• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
It is a reference to something said back on neogaf during the next-gen hysteria leading up to the release of the X1/PS4.

While it is kinda funny to read that in retrospect, I do subscribe to the thinking that people can grow. Whoever decided to reference this several year old quote might just be trying to shed a light on an outdated mindset that no longer applies to the original poster. It seems best to leave it in the past unless the original poster has demonstrated a pattern of similar comments over the years since then. I'm sure everyone here has said some silly things in the past and would prefer their history to not come back to haunt them at every turn, especially if they've endeavored to be better since then.

Just my 2 cents.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While it is kinda funny to read that in retrospect, I do subscribe to the thinking that people can grow. Whoever decided to reference this several year old quote might just be trying to shed a light on an outdated mindset that no longer applies to the original poster. It seems best to leave it in the past unless the original poster has demonstrated a pattern of similar comments over the years since then. I'm sure everyone here has said some silly things in the past and would prefer their history to not come back to haunt them at every turn, especially if they've endeavored to be better since then.

Let's not insult everyone's intelligence by pretending it was an honest mistake. He knew what he was doing at the time and why he was doing it. It was part of a pretty broad misinformation campaign, not just a "silly thing" someone said in the past. And it probably would not have even come up just now if he wasn't throwing gasoline on the 8TF PS5 rumor.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
It is my opinion at the end of 2020, Lockheart will be using 10tf as a bottom baseline for the consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
i listened to jason. his very next post said "he had no idea what the specs were". era ran away with it confirmed that ps5 and anaconda were definitely, for sure, greater than 10.7 TF
All I'm saying is that if I was betting money on it, I'd go with >10.6TF.

Funny how we shouldn't be sure of >10.6TF but this discussion around 8TF is back in action. No problem rolling with that one though. I just find it amusing.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018

Funny how we shouldn't be sure of >10.6TF but this discussion around 8TF is back in action. No problem rolling with that one though. I just find it amusing.

Back on action based off someone who admits they don't know anything about Sony's plan but threw out what he thought. Which is basically the same as if one of us threw out what they thought.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

we shouldnt be sure of anything. especially with sony - since we dont even know what they are aiming for price wise (399 vs 499). its perfectly ok to speculate that sony will launch a 8 TF ps5. theres been smoke for that. its also ok to speculate it'll be higher. jason's original post regarding aiming to beat stadia can be used as smoke for this, but not as a definitive statement - especially in light of his (often ignored) follow up post.

fyi, i dont think ive seen ANY posts claiming definitely that ps5 is 8tf. but ive seen plenty that it HAS TO BE more than 10.7!

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
8TF PS5? Is that an upgrade to the PS4 Pro like that? I know they are using the original as the base. That is barely better than the Xbox One X

Oct 25, 2017
we shouldnt be sure of anything. especially with sony - since we dont even know what they are aiming for price wise (399 vs 499). its perfectly ok to speculate that sony will launch a 8 TF ps5. theres been smoke for that. its also ok to speculate it'll be higher. jason's original post regarding aiming to beat stadia can be used as smoke for this, but not as a definitive statement - especially in light of his (often ignored) follow up post.

fyi, i dont think ive seen ANY posts claiming definitely that ps5 is 8tf. but ive seen plenty that it HAS TO BE more than 10.7!
I assume you're talking about the Gonzalo stuff, right? Wasn't that quashed a while back though?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

There has been no smoke that Sony is going with 8TF or anything around that .
We had people running with that for so long but every other leak that was higher people like that won't happen .
Same way we had some people saying SSD won't happen but here we are .
That PS5 being 8TF was base on something that no longer even right .

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
8TF PS5? Is that an upgrade to the PS4 Pro like that? I know they are using the original as the base. That is barely better than the Xbox One X

this is the same, common, mistake i see all the time with the lockheart 4-6 TF comparisons with x1x. even with what little concrete info we do know about next gen, the upgrade is MUCH more than just a TF number.

again, not at all claiming or even speculating, that ps5 would be 8 TF.

I assume you're talking about the Gonzalo stuff, right? Wasn't that quashed a while back though?

There has been no smoke that Sony is going with 8TF or anything around that .
We had people running with that for so long but every other leak that was higher people like that won't happen .
Same way we had some people saying SSD won't happen but here we are .
That PS5 being 8TF was base on something that no longer even right .

i havent been following sony as much as the MS rumors, nor have i gone deep enough down the rabbit hole of speculation. i don't know the basis of the 8 tf rumor. if it has been debunked, 100%, then i apologize.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Calculate 8 teraflops based off of the previous Gonzalo specs = makes sense.

Calculate higher teraflops based off of the upgraded Gonzalo specs = Somehow still 8 teraflops...

We can split hairs with Jason's comment multiple ways, but we also have significantly updated Gonzalo specs to calculate teraflops from as well.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is the same, common, mistake i see all the time with the lockheart 4-6 TF comparisons with x1x. even with what little concrete info we do know about next gen, the upgrade is MUCH more than just a TF number.

i havent been following sony as much as the MS rumors, nor have i gone deep enough down the rabbit hole of speculation. i don't know the basis of the 8 tf rumor. if it has been debunked, 100%, then i apologize.
the same gonzalo APU now has a 1.8Ghz clock speed which gives us 14 tflops.

New benchmarks for it were submitted in April. 3 months after the 1ghz or 8 tflops benchmarks.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ssd pretty much rules out a $399 console. add in 4k uhd, 24gb of RAM, ray tracing and a fancy 3d audio chip and its obvious that it's going to be a premium console.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
ssd pretty much rules out a $399 console. add in 4k uhd, 24gb of RAM, ray tracing and a fancy 3d audio chip and its obvious that it's going to be a premium console.
tbc you could get a ssd in a 399 box, its when combine with everything else. ssd prices are dropping, and will be almost as cheap as hhds by late 2020.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018

Ssd doesn't rule out anything. 256 gb's of it might cost 15 bucks for Sony next year. And the one S has a 4K player and It was 190$ last holiday.

We don't know price yet.

Last edited:

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

the same gonzalo APU now has a 1.8Ghz clock speed which gives us 14 tflops.

New benchmarks for it were submitted in April. 3 months after the 1ghz or 8 tflops benchmarks.

To add to this, the product code denotes a Z on the April sample. As Richard from digital foundry pointed out, that is near completion/production silicon at this point. With little bumps either up or down. So to be VERY conservative, you can guess a 1.4-1.8 range. I'm not even accounting for the fact it could up

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Let's not insult everyone's intelligence by pretending it was an honest mistake. He knew what he was doing at the time and why he was doing it. It was part of a pretty broad misinformation campaign, not just a "silly thing" someone said in the past. And it probably would not have even come up just now if he wasn't throwing gasoline on the 8TF PS5 rumor.

Oh I'm aware of the type of message that post from several years ago is trying to deliver. Regarding the recent 8TF message, well as he points out he is entitled to give his vote in this thread.

Feb 23, 2019
To add to this, the product code denotes a Z on the April sample. As Richard from digital foundry pointed out, that is near completion/production silicon at this point. With little bumps either up or down. So to be VERY conservative, you can guess a 1.4-1.8 range. I'm not even accounting for the fact it could up

Does anyone know what the PS4 and PS4 Pro chips were benchmarked at?

Was it at a higher clock than what the consoles ended up running at or identical?

Should give us a good range of what to expect.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God, this 8TF shit AGAIN?!!!

This retreading of dumb information needs to be stopped at some point or we go back to circles of sane people explaining why it won't happen and those that want to keep pushing a narrative to put their fingers in their ears and go "la la la la"for five pages

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
I did not mean to kick up a hornets nest with my 8tflop comment. I didn't realize it was so controversial or regressive to the common thinking.

I'll stand behind the 8tflop camp (to be fair in the mid-8tflop camp) with the caveat of assuming I also think Sony believes $399 is a winning target price for them.

So I didn't really feel this was a console warrior comment but it appears some took it that way. It's not meant to put any dampener on Sony fans. I have no skin in this game.

As far as the old GAF quote – I rarely address it but here goes.

It's certainly not a post I'm proud of, it's laughable in hindsight, and not my best moment in terms of word choices. But I posted it and I own it. One of the lessons I took away was to be more thoughtful and less hyperbolic in my language as people took the tone and words more seriously then I expected. I also learned that words live on, but context doesn't. All the things I said before that post, and all the clarifications after, get lost to time.

I own what I said in that post, but I don't like the idea that it was part of some intentional misinformation campaign. I was a poster on that forum for years, under my own name, before the launch. I posted for years after. I also was the same person who put an end to all the MrX "Stacked GPU" rumors, and the majority of my posts were about pretty mundane questions about how the system worked. That post was not my best moment, but it was not some coordinated attack on the truth or representative of my engagement overall.

So there is my $02. I appreciate those with supportive comments. If people want to bring up the post to engage in an ad-hominem attack, that fine. It's a different time, and I'm happy to just be able to participate with the community.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I did not mean to kick up a hornets nest with my 8tflop comment. I didn't realize it was so controversial or regressive to the common thinking.

I'll stand behind the 8tflop camp (to be fair in the mid-8tflop camp) with the caveat of assuming I also think Sony believes $399 is a winning target price for them.

So I didn't really feel this was a console warrior comment but it appears some took it that way. It's not meant to put any dampener on Sony fans. I have no skin in this game.

As far as the old GAF quote – I rarely address it but here goes.

It's certainly not a post I'm proud of, it's laughable in hindsight, and not my best moment in terms of word choices. But I posted it and I own it. One of the lessons I took away was to be more thoughtful and less hyperbolic in my language as people took the tone and words more seriously then I expected. I also learned that words live on, but context doesn't. All the things I said before that post, and all the clarifications after, get lost to time.

I own what I said in that post, but I don't like the idea that it was part of some intentional misinformation campaign. I was a poster on that forum for years, under my own name, before the launch. I posted for years after. I also was the same person who put an end to all the MrX "Stacked GPU" rumors, and the majority of my posts were about pretty mundane questions about how the system worked. That post was not my best moment, but it was not some coordinated attack on the truth or representative of my engagement overall.

So there is my $02. I appreciate those with supportive comments. If people want to bring up the post to engage in an ad-hominem attack, that fine. It's a different time, and I'm happy to just be able to participate with the community.

It's cool Albert, you'll always have a place in XBOX history. We still appreciate your insight.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hey Albert Penello ,
take a look at my current baseline prediction. Does this look any kind of possible to you. I just made a new version of it ...
The prediction is threadmarked but you also can use this direct link: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...-anaconda-dont-want-none.112607/post-20024716

Follow-up to TheThreadsThatBindUs
I am as confused as the next member about all the code names. As far as I understand we have to differentiate

code names for consoles by platform holder: Xbox: Scarlett (Familiy), Lockhart, Anaconda, ??? (Streamingbox); Playstation: ???
code names for dev kits by platform holder: Xbox: Dante; Playstation: ???
code names for silicon by platform holder: Xbox: Argurus, Arden; Playstation: ???
code names for silicon by AMD: Xbox: ???; Playstation: Gonzalo

I actually don't know where the Ariel code name has to be assigned to. Maybe someone not as confused as I am can fill in the question marks.

Last edited:

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
We had a 6TF console in 2017. There's zero chance anyone is releasing a 8TF console in 2020 unless it retails at 299.

Let's be real here.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
We had a 6TF console in 2017. There's zero chance anyone is releasing a 8TF console in 2020 unless it retails at 299.

Let's be real here.

That 6tflop console cost $499, and had a Jaguar CPU clocked to the max, and a standard 1tb HDD with 12gb of GDDR5 RAM.

For sure we know that PS5 is Zen, and for sure we know it has an SSD. We can safely assume it will have at least the same amount of RAM as an X, and possibly more. We can safely assume it will use faster RAM, either GDDR6 or HBM. All of that needs to come in a box that's $100 less.

8tflop is not out of equation at this point, IMO. These components all cost money, so I'm not sure why 8tflops is such a joke. If you believe they are going to $499 I can understand your position. But $399? Let's look at a Pro: 4.2 tflops, jaguar, 8gb and 1tb HDD. 8tlfops is double a Pro, with a CPU at what - 4x or more the perf? With double-ish the ram and a much faster storage solution at the same price? That's a huge upgrade any way you look at it.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
That 6tflop console cost $499, and had a Jaguar CPU clocked to the max, and a standard 1tb HDD with 12gb of GDDR5 RAM.

For sure we know that PS5 is Zen, and for sure we know it has an SSD. We can safely assume it will have at least the same amount of RAM as an X, and possibly more. We can safely assume it will use faster RAM, either GDDR6 or HBM. All of that needs to come in a box that's $100 less.

8tflop is not out of equation at this point, IMO. These components all cost money, so I'm not sure why 8tflops is such a joke. If you believe they are going to $499 I can understand your position. But $399? Let's look at a Pro: 4.2 tflops, jaguar, 8gb and 1tb HDD. 8tlfops is double a Pro, with a CPU at what - 4x or more the perf? With double-ish the ram and a much faster storage solution at the same price? That's a huge upgrade any way you look at it.
can you even get usable navi chips at 4tfps? seems like the 299 box would be 6tfps wouldnt it?

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony can subsidize though. Wouldn't be the first time.
They could but they don't need it like Microsoft and their heavily polarized customerbase between an entry-level/enthusiast. Like you said after this quote, it's a commercial problem they have to solve with technical means, and specific to the Xbox market.

Monkhaus

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Then bashed MS when it was announced with the $250 MSRP.
Exactly thank you. Some sense.
6tf in 2017 have to be At least 10 in 2020?
Take it the other way 2013 1,84tf , 2016 4,2 tf so 2020 maybe 9 tf?!?

And then everyone is awaiting a ssd, new and more sophisticated ram, a new gen of a cpu and what else?

Ok but for sure there will be rt Hardware &14tf for 399....dream on

Status
Not open for further replies.