• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
mUivVGD.png

Mr Colbert...I'm sticking with 10 to 12 TF for PS5! I don't care what you tell me la la la la la la la!!!! Xbox guess?.....6.5 for baby and...........10/12 for daddy, BUT....as we've been talking about it...it's the other parts of the equation that are right up in the air, mem, clock freqs etc etc. So yes...i'm sticking!

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
Please, please PLLEEEEEASE let one of those devkits be for a PS5 Portable :)

This :( I wonder when streaming will become good enough on the go

Brad Sams in his latest video is saying he heard interesting things on how performance is shaking out on the next Xbox. He just needs to verify further before he can share it.

Starts around 4:35.

Starting countdown now ...

KY1iSFO.gif

OH HERE IT COMES

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Mr Colbert...I'm sticking with 10 to 12 TF for PS5! I don't care what you tell me la la la la la la la!!!! Xbox guess?.....6.5 for baby and...........10/12 for daddy, BUT....as we've been talking about it...it's the other parts of the equation that are right up in the air, mem, clock freqs etc etc. So yes...i'm sticking!
Well played, Sir Anthony aka Antoine ;)

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
If you are referring to the lowspeed comment there's two possibilities I see that ar plausible
A) most likely, since the context of that comment was in relation to SSD and load times. By "low speed" he was referring to the SSD speed

B) everyone has the Gonzalo kit with the 1 gig clocks and not the near production kits with the 1.8 gig (or there abouts) clock

First option seems most likely to me. Or it could be both as well I suppose

I'm just thinking there is no way 19 months from release either console devkit has even very early real hardware. Last time round the consoles changed dramatically tech wise and yet real hardware kits only went out 8-12 months from release.

Something isn't adding up....(Spring releases for both?)

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
More power for less money, basically. It's smaller and cooler so you can fit more with higher clocks in a cheaper package.
Not really true anymore, for quite some time now. A new node is giving power consumption benefits only for the first several years of its existence. Price per mm^2 is considerably higher, to a point where even price per one transistor is considerably higher. Which is why you only see smaller and lower performing chips being made on a new node during the first couple of years of its production ramp. Which is also why we'll get the next gen consoles only in the end of 2020 despite the fact that 7nm node they'll use is available for production since about autumn 2018.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
And even just as of the interview a few days ago Cerny said devs would be getting the up to date kits "soon". They could have literally gotten them today for all we know or get them next week. So Anaconda stuff first. Interesting that Ms got the final kit out sooner
I really think they are launching first.

I know they can't wait for this gen to be over for them.

Might explain their final kit going out sooner.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I'm just thinking there is no way 19 months from release either console devkit has even very early real hardware. Last time round the consoles changed dramatically tech wise and yet real hardware kits only went out 8-12 months from release.

Something isn't adding up....(Spring releases for both?)

Spring release is what's likely I think, Ive been an advocate of a spring release. I didn't expect both though. Someone mentioned on this thread, when final devkits for ps4 went out it was 14 months till launch, assuming the same you'd be looking at June July August....but that was with a huge switch in architecture. So a spring seems VERY plausible to me. Plot twist, what if Xbox launches spring and PlayStation fall?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
On the subject of devkits, just for clarity here is what was said in the Wired article:

" A number of studios have been working with it, though, and Sony recently accelerated its deployment of devkits so that game creators will have the time they need to adjust to its capabilities. "

So I think it's a given that most Sony first party studios had devkits, and probably some very trusted and close studios like Koji Pro and Insomniac, and now most of the others are getting theirs.

Feb 10, 2018
I think Sony will to capitalize on hype for one of the big three (likely TLoU2) launching alongside the console. I also don't think that they would talk about next gen plans April 2019 if they were launching Fall 2020 and it's been longer since their last hardware release. Plus if they are at a power disadvantage being out a few months earlier helps mitigate that.

I think TLOU2 will come fall 19
Death stranding or Ghosts will be there PS5 big ones

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
On the subject of devkits, just for clarity here is what was said in the Wired article:

" A number of studios have been working with it, though, and Sony recently accelerated its deployment of devkits so that game creators will have the time they need to adjust to its capabilities. "

So I think it's a given that most Sony first party studios had devkits, and probably some very trusted and close studios like Koji Pro and Insomniac, and now most of the others are getting theirs.

I need to read the article again. Isn't that quote in context of the current devkits but they don't have the high speed ones yet? Or am I remembering wrong?

Also just remembered, alot of studios up until relatively recently with ps4 kits expected 4gigs of ram, hell even guerilla. So having devs work on lower speced kits with old instructions isn't exactly unheard of for them. I suppose from their point of view it's no harm no foul since they'll have more to work with in the end. Not suddenly less

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I need to read the article again. Isn't that quote in context of the current devkits but they don't have the high speed ones yet? Or am I remembering wrong?

Also just remembered, alot of studios up until relatively recently with ps4 kits expected 4gigs of ram, hell even guerilla. So having devs work on lower speced kits with old instructions isn't exactly unheard of for them. I suppose from their point of view it's no harm no foul since they'll have more to work with in the end. Not suddenly less

The devkit that was being used to demo Spider-Man was described as a low speed one. We have no idea if the ones that studios already have or are receiving in this newest wave are low speed or not.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Spring release is what's likely I think, Ive been an advocate of a spring release. I didn't expect both though. Someone mentioned on this thread, when final devkits for ps4 went out it was 14 months till launch, assuming the same you'd be looking at June July August....but that was with a huge switch in architecture. So a spring seems VERY plausible to me. Plot twist, what if Xbox launches spring and PlayStation fall?

I've been dead against the possibility of a Spring release but a number of details in recent weeks is slowly changing my mind. Xbox in Spring and PlayStation in Fall would be a huge shock for many. So I say Microsoft should do that if they can.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
As I've said before, if the HBM2 + DDR4 rumor turn out to be true, it will be a winning price/performance combination for Sony. No GDDR6 only solution will be competitive on price/performance.
GDDR6 only is better in regards to price/performance. Both right now and also in the distant future.
Sony would only benefit if they reduce other bottlenecks and tradeoffs with that solution. And Sony only saves money if they get a super good deal and get their economy of scale projections right.

Feb 10, 2018
As I've said before, if the HBM2 + DDR4 rumor turn out to be true, it will be a winning price/performance combination for Sony. No GDDR6 only solution will be competitive on price/performance.

24gb of gddr6 would have more bandwidth the HBM2, so gddr6 would have better performance overall.

And this rumour Sony got some sweet deal "on the bad chips" sounds like such fandream nonsense, what happens when these "bad chips" are all used up, the price go back up lol, and only Sony has access to this deal cos reasons.
Might as well say Sony have unlocked dark matter power and have secret power over AMD 🤣

GameSeeker

Oct 27, 2017
GDDR6 only is better in regards to price/performance. Both right now and also in the distant future.

That is factually incorrect. A 24GB GDDR6 only would be excellent performance, but very expensive, now and in the future. The rumored Sony solution would only use 8GB of expensive HBM2 and use 16GB of low cost DDR4. It's the better price/performance tradeoff.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
That is factually incorrect. A 24GB GDDR6 only would be excellent performance, but very expensive, now and in the future. The rumored Sony solution would only use 8GB of expensive HBM2 and use 16GB of low cost DDR4. It's the better price/performance tradeoff.
but gddr6 will drop in price over time. also at that point your just creating a sudo cache teir set up, even though you dont have to sync files, you want your assets ect to always be in the hbm2 than. its extra work for devs.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
24gb of gddr6 would have more bandwidth the HBM2, so gddr6 would have better performance overall.

It would depend on the bus width used. There are cards out there with 24GB of GDDR6 with about 575GB/s of bandwidth (on a 384-bit bus) - that's not much more than the proposed HBM2+DDR4 setup overall. There'd be other advantages to the GDDR6 approach, but I'm not sure bandwidth would necessarily be a big one, pending bus choice.

Both of those ideas seem very expensive based on published pricing though.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Someone posted that picture of the ms patent with hbm and he said "someone found argalus" or something along those lines. Maybe I misunderstood what was meant? I've been shocked people haven't been talking about it more
The following patent is associated with Mark S. Grossman, lead GPU architect of Xbox

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20180364944.pdf

HBMMS.png

Lots of good stuff on Variable Rate Shading coming from Mr. Grossman
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20190005712.pdf
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/10152819.pdf

Texture filtering
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/WO2018151870A1.pdf

Depth-aware reprojection (for HMD)

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/10129523.pdf

Tile-based texture operations

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/8587602.pdf

He is a former AMD engineer, so you can find him on lots of cross-fire multi-GPU patents as well.

A tweet for some context

Nice to see someone found out what's Arden.
Hope Argalus to be decrypted soon ;)
It's not really clear what he's confirming.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
No, just no.
24GB GDDR6 is 12*2Gb chips on a 384bit GDDR6 memory interface.
8GB HBM2 + 16GB of low cost DDR4 is 2 HBM2 stack + 8*2Gb DDR4 chips on a 256bit DDR4 memory interface.

The second options still requires you to put dram chips on the motherboard. The second options still requires you to use a lot of die space for the memory interface and controller. All while you also have a more expensive and complicated package to produce because of HBM.
It's the worst of both world you combined.

When people talk about the benefit of HBM, they talk about ditching traditional memory for HBM. When you combine it you lose most of them.
The only real advantage for that solution is lower power consumption compared to GDDR6. But even in that case one could argue 16GB of HBM without any DDR4 would be smarter to use.

You really need everything going for you to make that better on a cost/performance basis. And even in that case I remain highly sceptical Sony could do it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
That's the one. Mixed up Arden and argalus. Completely disregard the Twitter troll, a developer on here and tech minded people on beyind3d say he often draws together disparate things and makes wrong conclusions. But yeah, unless I'm mistaken. That's a patent pertaining to hbm

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't they also include the entire card, and not just the GPU die?
Yes, They also include VRAM. All 8GB of it.

Nice post....... I have given up on talking to Colbert about his charts. Now I just look at te as nothing more than his pure personal opinions and not necessarily objective ones. Its like he has some srt f 10TF limit in his head and adjust everything else to meet it.

I mean as you have planted out,he also reference the chart adore TV GPU leak chart (at least now he's acknowledging its existence) and he just somehow ignored the details in that chart. For my calculations I am going to assume that when performance comparisons were made they were referring to the base spec. So no water cooling, just looking at what clocks these GPUs need to be r to hit those specs.

Navi 12 (40CU) is equivalent in power to a Vega 56 (which is an 8-10TF GPU) thats 1570Mhz (8TF) or 1960Mhz (10TF)
Navi 10 (48CU) is equivalent to vega 64 +10%, thats a 10 - 12TF GPU even without adding the 10-15%. So to gt Navi 10 to that performance level clocks will be 1630Mhz (10TF) to 1960Mhz (12TF). Again, stillnot even accounting for the 10-15% better performance which if I did would translate to all round lower clocks.

I am not even going to get into Navi 10 SE.
Yep yep. I think Panello's estimates are getting people to question themselves all over again. We have been through all of this months ago and are now back to discussing sub 10 tflops consoles. lol

I actually think t's ok to trust Panello since he is pretty much the only one here with direct knowledge of MS's plans but he did leave 9 months ago back when MS was sure of having a more powerful console since everyone assumed Sony would be going with a $399 standard fan cooled system. But things have changed since then. When Brad Sams all of a sudden pointed out that MS was only trying to match Sony's performance targets instead of outright blowing past them, it became obvious that MS had underestimated Sony once again and were playing catch up. Panello wouldnt know this because he was already long gone. I would say Brad's sources are much more current than Panello's.

It's very curious that right around the time Brad said that bit about MS matching Sony's performance, we had begun to discuss the SSD rumors and started to take them seriously. I think MS caught wind of it around the same time and made the assumption that Sony wasnt going to go with a $399 console anymore and has since shifted focus to making sure they get the most tflops out of a $499 console. Which time and time again, seems to point to the 14 tflops number.

Anyway, with Cerny confirming devkits are going out soon and MS insiders doing the same, we will find out soon enough.

I am going with
PS5 - 14 tflops
Anaconda - 14-16 tflops.
No Lockheart.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
also at that point your just creating a sudo cache teir set up, even though you dont have to sync files, you want your assets ect to always be in the hbm2 than. its extra work for devs.
If they're using HBCC, which they should, then it's not a sudo cache tiering setup, it is a cache tiering setup and shouldn't be messed with by the devs. The hardware must make cacheing decisions in that kind of setup, not the software.

There's other problems with that design, but that ain't one.

Not necessarily HBM, might be a successor to the esram stack.

You can't really build faster memory than a heavily interleaved SRAM design. I could see more SRAM being used as a L4 cache for the CPU and/or GPU, but not much truly significant there. SRAM is almost incomprehensibly expensive compared to anything else.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
In terms of upscaling techniques, are we expecting checkerboard rendering to still be the go-to standard for next gen, or are we aware of newer techniques that might surpass the results it can give? We know the PS4 Pro has dedicated hardware for CB rendering, I have to imagine the PS5 would have something like that as well.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's the one. Mixed up Arden and argalus. Completely disregard the Twitter troll, a developer on here and tech minded people on beyind3d say he often draws together disparate things and makes wrong conclusions. But yeah, unless I'm mistaken. That's a patent pertaining to hbm
Has anybody really looked into it? The first patent (that incorporates HBM) is about memory that has a logic layer and can perform simple operations without using CPU or GPU resources. It is not about HBM it is about a logical layer that allows independent background operations performed by the memory itself (any DRAM) and not a CPU and GPU. I am not sure if this is something useful for a gaming console quite honestly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.