• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't read it as that at all. He's reading it (like all of us were) that 2-3 times the perfomance of RAM as compared to the next xbox. The whole point of that post was the ram performance.
This doesn't make sense. He's clearly refuting the comparison.

Regardless, I've made my position clear on it. If he knows what MS is doing, he likely has an idea if it's even possible to do it 16x faster (or whatever the 4chan guy claimed).

As a general point, however, my post about insiders still stands.

It doesn't take an insider to see that that 4chan post is bullcrap. I think ROFL is a reasonable response from anybody reading that.

I agree with the larger point that all insider/leaked/hinted information should be taken with caution. Until something is confirmed directly, it's still just rumor/speculation/prediction with varying degrees of reasonability.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I believe (could be wrong, we have been talking about this for a long time) I stated that Microsoft was aiming to match the price point of the PS5 with Anaconda. Lockhart should be cheaper, aka the value device, for the next gen.

From what I have been hearing, it is my expectation that Anaconda will top PS5 in terms of raw specs, that's the expectation but there are a lot of variables to this equation.

Thanks for any insight you can share Brad, as the rest of us are basically just wandering the desert and throwing out crazy stuff with no "sources" of any kind, LOL.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I believe (could be wrong, we have been talking about this for a long time) I stated that Microsoft was aiming to match the price point of the PS5 with Anaconda. Lockhart should be cheaper, aka the value device, for the next gen.

From what I have been hearing, it is my expectation that Anaconda will top PS5 in terms of raw specs, that's the expectation but there are a lot of variables to this equation.
More powerful and cheaper! Thanks Brad

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

This is very interesting also your vids are always great to watch. good job.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I believe this is still accurate, what I wrote is that the console would be $200 or less - when you add the value of the three games it comes with in, this is accurate. If SoT, FH3, and Minecraft are worth ~$20 or more, than the console is less than $200.
fRkZe5U.png

Welcome to the forums and this thread.

Prepare to be mobbed by the starving horde ;)

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019

OK that's interesting
Anaconda and PS5 499,-
Lockhart 299 - 399. Beating Sony at the Same Price Point is tough.

bdsams

Executive Editor of Petri.com and Thurrott.com
Verified
Apr 23, 2019
Let me ask you if I understood correctly what was said by yourself some comments ago:
You are expecting Anaconda matching the same price point as the PS5 and being more powerful? Interesting ...

Yes, but again, this is going to be the target, not explicitly the results.

Microsoft doesn't know what Sony will price the PS5 at, but it's reasonable to assume it's going to be $3-499-ish, this is what Microsoft will target as well.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Constructive criticism is fine, it's impossible to be 100% right all the time unless you are Phil Spencer.

Here's a question for you then that has feck all to do with Powah, what's your inclination for E3 and how they reveal the new hardware? You think it'll be just like what they did with Scorpio, less detail than that or do they go into even more detail? All eyes are going to be on them and first impressions are bound to be critical.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I believe (could be wrong, we have been talking about this for a long time) I stated that Microsoft was aiming to match the price point of the PS5 with Anaconda.

Don't wanna be a pain in the ass, and sorry if it comes that way, but what you actually said was that MS was looking to match the specs, and hence that they'd be very similar in raw power.

Have you been privy to more info that made you change the stance?

Maybe that MS will be willing to eat more of a loss than Sony?

If that's the case, is MS privy to that kind of info from Sony (i.e. how.much of a loss are they willing to take)?

Edit: adding another question after mine has been answered in another post

Microsoft doesn't know what Sony will price the PS5 at, but it's reasonable to assume it's going to be $3-499-ish, this is what Microsoft will target as well.

How can they target the same price if they still don't know if it's gonna be either $399 or $499?

That seem a bit of a stretch, doesn't it?

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe this is still accurate, what I wrote is that the console would be $200 or less - when you add the value of the three games it comes with in, this is accurate. If SoT, FH3, and Minecraft are worth ~$20 or more, than the console is less than $200.
fRkZe5U.png
You are just trying to reshape reality to fit your false claims. Pack in games or no, the actual price you pay upfront is more than $200.

Ergo, the Xbox One SAD is not available for less than $200.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Of course we are currently talk about intentions and targets, a lot of things can change until the release window in 2020. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I hope your sources will keep you and Jez feeding information about what to expect. Some information about specs like amount of memory would be quite useful at the moment as we are still unclear about the amount of memory and the type of memory we will find in the consoles.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe (could be wrong, we have been talking about this for a long time) I stated that Microsoft was aiming to match the price point of the PS5 with Anaconda. Lockhart should be cheaper, aka the value device, for the next gen. .

This right here is whats so crucial. (Didnt quote Brad directly because i dont want to flood his notifications.)

The fact that MS has to match Sony's price point with Anaconda makes it VERY difficulty for them to outdo Sony when it comes to raw specs.

Assuming both Sony and MS are going for a 7nm Navi APU retailing for $500, how will MS figure out how to get more tflops into a box when Sony and AMD cant?

If anything it's Sony who seems to be thinking outside the box with the inclusion of HBM2 ram reducing the overall TDP and overclocking the GPU to beat MS. Though it's entirely possible that the reddit leak got it wrong and it was MS who thought of the whole HBM2 workaround.

I think it was fine to assume that MS would have the most powerful box when we all assumed Sony was either launching at $399 or in Spring 2020. Since both of those scenarios appear unlikely, i just dont see how MS could release a console at the same time, for the same price but with better specs. Both Sony and MS should be taking a $100 loss on every console anyway. Surely MS isnt willing to take a $200 loss.

Lastly, the only way i think MS can have a sizeable spec advantage is if they are working with AMD on the Arcturus 7nm chip instead of the Navi chip all this time. now that would be a megaton.

bdsams

Verified
Apr 23, 2019
You are just trying to reshape reality to fit your false claims. Pack in games or no, the actual price you pay upfront is more than $200.

Ergo, the Xbox One SAD is not available for less than $200.

This is the reality of the world that we live in, thinking this information shows up on a silver platter with all the marketing details 6 months before it is released is not how this world works - I wish Phil called me up after drinking a bottle of scotch and set out the roadmap but that's a dream for now.

I was told that the console would be $200 or less was the target and then they tossed in games to artificially raise the price to $250 likely to cover up the fact that the console ended up being more expensive to manufacture than expected.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the reality of the world that we live in, thinking this information shows up on a silver platter with all the marketing details 6 months before it is released is not how this world works - I wish Phil called me up after drinking a bottle of scotch and set out the roadmap but that's a dream for now.

I was told that the console would be $200 or less was the target and then they tossed in games to artificially raise the price to $250 likely to cover up the fact that the console ended up being more expensive to manufacture than expected.
Did that little metal plate covering the amputated disc drive cost too much or something?

xem

Oct 31, 2017

Really appreciate your transparency and helping us understand. Follow you and love your content. Thanks so much for your contributions. Any info is always welcome :)

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Hey before people run bdsams off, let's see if he answers the question about whether he still expects Xbox next gen hardware coverage at E3.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess having a rational retort wasn't an option.
I guess what we learned here is that insiders rarely get accurate information and it's best to not to take them on their word without a grain of salt.

Especially when they claim that actual employees and designers speaking on the record are somehow liars.

bdsams

Verified
Apr 23, 2019
Hey before people run bdsams off, let's see if he answers the question about whether he still expects Xbox next gen hardware coverage at E3.

Yes, last I heard was soft specs - aka - similar to what Sony has announced so far. Sbj to change obviously as it's a couple of months out.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
It doesn't take an insider to see that that 4chan post is bullcrap. I think ROFL is a reasonable response from anybody reading that.

I agree with the larger point that all insider/leaked/hinted information should be taken with caution. Until something is confirmed directly, it's still just rumor/speculation/prediction with varying degrees of reasonability.

It takes some knowledge to be able to refute the 4chan claim outrightly, yes. As such an insider who has more knowledge than us would be uniquely placed to be able to refute such a claim.

So on that point I respectfully disagree.

The bane of this thread for many months.

Succinctly put.

bdsams my friend...leave before you lose your sanity. Jez picture was just a snippet of the crazies. :D

Posts like this aren't constructive, add nothing to the thread discussion and actually seem to be grossly mischaracterizing the majority of posts addressing Brad Sams in this thread so far.

Honestly, I'm baffled you've taken this stance... oh wait... no i'm not.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
bdsams
Be aware that your posts here will be shortly subject of many news articles about how the Xbox will be more powerful while having the same price. Will be interesting to see what "news outlet" is jumping first on it LOL

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, last I heard was soft specs - aka - similar to what Sony has announced so far. Sbj to change obviously as it's a couple of months out.

Thanks. Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything too in depth. Maybe the most interesting thing for me will be in their messaging around the hardware. IF they continue to talk about being the most powerful/industry leading hardware type stuff then I will start to get more confident that they are going all in enough to not feel any risk in that messaging after some initial PS5 info has come out.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
bdsams
Be aware that your posts here will be shortly subject of many news articles about how the Xbox will be more powerful while having the same price. Will be interesting to see what "news outlet" is jumping first on it LOL

I'm more interested to know how Anaconda is expected/aiming to be more powerful/advanced than PS5 when no real numbers were given on either side. Also, how is Cerny lying about the SSD load times when it was actually demoed to the interviewer?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I imagine they'll announce soft specs that at least match what Sony has put out there to go blow for blow.

If you're right about Halo Infinite opening the show, them teasing it as being run on early dev kits might add some sizzle to it all.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Appreciate you posting in this thread, it's really exciting stuff. I'm really curious how MS plans to out due Sony here and I can't wait to find out haha.

bdsams

Verified
Apr 23, 2019
bdsams

Here's the problem with this...in what ways is it more powerful - is it TFLOPS, more RAM, higher clock speed, faster BUS speed, all of the above? - we don't fully know yet.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Posts like this aren't constructive, add nothing to the thread discussion and actually seem to be grossly mischaracterizing the majority of posts addressing Brad Sams in this thread so far.

Honestly, I'm baffled you've taken this stance... out wait... no i'm not.
There are plenty of posts that aren't constructive in this thread but you chose mine? I'm baffled at why? Oh wait, no i'm not. Seeing how people talked about brad and all of a sudden turn their attitude once he's actually "here" is funny, which is something someone else said as well. Yea, it's not surprising I've taken this stance as I have "defended" Brad as a legitimate reporter unlike people who are in this very thread who basically try to downplay his information. Continue on with the next-gen discussion. I won't comment further on your reply.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My theory is that Microsoft was caught off guard about the implementation of SSD in the PS5. A likely NVMe chip over PCIe 4.0 speeds. I believe that the talk we've heard about MS having an SSD in the Xbox Scarlett was that it was just going to be a 2.5" standard SSD over SATA.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
My theory is that Microsoft was caught off guard about the implementation of SSD in the PS5. A likely NVMe chip over PCIe 4.0 speeds. I believe that the talk we've heard about MS having an SSD in the Xbox Scarlett was that it was just going to be a 2.5" standard SSD over SATA.

Yeah, that definitely sounds spot on there. You have it figured out.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Here's the problem with this...in what ways is it more powerful - is it TFLOPS, more RAM, higher clock speed, faster BUS speed, all of the above? - we don't fully know yet.
My comment was more pointing to the news cycle to expect out of your comments here: ERA -> Internet -> ERA. Personally I don't really care if there will be a difference in performance with the top consoles. For me some other things are more important like noise levels, faster loading times, cross platform play & progression and being able to trade digital licenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.