• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
Optane is just Intel's marketing name for 3D XPoint, which Micron had a 50% stake in as well. Intel just sold all of their half of the manufacturing capacity for it to Micron anyway.

What 3D XPoint actually is seems to be a trade secret. Intel/Micron don't give many details on how it works, but what analysis there has been suggests that its a form of phase change memory, which no one else knows how to produce at this time.

Thanks for this info, very interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_XPoint

As a non-volatile memory, 3DXPoint has a number of features that distinguish it from other currently available RAM and NVRAM. Although the first generations of 3D XPoint were not especially large or fast, as of 2019 3D XPoint is used to create some of the fastest SSDs available, with small-write latency (the hardest type of task for most SSDs, sometimes described as "worst case" or "murderously" hard[6]) being an order of magnitude faster than any preceding enterprise SSD. As the memory is inherently fast, and byte-addressable, techniques such as read-modify-write and cachingused to enhance traditional SSDs are not needed to obtain high performance. In addition, chipsets such as Cascade Lake are designed with inbuilt support for 3D XPoint, that allow it to be used as a caching or acceleration disk, and it is also fast enough to be used as non-voltatile RAM (NVRAM) in a DIMMpackage.

So this would be useful for a SSD cache + HDD since it doesn't run into the same problems as regular SSDs. Would be pretty crazy if Sony manages to put something like this inside the PS5.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
So this would be useful for a SSD cache + HDD since it doesn't run into the same problems as regular SSDs. Would be pretty crazy if Sony manages to put something like this inside the PS5.

Yep, it would be ideal for that, more so than actual NAND since you can address it like RAM, even if the speed is in between NAND and RAM. You can have quite a lot of the stuff for not that much more money than NAND and it would be ideal to use as a system suspend point, allowing the console to fully power down, even get unplugged, but still retain a hibernation state that it could restore from in a second or two.

How real is that reddit post?

We have no firm idea, but its hella suspect.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
Yep, it would be ideal for that, more so than actual NAND since you can address it like RAM, even if the speed is in between NAND and RAM. You can have quite a lot of the stuff for not that much more money than NAND and it would be ideal to use as a system suspend point, allowing the console to fully power down, even get unplugged, but still retain a hibernation state that it could restore from in a second or two.

Wow.. come to think of it, since this drive acts like RAM, players would be able to instantly continue any game already saved on this drive, like a save state, even if you close the game. Also be able to have that 'instant start' for games that Sony is striving for.. interesting.

I expect anything with 'Intel' branding to be expensive lol... if Sony is using this tech I'm thinking they'll make a deal directly with Micron, not intel.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'm riding on the HBM rumor hard for now. Looks like even if you use StoreMI, Optane, QuantX or whatever it looks like you need a fast DRAM

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Right, but 3D XPoint chips aren't as expensive. Quite a lot of that cost is the crazy amount of integration on the DIMM. Voltage distribution, data loss prevention components, a microcontroller with ungodly I/O to manage the XPoint and interface to the memory bus, quite a lot of things that wouldn't need to be in a console designed for it.

Granted, it may still be a pipedream and Cerny wasn't promising something that grand for the SSD he was showing off.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Right, but 3D XPoint chips aren't as expensive. Quite a lot of that cost is the crazy amount of integration on the DIMM. Voltage distribution, data loss prevention components, a microcontroller with ungodly I/O to manage the XPoint and interface to the memory bus, quite a lot of things that wouldn't need to be in a console designed for it.

Granted, it may still be a pipedream and Cerny wasn't promising something that grand for the SSD he was showing off.

What's the the speed on a 3dxpoint ? Because said 19 times faster, could we nail something down?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Also expecting Nvidia to waddle out a new series of cards not long after. which would seem pretty par for the course

Same.

I'd expect Nvidia to have their 3000 series cards out in the same general time frame or shortly after. I can imagine CEO Jensen Huang saying something like:
"watch our second generation RTX technology just defecate all over the new consoles and their so-called ray-tracing capabilities. AMD's efforts are pathetic".

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Same.

I'd expect Nvidia to have their 3000 series cards out in the same general time frame or shortly after. I can imagine CEO Jensen Huang saying something like:
"watch our second generation RTX technology just defecate all over the new consoles and their so-called ray-tracing capabilities. AMD's efforts are pathetic".
The 3000 series will be out before the next consoles 1000%, it's gonna be over two years since the 2000 series came out. If NVIDIA is going 7nm in the 3000 series, oh man, things are going down.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Same.

Pretty much. Improved Turing + 7nm will be a big boost.. The 3000 series will probably release in the first half of next year, then shortly after the consoles release, there will be another refresh.

High end GPUs will probably be around 50% faster than the are right now by the time the consoles are 6 months on the market.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
The 3000 series will be out before the next consoles 1000%, it's gonna be over two years since the 2000 series came out. If NVIDIA is going 7nm in the 3000 series, oh man, things are going down.

Oh yeah you are right. The 3000 series could likely be out H1 (Q2?) 2020.

Pretty much. Improved Turing + 7nm will be a big boost.. The 3000 series will probably release in the first half of next year, then shortly after the consoles release, there will be another refresh.

High end GPUs will probably be around 50% faster than the are right now by the time the consoles are 6 months on the market.

I'm wondering if the next series of Nvidia consumer / gaming GPUs will not be Ampere or something else, rather than Turing at 7nm.

If Nvidia has permanently split their HPC / AI / machine learning GPU line away from the consumer/gamer line, as with Volta and Turing, then perhaps Ampere (or whatever the successor to Volta is called) will not be what replaces Turing. I haven't kept up on the latest Nvidia rumors. Last I heard was Ampere is still Volta's successor.

Last edited:

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I really hope it's not some weird custom SSD + HDD solution. Just give us a straight up SSD (m.2 style) drive that's easily upgradable. Also, not having a 2.5" drive means it can be physically smaller (cooler too?).

I hope they also make a version with no optical drive. A completely solid state PlayStation would have a really nice "next gen" feel to it.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah you are right. The 3000 series could likely be out H1 (Q2?) 2020.

I'm wondering if the next series of Nvidia consumer / gaming GPUs will not be Ampere or something else, rather than Turing at 7nm.

If Nvidia has permanently split their HPC / AI / machine learning GPU line away from the consumer/gamer line, as with Volta and Turing, then perhaps Ampere (or whatever the successor to Volta is called) will not be what replaces Turing. I haven't kept up on the latest Nvidia rumors. Last I heard was Ampere is still Volta's successor.
for me the bigger question is do they use the extra space 7m gives them to increase tfps, or increase rtx performance?

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I really hope it's not some weird custom SSD + HDD solution. Just give us a straight up SSD (m.2 style) drive that's easily upgradable. Also, not having a 2.5" drive means it can be physically smaller (cooler too?).

I hope they also make a version with no optical drive. A completely solid state PlayStation would have a really nice "next gen" feel to it.

Couple of things, if the system is designed around an ssd with the purposes of fast loading it may be soldered on or irreplaceable to begin with. Next, let's say you can change it, the kind of SSD we're talking about is a a 2 terabyte NVME, which is currently on "Sale" on amazon for $658. AS far as heat output, it's negligible difference, we're talking 2 to 3 degrees maybe. SSD will use less power and be slimmer form factor yes. But there's also a limited number of writes that ssd's have aka potentially lower lifespan than a standard HDD. Not to mention, if it's combo ssd hdd situation vs standard ssd. I'm betting that ssdhhd combo has more storage to begin with

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Couple of things, if the system is designed around an ssd with the purposes of fast loading it may be soldered on or irreplaceable to begin with. Next, let's say you can change it, the kind of SSD we're talking about is a a 2 terabyte NVME, which is currently on "Sale" on amazon for $658. AS far as heat output, it's negligible difference, we're talking 2 to 3 degrees maybe. SSD will use less power and be slimmer form factor yes. But there's also a limited number of writes that ssd's have aka potentially lower lifespan than a standard HDD. Not to mention, if it's combo ssd hdd situation vs standard ssd. I'm betting that ssdhhd combo has more storage to begin with
not sure why sony is going with a high end ssd to start with. even a normal nvme drive is 2 1/2 to 3GBs. I cant think of a gaiming use case where you would need more than that, unless sony is really gunna use it as a expanded ram pool.

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't limited writes be a reason against soldered on ssd + hdd solution?

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't limited writes be a reason against soldered on ssd + hdd solution?
It is overblown. SSDs don't break down any faster than normal drives. Yes, it means it would be more expensive to replace once it does break down, but in my experience I had to replace disc drives more often than SSDs. Hopefully by the time you need it replaced, it had already gotten cheaper. As someone converted to SSD, I am a believer as it made my old laptop better than it ever was when it was brand new.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
It is overblown. SSDs don't break down any faster than normal drives. Yes, it means it would be more expensive to replace once it does break down, but in my experience I had to replace disc drives more often than SSDs. Hopefully by the time you need it replaced, it had already gotten cheaper. As someone converted to SSD, I am a believer as it made my old laptop better than it ever was when it was brand new.
honestly I wounder how long hdds will matter. if ms/sony are buying 10s of millions a year, thats gunna couse ssd prices to crash even more.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 rumors that points towards 24GB ram

https://pastebin.com/PY9vaTsR

i1J8yY.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/commen...tion_5_price_leaks_and_it_aint_cheap/ekxsjlv/

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/bhabap/well_here_we_go/

s4GHExk.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I've mentioned this before: I've been using a cheapo no-brand 16GB SD card for ReadyBoost cache on an older (now file-serving) system for the best part of a decade, and it lists less than 5MB of bad sectors due to wear.

That's crappy primitive NAND cells on ancient processes that managed to outlast some HDDs, already.

Stuff Sony is likely to ship will be significantly better than that, and will more than likely outlive the system.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've mentioned this before: I've been using a cheapo no-brand 16GB SD card for ReadyBoost cache on an older (now file-serving) system for the best part of a decade, and it lists less than 5MB of bad sectors due to wear.

That's crappy primitive NAND cells on ancient processes that managed to outlast some HDDs, already.

Stuff Sony is likely to ship will be significantly better than that, and will more than likely outlive the system.
If anything, people exaggerate SSD breakdown because of blowback on how cds were suppose to last hundreds of years, and the reality disappointed us.
Yes, SSD can weaken, but looks like it breaks down slower than spinning discs. If it didn't break down then SSD would basically cheat entropy.

There is just only so fast you can spin a frisbee, before it disintegrates. I am just amazed that I lived through an entire ERA of disc based digital media, from when it replaced cartridges to when cartridges comes back with a vengeance.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, 3DXpoint memory hasn't really lived up to the promise yet. The idea was you'd have the capacity of an SSD permanence of an SSD with the bandwidth of RAM.

The NVDIMMs are about 28 times faster than NVME SSDs on speed and are multiple orders of magnitude better on latency and IOPS.

Yeah, with the tech you could envision systems where you wouldn't need very much "working" memory. Like 8GB HBM backed by an Optane storage that is as fast as having all you games in a RAM drive.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the moment, Sony won't cop to exact details about the SSD—who makes it, whether it utilizes the new PCIe 4.0 standard—but Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs.

Cerny couldn't have taken Optane into account right? Because I just saw the benchmarks and it's wild.

Not to mention it's around 1k, at least.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, 3DXpoint memory hasn't really lived up to the promise yet. The idea was you'd have the capacity of an SSD permanence of an SSD with the bandwidth of RAM.

Yeah, with the tech you could envision systems where you wouldn't need very much "working" memory. Like 8GB HBM backed by an Optane storage that is as fast as having all you games in a RAM drive.
would games get enough out of it though? consoles arent servers or workstations. even in a open world game your not swaping data that much as to need a drive that fast.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Honestly I think they'll just have PS5 patches for games like TLoU. When the PS5 comes out they'll just have a new print that says PS4/PS5 like MS did

Example of 360 game with Xbox One Branding. Maybe they can replace the banner below the logos with "Enhanced on PS5" or something like that.
s-l1000.jpg
theres alot ND could do in a year...ill stick 8)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Just a 'regular' SSD that is faster than PC SSDs right now and is at least 1TB and is user replaceable?

I think you might be able to have two of those but not all three

I want SSD+HDD *because* it means we can add an external drive for more storage - helpful for those with slower internet or simply those that don't want to manage the fridge

If the SSD is that fast it will either be too expensive for Sony to have a large one, or too expensive to allow users to upgrade it (or literally impossible if you can't actually buy the correct type)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

their SSD is already custom (and supposedly has higher raw bandwidith than any existing SSD on PC), if they are going with just the SSD it wont be replaceable at all, if they are doing custom SSD +HDD then at least you will be able to replace the HDD in the console.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really, one of the ways I can see Sony having all these (HBM, NVME SSD + optane-like solution) is they have actually signed a partnership with Samsung as their hardware manufacturer, but there's no news or leaks of that happening.

Samsung already has an Optane competitor with V-Nand.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
24 GB, this number keeps comin' up over and over and over again. Every day 24GB kept getting rumored. 24GB, 24GB, I look in the internet, this whole thing is 24 GB!

So I start marching my way down to Cerny in Wired and say "Cerrrr-ny! Cerrrr-ny! I gotta talk to you about RAM count," and when I open the site, what do I find? There's not a single goddamn figure in that article — there is. no. RAM count on the web... Half of the leaks in this thread are made up. This rumor mill is a goddamn ghost town.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I start marching my way down to Cerny in Wired and say "Cerrrr-ny! Cerrrr-ny! I gotta talk to you about RAM count," and when I open the site, what do I find? There's not a single goddamn figure in that article — there is. no. RAM count on the web... Half of the leaks in this thread are made up. This rumor mill is a goddamn ghost town.
Okay Tetra, I'm gonna have to stop you right there. Not only do all of these numbers exist, but they have been rumors on a daily basis. It's all they're talking about in here. Jesus Christ, dude. We are gonna lose our minds.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I was thinking about that 4chan rumor from a few days ago, how possible is a 18gb gddr6 and 6gb ddr4 for OS (accounting for roughly 2x more OS memory requriements) as ram configuration? i dont trust that rumor but 18GB for games and 6gb for OS sounds like an interesting configuration, especially if the 18gb is used just for games.

Status
Not open for further replies.