• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, noticed on the Beyond3D forums that there's a newer 4Chan "leak" about the PS5 devkit. Anyone care to give it a quick look to see if it's even remotely plausible?

Big PC towers.
Pretty loud, fans seem to be running at max rpm all the time. Bug?
GPU dump has memory at 18432mb, bandwidth 733GB/s, core clock at 1850mhz.
CPU shows up as Zen 7. According to docs only the GPU on the SOC is being used in this iteration of the devkit.
64GB of system ram.
4TB SSD

Source

Yeah, dunno what to make of that "Zen 7" bit, it seems to be the most glaring oddity
Probably Zen 2 Ryzen 7. Which is still hard to believe. Most likely will be based on Zen 2 Ryzen 5 but maybe its a devkit thing idk. The RAM speed puts it at HBM2 levels. Large amounts of VRAM and System RAM is just typical for Devkits tho.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I think the CPU will be Zen 2 arch (obviously) at console-level voltages/TDP. Trying to compare it with desktop parts will just lead to disappointment IMO.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Probably Zen 2 Ryzen 7. Which is still hard to believe. Most likely will be based on Zen 2 Ryzen 5 but maybe its a devkit thing idk. The RAM speed puts it at HBM2 levels. Large amounts of VRAM and System RAM is just typical for Devkits tho.
Could be the case as Ryzen is rumores to offer 8 cores in the R5 and R7 segment.

Hmm, what advantages would Ryzen 7 offer over Ryzen 5?
R7 offers better clock speeds but that is uninteresting for the console use case as the CPU would run about 3Ghz anyway. Lets talk about the CPU just as Zen 2 cores.

I believe Ryzen 7 is 8 core while Ryzen 5 is 6 core. Ryzen 7 makes sense for an early dev kit.
It is rumored that Ryzen 3000 have 8 core CPU in the R7 and the R5 segment as well. But from a technical standpoint they use the same cores, so for the console it is irrelevant if its R7 or R5 as long it is 8 cores.

Regarding current dev kits I would assume that those kits have Ryzen 2700X CPUs until the real silicon is avaliable

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
its 8c v6, and 16 threads v12
I believe Ryzen 7 is 8 core while Ryzen 5 is 6 core. Ryzen 7 makes sense for an early dev kit.
Could be the case as Ryzen is rumores to offer 8 cores in the R5 and R7 segment.

R7 offers better clock speeds but that is uninteresting for the console use case as the CPU would run about 3Ghz anyway. Lets talk about the CPU just as Zen 2 cores.

Thanks for the replies. Ok, so Ryzen 7 is 8 cores and Ryzen 5 is 6 cores. In the Wired article they did say the PS5 CPU uses 8 cores, so doesn't that strongly indicate Ryzen 7?

"The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD's Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture."

Oct 27, 2017
Florida

It is rumored that Ryzen 3000 have 8 core CPU in the R7 and the R5 segment as well. But from a technical standpoint they use the same cores, so for the console it is irrelevant if its R7 or R5 as long it is 8 cores.

Regarding current dev kits I would assume that those kits have Ryzen 2700X CPUs until the real silicon is avaliable

They're probably using current 12nm Zen 7 not unreleased 7nm Zen 7.

Thanks for the replies. Ok, so Ryzen 7 is 8 cores and Ryzen 5 is 6 cores. In the Wired article they did say the PS5 CPU uses 8 cores, so doesn't that strongly indicate Ryzen 7?

"The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD's Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture."

They'd only be using Zen+ Ryzen 7 to simulate core counts and performance. The real console will be 7nm Zen 2 8 core processor which is not out yet.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know about MS but Cerny said Sony sent lots of dev kits recently so i'm sure we gonna get some real leak with PS5 dev kit specs sometime soon!

Hopefully!

just googled this and this was the first result. Very close to 733 GB/s.

he SK Hynix chips are expected to be 8 Gb per chip with a transfer rate of up to 16 Gbit/s. However, SK Hynix's first GDDR6 products are limited to 14 Gbit/s. The first graphics cards to use SK Hynix's GDDR6RAM are expected to use 12 GB of RAM with a 384-bit memory bus, yielding a bandwidth of 768 GB/s.
GDDR6 SDRAM - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR6_SDRAM

I looked at this helpful RAM speed table from the old thread. Sure, there are some close numbers, but no exact match. Which is strange, because there is some kind of system behind those numbers (I think GDDR6 is mostly divisible by 8 for example), so what could be the reason for this? It could be HBM, but then the amount doesn't fit.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...speculation-secret-sauces-spicing-2019.91830/

consoleramtable.png

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Yeah, i agree with others this sounds much better then that 8GB HBM2+16GB DDR4 combo.

This means i guess ~ 14 gigs or so for games and 4 for OS.

If it's a $500 box I'm hoping they push out for 24Gb, with 4 for OS and 20 for games. Even then that is still by far the smallest leap in RAM capacity of any generation ever.

The random amount of RAM available in the dev kits suggests to me they have 24Gb in them, just with 6 reserved currently for the OS.

A PS5 with a 12+TF GPU, Zen CPU, SSD and 24Gb GDDR6 would be pretty sweet, I would happily pay $500 for that. It would be a huge leap over the current gen.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully!

I looked at this helpful RAM speed table from the old thread. Sure, there are some close numbers, but no exact match. Which is strange, because there is some kind of system behind those numbers (I think GDDR6 is mostly divisible by 8 for example), so what could be the reason for this? It could be HBM, but then the amount doesn't fit.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...speculation-secret-sauces-spicing-2019.91830/
Well, it could be fake.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

As said Ryzen 7 is just a segment in the Ryzen familiy with is defined by a lower and upper bound of the amount of cores.

They're probably using current 12nm Zen 7 not unreleased 7nm Zen 7.
For the current dev kits I would assume the same. But for the final silicon they just use 8 Zen 2 cores that are lower clocked than anything offered in the R5 or R7 segment so a comparison to the PC product isn't useful anyway.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
The reason Sony made that Wired interview in the first place, at least in my opinion, is because they are ramping up sending out dev kits and wanted to get ahead of inevitable leaks. MS, it looks like, started sending out dev kits this month. So Sony and MS are sending out dev kits to developers at around the same time.
We should be getting leaks from both Sony and MS in the upcoming weeks.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Hopefully!

I looked at this helpful RAM speed table from the old thread. Sure, there are some close numbers, but no exact match. Which is strange, because there is some kind of system behind those numbers (I think GDDR6 is mostly divisible by 8 for example), so what could be the reason for this?

Looking at that table I see 18Gbps chips. All consumer cards have so far only used 14Gbps chips I believe? So why did Samsung send out that press release to all the tech sites about 18Gbps (specifically) going into mass production all the way back in January 2018?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
If it's a $500 box I'm hoping they push out for 24Gb, with 4 for OS and 20 for games. Even then that is still by far the smallest leap in RAM capacity of any generation ever.

The random amount of RAM available in the dev kits suggests to me they have 24Gb in them, just with 6 reserved currently for the OS.
I honestly don't even get why they need 4GB for the OS. Why not 3GB? Or it could very well be that the console will have 4/6GB of LPDDR4 exclusively or the OS an that doesn't show up in any of these leaks. As of 2017 4GB of LPDDR4 was around $27.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I honestly don't even get why they need 4GB for the OS. Why not 3GB? Or it could very well be that the console will have 4/6GB of LPDDR4 exclusively or the OS an that doesn't show up in any of these leaks. As of 2017 4GB of LPDDR4 was around $27.

The current PS4 already uses 2.5Gb of RAM for the OS, I would imagine that the new console would probably reserve around 4Gb, but it is only a guess based on increasing OS requirements every generation.

The good thing about using basically the same architecture is that they can straight up port the PS4s OS and launch with basically feature parity. On a Zen core the thing would probably fly.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The current PS4 already uses 2.5Gb of RAM for the OS, I would imagine that the new console would probably reserve around 4Gb, but it is only a guess based on increasing OS requirements every generation.

The good thing about using basically the same architecture is that they can straight up port the PS4s OS and launch with basically feature parity. On a Zen core the thing would probably fly.
Yeah, this gets lost in the specs number crunching.

Hopefully both consoles have a better OS, UI experience next gen.

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
Hey Albert Penello ,
take a look at my current baseline prediction. Does this look any kind of possible to you. I just made a new version of it ...
The prediction is threadmarked but you also can use this direct link: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...-anaconda-dont-want-none.112607/post-20024716

Follow-up to TheThreadsThatBindUs
I am as confused as the next member about all the code names. As far as I understand we have to differentiate

code names for consoles by platform holder: Xbox: Scarlett (Familiy), Lockhart, Anaconda, ??? (Streamingbox); Playstation: ???
code names for dev kits by platform holder: Xbox: Dante; Playstation: ???
code names for silicon by platform holder: Xbox: Argurus, Arden; Playstation: ???
code names for silicon by AMD: Xbox: ???; Playstation: Gonzalo

I actually don't know where the Ariel code name has to be assigned to. Maybe someone not as confused as I am can fill in the question marks.

If someone is able of clarifying this, I'd like to highlight it so we can clear up confusion over this LOL

I know I will be crucified by some for those predictions but I have updated my baseline prediction based on the latest developments. Please keep in mind those are baseline values and not max values. I would see max peak performance at around +10% on the baseline.

Ooof honestly, that SSD implementation better be amazing for the games(not just loading screens) because at $499 in late 2020, based on these general specs alone, I think I wouldn't be that excited about the machine itself, whether a PS5 or an Xbox. I mean, games and services could make up for it but yeeeeaaaaaaah

Well, I guess this mentality is better than overhyping it though :p

About the RAM matter, is a 16GB shared memory pool really enough for next-gen games? I'm mostly referring to textures come next-gen games. The CPU and SSD should help regarding the compression but a certain amount should still be a certain amount. On PC, there are "HD texture packs" available(like the recent Monster Hunter World one) that require 6-8GB minimum VRAM, not counting the extra storage required to download it(In the case of MHW, 40GB on HD textures alone. Larger than the original game). We're talking about textures aimed at 4K displays and such but still, I'd say next-gen games' textures should not fall far behind this, correct? I don't know how many console games out there allow for textures aimed at 4K displays(I know of Gears 4 on Xbox One X and I think that's it) but I'd expect games to use much more RAM and storage just on textures alone.

Again, I guess they could always heavily compress the textures and load them very quickly thanks to the jump on SSD and CPU alone?

Could someone enlighten me regarding this?

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hey Phoenix Splash
Don't put too much weight into my price prediction. That is actually the weakest point of my baseline prediction.
But when it comes to cost I would say the following:
Cost goes up for SOC (even the same die size is more expensive with the new node process)
Increased cost for the SSD implementation
Even dram prices are falling you may end up with a cost increase for the amount of memory
(baseline here for those assumption are the price points of the mid-cycle consoles)

Last edited:

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
About the RAM matter, is a 16GB shared memory pool really enough for next-gen games?

Could someone enlighten me regarding this?

You can never have enough RAM. Never. This gen was the first in some time where games weren't completely RAM starved, but let's put it this way - the current Xbox One X has 12Gb of RAM. 16Gb would be a pretty severe disappointment for a next gen console especially if you're talking increased OS requirements which would probably mean not much more RAM than the X. 20-24Gb is what I am reasonably expecting (not including OS).

Sony have already toyed with some slower RAM in the Pro, I'm hoping they go the whole hog this time and have a separate 4-8Gb of DDR4/LPDDR4 for the OS and leave 24Gb of GDDR6 for the games.

Realistically to provide a big leap we're really talking a $500 console. But if it has the kind of specs floating around in this thread and also an SSD it's hard to complain at that price. Thing will be a beast.

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of weird that some folks are taking Arthur's words as certainty given the drama that unfolded a few years back (on the old site) with him being a liar and being full of shit in general (think he was working for Polygon at the time).

I forget the details now but I remembered never to trust him or his "opinions".
It is just a matter of time anyway.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
it's possible with these super fast SSD's that some slower-memory functions could be handed off to the SSD (like some OS features for example)

Since even today Total RAM =/= Game Available RAM, the apples to apples comparison for Gen9 is to focus on game available memory.

PS4 base offers 5.5gb to games (is that right?) so even 12gb of system ram would be over 2x for games if some OS functions are running off the SSD

Just to complicate things :)

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's possible with these super fast SSD's that some slower-memory functions could be handed off to the SSD (like some OS features for example)

Since even today Total RAM =/= Game Available RAM, the apples to apples comparison for Gen9 is to focus on game available memory.

PS4 base offers 5.5gb to games (is that right?) so even 12gb of system ram would be over 2x for games if some OS functions are running off the SSD

I wounder how fast it will be, my standerd non specail 256 GB mvne that came in my pc from dell is 2 1/2 to 3 GBs, not the fastest thing in the world, but way faster than a sata 3 drive, which was about 4 to 5x the ps4 drive to start with. I cant see something like the samsung 970 evo being in the ps5.

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
Less interested in memory/storage and more interested in the CPU and how devs will use it. Any word on whether physics engines are being upgraded for next-gen games? R* and ND are going to go crazy with it.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Less interested in memory/storage and more interested in the CPU and how devs will use it. Any word on whether physics engines are being upgraded for next-gen games? R* and ND are going to go crazy with it.
I am too, honestly I think physics are prity good as is, but maybe we will see more environmental destruction nextgen ect.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hopefully!

Can't the bandwidth be anything based on GDDR6's clock speed? 15200Mhz would be 733GB/s

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

I'm wary of using SSD for SWAP since it could reduce lifetime. But yes, I could see streaming the HD capture buffer to the SSD.

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
I am too, honestly I think physics are prity good as is, but maybe we will see more environmental destruction nextgen ect.
I still think that water, hair, and cloth have a long way to go in terms of behaving realistically. We'll see if those get any improvements. This is a gif from GoW, one of my favorite games of all time. The water doesn't react at all how I expect it to, it looks like a flat texture:

TatteredIdenticalIberianemeraldlizard-size_restricted.gif

I recall reading somewhere that they originally had a more "advanced" solution for water, but it was either too late to be implemented or the PS4 wasn't powerful enough.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

But all this talk isn't accounting for the fact these new consoles are supposed to use an SSD. And a really fast one at that. If the rumors are true, and they are using NVMe SSDs they can literally flush 2GB worth of daa in an out of RAMon notice. The PS4 reserved 3GB of RAM for its OS, I really don't think next gen consoles needs to reserve any more than that. I mean we have android TV boxesthat has only 3GB of RAM and asfar as OS features and functions they run circles around these consoles anyways.

Exactly!!! thanks. I don't see why they can reserve a chunk of the SSD and use that as some sort of live CD to run parts of the OS off it. As you said the slower memory functions. f ou askme coupled with the SSD they can get away with only a 2GB reserve for the OS.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I wounder how fast it will be, my standerd non specail 256 GB mvne that came in my pc from dell is 2 1/2 to 3 GBs, not the fastest thing in the world, but way faster than a sata 3 drive, which was about 4 to 5x the ps4 drive to start with. I cant see something like the samsung 970 evo being in the ps5.
If rumors are true, then the PS5 is using an NVMe gen 4 drive. Thats double the throughput of NVMe gen 3 so we are looking at theoretical peaks of 8GB/s.

And according to Cerny himself, the SSD in the PS5 is faster than any SSD currently on the market.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal

Base PS4 allocates 4.5GB for games with an extra 500mb of "flexible" memory if I remember correctly, so the OS still ends up eating a whopping 3GB/3.5GB of the available RAM. I can see the PS5 OS taking up to 4GB/5GB so even if we take into consideration the SSD, 16GB is still not enough in my opinion. Also I'm no expert but doesn't games running at 4K with 4K textures easily hit the 8GB+ VRAM usage? That leaves very little room for the rest of the game data that also needs to be loaded into the RAM, or am I wrong?

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If rumors are true, then the PS5 is using an NVMe gen 4 drive. Thats double the throughput of NVMe gen 3 so we are looking at theoretical peaks of 8GB/s.

And according to Cerny himself, the SSD in the PS5 is faster than any SSD currently on the market.
in dev kits sure, but if so, thats a espensive drive for a $500 box, makes me wounder what sony's up too.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Base PS4 allocates 4.5GB for games with an extra 500mb of "flexible" memory if I remember correctly, so the OS still ends up eating a whopping 3GB/3.5GB of the available RAM. I can see the PS5 OS taking up to 4GB/5GB so even if we take into consideration the SSD, 16GB is still not enough in my opinion. Also I'm no expert but doesn't games running at 4K with 4K textures easily hit the 8GB+ VRAM usage? That leaves very little room for the rest of the game data that also needs to be loaded into the RAM, or am I wrong?

You're forgetting it's supposedly 8gig hbm2 plus 16 gigs of ddr4 at supposedly enthusiast level speed (2113?). So it's 20 gigs total for game.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Wow. A lot of hardware engineers in this thread.

Has anyone tried making their own base computer with all the wishlist items to see if they come up with one at $499?

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
I still think that water, hair, and cloth have a long way to go in terms of behaving realistically. We'll see if those get any improvements. This is a gif from GoW, one of my favorite games of all time. The water doesn't react at all how I expect it to, it looks like a flat texture:

TatteredIdenticalIberianemeraldlizard-size_restricted.gif

I recall reading somewhere that they originally had a more "advanced" solution for water, but it was either too late to be implemented or the PS4 wasn't powerful enough.

Ray tracing is gonna make all the reflections on everything look really great instead of the screen space reflections used in gow

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
12Gb chips exist in the GDDR6 spec.

It doesn't really matter if it's in the JEDEC standard if no-one actually manufactures the chips.

AFAIK, SK Hynix and Samsung has said they will only offer 1GB (8Gb) and 2GB (16Gb) chips.

Dunno about Micron but my google-fu comes up blank.

It would be pretty impressive for Sony to put 12Gb memory chips in a devkit that nobody is currently manufacturing.

I'm gonna jot this one down as a pretty conspicuous fake:

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Wow. A lot of hardware engineers in this thread.

Has anyone tried making their own base computer with all the wishlist items to see if they come up with one at $499?
Umm? You are aware that economies of scale have a big impact when you're making millions of identical consoles when compared with making your own PC from off the shelf parts at retail prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.