• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
Not until Dante was released its first version (this month actually) and devs made judgement on these devkits.

But I still would use the word "aim" since devkits couldn't represent the final version, and MS clearly aims at becoming the Performance Leader.
https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/
Then Cerny does the same thing on a next-gen devkit connected to a different TV. (The devkit, an early "low-speed" version, is concealed in a big silver tower, with no visible componentry.) What took 15 seconds now takes less than one: 0.8 seconds, to be exact.
PS5 devkits is currently early "low speed" version according to the Wired article. So i wouldn't read too much into devkit comparison at such early stage.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue is that the people saying the xbox being better than ps5 are saying it in a way of a factual context instead of "potential" or educated guess. That wired article only gave numbers for Zen2 with 8 cores. That's it. How can you objectively say that xbox is going to perform better in resolution, graphical capability, and framerate when you don't even have numbers from Xbox side? Let alone numbers on RAM, CPU/GPU clocks, etc. The only real observation that Sony seems to be focusing on is the "no loading times". You might think there MS is going with SSD for next gen, but you don't know to what extent the speed of that SSD is or its controller, and it was actually demoed by Mark Cerny to the interviewer.

TL:DR version. No one can objectively state that MS is going to be better performing than Sony next gen console-wise as of today.

Yep right now we know they aiming for it.
They also got the 2 models so it could also be easier for them to get it done .
But as for right now no one know who is going to be more powerful as a fact .

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Man I need a credible and detailed leak because this is looking to be the most obnoxious intergenerationalgaming period ever. I need substance to get me through

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
wording is Abit vague .x1 had few games were it performed better than ps4 despite being weaker console .I m just saying wording is more like PR talk rather than engineer talk as it leaves many thing to ur imagination

TL:DR version. No one can objectively state that MS is going to be better performing than Sony next gen console-wise as of today.
Yeah you're right I don't disagree with you. I was talking more about the hostility towards the discussion by some people which comes across more as a personal thing towards perhaps rival platform being better in some way.

Then again I could be reading it into it all wrong. Everyone makes mistakes.

Last edited:

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Talking about bookmark worthy posts.... 8TF PS5...

Hey! I get a vote, don't I? I'm not going to make a huge "stake in the ground" claim on any number. But I have my reasons for believing that's where they will land. I'm voting in the 8 range. But I'm not claiming there is "no way" its more or less. That's just my vote.

There are some people speaking in absolutes, which is more what I'm referring to.

PS4 Pro and PS4 Base will - imo - be products that end their lifecycle at the same time.

Unless there's cross-gen games where it cannot run on base, but can do so on Pro/5, it makes no sense to ditch the most low cost and affordable model.

I think there may be a misunderstanding - Sony in particular, historically, has carried their previous gen into the next for at least 3 years. I would be surprised if they broke that model this time around. Therefore my point is, if they moved 100% of their production to the Pro, it would raise the overall bar for development and drive costs down. Basically - they are going to do it anyway IMO, so might as well be the pro.

just curious, what your thoughts are on anaconda. Do you think MS is pretty determined to make anaconda more powerful than the ps5?

I won't really comment directly on Microsoft stuff, since I know the plan. I'm not avoiding the questions I'm just actively not answering them :)

2013-gen consoles are severely hindered by their Jaguar CPUs. It would be undesirable to anchor/tether next-gen consoles to them. Especially in light of what is arriving next.

See above. I think they would hold the consoles for a few years *anyway* - so moving from a mix of Base/Pro to all Pro *would* raise the bar somewhat is the point.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Wasn't it supposed to be alot of information about scarlet family after GDC this year according to hmqgg posts?! stuff like ray tracing etc
his claims are just fanfictions to me

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the only people who are gonna be able to answer if Nextbox/PS5 is more "powerful" are gonna be peeps who work for AMD. And tbh, those guys aren't gonna be leaking anything. They have no incentive to try and sway opinion either way and a lot of incentives to keep their customers happy by keeping NDAs. I'd be surprised if they didn't have different teams for each console with minor overlap.

I'm gonna be ignoring any info from any MS or Sony affiliated insiders about which is more powerful. Still way too many variables IMO for that kind of declaration since we're a good 18 mths from potential launches.

I don't see any official numbers / spec sheet coming out until this time next year. Closest we will get until then is if someone from EA (or another huge multiplat) decides to leak if they access to both devkits. Even then you still end up with the "how much of the devkit makes it into consumer model?" question.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
One last question :Why people keep saying anacando wants to have best "performance " instead of best graphics ?
In my opinion?

Because I don't think that it is possible for one console to be much better than the other.

We are expecting both consoles to launch next year and use the same hardware from AMD.

Zen 2 CPU and Navi GPU. Both will have SSD. Probably both will have ray tracing. And of course both will be native 4K consoles.

Best performance. Hardware leader. Everyone just repeating what Spencer said that is Microsoft's goal.

Personally I strongly believe that any performance difference will not play any significant role for the success of each next generation console but usually this thread is just all about that.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Right, what I'm saying is that while the proof can be interesting, what he was "proving" by itself isn't that interesting.

Saying that MS "aims for anaconda to be stronger than the PS5" isn't being proved here, so whatever Nibel found interesting doesn't amount to much for the underlying claim.

If I was creating a house of wood and someone gave Nibel proof that my neighbour is doing the same but only using materials that would surprise anyone or are unknown to the mass. While we both get a house where we can live in, the one is clearly better option than other.

Im thinking the proof was something technical that could surprise even Sony.

Jan 17, 2019
Not until Dante was released its first version (this month actually) and devs made judgement on these devkits.

But I still would use the word "aim" since devkits couldn't represent the final version, and MS clearly aims at becoming the Performance Leader.

giphy.gif

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If I was creating a house of wood and someone gave Nibel proof that my neighbour is doing the same but only using materials that would surprise anyone or are unknown to the mass. While we both get a house where we can live in, the one is clearly better option than other.

Im thinking the proof was something technical that could surprise even Sony.
Nibel just confirmed klobre told him his position in the industry and why he would know . Not that he showed anything to Nibel about specs

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
No one is taking offence and I m even 100 % sure it will be 10 to 20,% stronger
Fun fact, but looking at the last 26 years of 3d consoles (and handhelds) there's not a single instance of two competing machines(within same 'generation') being within 10% (or 20% for that matter)*. Of course - most of them also don't share price point (and/or release dates).
While under assumption of similar price and release date, 10-20% difference might sound reasonable, it's really betting against the odds based on data to date :P

*Admittedly the measure of computational power isn't as simple with older hw, but I am willing to fight on that hill.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

It is the Scarlett devkit codename. It reminds me of something though. There is only one devkit for both Anaconda and Lockhart, right? So doesn't that suggest that the base architecture is the same between the two? i.e. CPU/GPU/RAM would be the same just at different clocks and amount of RAM?

Or is this wrong and there will be two separate devkits for Anaconda and Lockhart?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this gets more interesting as we go with Albert Penello chiming in with an "about 8TF" guess on PS5 and of course also knowing the Xbox plan that he can't really respond to for obvious reasons. It sure seems like the master plan that he is aware of was something pretty powerful on the Xbox side.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017

Just wondering, what would happen if you shared all that you know? :)
Would it be trouble for you?

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
It is the Scarlett devkit codename. It reminds me of something though. There is only one devkit for both Anaconda and Lockhart, right? So doesn't that suggest that the base architecture is the same between the two? i.e. CPU/GPU/RAM would be the same just at different clocks and amount of RAM?

Or is this wrong and there will be two separate devkits for Anaconda and Lockhart?
prity much seems to be that way. the weaker version is most likely a weaker gpu/slower ssd/ less cooling/ weaker psu ect.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man, this gets more interesting as we go with Albert Penello chiming in with an "about 8TF" guess on PS5 and of course also knowing the Xbox plan that he can't really respond to for obvious reasons. It sure seems like the master plan that he is aware of was something pretty powerful on the Xbox side.
Didn't Jason shrier confirmed that both anacando and ps5 are above 10.7 TF ?

Feb 8, 2018
The cost will be high but there are wildly different levels of fidelity to RT, for instance between medium and high RT shadows in Shadow of The Tomb Raider you can see a 40% difference in performance and obviously it all scales with resolution. My guess is that we will see RT on launch day in Forza 8 for reflactions, it seems like a nice PR point for Microsoft.

I though that Ryzen 2 doesn't support quad channel.

yeah I think especially modern urban enviroments will benefit from reflections while wildlands will be refined differently but we're still far away from something that looks like the Lion King trailer but I expect getting a good step closer to that next-gen

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I'll just repost what I wrote in the other thread here:

The moment it was 'leaked' to us that MS has a 2-SKU strategy, one could immediately make an educated guess that the reason for that is because they want to have their premium SKU be the most powerful SKU in the market. We saw this with the X this gen, and we knew prior to that that the X was a strategic move to reclaim the power throne which MS valued a lot. There's absolutely nothing weird about MS still wanting and aiming to have the power crown.

Will they achieve that goal? We won't know until the final specs are out there.

Technically we knew that Microsoft was going to have multiple consoles next-generation from Phil Spencer himself...before we got the codenames for the 2SKUs.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He absolutely did NOT do that. I am pretty sure that he was just throwing out his thought that both would want to beat the Stadia number, not really trying to give inside info or anything.
And Albert is confirming 8tf ps5? He did not .u just chose to see it that way cause that is what you want to see .

Albert didn't confirm ps5 is 8tf .he just said it's his opinion .Jason said he has heard from his sources(not his thoughts ) that anacando and ps5 are aiming to be above 10.7 TF of stadia.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Or maybe Microsoft are severely underestimating the PS5 because 8TF sounds very conservative.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
And Albert is confirming 8tf ps5? He did not .u just chose to see it that way cause that is what you want to see .

Albert didn't confirm ps5 is 8tf .he just said it's his opinion .Jason said he has heard from his sources(not his thoughts ) that anacando and ps5 are aiming to be above 10.7 TF of stadia.

I wasn't in any way saying that Albert was confirming that, as he himself said it was nothing more than a guess. I do find it interesting that he says that he has reason to believe in his guess though. I don't think that Jason was necessarily going on record with that one sentence as being from his "sources" either though.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

He never claimed that Albert confirmed it though... It sounds like an educated guess.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wasn't in any way saying that Albert was confirming that, as he himself said it was nothing more than a guess. I do find it interesting that he says that he has reason to believe in his guess though. I don't think that Jason was necessarily going on record with that one sentence as being from his "sources" either though.
Anyways we r going in circles. Hope we makes things more clear .

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Nice of you to join us, bdsams! Welcome!

Just going by what you said earlier, it somewhat confirms what I've believed to be the case since the Wired interview.

The consoles may be similarly priced, and have similar performance, but still focus on different things. So for example, MS might have invested in a beefier, higher-clocked GPU for their console, but the SSD or RAM isn't quite as fast and advanced as on the PS5 etc.

Which to me is exciting!

It means that it isn't about who spends more, it's about them trying to figure out the best configuration for their vision of what 'next-gen' entails, within similar budget constraints.

The marketing will be interesting... The differences don't seem to be as clear-cut as with the PRO and the X.

Is that a correct assumption?

Sirolf

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Le Mans , France
A lot of MS insiders since the semi-reveal of the next PS....So a genuine interest to have more infos in the wild or damage control ? (8Tflops really ? Again?)

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A lot of MS insiders since the semi-reveal of the next PS....So a genuine interest to have more infos in the wild or damage control (8Tflops really ? Again?)
After Sony's PS5 reveal the number of insiders with the word better" performance" has imdeed drastically increased . Hopefully it will calm down soon enough and we see what's happening at e3 and get more solid info.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Are u 2 serious ? May I ask how old u guys are ? Stop acting like 8 year olds .this is thread for everyone to discuss amd speculate about next gen and if u r joking then sorry for not getting the joke :/

If you don't want people to act like 8 years old, then you are in the wrong thread.
I just checked this thread last few pages and it is on another level of embarrassment ROFL.
Never change Era!

Feb 10, 2018
12tflop gpu
24gb gddr6
3.2ghz 8 core zen 2

Is about what I expected though, a new gen console tend to have gpu power of the best gpu(from the Sam vendor) from 3yrs prior. A vega 64.

Vega 64 is actually a great outcome people were expecting more vega 56 at the beginning of these threads.

It's also odd that that 8-9tflops used to be quite accepted but now it's like an insult?

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
What the hell is a teraflop

To be honest with you: If this was a classroom and the teacher asked me to give you the answer to this, I wouldn't be able to do so without looking it up in the book LOL

There's this article quoting Mark Cerny back in 2016 saying that, in his personal estimation, the minimal TFlops required to render games in native 4K is 8TFlops. We're talking about current gen games and not next-gen games, though.

I personally don't think the poll means that much regarding expectations because TFlops could be measured differently come Navi architecture. Although, the general expectation is 8*TFlops for any console that's aiming at (native?)4K resolution gaming next-gen, with Mark Cerny quote or not.

*current

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-what-the-hell-is-a-teraflop-anyway

Are there any sony insiders in this forum? All seem to be connected to MS.

Sony Samurais are not letting any info coming out of the building alive. Poor fellas have to resort to 4chan, where rumors get dimissed. Later this year, we'll probably find this 4chan leak from 2018 that was spot on with every first year title for the PS5 or something like that. Probably. Did this happen with the PS4/Orbis?

Okay to shift to another prediction. 3 days in we already have reached 40 pages.

Poll:
Will this thread last until E3 or will it reach its 400 pages limit before E3 starts?
405 pages before E3 and 396 of those pages is about whether the XboxNext will be more powerful than the PS5 purely based on guessing.

My expectation is next thread after and not before E3, yeah. I don't think something shocking will be revealed in the next 48 days remaining until E3 that will be enough to boost this thread's activity. Either way, I think we're required to create a new thread after E3 whether we close this one or not, though. Hopefully, we'll have a name for the Xbox console by then. If they pull the same thing they did with the X by revealing it as "Project Scorpio" for a whole year... that'd be lame. PlayStation really nailed their naming schemes by keeping it simple, at least compared to the other folks.

Please tell me you're not refering to this --->

Spicy

Yeah this has become an X thread. OP even put Anaconda in the title. We need a Sony HW spec thread.

The reason behind this is because we'll probably know about Anaconda by E3*, as we now know about some of PS5 specs. I could've gone with an Xbox Snek title too, but that would've been too much, IMO

*which will, hopefully, include info on the name of the console, too

Status
Not open for further replies.