• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2018
My Teraflops estimates for next gen Console GPU

XBOX Lockhart : Around 4-5 TF

XBOX Anaconda : Around 12-12.5 TF

PS5 : Around 10-11 TF

Do you expect Ana and PS5 to be priced the same?

Because if it is the same case as the pro + 1x and the Ana is 20watts higher, I would of expected higher then 20% more tflops.

If ps5 is 20watts less and uses a blower
fan with a standard heatsink, while the Ana uses a Vapour chamber I would expect 30-40% more tflops.

Then again I would expect a Vapour chamber in PS5, they are quite common in graphics cards and they don't look all that expensive, they are just a think copper vaccum.

Last edited:

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
36 compute units: 8.3TF
40 compute units: 9.2TF
44 compute units: 10.1TF
48 compute units: 11.1TF
52 compute units: 12.0TF
56 compute units: 12.9TF
60 compute units: 13.8TF
64 compute units: 14.7TF

If DF's speculation holds true, those are some pretty nice numbers.

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
Xbox e3 stage: Bill Spencer enters the room "Xbox is dead. Introducing your new god" The bottom right pieces of the X's in "Xbox" fall to reveal in mtn dew green: "YBOY" Crowd cheers until the debris of the fallen X starts a fire forcing every1 to run out of the YBOY presser
CcBZfkXVIAAhMc9.jpg

Beautiful. We truly made it. We're finally reaching this point.

C'mon Phoenix Splash! Where is the poll? A speculation thread is nothing without it!
Phoenix Splash

Poll options:
  • #team8TF
  • #team10TF
  • #team12TF
  • #team14TF
  • flatearthers

Haha! I was actually going to ask you about the poll and yes, teraflops seems like the way to go based on the amount of discussion during the previous thread. Because including options for each console seems a bit complicated, let's just go with the overall max.teraflops for next-gen launch consoles(PS5, Anaconda... Lockhart?) just like Colbert posted

The alternative could be memory amount but teraflops seems more fitting.

Yep! Everything seems to point out to this event being the nearest event we should be keeping our eyes on

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
If true the speculation holds up, those are some pretty nice numbers.

I wonder how likely it is they may go up from the 1.8 GHz that's used to calculate those numbers. I know that's already quite high, but I seem to recall some people speculating as high as 2GHz on the old thread.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/i3TnTKk
This is the full reddit leak from 3 months ago saying 4tf Lockhart. It could very well all be bullshit. But here are a few reason why it could be real.

- Klobrille who has leaked a lot of Xbox stuff teased a possible relic acquisition after this.

- ssd's Have been confirmed for all 3 consoles.
- bleeding edge has since been leaked to be coming. And it fits the late 2020 timeline.
-turn 10 recently said they where switching to full focus on next motorsports game and they confirmed no game in 2019 so that makes it a 2020 title.
- Richard with digital foundry seams to believe all 3 console are in that 4,8,12 tf range.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Just 2 more months for the Nextbox blowout and a few more weeks for hopefully more PS5 details.

Still going for a lock $399 in price for PS5.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Since were throwing out predictions I'll throw my two cents in.

PS5 - 12-13TF $499

Xbox Anaconda - ~15TF $499 (MS will probably take a hit on each system sold)

Both Fall 2020.

Xbox Lockhart (post launch) $199 - 4TF digital only box mainly intended to be used for streaming but can run games at 1080P.

I know the Xbox rumors but I do not believe MS will launch with 2 SKU's I believe Lockhart will come out maybe 6 months to a year later so Anaconda can be the focus and be viewed as the main console

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/i3TnTKk
This is the full reddit leak from 3 months ago saying 4tf Lockhart. It could very well all be bullshit. But here are a few reason why it could be real.

- Klobrille who has leaked a lot of Xbox stuff teased a possible relic acquisition after this.

- ssd's Have been confirmed for all 3 consoles.
- bleeding edge has since been leaked to be coming. And it fits the late 2020 timeline.
-turn 10 recently said they where switching to full focus on next motorsports game and they confirmed no game in 2019 so that makes it a 2020 title.
- Richard with digital foundry seams to believe all 3 console are in that 4,8,12 tf range.

Seems i missed this: Richard believes PS5 will be ~8TF?

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
The leak talked about how the power efficiency is used to further improve the GPU.

Is MS_InfO the best if, we conclude from DF's findings that the GPU is 1800 mhz?
as he points out in his video tdp comes in to play, and even the x with vaper chamber cooling uses 40cus. what do people think the cu count can be on a apu? maybe 40 to 45 cus on 7 nm?

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
anexanhume

If you tack on the DDR4 bandwidth to the total (yielding 537.6 total), doing the GB/s per TF calculation gets you a range of 10.75TF to 13.44TF.

I didn't notice before, but the reddit post indicates a quad-channel DDR4 interface @ 3200 MT/s. That's quite substantial, especially when you consider desktop Ryzen is paired with dual-channel DDR4. Maybe allotting extra bandwidth for overhead from moving data between the two pools and for the GPU to use directly when the GPU and CPU are working on the same data?

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
PS5 APU size likely 350mm2. Seems to be the ceiling for APUs in general.

8 core Zen 2: 70mm2

Various IO logic + sound chip + others: 50mm2

230mm2 for GPU will be enough space for around 45-50CUs.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think you'll be lucky to get something above 10TF.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
lol no.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-is-amd-gonzalo-the-ps5-processor-in-theory
Combine this with the leak that Microsoft is working on an entry-level four teraflop console alongside a 12TF monster (the figures may change but the strategy is accurate, according to our sources) and the impression is that for the Xbox team at least, the top-end in console GPU power is likely to be an Xbox One X-level premium price option. Where Sony sits in this new power ladder remains to be seen, but we already know that Google Stadia slots in at 9.7TF, with a GPU likely clocked at around 1495MHz.
Look at the bold, they simply don't know.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Xbox Lockhart (post launch) $199 - 4TF digital only box mainly intended to be used for streaming but can run games at 1080P.

I don't see why you'd have this sort of a device. For streaming you go with a cheap dongle-ish device. Your streaming box at this price would just kill the chances of success of your streaming business.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
anexanhume

If you tack on the DDR4 bandwidth to the total (yielding 537.6 total), doing the GB/s per TF calculation gets you a range of 10.75TF to 13.44TF.

I didn't notice before, but the reddit post indicates a quad-channel DDR4 interface @ 3200 MT/s. That's quite substantial, especially when you consider desktop Ryzen is paired with dual-channel DDR4. Maybe allotting extra bandwidth for overhead from moving data between the two pools and for the GPU to use directly when the GPU and CPU are working on the same data?
I honestly hadn't considered adding them. I was treating the HBM like a cache, but that's not appropriate in this case given how HBCC is essentially managing the entire memory space. Hmmm. That's a giant TF window. I'll edit this into my post.

Do you add the 3GB/s from the SSD too? I assume that's a direct PCIe link right into the SoC. If that were all true, it would be some type of new Christmas.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the love for Team Summer 2020???
Hey, rep your team!

But you really think that is possible? Or you just messing around?

I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a Spring 2020 ticket and I don't like it!
Do it!

If DF's speculation holds true, those are some pretty nice numbers.
Yep, looking pretty good no matter where it ends up. Even the lowest predictions (8tf) would yield great stuff.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Oh a new thread. welcome back everyone.

I guess I picked 12 TFLOPs. Seems reasonable even though I guess my personal estimate is closer to 11TFLops

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
while everyone talks about tfps number, the fact that both sony and ms seem to be using ssds, nvme drives, as baseline is the bigger deal from what kind of games can be made pov.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Why not?

Count me in team 20 TF in 2020

Call us 202020

lol, welcome :)

I know there's no direct evidence for a dual chiplet GPU, but the possibility seems to be there. Of course the beginning of AdoredTV's latest video might indicate the dream of multi-GPU could be dead :(

I was really hoping that whatever technique Stadia is using to stack instances for better performance could be used on the chiplet to chiplet level to stack better performance

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly hadn't considered adding them. I was treating the HBM like a cache, but that's not appropriate in this case given how HBCC is essentially managing the entire memory space. Hmmm. That's a giant TF window. I'll edit this into my post.

Do you add the 3GB/s from the SSD too? I assume that's a direct PCIe link right into the SoC.

I wouldn't since it's not "working " memory, it's swap. If anything, it lowers the available bandwidth when utilized.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
I think you'll be lucky to get something above 10TF.

2 things

- Parts will have gone down in price by fall 2020 which is the rumored release date, 10TF by then, will be considered pretty much below the threshold of the expected hardware level for next gen.

- The rumored 2 skus for next-gen could alterate and change everything. We'd be looking at a new console strategy that could give breathing room for the console manufacturers and introduce a very powerful high-end experience for consoles especially for 2020. Somewhat on the ballpark of 14TF.

Oct 25, 2017
Lockhart $299:

CPU Zen 2 @ 3.2GHz
GPU Navi 6 Teraflops
RAM 12GB GDDR6
ROM 1TB SSD

PS5 $499:

CPU Zen 2 @ 3.2GHz
GPU Navi 10 Teraflops
RAM 16GB GDDR6
ROM 1TB NVMe SSD

Anaconda $499:

CPU Zen 2 @ 3.2GHz
GPU Navi 12 Teraflops
RAM 16GB GDDR6
ROM 1TB NVMe SSD

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018

He thinks its quite a reasonable number for PS5 which it kinda is, especially at $399.

Rich does have this sort of sixth sense or gut feeling based on experience not to be ambitious with new console specs.
While I do think this is true in some cases, I don't think its a certainty.
the X1X was quite the SURPRISE, this gens tflop figures were pretty disappointing, but I wouldn't use this gen as an indicator, I feel more optimism this gen with Sony making record profits and MS's rejuvenated focus on gaming, I have a feeling they won't be as Conservative this time.

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I wouldn't since it's not "working " memory, it's swap. If anything, it lowers the available bandwidth when utilized.
That's a good point, it's bandwidth going the other way. Still, 3GB/s or so is negligible.

It will be interesting to see how HBCC handles it all, and if firmware updates are pushed to devs to improve it over time. We don't want ESRAM all over again.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Team 'I don't give a fuck how many TFs, just give it to me spring 2020'

That Cerny interview was light on info but just too specific to wait another 18 months

Status
Not open for further replies.