of your platform preference, that much is pretty obvious! This thread is an absolute clusterfuck of known "warriors" trying to push their agendas. I'd be up for a reset of this thread and start a new one now we have quite a bit of information to work with.

Yes a purely technical discussion with system waring not allowed.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
14.2 can be a dev kit and final numbers subject to change as sony monitors yields as they get closer to production starting

And for area estimates with a new arch confirmed we should be careful about making assumptions based on GCN CU sizes.

Still not convinced about RT hardware - seems a waste of die area and doesn't provide flexibility for developers to choose how to leverage that hardware if it's fixed function. My feeling is either marketing speak and the CUs can do 'ray' tracing (which feels in line with them swerving the talk of RT to talk about audio rays too - dilutes the conversation away from pure RT HW). Or they have some customisations in the CUs that provides some benefit when doing RT calculations but that is down to the developer to choose to lose regular compute capacity to do that. Least likely is some dedicated RT hardware on the die - unless it can also be used for other things. Eg a compute block that can be used for RT, 3d audio, maybe asset decompression alongside the SSD - some kind of multirole capability to justify taking up area

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
to me, the biggest holy shit moment of the conference was the benchmark demo they ran comparing a Zen 2 CPU with a Navi GPU to an intel 9700k and a RTX 2080ti. the 2080ti could only manage 14 fps while the Navi paired with Zen 2 and whatever the hell PCIE4 is was able to do 24 fps.

do we know if the ps5 and xbox two will have PCIE4? what is it anyway?

Dont read too much into these PCIE figures. It doesn't make a lot of difference for gaming. Like, really:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Dont read too much into these PCIE figures. It doesn't make a lot of difference for gaming. Like, really:
It doesnt make much of a difference because games are designed around a slow HDD. Next gen the baseline of storage bandwidth is much higher and so will it dramatically effect game performance.
Okay, sorry for misunderstanding your comment LOL. Still not fully awake.
I am still like this ...

giphy.gif
Be happy that your biological clock did not wake you up in 5:40 am exactly when the navi section started lol.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It doesnt make much of a difference because games are designed around a slow HDD. Next gen the baseline of storage bandwidth is much higher and so will it dramatically effect game performance.

It wouldn't work this way. Otherwise the bottleneck here would be the HDD. And going with an SSD would improve dramatically the framerate. Games designed around a slow HDD would at best mean "it's not going to load that much more assets".

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
So if I have this right, we're now expecting next-gen consoles to be a little less powerful than a Vega 64 (based on the Strange Brigade demo)?

Is the talk of teraflops even useful if not all teraflops are equal (nVidia getting better results at same number of teraflops and Navi hopefully too)?

FacesAndAces

Chicken Chaser
Avenger
Dec 9, 2017
So if I have this right, we're now expecting next-gen consoles to be a little less powerful than a Vega 64 (based on the Strange Brigade demo)?

Is the talk of teraflops even useful if not all teraflops are equal (nVidia getting better results at same number of teraflops and Navi hopefully too)?

If they go with this model of GPU, and considering AMD's flagships are usually the x800/x900 thereby placing the 5700 series in the mid-range, then it's safe to say PS5 with be within 10%+- of an RTX 2070.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

The navi chip releasing in july are the mid range navi 12 cards, PS5 is based off navi 10, which is larger than the navi 12

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
guy again i ask. now 1850 MHZ dosnt seem too crazy for consoles. at the time the leak came out it sounded insane and hence called fake . do we think that rumor has more credibility now ?along with gonzalo APU?

Jan 2, 2018
I can't help myself but being very optimstic about next gen after AMD's keynote.

It looks like the PS5 is going to have an underclocked Ryzen 3700X inside it minus logic die area that a standard PC cpu requires. We are talking about 9700k level of performance in a console. Insane.

Navi is new architecture. That I did not see coming I'll admit and it's awesome.
I won't go into the TF wars but suffice to say I think the GPU jump is going to be larger than we expected a day ago (:

The customize Sony SSD solution has a good chance to be a complete game changer that no one really saw coming and solving one of biggest bottlenecks of the past few years.

RAM will probably won't be limit developers as well,as I saw little to no complaints on the amount of it this gen.

Hell,even audio seems to be getting more focus this time,at least from Sony as of now.

I feel like there's really big focus to minimize bottlenecks next gen instead of brute force,not saying that PS5/Anaconda won't be powerful ,but also much more balanced machines.

Next gen is going to be great,both Sony and MS got a 1.5 years to grow their ecosystems with needed features and be ready for a seamless transition to next gen.
Developers also have their engines ready and probably won't have to do a massive overhaul to scale them up to the new hardware that is much more similar this time compare to this gen to last gen.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
guy again i ask. now 1850 MHZ dosnt seem too crazy for consoles. at the time the leak came out it sounded insane and hence called fake . do we think that rumor has more credibility now ?along with gonzalo APU?

By itself, a 1850mhz figure doesn't sound crazy depending on a lot of factors, namely:
-Where your typical Navi GPU is sitting in term of clockspeed.
-The core configuration.

I can't help myself but being very optimstic about next gen after AMD's keynote.

It looks like the PS5 is going to have an underclocked Ryzen 3700X inside it minus logic die area that a standard PC cpu requires. We are talking about 9700k level of performance in a console. Insane.

Navi is new architecture. That I did not see coming I'll admit and it's awesome.
I won't go into the TF wars but suffice to say I think the GPU jump is going to be larger than we expected a day ago (:

The customize Sony SSD solution has a good chance to be a complete game changer that no one really saw coming and solving one of biggest bottlenecks of the past few years.

RAM will probably won't be limit developers as well,as I saw little to no complaints on the amount of it this gen.

Hell,even audio seems to be getting more focus this time,at least from Sony as of now.

I feel like there's really big focus to minimize bottlenecks next gen instead of brute force,not saying that PS5/Anaconda won't be powerful ,but also much more balanced machines.

Next gen is going to be great,both Sony and MS got a 1.5 years to grow their ecosystems with needed features and be ready for a seamless transition to next gen.
Developers also have their engines ready and probably won't have to do a massive overhaul to scale them up to the new hardware that is much more similar this time compare to this gen to last gen.

Downclocked though, you're not getting 9700k level of performance. That's to keep in mind 9700k can boost up ot 4.9Ghz, usually sitting in the 4.6Ghz range. But even then, it should offer a huge jump over jaguar.

As for audio, I'd remain cautious on that part. We already had an audio focus with PS4, namely with TrueAudio being implemented into PS4's GPU.

Last edited:

FacesAndAces

Chicken Chaser
Avenger
Dec 9, 2017

It's more likely now, yes. Lisa went on stage and called RDNA -- Navi's new architecture -- very clockspeed friendly. Does this mean it can hit 1.85Ghz? Maybe, but who can say for certain?

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Part 2 of my comments about AMD's keynote:

Just watched the part about AMD & Microsoft partnership which seems to be deeper than anticipated hearing about joint engineering facilities already in place. I wonder what that could mean for Xbox next gen consoles. IMO it is at least fair to say that those silly VEGA for Xbox next gen consoles discussionas can put to rest now. Would appreciate it.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

Gonazalo has always been real. The same methodology uncovered the PS4 APU.

The question was whether there was some bizarre way that the 1800Mhz GPU was misreported or misidentified because it seemed crazy fast.

Having AMD confirming that the new arch was developed with a focus on pushing clocks makes it not crazy at all... So basically the one thing that made the rumour not completely credible turns out to be actually likely. Which if anything makes it more likely to be true - after all if a rumour has something wild that everyone doubts that is later confirmed it makes it far more likely to be accurate than someone just telling everyone what they already know and/or suspect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.