• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I would love of both systems used unique different ram setups. Would make for better debate than "this number is bigger"

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
thanks m8

Yeah we talked about the possibility of HBM for next gen Xbox but I highly doubt it though, with Lockhart

This is interesting. If PlayStation does use hbm and MS doesn't, could not actually be a situation of the Lockhart holding back the design of the higher end SKU? After all I've learned, it seems the upgrade path for price and performance is far better and clearer for HBM than it is for gddr6 to 7

Jan 20, 2019
Benji isn't an insider, or at least doesn't want to be.

Think he hated it when he mentioned a rumor that people latched on as a leak, even when he didn't even elaborate on what it's all about.

It's best if we stopped mentioning him as one.

I didn't said he was.

What i said was that Benji said that The Last Of Us part 2 is set to be release this year and Aokiji said that Sony is gona release the date of TLOU2 in May.

By set, i mean, they are trying to get the game this year.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Selling to less than 25% of your player base defeats the point of making a title cross gen, and a brand new console generation is going to push any buyer purchasing for performance to the new platform.

The quoted text from the patent is not informative. It's just describing how a standard DRAM works.

While that's true, i guess it's better than nothing.

We'll see tho.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo gets poor AAA third party support and lives and dies by exclusives. Sony has to design hardware for the 3rd parties and I'm absolutely certain power matters greatly to them.

Well I worded it shitty.

I believe they could thrive in a generation where they are underpowered. That's my opinion. Not underpowered to the point it doesn't get 3rd party games.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Actualy both of them have proven track record, especially Benji.
Feel free to post the leaks and how they turned out. And as I said proven track records of tangible leaks.

So the stuff Brad Sams repots in actual code names and new hardware no one knew or reported before, or Klobrille with his acquisition.
Not "I heard XYZ will release this year"

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
About the NexBox and PS5 aiming better than Stadia. Stadia pretty much has a Vega 56 GPU. A Vega 56 GPU is rated at ~10.5tflops, yet it trades blows on actual gaming performance with a 6.4Tflops RTX 2060. We don't know how better is Navi an architecture.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Ooof I dunno jeeeez, $499 for that... I think we are gonna need more than that to bite. Lockhart seeming like a nice $299 box though... perhaps with a whole year of Xbox Live or Game Pass included or something. Shame about no Dreamcast backwards compatibility, though
I hope you have noticed this is a joke mockup from the Klobrille tweet LOL
Must not have seen the last sentence, haha.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I thought this patent indicated hbm. WHOAH BOY did I miss read that

It has an HBM diagram in it. I was simply stating that the quoted portion wasn't informative.

FIG. 3 shows a diagram of system 300 in accordance with one example. System 300 shows additional details corresponding to system 200. In one example, system 300may include multiple memory dies (e.g., HBM DRAM die 380and HBM DRAM die 390).

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
And they're probably both wrong.
People on this board put way to much weight into rumored insiders without a proven track record of actual tangible leaks

It's not just insiders. If you check the Coming Soon section of the official PlayStation sites of several European countries, you'll see a bunch of titles fully confirmed to be coming out well before the end of 2019... and The Last of Us Part 2. And Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and Dreams aren't there, so it's not like they've just chucked all their announced games onto the page.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Yes. This fall, $199 was the leak

That would be fantastic tbh...you thinking $499 for the PS5 though?

I'm still on the $399 camp, 10-12TF, 16-20 RAM, with Anaconda being 20% more of those and 25% more expensive.

I think, as Jez said, both Sony and MS know what the other guys are doing so thats why they're confident in being most powerful, and Cerny's comments about price were just a bit of misdirection.

$399 is to good of a price to pass up, the"sweet spot" of power/price some have alluded too.

Welcome back mate!

Well, I think for that, plus the SSD thing, and the mem...I wouldn't be surprised if it came in at $449 which I predicted a while back.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
If TLOU 2 launches this year, then you can safely assume a PS5 version will launch alongside the console, alongside a PS5 only Horizon 2. WOW!

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Monkhaus

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I'm also in Team biological. It's so exciting to see such an exotic architecture in
a console. Do you think we will hear more about it at E3?

Regarding the NVMe, maybe only 500GB will land in the final product.
On the other hand we know that they are willing to take huge losses.

So why is the 1TB Version out auf realm in 2020?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I'm also in Team biological. It's so exciting to see such an exotic architecture in
a console. Do you think we will hear more about it at E3?

Regarding the NVMe, maybe only 500GB will land in the final product.
On the other hand we know that they are willing to take huge losses.

So why is the 1TB Version out auf realm in 2020?
How do we know this?

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Offering a disc version will be better for them as it'll do big numbers, they can have it offer a much bigger upgrade compared to simply playing it through BC.

My pet theory is that the ps5 will the extras and dlc is their is any, as an incentive. Just how sometimes delayed console and PC launches will get extras packed in

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Their is...a thing posted on Reddit of things that look very plausible, he included a picture of the room where this meeting supposedly took place. But it's a standard small hotel meeting room thing with large screens that say ps on it. Easily shopped

Edit: screens say Sony actually. Could be a snap of any old Sony meeting room. Only thing of unique note is an optane like solution. SSD and HDD

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
So, no next gen PlayStation in the next 12 months. That basically rules out a Spring 2020 launch, and that makes sense for many reasons.

I doubt Sony would release PS5 without having a BIG showing at E3 first.
AMD's 7nm chips for PS5 will be ready in Q3 2020. https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20190416PD205.html
Q3 starts in July right? That almost certainly means a Q4 / Holiday launch.

If Sony launches earlier than they have done with PS4 and PS3 (both Nov in NA) I think it would be a matter of September or October. Otherwise I'm still expecting November.

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so, I'm a little confused about the Lockhart.

Microsoft would want this to be like $200 less expensive than Anaconda as like a "budget" system releasing at $399... kind of sounds like a parody.

But I'm kind of confused where the $200 in savings could come from.

So they will probably tank the GPU from 11-12 teraflops in the base system to around 4 teraflops in the cheaper system.

Then they could reduce the RAM a little bit because of no 4K.

If it's using an SSD, they could potentially cut down on the size of the SSD of the cheaper one (though that would be really inconvenient for consumers I think...).

But I still don't think this gets to $200 in savings very easily?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/bhabap/well_here_we_go/

Only things of note. 3.2 gig zen 2, optane like solution. ssd and hdd solution. Massive grains of salt.

But i did a reverse image search, and the image is original apparently

From the link:

Custom Navi GPU, 56CU, 1.8Ghz, 12.9TF. RT is hardware based, co engineered by AMD and Sony. (They believe the RT hardware is the basis for the rumour that Navi was built for Sony)

It may not as powerful as some think, Sony say they want a balanced machine that's powerful with limited potential for bottlenecks

Well, 12.9 TF *is* pretty darn powerful.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
so basically launching during holiday 2020 is so that these new 1p games they have been making for next gen will launch with it. i have a gut feeling that we are about to see some amazing launch games with ps5. makes sense not to show them at recent events. there psx this year will be a blow out and perhaps next year e3 they will be attending with a bigger punch. demos, pricing, launch dates, etc.

next year is going to be wild af

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To be honest I don't know what to believe about that rumor but 12.9 TF would be pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.