• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like komachii doesnt believe the rumors
Well to be honest the rumors (from all the sources, not only from AdoredTV) about Navi are all over the place for months now.

The only thing I know for sure is that Navi was scheduled from AMD to launch in 2018 and we still expecting the cards.

They had issues, they had delays and as result again they are trying to catch up with Nvidia.

If we are lucky enough and Navi is at least somewhat competitive then Nvidia could drop the prices of RTX cards (as Jim mentions may happen in his latest video).

Maybe best case scenario is Navi to have good raw performance even without ray tracing or good efficiency in comparison to Nvidia GPUs.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
500GB SSD would be just dissapointing :(. I just need more space and what to think about the boys and girls who are going full digital.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure what the overconfidence comments come from.

You may get the impressions that RT is just another feature set implementation (ala 16-tap anisotropic filtering, for example) to create in a $499 console, without any mention of the tech being available for PCs first, but ok. How far behind is AMD cmopared to Nvidia?? Have they any board that is beefy enough to outrun the 2080Ti tech?

If the board does support RT, which feature do you think will make it across every game coming out in nex-gen? AO/GI, reflections, or RT shadows? I'd love to hear how even common rasterized features (i.e. an actual hair solution, displacement mapping, dynamic tessellation, more than one shadow-casting light, etc..) are a "sure" thing. Is Sony/MS supposed to just make a system that'll last another 7yrs in one fail swoop when they failed miserably with the tech they have now? Are you THAT confident that the PS5s GPU will rival or be more powerful than 2080Ti?? @ $499???
This post is hilarious. Thanks for the laughs. :D

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo

Seems like komachi doesnt believe the rumors

THANK-YOU-ONE-PERSON.gif

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Folks would rather believe the doom and gloom rumors though.
Not rather, but AMD has a horrible track record with their GPU division since years.
So it would be just one more believable disappointment.
If it wasn't for their great Zen CPUs and and mining, we would still fear bankruptcy. And I say that as a very happy retail AMD investor.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
500GB SSD would be just dissapointing :(. I just need more space and what to think about the boys and girls who are going full digital.

I'm sure it will be a super fast 256Gb SSD on the board with a normal 2Tb or so HDD.

There is no way to have super fast SSD *and* high capacity. You need to pick one. And with next gen games likely being 100Gb+ (already some current gen games are) there is no point in shipping with a small capacity SSD.

Standard HDD with a super fast SSD drive developers can use like a slow RAM cache is the best of both worlds, and opening up direct dev access like RAM would probably actually yield better results than just a normal SSD (likely what Cerny was talking about with it being better than SSDs currently out).

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly believe that the rumor about AMD assigning a lot of manpower to work with Sony's console to be true.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it's still AMD NAVI, i don't see a situation where the gpu in the ps5 is better for pure gaming than the desktop variant. At the end of the day, navi is navi
At least AMD wont be fucking up one of their biggest clients. Yeah sure, they gain more profit per GPU compared to console sales, but 94 million + $100 (which is what analysts think AMD gets per console sold) is nothing to sneeze at.

The crytocurrency craze is dying anyway, so that would be a problem for them in the long run.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Just looked at the poll for the first time in a while. There's more people that believe in 14 TF than 10? What the hell people? 10 isn't even "unreasonably" low

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Just looked at the poll for the first time in a while. There's more people that believe in 14 TF than 10? What the hell people? 10 isn't even "unreasonably" low
people just dont understand tech. they want to belive a apu can compete with high end descrete hardware. I still think 10, and I dont think 14 is possible with navi on a apu.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
At least AMD wont be fucking up one of their biggest clients. Yeah sure, they gain more profit per GPU compared to console sales, but 94 million + $100 (which is what analysts think AMD gets per console sold) is nothing to sneeze at.

What? $100 per console? I don't think so. Isn't revenue for AMD's entire Semi-Custom portfolio like $500 million a year? ETA: per quarter

I have no idea what to believe anymore

All according to plan?

As for the daily TF roller coaster I'm not too fussed as I still believe both next-gen consoles will fall into my 10-12TF estimate. It would just be nice for the drama to be over.....

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

10 would be pretty meh, it's less than 6x the PS4 after 7 years with an especially large resolution jump taking up lots of that power if they decide to do native 4K for marketing reasons. The SSD and Zen2 CPU will still make for a big leap, but yeah.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
It helps AMD, and can be a good explanation why Navi's development is as delayed as it is.
It doesn't makes any sense for AMD (or even Sony) to delay Navi.

Navi is delayed because AMD GPU department is having issues for many years now.

And if Navi was not so much behind schedule AMD would working full time on next gen architecture by now. They could even have the next gen architecture ready for next gen consoles. Why AMD or Sony would not want that?

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
10 would be pretty meh, it's less than 6x the PS4 after 7 years with an especially large resolution jump taking up lots of that power if they decide to do native 4K for marketing reasons. The SSD and Zen2 CPU will still make for a big leap, but yeah.
Keep in mind 10TF shouldn't be like 10TF in 2013 if you understand what I mean. But I perfectly understand the disappointment. I'm in the same boat. I'm fine to what sony will propose in the end but I can't deny a 10TF after all the chats by Cerny about 8TF as the minimum for the ps4 grafic at native 4k...it seems almost they shot in their own foot.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
At least AMD wont be fucking up one of their biggest clients.

depends. clients might have been happy with the early numbers amd saw with the navi samples but if the recent rumors of the chipset being a nightmare and failing to hit targets without running lava hot when scaling up that's going to leave a sour taste. again if the rumor is true we could see a downgrade from the targeted console specs due to amds chip being crap.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Keep expectations realistic folks...Look at the bigger picture, not just a TF figure...These new machines are the sum of all parts.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Keep in mind 10TF shouldn't be like 10TF in 2013 if you understand what I mean. But I perfectly understand the disappointment. I'm in the same boat. I'm fine to what sony will propose in the end but I can't deny a 10TF after all the chats by Cerny about 8TF as the minimum for the ps4 grafic at native 4k...it seems almost they shot in their own foot.

You're right, but I'm comparing it more to previous jumps. From what I understand the PS3 GPU had 192GF, so the PS4 brought a nearly 10x improvement at a much lower price even before you take into account architectural improvements (though this is countered by a much tinier CPU improvement). Maybe this time we're getting the reverse in a way. I was hoping more for this next generation to see a big boost in everything, with the 'catch' being a pricier console (still effectively the same price when you trade in your current console) sold at a heavier loss due to both divisions being in better shape.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Well the good thing about "bad rumors" like we have from the AdoredTV video is that atleast people are not increasing their expectations on a daily basis based on groundless reddit rumors or else we would be at 16core/32threads Zen2 5GHZ CPU coupled with a 64CU 2GHZ 15TFLOPS Navi GPU and a 2TB NVMe SSD and 64GB of RAM in a 499$ console before 2020.

Also I don't think 10TF is disappointing or "shooting in your own foot", but I don't give much weight to leaks/rumors that show a console GPU at 13TF or so.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't makes any sense for AMD (or even Sony) to delay Navi.

Navi is delayed because AMD GPU department is having issues for many years now.

And if Navi was not so much behind schedule AMD would working full time on next gen architecture by now. They could even have the next gen architecture ready for next gen consoles. Why AMD or Sony would not want that?
That's not what I meant.

Navi was having issues, and Sony requested help from AMD to get the console version up to speed.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Keep expectations realistic folks...Look at the bigger picture, not just a TF figure...These new machines are the sum of all parts.

Yup. A lot of people here are firmly stuck in the TFlop war though and that won't change until Sony/MS use other metrics to measure performance/how big their penis is.

I'm still in the 12TF camp though. lol

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017

Outside of PS4/XBO developed-games, there won't be many native 4K games. Period.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Machines? Sum? Parts? The?

*thinking*...

So next gen consoles to have expandable hardware? Yay! I can't wait to load more RAM into my PS5! :)

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we will have more info about microsoft next month, i wonder if sony will reveal more stuff too or only by the end of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.