• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
I had once asked about dual CPU in the old thread. My reasoning was if Stadia can combine CPU/GPU/RAM from 2 single instances into a super instance then why can't chiplets let you do the same thing.

Stadia hardware lives in a server rack where noise, heat, power and cost considerations are completely different. You can build a console this way, it just wouldn't be a very good idea as it would be inefficient. Stadia can use brute force to overcome the inherent inefficiency, because they can always just throw more hardware at the problem even if doubling the hardware allocation is only adding 50% to the performance.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Adding eDRAM as L4 to reduce GDDR latency for system functions sounds interesting. Wonder if it will function better than the PS5 split RAM rumor.
Intel had a CPU they put 128MB of eDRAM on to help integrated graphics. Problem was it helped with games in discrete graphics too.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...c-edrams-impact-on-gaming-performance.236514/

Now I'm confused because there are no specs quoted? Just some claims about architecture.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Most important question, matte black for both or is someone going to do it wrong again and go gloss. Sony can maybe go a bit above their bottom tier plastic but I suppose it's a money saver for hitting price points, I always notice their plastic though, it's so uniquely PlayStation since the PStwo and PS3 slim.

As for colour, anyone going different. If Microsoft do two, they may go black and white. Do you want a new colour for launch PS5?

Grey electronics, time for a return?

That would be fun.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Most important question, matte black for both or is someone going to do it wrong again and go gloss. Sony can maybe go a bit above their bottom tier plastic but I suppose it's a money saver for hitting price points, I always notice their plastic though, it's so uniquely PlayStation since the PStwo and PS3 slim.

As for colour, anyone going different. If Microsoft do two, they may go black and white. Do you want a new colour for launch PS5?

Grey electronics, time for a return?

I'd actually like a matte black PS5 with PlayStation blue highlights. like on the logo and in a few other small places like a couple lines here and there to accent the design. Maybe leave a few breaks in lines on the blue accents so when you turn on the console it fills in the breaks to give a complete look.

Nov 30, 2017
I'd actually like a matte black PS5 with PlayStation blue highlights. like on the logo and in a few other small places line a couple lines here and there to accent the design. Maybe leave a few breaks in lines on the blue accents so when you turn on the console it fills in the breaks to give a complete look.

This sounds good. I also want black to go with the other componets i have in my stand

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Only viable info imo is Nextbox's memory setup. Looks like they're going with GDDR6 and a chip to help with latency for the OS and other features when they need the RAM. Remains to be seen if it would be less or more effective than HBM+DDR4 with HBCC.

It would be nice to have some real differentiating factors like in the days of exotic Arch's. I don't want exotic, but it would be nice to see some conversation surrounding power that doesn't come down to "my number is bigger than yours". Makes for better discourse

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
OMG its 2013/14 and 15 again. Posting "info" from Mr X's right hand man, Cteam, the guy is an absolute crackpot of epic proportions. Carry on LMAO.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
OMG its 2013/14 and 15 again. Posting "info" from Mr X's right hand man, Cteam, the guy is an absolute crackpot of epic proportions. Carry on LMAO.
People will ignore from whom the information is coming from as long as it confirms their bias. I personally can't wait for actual real leaks to start coming out, it will be glorious.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
O
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I would assume that Lockhart will be fully 4K-capable in terms of output and playing old games. My conception of it since I heard of it was that it would basically be an X with higher RAM bandwidth and a Zen2 CPU. So it would play everything the X can looking just as good as on the X (though probably with better performance), while also playing all Scarlett games at cut-down resolutions that would probably be around 1080p but would really be up to the devs.

That's why I think the word about a 4TF Lockhart is very suspect, unless a 4TF Navi GPU slightly exceeds the X GPU, which seems unlikely.

I agree. I would expect Lockheart to deliver better than XB1X performance in cross-gen / BC games, and next-gen exclusive games at 1440p to 4k with CBR (or other such image reconstruction technique).

I believe one place where the code names come from is the PCI-ID site: https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/v2.2/pci.ids

http:///jnsd.png

13E9-Ariel. Gonzalo AMD code number has 13E9 as Navi 10 Lite.

Cheers for the reference.... do we know where the Ariel = PS5 link comes from then?

Gonzalo is assumed to be a next-gen console based on the 13E9 equating to this Ariel thing... but no-one seems to be able to find a source for the link between Ariel and PS5...?

So far it seems people are assuming Ariel is PS5 because Ariel = Gonzalo, while Gonzalo = PS5 because Gonzalo = Ariel... which is circular reasoning.

I am almost 100% positive we will see launch games with raytracing, and yes you can 100% see the difrince in any video you look at.

First party exclusives not launching on XB1S? Sure... 3rd Party cross-gen titles? No chance.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Microsoft don't mess up with the memory. Make it easy for devs.
They need every advantage they can get next gen and delivering a hardware that appeals to consumers and devs is key. I believe they will dedicate a lot more resources into research and development of the next Xbox hardware.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree. I would expect Lockheart to deliver better than XB1X performance in cross-gen / BC games, and next-gen exclusive games at 1440p to 4k with CBR (or other such image reconstruction technique).

Cheers for the reference.... do we know where the Ariel = PS5 link comes from then?

Gonzalo is assumed to be a next-gen console based on the 13E9 equating to this Ariel thing... but no-one seems to be able to find a source for the link between Ariel and PS5...?

So far it seems people are assuming Ariel is PS5 because Ariel = Gonzalo, while Gonzalo = PS5 because Gonzalo = Ariel... which is circular reasoning.

First party exclusives not launching on XB1S? Sure... 3rd Party cross-gen titles? No chance.
your forgeting pc will have had raytracing for almost 3 years by that point. there will be devs that have versions of their games with raytracing by end of 2020.

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
Here's my question for peeps: since the Wired interview happened in part to stay ahead of devkits going out, when do we think actual leaks will appear? Few weeks from now? Couple months? Any guesses?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
your forgeting pc will have had raytracing for almost 3 years by that point. there will be devs that have versions of their games with raytracing by end of 2020.

No I'm not.

AAA games make most of their money on consoles and the whole point of doing cross-gen games is to take advantage of the massive installed base of current-gen consoles -- which don't support RT'ing... sooooo..

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
The info is literally backed up by an insider in this thread lol.
Oh? I don't see any insider here with a post about what they know or don't know. This is why i kind of liked the idea of CBoat account through which information was posted anonymously, albeit some pieces of information were bogus but still it was a fun ride.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No I'm not.

AAA games make most of their money on consoles and the whole point of doing cross-gen games is to take advantage of the massive installed base of current-gen consoles -- which don't support RT'ing... sooooo..
I still think any game that started development in the last 6 to 8 months will have a version with raytracing. its a built in to both UE4 and unity.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
No I'm not.

Ehhh... I remember hearing that despite the install base thing, cross-gen games sold a great majority of their units on next-gen, even launch titles. Also, apparently devs are jumping into next-gen more quickly this time because people aren't buying into the 'consoles are dead' bullshit.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except it's not a 2x GPU upgrade... not perceptively and thus meaningfully so. In the first 12 months of cross-gen games, Lockheart essentially offers XB1S owners very little reason to upgrade at all, and PS4 owners zero reason at all to transition as both Lockheart and PS4 versions of 3rd party games will be 1080p.

I honestly don't see Lockheart being meaningful as a product if its less than XB1X's GPU performance.

So your argument is next gen won't look any better?

here's another way to look at it:
X1S: medium settings at 1080p
Lockheart: High settings at 1080p
X1X: medium settings at 4k
Anaconda: High settings at 4k

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh... I remember hearing that despite the install base thing, cross-gen games sold a great majority of their units on next-gen, even launch titles. Also, apparently devs are jumping into next-gen more quickly this time because people aren't buying into the 'consoles are dead' bullshit.
You're right.

Last gen sales died rather quickly. I'm sure that had to do with PS3/360 lasting for so long though. It will remain to be seen if the same happens to this gen. I do think next gen will carry the bulk of sales either way though.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

This is the link stating Ariel = Navi 10 LITE = PS5.
You are confused. He's debunking the handwritten "leak".

Understood that part, but I was trying to separate which part he was confirming for the Arden post since there was overlap with regards to RCC and a lot of extra stuff thrown in.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this is the first gen, excuding a switch, I skipped. my pc was better than a ps4/xb1. consoles arent dying, but they need to be something worth buying also. as it stands I am 10x more intreasted with nextgen, if roumers turn out to be true, than I ever was with the ps4/xb1.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I still think any game that started development in the last 6 to 8 months will have a version with raytracing. its a built in to both UE4 and unity.

Minor RT features like RT'd reflections? Sure.

Full RT'd global illumination... no chance. Not until the vast majority of the installed hardware platforms support it in a meaningful way (i.e. not just full DXR feature support, but actually being fast enough to do everything at reasonable framerates and IQ).

Doesn't matter. Devs/pubs won't want to leave PS4/XB1S owners behind.

Games cost more than ever to make. I'm not seeing any reasonable games company betting their $100m of games development plus $X00m marketing investment on an assumption that new-gen console sales growth will be faster than previous and thus better able to provide a reasonable ROI in good time.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah pretty much. The myth that cross gen games will make a lot of money on older consoles has been debunked over and over at the start of this gen.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder... when Cerny did his rounds with the various dev studios to get their wish lists, I wonder what was at the top of Kojima's list.

I suppose another way of trying to analyze all this is, what would devs have wished for the most? We already know about the SSD, but anything else? I have to imagine whatever they wished for has a decent chance of appearing on the PS5.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

To be fair I doubt they'll ever be confirmation of these code names. A degree of inference will always be required.

To give another example:

If you look at APISAK's picture he tweeted of the 3D Mark score of the PS4 SKUs he showed to DF you can see in the PS4 column it says under driver THEBE (9920)

On PCI-ID we have: 9920 Liverpool [Playstation 4 APU]

AMD internal code name for PS4 SoC is Thebe/Thebe-J and Sony's code name for the PS4 APU is Liverpool. Both list '9920'.

Inference is required but I don't think it too much of a stretch to link them? Similar is being done with Ariel/Gonzalo 13E9 etc.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
So your argument is next gen won't look any better?

here's another way to look at it:
X1S: medium settings at 1080p
Lockheart: High settings at 1080p
X1X: medium settings at 4k
Anaconda: High settings at 4k

My argument is that the vast majority of mainstream console gamers won't even care to see what the graphics settings are in your above example. Once they see MS's supposed "next-gen" Lockheart rendering the same cross-gen game at the same resolution as XB1S, they struggle to see the value of the upgrade.

This is the link stating Ariel = Navi 10 LITE = PS5.

Am I being dense? I don't see any reference to PS5?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
To be fair I doubt they'll ever be confirmation of these code names. A degree of inference will always be required.

To give another example:

If you look at APISAK's picture he tweeted of the 3D Mark score of the PS4 SKUs he showed to DF you can see in the PS4 column it says under driver THEBE (9920)

On PCI-ID we have: 9920 Liverpool [Playstation 4 APU]

AMD internal code name for PS4 SoC is Thebe/Thebe-J and Sony's code name for the PS4 APU is Liverpool. Both list '9920'.

Inference is required but I don't think it too much of a stretch to link them? Similar is being done with Ariel/Gonzalo 13E9 etc.

My point is, at least with PS4 we "knew" the Liverpool codename for Sony's APU was associated with Sony and the PS4 because of the original Pastebin leak.

Where's the equivalent leak/source that links the Ariel codename to PS5?

There are a number of codenames in that PCI list. The PS5 could be "Pooky" for all we know.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
So from that Tweet:

boom the one on B3D confirming my birdie
... NTB is clear evidence X2 = chiplet
means it is mega monster = MS angry mode
will have dedicated RT block

slide3, Xbox Patent,change Logic die --> custom GPU
those block will become irregualar worrkload accelerator
->RT, Physic,AI

I really do want to see Microsoft in angry mode :D

So Scarlett consoles have CPU, GPU and accelerator for ray-tracing, physics, AI? Would this be single slice of silicon for each console, or all separate chiplets on packages, with Anaconda getting more of the same and large GPU die.

Hmm this all sounds much more interesting than the beginning of current-gen console leaks in 2012 with Orbis/PS4 and Durango/Xbox One.

I remember speculation (or hope) around early 2006 about PS3 possibly getting an AGEIA PhysX PPU (Physics Processing Unit). The PhysX accelerator boards were coming out on PC. That never panned out, with PS3 of course (besides, PS3 had CELL). So then in 2008 Nvidia bought AGEIA and PhysX code was ported to CUDA and used in middleware (IIRC), or something to that effect. PS3 (and Xbox 360) devs then use that in games.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My favorite part last gen in the news cycle was that MS employee who insulted consumers when rumors of Xbox blocking used games and having online check in fake out. I forgot his name but I'm pretty sure he was fired

Also best codename for me is still Katana which was for Dreamcast if I remember right. They should have just named the damn system that

Status
Not open for further replies.