• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His 'verafied' tag means zilch in this regard, but people will still assume his words hold weight regardless. That's the annoying part.

That is, unless mods can vouch for the guy actually having insider knowledge.
We've seen this song and dance dozens of times here and on the old board and 9/10 times it's people out there regurgitating old rumors and fishing for attention. Not saying that's the case here but there's no need to be vague about it.

Kind of what I was thinking. It's not hard to specify if a statement is a guess/prediction or if the statement has some backing in terms of industry sources. Being vague helps no one and most likely isn't going to get a "omg he's totally insider" response here lol.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
What does this giant wall of text you keep typing have to do with what people are discussing? We are simply discussing Digital libraries and ecosystems on consoles.

You keep bringing random ass shit to your responses with a giant wall of text, instead of simply explaining your view on the points being discussed. You don't think digital libraries will keep people on a console.
Me and many others think that people will not want to throw away money, simple as that. Which is why I brought up Epic Game Store. People don't want to move over to Epic game store not because they don;t want to play the game they are excited about. But because as a launcher it lacks features and won't incorporate their library.

Origin among others allows Steam overlay/friends list now for some of their games primarily Apex Legends. Ubisoft allows steam friends as well.
People will go where their games are. Right now with digital being fairly big and continually to grow, people will be more locked into a ecosystem. if they have few purchases for Digital then you would be right that they will go where ever the game they want to play is on or where their friends are.
You are better off responding to that giant wall of text that debunks everything you are saying or not responding at all. It all ties in to your line of reasoning and shows just how wrong it is.

I am also not interested in what many others are saying, I was in a discussion with several people today, I have responded to them, some said we agree to disagree, and that is fine. I am now debating with you and you keep going back to 'me and others' without ever responding to:

1. Why would back compat be so important when it has never been?

2. We start over every time there is an iteration to a game, every freakin' time. So why would last game progression, let alone previous gen content be so important?

3. If majority of gamers have shown that they are willing to dump this fabled progression for a generation (Wii U, Xbox One), what makes it so important going forward?

4. What makes a digital library more important than a physical one? Why is it even more important going forward when it was not that important this generation?

5. Why are some features more important than others on a store? And why limit it to the store? Microsoft has the best online and services, they have the best optical drive on console, it has not led to more sales, has it?

These are questions you will skirt over and avoid. In my opinion it has more to do with a lack maybe of understanding as to how the business world works. That is the only thing I can think of.

A disastrous outing for a console is not only going to be tied to one thing, it will always be a multitude of things and it has never revolved around BC, progression or mode of game purchase. If that is what you are looking at, then you are looking at this game industry thing the wrong way or from a biased standpoint to try and back some non existent point.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Let's say for a moment that the segmentnext info is accurate, it states a 499 price and a 100 dollar loss per console. So at the price of a 600 console are the specs realistic? I know we'll have to wait for Navi to know, but what do y'all think? Also, I know it states a 2tb hdd, but I would still hope they could make it a 2tb SSD for launch if prices come down enough.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
Seeing that people prefer SSDs so far, would, let's say, 256 GB embedded flash + 2 TB HDD be a good compromise?

Also, would that cost more or less than a 1 TB SSD?

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
With all other specs being the same, would you guys prefer:

-14TF GPU + 2 TB HDD

Or

-12TF GPU + 1 TB SSD*

SSD all day. I'm going to keep beating this 🥁

Seeing that people prefer SSDs so far, would, let's say, 256 GB embedded flash + 2 TB HDD be a good compromise?

What device today uses this kind of setup successfully? I see it constantly suggested I just have no experience with an SSD scratchpad for games.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather they go as high with GPU as they can and go with HDD vs SSD if costs are an issue because you can always add faster storage later via USB or a hardware revision

But let's say they use 100GB UHD and a 1TB SSD, is it at all possible to get rid of installs like 360 gen? Or will we still need installs, just they would be much faster?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

It would probably be ok, thigh I'm not sure about the price. Based on projected price drops, they may well cost about the same. However, the HDD would take up more space, add more weight, make manufacturing more complex, and quite possibly not see as much of a cost reduction as an SSD over the life of the console. So who knows what they'll do.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Depends if I am able to swap out the drives like I could before on PS3/PS4. If I can do that, then 14TF GPU because why go for 12TF if I can swap out drives?

Problem with that is if developers can't count on an SSD being in the box as default they can't really utilize it to their fullest. They'd have to consider that most would have regular HDD.

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
Yup, I appreciate people giving inside information, but these posts are just getting silly. And honestly, I think this person is just repeating already established rumours and making the rest up.

It's only confusing because they refuse to say if it's a wishlist, inside info, educated guesses, or a mix.

All right. Since you guys are getting a bit upset at the whole vague thing. I will post something here in regards to this matter.

A lot of this stuff is sensitive information. I also enjoy conversations people and giving my thoughts on what I think, but the issue seems that everyone is impatient and they want the goods and they're either A) tired of waiting B) tired of fakes or C) overly hyped and eager for information

I was verified because I work in the industry, not neccesarily because I have access to super duper secrets.

Do I know people? Yes
Do those people tell me everything? Absolutely not.

Do I overhear things? Yes
Do some people foreshadow things to me ? Yes.
Do I make educated guess based of what I hear? Yes

And some educated guess are also based off recent industry trends as well. A combination of things.

Do I put things in a list because something or someone confirmed something to me? Yes as well.

To sum it up my E3 thread is compromised of facts and off very educated guesses. Basically some things on that list are confirmed to be 100% and some are possible and again these things can change last minute.

Was that a wishlist? Absolutely not.

Reason for vagueness is because I have to make sure I protect the people I talk to and vice versa. Otherwise we would lose access to some information and so on, this is a no brainer.

The reason why I said "No comment - patience is a virtue" is simply because were 2 months away from E3 and we need some more time before things get locked in for 100%.

I dont want to tell you "Yes this is E3" and then something switches a week or 2 before and then I look like a liar and so on.

Is this fair enough for you guys? I am trying to be as honest as possible. Thank you.

Osaragi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wouldn't it be possible that casual PC's might end up being the bottleneck in regards to SSD's being used in nex-gen consoles? I'm not sure devs can be sure that every consumer that plays on PC has an SSD build in.

Except for exlcusives couldn't this be a problem?

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
With all other specs being the same, would you guys prefer:

-14TF GPU + 2 TB HDD

Or

-12TF GPU + 1 TB SSD*

They should give us multiple SKU's with different sizes of SSD drives that can be easily swappable, just like the Xbox 360 had the arcade, premium, etlie etc, and focus the main BOM costs in internal hardware's such as the APU's TF count.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Problem with that is if developers can't count on an SSD being in the box as default they can't really utilize it to their fullest. They'd have to consider that most would have regular HDD.

Understandable. My next question would then be, do they also have to account for people who use external drives for game storage? Are these systems going to be utilizing USB 3.0 or 3.1 for external storage? I am just guessing that would be a factor as well.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
All right. Since you guys are getting a bit upset at the whole vague thing. I will post something here in regards to this matter.

A lot of this stuff is sensitive information. I also enjoy conversations people and giving my thoughts on what I think, but the issue seems that everyone is impatient and they want the goods and they're either A) tired of waiting B) tired of fakes or C) overly hyped and eager for information

I was verified because I work in the industry, not neccesarily because I have access to super duper secrets.

Do I know people? Yes

And some educated guess are also based off recent industry trends as well. A combination of things.

Do I put things in a list because something or someone confirmed something to me? Yes as well.

To sum it up my E3 thread is compromised of facts and off very educated guesses. Basically some things on that list are confirmed to be 100% and some are possible and again these things can change last minute.

Reason for vagueness is because I have to make sure I protect the people I talk to and vice versa. Otherwise we would lose access to some information and so on, this is a no brainer.

The reason why I said "No comment - patience is a virtue" is simply because were 2 months away from E3 and we need some more time before things get locked in for 100%.

I dont want to tell you "Yes this is E3" and then something switches a week or 2 before and then I look like a liar and so on.

Is this fair enough for you guys? I am trying to be as honest as possible. Thank you.
Yes, the explanation is appreciated. Saying something like "This is what I've heard will be at e3, obviously stuff is subject to change this far out." would have cleared up a lot of confusion.

Xostas

Oct 25, 2017
Understandable. My next question would then be, do they also have to account for people who use external drives for game storage? Are these systems going to be utilizing USB 3.0 or 3.1 for external storage? I am just guessing that would be a factor as well.

If I'm Sony or MS, I would have the system classify hard drives based on some metric to determine if the external drive meets a minimum SSD speed otherwise it would just consider the external drive as storage only.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Wouldn't it be possible that casual PC's might end up being the bottleneck in regards to SSD's being used in nex-gen consoles? I'm not sure devs can be sure that every consumer that plays on PC has an SSD build in.

PC ports get shit on quite often. It makes sense when you look at sales volume for various titles.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Do I know people? Yes

This works for me. Really appreciate your openness and contributions to the discussions!

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
SSD all day. I'm going to keep beating this 🥁

What device today uses this kind of setup successfully? I see it constantly suggested I just have no experience with an SSD scratchpad for games.

People bring it up because of AMD patents and HBCC.

If developers are asking for SSD speeds for storage, both console makers would surely try to work out a way to give this to them. Obviously just having a standard SSD drive in the system would be the 'easiest' way, but would it be the most cost effective in the long run?

Just trying to do some mental exercises with this, leaving console biases aside.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
I don't know why people are giving shit to Leocarian and him having come forth to explain stuff (and the validity of his tag) thoroughly was uncalled for.

Just Wait it out for E3 If you are impatient for next gen talk or leaks or stay out of the conversation. No need to disrupt the nice discussion flow we had here with hostility.

I feel for folks in this site that work in the gaming industry. Insiders receive so much hostility from Era.

Jan 21, 2019
14tf + 2tb hdd $429 (basic edition)
14tf + 1tb ssd $499 (premium edition)

The whole point of the SSD would be that devs can built their engines around SSD speeds, having an HDD version and an SSD version would kill all the benefits of an SSD except for faster loading. I don't care about the loading, it is fine right now, but I want them to fully unleash asset streaming.

I would give up 4tf for an SSD.

10tf with an SSD > 14 with HDD.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

Do I know people? Yes

Fair enough, sounds like right before E3 we'll hear some whispers basically.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I don't know why people are giving shit to Leocarian and him having come forth to explain stuff (and the validity of his tag) thoroughly was uncalled for.

Just Wait it out for E3 If you are impatient for next gen talk or leaks or stay out of the conversation. No need to disrupt the nice discussion flow we had here with hostility.
People were clearly confused by his posts, so an explanation was much appreciated.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

I think the consoles would be given priority. SSDs have been a part of so many gaming PCs - including most recent pre-built ones - that I think PC games with SSD installation on the 'minimum specs' list have, if anything, been a long time coming.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Do I know people? Yes

Looking forward to more predictions. Hope we get some info on Scarlet at E3.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
There was nothing confusing in his posts in my opinion. I mean to a big degree the E3 list/prediction is made out of stuff we already speculated for last year. The funny thing is that he talked about Fable. Oh well, ... surprise surprise ...
Well yea, a lot of it is captain obvious stuff, that's why people were wondering if his list was based on inside info he has or just educated guesses.

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
There was nothing confusing in his posts in my opinion. I mean, to a large degree the E3 list/prediction is made out of stuff we already speculated about last year. The funny thing is that he talked about Fable. Oh well, ... surprise surprise ...

What is so funny talking about Fable? =D Oh is it my avatar?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
You are better off responding to that giant wall of text that debunks everything you are saying or not responding at all. It all ties in to your line of reasoning and shows just how wrong it is.

I am also not interested in what many others are saying, I was in a discussion with several people today, I have responded to them, some said we agree to disagree, and that is fine. I am now debating with you and you keep going back to 'me and others' without ever responding to:

1. Why would back compat be so important when it has never been?

2. We start over every time there is an iteration to a game, every freakin' time. So why would last game progression, let alone previous gen content be so important?

3. If majority of gamers have shown that they are willing to dump this fabled progression for a generation (Wii U, Xbox One), what makes it so important going forward?

4. What makes a digital library more important than a physical one? Why is it even more important going forward when it was not that important this generation?

These are questions you will skirt over and avoid. In my opinion it has more to do with a lack maybe of understanding as to how the business world works. That is the only thing I can think of.

Here:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-03-uk-video-game-sales-now-80-percent-digital

In-depth of why a lot of people buy physical over digital and vice versa with 75% of their data suggestion.

Pushsquare on digital showing growth still

I'm not saying anything your saying isn't true, just that from what is out there evidence wise for digital platforms, people seem to go where their money investment is.

If it's in PC they will be using steam as their primary. The reason being features and prices for games that can be bought at third party sites like GreenMANGAMING.

Though Physical is still king when it comes to consoles, a lot of growth is showing for digital. ANd has that becomes bigger more people will start having digital libraries, and if those that do have those investments can continue playing those games then they will stick with that ecosystem. But it also can go your way as well, with people being indifferent and not returning to said games.
There's also the elephant in the room for those reluctant to buy into digital that their games might get shut off if they are primarily online, or require some sort of online connection for campaign play.

As digital grows so does the changes in the consumer in how they can consume their entertainment. And just like with any service, benefits to the user for being able to keep playing all their purchases is a huge benefit that will keep them with that ecosystem.
Not saying it's 100%, but saying that it is there, and it is growing. If it wasn't then XBOX would not have made such a giant effort this gen to capitalize on BC.

Player engagement is a big push for MS and BC helps with that.

Jan 21, 2019
Okay, I see. Maybe I would go SSD then

The reason the last of us 1 looked insane on the PS3 was because of asset streaming. At that point they were streaming from a slow Blu Ray disc. Now, naughty dog is streaming assets from a slow HDD. Imagine the jump if they know that every single ps5 has an SSD inside.

I really really hope that all next gen systems have ssds because the second one of them doesn't, all third party devs won't build their engine around SSD speeds.

Edit: one of the forum members here pointed out that the slow HDD was a bottleneck of the recent Spiderman game and I also read that Bluepoint solved a lot of problems in the development of Shadow of the Colossus, when they introduced asset streaming to their engine.

I repeat it over and over again. SSD are not just for loading times, they will allow for better games!

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well yea, a lot of it is captain obvious stuff, that's why people were wondering if his list was based on inside info he has or just educated guesses.
For me it was never out of question that it were educated guesses. Especially at the current state of the planning for the show.

Maybe Albert Penello could shed some light into the planning process for E3 he has experiences while he was with Microsoft. Would be appreciated.

It is a surprise! Be patient ... :-P

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
My predictions Anaconda will carry the torch of the Xbox one X as being the most powerful console. PS5 will come next. Then Lockhart will be powerful but most affordable. The One X will still be able to carry its weight come next gen. Resolution wise. The X will probably look very similar to even PS5 screenshots in early cross gen games. Only diff will be framerates.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This is 2021+ technology for the datacenter, but what do folks think of Intel's CXL technology when extending it to the GPU space? Will full coherency allow for the MCM future for GPUs? What separates CXL from AMD's Infinity Fabric (I'm not counting NVLINK as it's a non-PCI-E standard)?

https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/milestone-moving-data/

Next step is active interposers.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk...iplet-revolution-with-new-chip-network-scheme

Ugh, still pissed Lionhead got killed after being fed a shit concept to develop. They had ideas for Fable 4 they had pitched...

The whole point of the SSD would be that devs can built their engines around SSD speeds, having an HDD version and an SSD version would kill all the benefits of an SSD except for faster loading. I don't care about the loading, it is fine right now, but I want them to fully unleash asset streaming.

I would give up 4tf for an SSD.

10tf with an SSD > 14 with HDD.

I don't think people appreciate the QOL gains we all stand to make if SSDs become the lowest common denominator. We spend so much of our lives on loading screens. It actually increases my distraction because I'm more likely to pick up my phone.

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
Do you know if MS has some plans for VR on their nextgen consoles? Are you expecting anything VR from MS?

I personally have no knowledge of anything related to VR from my end of things.

If I had to make an educated guess I would assume that their next-console would consider something VR in mind if they're planning on competing with PSVR and PC VR. The only real thing they have that's related to something like that is obviously Hololens, but I have no clue if there are any plans to take that further down the road.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Do you know if MS has some plans for VR on their nextgen consoles? Are you expecting anything VR from MS?
Not knowing, but from what they do (at GDC and for //Build/ later this year), it doesn't seem so. As long VR is in the current market stage I don't think MS/Xbox sees it as a priority for Xbox consoles. Though all consoles will be powerful enough to add those things to a later date. I think MS as a company is aiming for a completely untethered experience. But regarding VR there are not there yet. They also want avoid a second "Kinect situation". While the accessory was successful, the adaption rate into games was mediocre at best.

At the moment they push their AR agenda much more in the professional sector where they are free to experiment with different paths they could go for the console. The program they launched for theiR AR efforts could be a good base of ideas and concepts how to tackle VR.

Last edited:

m23

Oct 25, 2017

Do I know people? Yes

Appreciate the explanation.

Jun 18, 2018
The reason the last of us 1 looked insane on the PS3 was because of asset streaming. At that point they were streaming from a slow Blu Ray disc. Now, naughty dog is streaming assets from a slow HDD. Imagine the jump if they know that every single ps5 has an SSD inside.

I really really hope that all next gen systems have ssds because the second one of them doesn't, all third party devs won't build their engine around SSD speeds.

Plenty of games on the last gen used asset streaming, as they did on the gens before that. Coincidentally, Naughty Dog were one of the early pioneers of texture streaming with the Crash Bandicoot series on the PS1.

As for "slow Blu-ray", data from disks are copied to the HD and steamed from there. Some games benefit from a faster HD, but many are held back by the slow CPUs, which need to initialise data once it's loaded.

And as for third party Devs - SSD's don't require specific coding to use, although optimising content for loading is still possible and beneficial. So they would be used by default, and Devs already dedicate resources to Pro and XBX improvements so further optimisation of content for loading is plausible.

Oct 27, 2017

Edit: one of the forum members here pointed out that the slow HDD was a bottleneck of the recent Spiderman game and I also read that Bluepoint solved a lot of problems in the development of Shadow of the Colossus, when they introduced asset streaming to their engine.

I repeat it over and over again. SSD are not just for loading times, they will allow for better games!
Thanks, I see why it is so important now. I'm hoping for SSD too

Status
Not open for further replies.