• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hmmm, I do wonder... IF Sony did have a large hand in helping with Navi then I wonder if the issues could be related to any specific features they needed added to it or if it's something else.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah..if Navi indeed turns out to be shit and with it the next-gen consoles, I'll definitely build the PC for multiplats. Probably still gonna buy a PS5 for the exclusives though.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps the GPU decompression hmqgg posted about?

At first, I thought this "secret sauce" comment shouldn't be taken that seriously but she's mentioned it a few times now so it's gotta be something that was probably not talked about in the wired article

Speaking of which, I hope next gen has really amazing compression and decompression tech. I really can't imagine downloading 200-300gb of data, even with gigabit internet.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
as someone who skipped this gen, excuding a switch, I am very much planning to upgrade my pc in 2020. my pc is rather high end (8700 and a 1080) but I expect a step up in cpu requirements once nextgen happends.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a bunch of bullshit to me.

Besides, even if there are some thermal problems 10+ tfs should not be an issue for $499 2020 console.

one

Nov 30, 2017
If MS uses Vega instead of Navi they can announce Lockhard at the E3 and release it in 2019 to get the headstart.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Starting to believe those rumours of Microsoft using NVidia for Anaconda after seeing that video.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
If MS uses Vega instead of Navi they can announce Lockhard at the E3 and release it in 2019 to get the headstart.
Wouldnt be smart and logical. The early adopters (wich is mostly the "hardcore" base will just wait for Anaconda when they know its coming) The X is doing just fine power wise atm as non of the games will be taking the best advantage of Lockhart until Anaconda and PS5 arrive.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
But thats MS/Xbox secret sauce, isn't it?

Maybe Sony is doing something special for Checkerboard Rendering again. The last pages before the AdoredTV video popped up it was quite a popular topic.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...plays-we-all-win.94058/page-319#post-19978002

The secret sauce that makes PS5 loading speed "faster than gaming PC" is GPU Decompression.

Which have been implemented in Scarlett (I mean, both SKUs).

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
LOL, this is a rumor? Pretty sure this would not happen. Especially after Nvidia screwed them during the first Xbox generation.

and went to court over it. though i don't think there's ill will. Both companies work together frequently because of DirectX/Windows and stuff.

With that said the chances are near zero because Nvidia doesn't license their IP (much like Intel) and Phil Spencer was just at an AMD keynote a few months ago essentially confirming the next Xbox will continue to use AMD parts.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
After the fiasco with the original Xbox and having to pay licensing fees and the issues with backwards compatability I don't think so.
Times change. Microsoft and NVidia have been working together a lot recently with DirectX and RT stuff so it's not like their relationship is that bad, or it doesn't seem so anyway.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We really need some devkit leaks . It's been more than 10 days devs have both ps5 and Anaconda dev kits recent builds

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Any secret sauce added to these systems will be interesting since that will likely add to the power draw. If Navi is as power hungry as the video implies, I wonder if MS and Sony will either go over their expected power limits or if traditional shader performance will be sacrificed for this secret sauce.

Perhaps the GPU decompression hmqgg posted about?

At first, I thought this "secret sauce" comment shouldn't be taken that seriously but she's mentioned it a few times now so it's gotta be something that was probably not talked about in the wired article

I got the impression that was just a standard Navi feature since hmqgg seemed familiar with the technology Sony was using and knew it would also be in the next Xbox systems. It didn't seem like something that would be hardware exclusive but more of a system API feature.

WOW!! This thread went nuts in the last hour or so, the TF cycle continues. I however still believe that the PS5 will be over 11TF, especially with Stadia being 10.7 TF. A dedicated box has to be more powerful than a streaming system

Funny enough I came into this thread originally to see if anyone was talking about this: https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/navi-sony-ps5-hardware-exclusivity article.
It was just speculation based on the author's part, but It seems more plausible considering that video.

My guess is that MS is helping AMD so they can not only have more advanced tech for the next Xbox, but also so they can use this new tech at a lower cost. That way MS can use the less expensive AMD hardware for their Surface lineup so they no longer have to rely on Intel with their more expensive CPUs and their under-powered GPUs. They might even use the new hardware in their Azure servers as well.

I wouldn't put too much stock into those rumors. It seems more likely that AMD put a greater focus on Navi to try and fix the issues they ran into than to work with Sony directly. It's also unlikely that MS wouldn't be using Navi since there only other option would be Vega 7 and that chip seems less suited for a console than Navi.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm holding on for dear life to my 12TF PS5, 14TF Anaconda prediction.

Believe.
i-want-to-believe-wallpaper-12.jpg

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Phil Spencer was just at an AMD keynote a few months ago essentially confirming the next Xbox will continue to use AMD parts.
Could be a case of Lockheart still using AMD and Anaconda using NVidia. If you read the DF interview about back compat on Xbox One with 360 and OG Xbox games, they said they had both consoles running completely in software and as we know it's pretty much flawless emulation. What's to say they can't do the same with Xbox One games even though they're using an NVidia GPU?

The constant rumours speaking about MS wanting to be the performance leader also makes me lean towards NVidia too. Who knows though, we'll see in a months time.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Doesn't custom silicon cost less though?
There is the upfront cost of designing it but isn't that offset by saving they will make per SOC.
If they were going to sell 100 million+ consoles per year? Sure, maybe they could save enough to make it a good investment. But consoles don't have the margins or volume to support either company investing in IP and engineers to make a custom SOC. It's cheaper to just pay AMD and let them handle it. Especially since even spinning up a custom SOC doesnt guarantee any kind of improvement over AMD's offerings. It's entirely possible they could sink all the money and time into a custom design and still fall short of what AMD can offer.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap, do NOT watch that video if you want to keep high TF dreams alive for next gen consoles. That guy not only has some sources over a long period of time, but maybe more importantly his common sense analysis of public comments by AMD CEO Lisa Su last fall when rumors were that Navi was showing well on its first tape out versus the delays and no public highlighting of Navi that still hasn't been revealed since then leaves you rather depressed that this is likely a legit concern.

Maybe Sony screwing around with AMD on this screwed us all over for next gen, LOL :)

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Al people need to chill a little, he said at the end don't take it at 100% sure because he has multiple source saying different things. After it can take people back to earth.

Don't forget AMD GPU are not in the best position... Something would be very sad if AMD come back on track post Navi and post next generation console GPU for example.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Could be a case of Lockheart still using AMD and Anaconda using NVidia. If you read the DF interview about back compat on Xbox One with 360 and OG Xbox games, they said they had both consoles running completely in software and as we know it's pretty much flawless emulation. What's to say they can't do the same with Xbox One games even though they're using an NVidia GPU?

The constant rumours speaking about MS wanting to be the performance leader also makes me lean towards NVidia too. Who knows though, we'll see in a months time.
Using Nvidia would be a nightmare if we talk about BC. They would need to start from scratch with their established BC layer that is based on AMD's GPU instruction set. Don't you think?

Oct 27, 2017
Re: adoredTV

For the 56 CU the `Updated "Planned Navi" Cards` table shows a TDP change from 180w to 190W, so a ~5% change.

Seems doable with a bit of creative engineering.

This is where we find out if the hardware boffins at Sony/MS are really earning their money... ;)

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Honestly if AMD can just get the PS5 to 10.7 at the minimum, then i'm more than satisfied.
What do you think made Google start now with Vega and not wait some more time for Navi? As they are not live anyway, their studios still have to release a single game, and games are not ported yet at all, they are actually not in a hurry. So what was the reason to even put those numbers out if they know they will beaten in a year. Why not totally skip that information as it will backfire at that time they are ready?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Using Nvidia would be a nightmare if we talk about BC. They would need to start from scratch with their established BC layer that is based on AMD's GPU instruction set. Don't you think?

Wasn't there a rumor that MS was working on making it so Xbox One titles could run on PC in general?

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I believe Brad Sams has stated the next gen scarlet boxes will be using Navi. He also talked about flash storage as well. So yes there are rumors they are using Navi. They could be just using Navi for Lockheart and AMD's next gen gpu for anaconda. But doubt that.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
What do you think made Google start now with Vega and not wait some more time for Navi? As they are not live anyway, their studios still have to release a single game, and games are not ported yet at all, they are actually not in a hurry. So what was the reason to even put those numbers out if they know they will beaten in a year. Why not totally skip that information as it will backfire at that time they are ready?

Food for thought :)

Status
Not open for further replies.