• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
And then that gap will likely get even smaller over the generation, correct?
yes, and as anexanhume points out the limitation for SSDs pricing comes down to node shrinks.

But technically I tink SSDs are not yet on a 7nm node, with samsung being the only ones about to start 7nm fabrication or SSDs. I could be mistaken but i thi most SSD vendors are on a 10nm process now.
Are they also likely to become less prone to failure? Due to the whole moving parts vs no moving parts thing?
Generally SSDs are supposed to be far more reliable than HDDs. By The very nature of their technology. Tke for instance ach SSD is made up of thousands of "memory blocks" and points of failure would usually be isolated to those blocks as opposed to the entire drive......well unless its something like a controller going bad or something though.

Jdogg4089

Jan 28, 2019
Honestly, I am not that concerned for the GPU/Tflops - I mean the higher the tflops the nicer it is sure, but CPU is my real concern because the CPUs this gen were holding both of the consoles pretty badly.
.i
Why I want gta next gen only. If it on current gen, they won't be able to go crazy. If it is on current gen, it better be built on next gen and cut in a million pieces to run on current gen so it doesn't hold the cpu physics in the game back so we see something not possible on current gen. It's the only way we will get GTA SA 2.0

Feb 10, 2018
This is total conjecture on my part but I've given it some thought and I believe both MS and Sony will offer consoles at $399. With that said, I do believe both consoles will be similar and would easily still be sold at a loss if they were priced at $499.

My line of thought is that it's imperative for both Sony and MS to quickly gain a user base but momentum is more important and a price of $499 won't do that. I don't doubt that Microsoft and Sony are reasonably pleased with the sales from the One X and PS4 Pro, but I'm confident that they have seen their internal numbers and know that $499 is not viable in establishing a userbase that will buy enough nextgen software (digital or otherwise). I don't doubt we'll see 3rd parties hedging themselves with cross generation software, but at some point they will need to have a next gen platform that will have a large enough base to leave behind the previous generation.

In addition to establishing a userbase, Microsoft will be focused on MAU/Xcloud and Sony and their revenue generated from PSN/PSnow. They will want to price and position their consoles to gain and maintain the most users they can. In light of Google's foray into gaming and other emerging competitors, the market will become similar to what we are seeing with the Movie and TV space where Netflix has more more competition these days from CBS, Hulu, Disney, DC/WarnerBrother, etc. Because each platform needs to distinguish itself, I feel this is the top reason MS has bought so many developers recently. Whether it's PC or Console, Microsoft is pursuing original content for itself to keep its game catalog fresh and appealing.

We've also seen that during this current generation, Sony and Microsoft have not matched the depth of price cuts from previous generations. I think this will also help in justifying a lower $399 price point as the BOM drops.

Just my 0.02 cents.

There internal figures don't have the same data for a $499 launch.
The only data they have is for the 20gb ps3 and Xbox one with kinect, both plagued with there own problems.

A more comparative peace of data would be if the PS4 was 2.5tflops + 10gb ram,(7gb for games) but was $499 I think it still would have done as well.

Xostas

Oct 25, 2017
There internal figures don't have the same data for a $499 launch.
The only data they have is for the 20gb ps3 and Xbox one with kinect, both plagued with there own problems.

A more comparative peace of data would be if the PS4 was 2.5tflops + 10gb ram,(7gb for games) but was $499 I think it still would have done as well.

I'm not saying they have data of a $499 launch to go by, but that they could draw some assumptions on how accepting of a $499 console purchase would be given they know the ratio of new user vs existing users signing into their new purchased PRO/One X.

I don't believe a $499 PS4 would have done as well.

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
.i
Why I want gta next gen only. If it on current gen, they won't be able to go crazy. If it is on current gen, it better be built on next gen and cut in a million pieces to run on current gen so it doesn't hold the cpu physics in the game back so we see something not possible on current gen. It's the only way we will get GTA SA 2.0

Why do you think GTA VI will be on current gen as well? That's not happening at all.

Feb 10, 2018
I'm not saying they have data of a $499 launch to go by, but that they could draw some assumptions on how accepting of a $499 console purchase would be given they know the ratio of new user vs existing users signing into their new purchased PRO/One X.

I don't believe a $499 PS4 would have done as well.

What the hardware split would be won't matter, what matters is getting as many users as possible.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Beyond the Ryzen CPU, the switch of Next-generation console hardware baselines to include an SSD would offer arguably the biggest improvements to Next-gen games.

Shorter load times are just a minor side benefit. If the (comparatively) slow data transfer rate of a standard HDD is mitigated, then future games can designed around this new SSD baseline.

This is not simply shorter load times- you will be able to GREATLY increase open world games scene complexity, texture and animation variety and tons more in ways that wouldn't be possible with a standard HDD.

The ability to no longer have such a compromised data bottleneck for streaming in game assets will change the way games are designed *IF* (big if) it is standard on all Next-gen consoles.

We already know Google Stadia will use an SSD for it's baseline hardware instance so the gauntlet has already been thrown down.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Beyond the Ryzen CPU, the switch of Next-generation console hardware baselines to include an SSD would offer arguably the biggest improvements to Next-gen games.

Shorter load times are just a minor side benefit. If the (comparatively) slow data transfer rate of a standard HDD is mitigated, then future games can designed around this new SSD baseline.

This is not simply shorter load times- you will be able to GREATLY increase open world games scene complexity, texture and animation variety. The ability to no longer have such a compromised data bottleneck for streaming in game assetswill change the way games are designed *IF* (big if) it is standard on all Next-gen consoles.

We already know Google Stadia will use an SSD for it's baseline hardware instance so the gauntlet has already been thrown down.
Assuming all this is accurate, I'm on team SSD!

Feb 10, 2018
Why do you think GTA VI will be on current gen as well? That's not happening at all.

Rockstar have most likely been working on GTA6 in some form for a while now. No way they want to miss the 150million installbase of current gen. Makes no sense. They should launch GTA6 in 2020/21 and make a next gen version too, so they have like a 180million installbase.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

This is not simply shorter load times- you will be able to GREATLY increase open world games scene complexity, texture and animation variety and tons more in ways that wouldn't be possible with a standard HDD.

The ability to no longer have such a compromised data bottleneck for streaming in game assets will change the way games are designed *IF* (big if) it is standard on all Next-gen consoles.

Question on this topic of streaming textures directly from the SSD, so even 4K textures could be streamed? Like absolutely everything, or only certain things so they wouldn't have to be loaded into the RAM?

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Question on this topic of streaming textures directly from the SSD, so even 4K textures could be streamed? Like absolutely everything, or only certain things so they wouldn't have to be loaded into the RAM?
It would depend on the game and the engine it was built on but sure, super high quality textures would be an obvious use case for faster asset streaming via the SSD.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
This is total conjecture on my part but I've given it some thought and I believe both MS and Sony will offer consoles at $399. With that said, I do believe both consoles will be similar and would easily still be sold at a loss if they were priced at $499.

My line of thought is that it's imperative for both Sony and MS to quickly gain a user base but momentum is more important and a price of $499 won't do that. I don't doubt that Microsoft and Sony are reasonably pleased with the sales from the One X and PS4 Pro, but I'm confident that they have seen their internal numbers and know that $499 is not viable in establishing a userbase that will buy enough nextgen software (digital or otherwise). I don't doubt we'll see 3rd parties hedging themselves with cross generation software, but at some point they will need to have a next gen platform that will have a large enough base to leave behind the previous generation.

In addition to establishing a userbase, Microsoft will be focused on MAU/Xcloud and Sony and their revenue generated from PSN/PSnow. They will want to price and position their consoles to gain and maintain the most users they can. In light of Google's foray into gaming and other emerging competitors, the market will become similar to what we are seeing with the Movie and TV space where Netflix has more more competition these days from CBS, Hulu, Disney, DC/WarnerBrother, etc. Because each platform needs to distinguish itself, I feel this is the top reason MS has bought so many developers recently. Whether it's PC or Console, Microsoft is pursuing original content for itself to keep its game catalog fresh and appealing.

We've also seen that during this current generation, Sony and Microsoft have not matched the depth of price cuts from previous generations. I think this will also help in justifying a lower $399 price point as the BOM drops.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Or they can just offer streaming next-gen games with forward compatibility for current gen consoles. This would keep those consoles up to date on the latest titles.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
There's nothing nebulous about what I described. This process has resulted in a real console that exists today - the Xbox One X. Console hardware will remain fixed, I'm not saying otherwise. Both Sony and Microsoft currently have two (fixed) hardware specs, and it seems to make sense just fine for them, and recent rumors suggest Nintendo may join them.

The process you describe is entirely incompatible with the process to develop a next-gen games console and I'm baffled you're suggesting this. It just points to a lack of understanding of MS's XB1X development process on your part, I'm afraid.

Their entire process is predicated on the fact that XB1X is a mid-gen refresh of the XB1, with a plethora of games released to be able to profile against their hardware simulations.

You can't run next-gen game code on a simulation of next-gen hardware when there are no next-gen games available to run.

What you're suggesting is absurd.

I'm not going to argue that a lower spec'd machine will have lower capability, that's obvious. And I don't really know if launching with two SKUs right off the bat is better or worse than just one - I do think it's the necessary move for MS. My argument is that if both skus are designed in tandem with specific goals in mind for capability with the one variable being their target being resolution, it's possible for them to spec the machines to have a high probability of hitting those targets.

This statement means nothing. You're saying if MS designs a console against a target spec. they will hit that target?... You're not saying anything, and it doesn't have anything to do with the argument about a lower spec. console holding back next-gen games, which it will, and I've demonstrated this in my previous posts.

I'm arguing that MS will use data generated from game profiling to simulate next gen games and next gen hardware. Then they'll build their Scarlett platforms based on that data. They've already done this, I fully expect them to do it again.

What next-gen games is MS going to profile when there are no next-gen games 2-3 yrs prior to launch during their next-gen hardware development?

You don't seem to grasp the basics of what MS did with XB1X and why. They simulated XB1X hardware and profiled games to understand how XB1X would run XB1 games before any silicon tapes out. It's something AMD/NVidia/Intel will do routinely when designing new hardware. It's not unique nor revolutionary.

Next-gen consoles are different because until developers get devkits and the console is close to launch, there isn't any next-gen software to profile.

You're putting the cart before the horse, through a distinct lack of understanding.

No, it's nothing like the PC Platform. I am talking about the process Xbox engineers will use to select and customize the hardware for their next generation consoles. The console hardware is only constant once a spec is locked down, during the design phase all aspects of components are likely to be adjusted to create the optimum machine.

If your suggested solution to the low spec console holding back development isn't a PC like model of software that dictates hardware requirements (rather than the converse) then whatever you're trying to suggest makes even less sense and I don't understand what you're trying to argue.

From Digital Foundry:

I'm saying is this same approach can and will be used for their next gen platforms. The target is more nebulous, but they can still get meaningful data and insight from developers to create that target. Games are different as you said, and each one may have unique bottlenecks in hardware, this approach actually looks at the bottlenecks then hardware can be optimized to mitigate them. It's a more efficient way to design because it's based on data gathered and analyzed before hardware is fabricated. The final spec would be determined by the configuration most capable of meeting the design targets for a given BOM. There's always going to be compromise, that's an inherent part of consoles in general, the goal would be to minimize their impact. I suggest looking up how engineers in various disciplines utilize DOEs (design of experiments) in their design process.

I suggest you exercise even a little bit of critical thinking on what you're trying to argue. What data can MS use to design a next-gen console? They can't time-travel and profile released next-gen games on their simulated hardware years into the gen.

I don't understand how you can't see what you're suggesting doesn't make any sense.

Again, this process works. The Xbox One X exists. I'd be interested to hear you explain what you think is the best process for a console maker in choosing the specs and customizations they want for their new console.

The Xbox 1 X isn't a next-gen console. It's a fundamental difference that's baffling to me how you cannot seem to see it.

The XB1X is a hardware platform built to play EXISTING software for an EXISTING hardware platform. Their next-gen console will be a NEW hardware platform built to play games that at the time of hardware development DON'T EVEN EXIST YET.

In the past Sony and Microsoft have sought feedback from devs on future console hardware, and they will continue to do so. Nothing is different in this regard. During the development of the PS4, Mark Cerny flew to devs around the world to get feedback on next gen before the hardware was finalized.

Seeking feedback on new console development isn't the same as profiling commercial game code on a simulation of a new hardware platform. You're making a weird false equivalency and conflating things that aren't even remotely the same thing.

I think posts like this are VASTLY overstating the benefits, TBH.

RAM capacity and bandwidth will have a MUCH bigger impact on those factors than the transfer speed of the mass storage device will. Functionally, there's little a full SSD can provide that a fast flash cache + HDD can't (provided your cache is large enough to overcome the HDD to flash streaming bottleneck).

The CPU and GPU can only process a given amount of data in unit time and this is influenced far far more greatly by the main memory bandwidth. The RAM capacity if large enough overcomes any streaming bottleneck of the mass storage device and the introduction of a HBCC-managed flash cache makes the problem go away entirely.

Lower transfer speed lower down the memory hierarchy can always be offset by having a bigger data buffer.

So a 128/256GB flash cache plus 24GB RAM pool with high enough main memory bandwidth will provide all the benefits of an SSD at a cheaper price-point and with the benefit of being able to use a HDD or SSD for the user-replaceable mass storage device.

If you mandate a full SSD across all next-gen consoles, any allowance for user-added external drive would undermine the point of going full SSD and mean there would be no difference between that and a flash cache setup, as the game installed on the external drive would still be limited by the slow external (possibly HDD) drive transfer speeds.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Rockstar have most likely been working on GTA6 in some form for a while now. No way they want to miss the 150million installbase of current gen. Makes no sense. They should launch GTA6 in 2020/21 and make a next gen version too, so they have like a 180million installbase.

From what I understand it was all hands on deck for RDR2. Where did they find the manpower to work on GTA6? I don't think we see that game until 2021, at the earliest, and if I had to put money down I'd probably say 2023. Install base will be plenty fine by then, and there's no reason to think GTA6 won't have long legs.

Jan 21, 2019
I think posts like this are VASTLY overstating the benefits, TBH.

RAM capacity and bandwidth will have a MUCH bigger impact on those factors than the transfer speed of the mass storage device will. Functionally, there's little a full SSD can provide that a fast flash cache + HDD can't (provided your cache is large enough to overcome the HDD to flash streaming bottleneck).

The CPU and GPU can only process a given amount of data in unit time and this is influenced far far more greatly by the main memory bandwidth. The RAM capacity if large enough overcomes any streaming bottleneck of the mass storage device and the introduction of a HBCC-managed flash cache makes the problem go away entirely.

Lower transfer speed lower down the memory hierarchy can always be offset by having a bigger data buffer.

So a 128/256GB flash cache plus 24GB RAM pool with high enough main memory bandwidth will provide all the benefits of an SSD at a cheaper price-point and with the benefit of being able to use a HDD or SSD for the user-replaceable mass storage device.

If you mandate a full SSD across all next-gen consoles, any allowance for user-added external drive would undermine the point of going full SSD and mean there would be no difference between that and a flash cache setup, as the game installed on the external drive would still be limited by the slow external (possibly HDD) drive transfer speeds.

I don't think it is overstated. Your solution also proposes an SSD albeit being a large enough cache system to offset the slow HDD.

I don't care what form it takes, I just want the main memory from which games are accessed, when I am playing them, to be of the SSD kind. I don't care if it is 256GB of embedded cache or a full m.2 drive. The question is, is a divided solution with cache and HDD really cheaper than an SSD on the PCB? That is for Sony and Microsoft to decide but I really really hope that games will be run from an SSD, the same way we went from Blu-Ray to HDD during this generation, even though it means installing every single game.

Remember when GTA5 came out on last gen systems and had to have an install, even though many Xbox SKUS didn't have an HDD or an HDD that was too small. It was because the game couldn't have been that ambitious with DVD transfer speeds.

EDIT: I'm glad people are finally joining Team SSD.

Feb 10, 2018
From what I understand it was all hands on deck for RDR2. Where did they find the manpower to work on GTA6? I don't think we see that game until 2021, at the earliest, and if I had to put money down I'd probably say 2023. Install base will be plenty fine by then, and there's no reason to think GTA6 won't have long legs.

It probably was all hands on deck for the last couple of years of production for RDR2, but production goes through stages, historicaly R* have always started the next GTA a month after the last one. So I think they would of got pre production nearly done.

Also not doing the next GTA on current gen makes no sense, from a business point of view, there's no way R* and take 2 are going to be the option which makes less money, there as much chance in R* making a meal delivery service.

Oct 25, 2017
It probably was all hands on deck for the last couple of years of production for RDR2, but production goes through stages, historicaly R* have always started the next GTA a month after the last one. So I think they would of got pre production nearly done.

Also not doing the next GTA on current gen makes no sense, from a business point of view, there's no way R* and take 2 are going to be the option which makes less money, there as much chance in R* making a meal delivery service.

The game is likely going to be a bestseller for years on end, no matter which platform it launches on. I'll buy a hat just to eat it if GTA6 launches on PS4/XB1

Feb 10, 2018
I don't think lockhart will hold games back if they balance is right.

For example if anaconda is 12tflops and lockhart is 6tflops it should have no issue doing a min of 1080p even if the anaconda version is 1440p.

I think people tend to forget just how scalable modern game engines are.

Feb 10, 2018
The game is likely going to be a bestseller for years on end, no matter which platform it launches on. I'll buy a hat just to eat it if GTA6 launches on PS4/XB1

If it launches only on next gen it will make substantially less money then launching on both.
Businesses primary goal is to make money so to think one would take the route of less money is absurd.

Last edited:

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018

For example if anaconda is 12tflops and lockhart is 6tflops it should have no issue doing a min of 1080p even if the anaconda version is 1440p.

Yup, it just needs to have the same CPU (and probably a RAM reduction to match the reduced target)

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

thats my understanding as well. and unlike the xbox one / x situation, where the game is built to run on the base one then "upscaled" to run at or near 4k on x, this would be the reverse - taking a game built for anaconda then "downscaling" resolution to lockheart. and people thinking they'd never build lockheart to have less than or equal to TF to x are missing the point - lockheart will drop jaws and absolutely be next gen (just at 1080p).

i think a far more realistic base console holding back next gen argument is if ps5 is indeed 399 vs anaconda at 499, and shows a bit of a power disadvantage reflecting the price difference. in this scenario, i could see many 3rd party devs targeting ps5 as lead console then worrying about upscaling (which may result in VERY minimal gains)/downscaling to the xbox family.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
TheThreadsThatBindUs

a) SSDs:

One major difference between PC and Console are loading times and streaming performance. SSD can drastically increase loading and streaming performance. For instance Division 2: Jumping between locations is 5 to 7 times faster on my PC than on my console (One X) with the same game. Games with loading screens or death screens would heaviliy benefit from it just as open world games would as streaming would produce less popups.

-----------------------------

b) Profiling game engine data for next gen on this gen software:

Even the data is extraced from this generation games it gives you quite a bit insight how engines work with different workloads internally. The engine doesn't change its inner workings just because it runs on better hardware, but you can see changing behavior if you execute it on better hardware.

For example headroom increase by altered peak performance, other clock speeds, more available threads, different IPC and so on. Though of course engine code evolves too like with the introduction of raytracing but that doesn't mean the findings you gathered are useless. From such data you can easiliy derive major design decisions on your hardware to improve in areas this gen had its issues.

We also know that studios and that includes internal studios are building prototypes all year to test new methods and features to gain more information how they impact performance on existing code bases. This is part of what they do in their research department.

So in my opinion the point the other member (SeanMN ) was making was absolutely valid in that department.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
If the PlayStation 5 is the only console from Sony that's competing for Lockhart and Anaconda is being sold at $499 then that would imply that Sony is confident enough in their exclusives and the hardware power of PlayStation 5 that it is providing at that specific price (despite it being weaker than Anaconda).

This is if assuming the Anaconda is selling at $499 which is what most people has been kind of throwing around.

Honestly, though, I am not sure if 1 SKU is a good idea for Sony, but I have a weird feeling that Sony is becoming arrogant again and we all know what arrogant Sony likes to do so. I would not be too surprised I guess if that turns out to be the case.

Having two gimped $200 consoles would ruin the generational leap, although maybe Microsoft's forced xcloud for all games on the platform is enough to do that regardless of what Sony does.

Next gen is going to be disappointing as far as third party games go; they will have to target 4TF and build in crazy high lag tolerances for xcloud and possibly stadia. Blarg.

Oct 25, 2017
thats my understanding as well. and unlike the xbox one / x situation, where the game is built to run on the base one then "upscaled" to run at or near 4k on x, this would be the reverse - taking a game built for anaconda then "downscaling" resolution to lockheart. and people thinking they'd never build lockheart to have less than or equal to TF to x are missing the point - lockheart will drop jaws and absolutely be next gen (just at 1080p).

i think a far more realistic base console holding back next gen argument is if ps5 is indeed 399 vs anaconda at 499, and shows a bit of a power disadvantage reflecting the price difference. in this scenario, i could see many 3rd party devs targeting ps5 as lead console then worrying about upscaling (which may result in VERY minimal gains)/downscaling to the xbox family.
The difference between PS5 and Snek seems like it will be minimal actually. Both are targeting above 10.7tfs. If the PS5 is, say, 12tf, I don't see the Snek being much higher than that.

Feb 10, 2018

Also if its 6tflop and anaconda is 12tflops, lockhart will get even higher resolutions E. G if an anaconda version is 4k

It will be like
A = 4k L = 1440p
A = 4kcb L = 1080p

I Don see it any other way unless MS are dumb and lockhart ends up with 4 tflops and settings are reduced and we may see a 900p.

Oct 25, 2017
If it launches only on next gen it will make substantially less money then launching on both.
Businesses primary goal is to make money so to think one would take the route of less money is absurd.

It'll also be more of the same, most likely. There's a good case for not neutering the game's potential by launching on old hardware, and you assume R* would even have a game ready by 2020 or 2021.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
The difference between PS5 and Snek seems like it will be minimal actually. Both are targeting above 10.7tfs. If the PS5 is, say, 12tf, I don't see the Snek being much higher than that.

while i think you are likely right...

1) i'm not sure how much of the "ms and sony are targeting above stadia" is fact vs expectations from our insider

2) depends largely on launch prices. it is indeed possible (many would say likely) ps5 and anaconda will be 499 which means their power levels will be virtually indistinguishable. but a $100 price difference should manifest itself a bit more significantly (though still likely to be minor in the grand scheme of things).

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Also if its 6tflop and anaconda is 12tflops, lockhart will get even higher resolutions E. G if an anaconda version is 4k

It will be like
A = 4k L = 1440p
A = 4kcb L = 1080p

I Don see it any other way unless MS are dumb and lockhart ends up with 4 tflops and settings are reduced and we may see a 900p.
I used to think 4-5 flops would work but i agree now that it should have a 6tf gpu assuming andaconda is 12 or more. This will also avoid the whole 'Lockhart is weaker than the X' backlash that could happen if it's lower than 6tf.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
As I don't see we get any new info until E3 unless we experience a miracle I want to shift to my personal priorities and wishes for next gen:
  • I want a silent system. I just can't stand the noise levels of a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X at full load.
  • I want better loading times so I favor SSD support in any shape or form.
  • I wish for a ecosystem that allows for trading (in) digital games. Why not also have the positive sides of DRM?
  • I want cross play and cross progression above all devices and consoles for the games that want to implement it.
  • I don't care if the new consoles have a BluRay drives or not.
  • BC is a given but it shouldn't be absent from this wish list.

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
Having two gimped $200 consoles would ruin the generational leap, although maybe Microsoft's forced xcloud for all games on the platform is enough to do that regardless of what Sony does.

Next gen is going to be disappointing as far as third party games go; they will have to target 4TF and build in crazy high lag tolerances for xcloud and possibly stadia. Blarg.

Why 4 TF? Where is this whole 4 teraflop crap coming from? lol

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
As I don't see we get any new info until E3 unless we experience a miracle I want to shift to my personal priorities and wishes for next gen:
  • I want a silent system. I just can't stand the noise levels of a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X at full load.
  • I want better loading times so I favor SSD support in any shape or form.
  • I wish for a ecosystem that allows for trading (in) digital games. Why not also have the positive sides of DRM?
  • I want cross play and cross progression above all devices and consoles for the games that want to implement it.
  • I don't care if the new consoles have a BluRay drives or not.
  • BC is a given but it shouldn't be absent from this wish list.

With due respect that reads like "fuck you got mine" with regards to high speed internet and unlimited data cap. Yea, I know it's your wish list, but given your history of very level headed posts and insights, this really stuck out.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I seriously doubt either Sony or MS will fuck it up this time, at least not nearly as badly as they did previously.

PS3 came 1 year later (+4 months on EU), 100-200$/€ more expensive and most multiplats performed worse compared to X360.
XB1 was 100$/€ more expensive, less powerful than PS4 and launched considerably later in plenty of countries (that tier bullshit).

I'm curious about the multiple sku thing approach from MS, waiting to see what Sony is going to do. I definitely prefer to keep things simple so I'm hoping for a single sku at 400-500.

Sony has been pricing everything at 399 in the last years (PS4, PS4P and PSVR), so I bet they are going to try to hit that price point.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i think its important to step back and realize that we (era as a whole) seem to be taking certain quotes out of context, or rumors as fact. i think its still pure speculation that

• anaconda will be most powerful. this is based on phil's comments that they want to lead in power but completely ignores that if sony is attempting the same thing the two would likely end up basically in the same ball park.
  • anaconda is aiming to match sony. this was taken from a MS insider that likely has no idea what sony is doing AND in the same video made the absolutely comically wrong assumption that lockheart would target 4k and 60 fps.
  • both ms and sony are targeting above stadia's 10.7 TF. this actually may be true, but my interpretation of Jason Schreier's post was his speculation they are treating as fact - not at all that they have inside information stating that. he followed up this post saying "Anyway, I don't know for sure what next-gen specs will look like. I have no idea how many teraflops there'll be" which is always left out of the discussion.

i'm probably missing others, feel free to add to. i suppose the entire lockheart/anaconda dual sku launch, and what that likely entails, is also rumors but think that seems to be reported from many sources and feel its pretty much a sure thing.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Why 4 TF? Where is this whole 4 teraflop crap coming from? lol

I know many gamers think these companies are going to gift them powerful hardware, but a cheap box around $200 is going to be 4tf max, especially given the nvme leak and the need for streaming hardware. Idk where this idea that 8 tf machine can be sold on the cheap comes from.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
With due respect that reads like "fuck you got mine" with regards to high speed internet and unlimited data cap. Yea, I know it's your wish list, but given your history of very level headed posts and insights, this really stuck out.
it IS his personal wishlist, of course its all about his own priorities, needs, and wants

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I only looked into my own situation here. Of course the point you highlighted is not suited to everyone's needs and circumstances. I understand that. This is the reason I said I don't care instead of I don't want a drive.

End of this year I will get a 250mbps internet connection with no data caps at the same price I currently use my 100mbps connection. In addition I can opt for 500mbps or even 1gbps for more money, also without any data cap. So for me downloads doesn't matter that much as for people with low speeds and data caps.

Sorry for that :-p

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
  • both ms and sony are targeting above stadia's 10.7 TF. this actually may be true, but my interpretation of our insiders post (sorry, forget the author) was their speculation they are treating as fact - not at all that they have inside information stating that.
It was Jason Schreier AKA Press Sneak Fuck. I'd say he was very much so speaking with certainty.

In other words, don't expect much in the way of substantial leakage just yet. The only thing to know for sure is that both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that "10.7 teraflops" number that Google threw out last week. (And, as has been reported, Microsoft's got a few things in the works.)

Jason is by far the most reliable insider on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.