• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I"m curious about the "new" features too. I'm think Microsoft is going to focus on play anywhere, xcloud, streaming etc. etc. In other words, they are going to hit the services aspect hard. Sony...I'm honestly not sure. I don't see them launching new PSVR hardware along the PS5 but who knows.

I was literally just thinking about your last statement lol. Lots of casuals will see random articles/videos from games sites or news sites that cover games. This gen, the ps4 was the lead console and is what pretty much every journalist used. I'm curious what impact that had on casuals and sales.

Yeah i can see a boat load of "features of XBOX LIVE" or just Xbox in general as they move closer and closer to becoming that platform which will work on multiple devices. I expect some type of addition to gamepass too. Well, we already know about ultimate, but i think there are more things still unannounced.

ahah yeah, i was thinking back on how i had personal conversations with other gamers and also with my observation of the social media trends.i still remember arguments on "BUT can it do 1080p? lol" . not once did i hear the price as a reason for why they chose one over the other. maybe as a bullet point for list wars but not for a general base of argument on why they want one over the other.

Lets hope they both knock it out the park with first impressions on these new babies. exciting times!@!

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Price is honestly irrelevant at a console launch because the console will sell out regardless. Having a lower priced console will help to accelerate uptake of new gen consoles in year 2/3 when production is able to catch up to consumer demand, but then console prices can be cut in year 2 or 3 with aggresive cost reduction like with what Sony achieved on PS3.

A lower priced console doesn't come for free though, and the lower specs will cause more issues for games and game devs in general. In principle it kinda even defeats the whole purpose of a new-gen console which is to move the hardware performance baseline to a more modern performance level -- having a gimped low spec SKU works against that, it diminishes the percieved jump in game tech advancement from the previous gen. and even more so in a market with mid-gen refreshes and a significant slowdown in process tech progression that stymies what is economically possible at the top end for consoles with modest TDP and silicon budgets.

Choice of global illumination lighting systems, physics and other non-graphics computations using GPU compute, as well as other graphics feature choices that aren't tied to rendering resolutions will be significantly held back by having to also target a weaker box.

It's not about can it run after the fact, after you already have a fully working game. It's about what can you make.

Conceptual game design during pre-production is rife with decisions on ideas that have to be thown out because the target hardware spec. isn't powerful enough to realise those ideas. And in an age where games have been designed more and more around GPU capabilities after many gens of working with conparatively weak console CPUs, maximising GPU performance for a next-gen console has never been more important to opening more technological doors for devs to realise their creative visions.

A weak console hardware spec. works entirely against that.

It's not even just opening up more game technology avenues for developers. A higher performance target baseline can also aid development workflow, which can have an even more dramatic effect.

I'd even argue this the single most important black mark against the multi-SKU approach.

Higher base specs mean technology that allows devs to work smarter and be more efficient can be leveraged. Procedural methods for animation, asset creation etc, even raytracing can improve content iteration processes and are all great examples of tech. that can radically improve developer workflow, meaning less time to make games of a similar size and fidelity; leading either to higher fidelity games or even larger, richer and more detailed gameworlds.

To me the only arguments for a multi-SKU approach are commercial ones (and they are few and far outweighed by the disadvantages).

The advantages for a single fixed hardware spec that pushes hardware performance as far as is economincally practical, are legion and the reason why console have existed and been so successful in the first place.

A lot of posters in their enthusiasm for other non-console platforms seem to quickly forget this.

I agree that what you have here is a possible and reasonable outcome and expectation, but I think modern hardware design principles can mitigate issues, and that it's possible to create 1080p and 4k "next gen" systems that don't hamstring developers.

The traditional approach to console design is putting a box together and throwing it out to the devs. The devs then build their game to utilize the capability of the platform. In such a case, a platform with a significant weakness would be an issue devs would have to work around, as you suggest.

There's this prevailing misconception that game graphics, mechanics and game systems technology are infinitely scaleable and that lowering resolution is a silver bullet that means you can run the most complex and technically advanced games on a target spec as low as a smartphone, as long as the CPU remains the same... it's a myth.

Digital Foundry got a hold of a whitepaper MS issued to devs during Scorpios development (this was Jan 2017, before they collaborated with MS on the spec reveal in April of that year):
The whitepaper also reveals that rasterisation efficiency increases in line with resolution - an interesting metric shared by Microsoft is that an unnamed first-party title running at 1080p sees the number of pixels processed increased by a factor of 3.5x in the leap to 4K, not the 4x we would assume.
In this instance, it's the same exact game, same settings, scaled from 1080p to 4k. As of now, we know Scarlett is two platforms. I think developing each console with those resolution targets will best allow them to hit their price targets, and minimize impact to devs. I've never made a game, but I would think it's easier for them to change the resolution, than to tweak a bunch of other stuff.

Before you even get as far as having a content complete game to test and lower resolution on, you have to design a game for a given minimum target hardware spec. When it comes to the core game design there will be systems, mechanics and even graphics technology choices that will be limited/restricted by having to target a hardware config that is significantly weaker than all other platforms you are targeting; even if the only element significantly weaker is the GPU (the limitations will be considerably worse if it has less RAM).

We're moving beyond this design approach, and Scorpio is the proof in the pudding. Scorpio was designed with specific game capability in mind - they were building the platform to a very specific target (900p-1080p Xbox One games scaled to 4k). They did this by using their performance analysis tool (PIX) and thousands of hardware simulations to create the most optimum hardware to achieve their desired capability target at a given BOM. I believe this is how next gen platforms are being developed (by Xbox at the very least); rather than designing a game for a given minimum hardware target, design the minimum hardware target based on the expectations of a next gen game.

The biggest question my expectation opens up is: what's a next gen game? This is where some educated guesswork, extrapolation, and dev feedback are needed.

I think it's absolutely possible to create a 1080p and 4k next gen platform, where the only (major) difference is resolution, and maintain parity on the other effects and performance, If the platforms are designed around this goal from the beginning. This kind of scalability can be achieved if it's part of their design goal - which it most certainly is.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Would you say Epic Game store is feature rich? Would you say it would give the same experience people now come to expect from a launcher? Because Epic Store doesn't even have a cart.

And honestly the options steam has for Friend launcher, library organization, big picture mode among being able to use it on MaC OS and Linux is a big deal.
So I would say the features steam has is one of the biggest take away's on top of the money people have invested.

That correlates to console ecosystem. If you own Halo, gears, forza, red dead, among other titles digitally are you going to throw away all your playtime/progression?
Answer is probably no.
You will stay in that ecosystem.
Same is for if you have an MMO you play regularly if it changes where it is console wise, then thats a issue.

Do you think people would want to start over?
That's the idea people are trying to get across to you.

This entire gen Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony are trying with different success to keep you into their ecosystem.
If you think someone who is heavily invested in PSN has subs, has a good size digital library will move over to xbox if his library is accessible on the new Playstation you are sadly misguided.
If there is a hot game that is exclusive to the Epic Store, people will flock there to get it despite it not being feature rich.

People will always play on PSN despite it not being a patch of skin on Xbox Live or the services that Microsoft is pushing out. People will get Nintendo consoles, a platform where prices on exclusives rarely see discounts for a long time and sports weaker tech because their first party is that good and every now and again they get a feature that resonates with gamers (Switch undocked, Wii controls).....and the online is not all that either.

Eventually, there are a good amount of people that will own the Switch that never owned a Wii U. Microsoft is losing gamers this generation that they had last generation despite the fact that they had playtime and progression, achievements on their ecosystem. In the grand scheme of things, these are things that mainly the hardcore care about and the younger age groups. I would get a game last generation and look up what the achievement list or trophies were, and try and get as many as possible, but as I have grown up they rarely even register when I get a game.

Apart from this, entertainment is cheaper today, and way more accessible than it has ever been. Gaming is competing with streaming options to a far greater degree than it did in previous generations. The ecosystem only matters in as far as he generation goes, the moment people have to get a new console, it becomes a new start. This is why a platform holder can have one average generation and bounce back or have a great generation and see a decline. This is the history of gaming and it is not changing just because digital has become a thing. Nintendo was there when digital was growing last generation it did not stop the Wii U from being a commercial flop. The transition to digital is also not what is driving Switch sales, it is the ability to have a console that offers a mobile solution.

The hardcore will not change consoles because their minds are made up long before consoles even come out. They are too invested in what Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo put out to ever change. The casuals have no such issues. By the way, the library does not matter whether it is digital or physical, you always have it tied to an account if it is the former and you have a media if it is the latter. What matters is whether there is something in a game that keeps you coming back to it. Most single player games do not have that, multiplayer games lose out to better multiplayer games or the moment there is another iteration to the game....so they slowly die out. These phenomena do not change because how people consume games has changed from going to a physical store to pre-loading games. That thing you are describing as being misguided has happened to Microsoft and Nintendo and the latter has improved from where the Wii U was.

Guys really need to stop this mindset that because someone bought a game from PSN or XBL, they will always buy from there, or that those games have a longer lasting power because they are digital and not physical. People will be investing in a console for games that they can play for years to come, not games that they played and have stopped caring about.

Last edited:

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
For what purpose may I ask ? Just 1 min faster load times ??
Lol..... load times are one of those things you never appreciate until its a problem. Look at it this way..... current gen consoles use about 5GB of RAM when running a game. Using a HDD that translates to anywhere between 30sec to 1min load times. So say next gen games use around 15GB of RAM for games, that becomes 90secs and 3mins load times. Just imagine waiting 3 minutes between very COD match, or 90 secs between every SFV match, or 3 mins every time you die in a game like Bloodborne (where you die alot).

On another note though, an maybe even more importantly, having an SSD allows devs build better games from a design standpoint.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
If there is a hot game that is exclusive to the Epic Store, people will flock there to get it despite it not being feature rich.

People will always play on PSN despite it not being a patch of skin on Xbox Live or the services that Microsoft is pushing out. People will get Nintendo consoles, a platform where prices on exclusives rarely see discounts for a long time and sports weaker tech because their first party is that good and every now and again they get a feature that resonates with gamers (Switch undocked, Wii controls).....and the online is not all that either.

Eventually, there are a good amount of people that will own the Switch that never owned a Wii U. Microsoft is losing gamers this generation that they had last generation despite the fact that they had playtime and progression, achievements on their ecosystem. In the grand scheme of things, these are things that mainly the hardcore care about and the younger age groups. I would get a game last generation and look up what the achievement list or trophies were, and try and get as many as possible, but as I have grown up they rarely even register when I get a game.

Apart from this, entertainment is cheaper today, and way more accessible than it has ever been. Gaming is competing with streaming options to a far greater degree than it did in previous generations. The ecosystem only matters in as far as he generation goes, the moment people have to get a new console, it becomes a new start. This is why a platform holder can have one average generation and bounce back or have a great generation and see a decline. This is the history of gaming and it is not changing just because digital has become a thing. Nintendo was there when digital was growing last generation it did not stop the Wii U from being a commercial flop. The transition to digital is also not what is driving Switch sales, it is the ability to have a console that offers a mobile solution.

The hardcore will not change consoles because their minds are made up long before consoles even come out. They are too invested in what Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo put out to ever change. The casuals have no such issues. By the way, the library does not matter whether it is digital or physical, you always have it tied to an account if it is the former and you have a media if it is the latter. What matters is whether there is something in a game that keeps you coming back to it. Most single player games do not have that, multiplayer games lose out to better multiplayer games or the moment there is another iteration to the game....so they slowly die out. These phenomena do not change because how people consume games has changed from going to a physical store to pre-loading games. That thing you are describing as being misguided has happened to Microsoft and Nintendo and the latter has improved from where the Wii U was.

Why does every response from you have a giant essay?

Literally the information for digital vs physical is out there, the evidence of people wanting to stay where their games are is out there. Yes, if there is a game that is a must play on a different store people will get that launcher or said console.
But to say that people who are heavily invested will not stay in that ecosystem is it treats their previous purchases and time well is being short sighted.

Over 60-70 percent of people who own a switch own a xbox/PS4. It's considered for most as a secondary system. For some who travel or use it more maybe their primary.
But people will keep playing on the system they are invested in. People left Xbox for playstation because of many factors. One being digital libraries were not that big last gen like at all. Very few were buying big games digitally.

It's changed this gen as prices for games are much cheaper, and games go on sale more regularly on PSN/XBL.
The thing that made people change was the message the company was putting out about how they would consume their content. On top of higher price tag than the competition.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
This Sony patent recently got an update. I'm not sure exactly for what, but it mentions ray tracing using kd-trees. This was not part of the update, nor was it the assignment to SIE, which happened in 2016.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/10255650.html

Magnetic glove tracking for VR

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/10254833.html

FOV throttling to reduce motion discomfort in VR

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/10255715.html

Getting interesting by the day... Just missing info about a wireless receiver accessory for VR2

Jan 21, 2019
Lol..... load times are one of those things you never appreciate until its a problem. Look at it this way..... current gen consoles use about 5GB of RAM when running a game. Using a HDD that translates to anywhere between 30sec to 1min load times. So say next gen games use around 15GB of RAM for games, that becomes 90secs and 3mins load times. Just imagine waiting 3 minutes between very COD match, or 90 secs between every SFV match, or 3 mins every time you die in a game like Bloodborne (where you die alot).

On another note though, an maybe even more importantly, having an SSD allows devs build better games from a design standpoint.

Someone should make a threadmark explaining that the benefits of SSDs don't stop with loading times but better, bigger and richer games.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Count me in then, just need some new Moves because I can't find this Gen 1 available anywhere 🤦‍♀️
I think they're rev'ing the Move controller too.

Are you the source for this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/bay0pe/rumor_e3_2019_predictions_leaked_link_in_post/

SOURCE

https://generacionxbox.com/filtrado-e3-2019-xbox/

• The show will start with a MCC trailer of the PC edition, this will be followed by a new Halo Infinite Trailer y gameplay showing a 2020 release in time with Scarlett.
  • Up next Gears 5 gameplay with a holiday 2019 release, this will continue with a gameplay of Gears Tactics.
  • New gameplay of Battletoads and Ori and the Will of the Wisps.
  • New expansions for Sea of Thieves.
  • A new mech game by Piranha Bytes.
  • There will be a new studio acquisition.
  • World premiere of a Dino Crisis reboot.
  • New Splinter Cell game.
  • Playground will show a tease of the new Fable game.
  • Ninja Theory will show their new IP "Bleeding Edge".
  • Rare will show a new IP for the next gen systems.
  • The next gen consoles will be revealed, followed with new functions for the Xbox Live service and more xCloud information.

🤔

*EDIT* Turns out "Leocarian" had leaked this originally according to the Reddit post, my mistake.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Why does every response from you have a giant essay?

Literally the information for digital vs physical is out there, the evidence of people wanting to stay where their games are is out there. Yes, if there is a game that is a must play on a different store people will get that launcher or said console.
But to say that people who are heavily invested will not stay in that ecosystem is it treats their previous purchases and time well is being short sighted.

Over 60-70 percent of people who own a switch own a xbox/PS4. It's considered for most as a secondary system. For some who travel or use it more maybe their primary.
But people will keep playing on the system they are invested in. People left Xbox for playstation because of many factors. One being digital libraries were not that big last gen like at all. Very few were buying big games digitally.

It's changed this gen as prices for games are much cheaper, and games go on sale more regularly on PSN/XBL.
The thing that made people change was the message the company was putting out about how they would consume their content. On top of higher price tag than the competition.
I had the opportunity to play Watchdogs and Bloodborne on year one of the PS4, did the same with games like NBA2K and FIFA. I am not going back to those games, every friend that played them back then is not picking them up again whether they are digital or physical.

I had an opportunity to play Forza Horizon 2 when it came to the Xbox One, I am not touching it because two better games have come out since then, the same with Motorsport. Tekken 5 is the best Tekken game I have played, DoA4 the best DoA title, I am not going back a gen or two to fire them up.

You are basing everything on what? Progression. I know gamers from their fourties to some who are just entering their teens. Progression does not matter much unless you are looking at online games and in most cases, that progression only matters until the next iteration comes up. You cannot carry over FUT currency in FIFA, you start at the bottom at COD each year...Forza? You have credits to just start up then build from there, that is how much progression counts, and you can apply it to every game that comes out. The lasting power of games has not changed either.

How a console does will always come down to what features it has and how well it resonates with consumers. And as shown, having the best of one thing does not guarantee success either.

As for the Switch, I do not know why people are running with that it is mainly a secondary system using data mainly from the US.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Cross play is a huge feature in my opinion. I have a lot of friends that only game on the Playstation, having a way to play third party games with them without having to invest in new hardware would be huge. It is not that the tech is not there, it is simply platform holders trying to keep everything gated in their platform.

But if there is no cross play for the ps5 and the console is very similar in performance and same price as the Xbox, would you still buy the Xbox if your friends stick to ps?

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Oh lord... the internet is thirsty for the leaky pipes.

Well we are in a post GDC 2019 world.. People are expecting leaks to start happening since judge the consoles will be released in 2020.

I'd be really surprised if they did delay the launch of the new consoles for 2021.. And personally I wouldn't really like that because I'm getting really tired of the CPU bottlenecks, there's literally almost no evolution in terms of physics and AI.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I had the opportunity to play Watchdogs and Bloodborne on year one of the PS4, did the same with games like NBA2K and FIFA. I am not going back to those games, every friend that played them back then is not picking them up again whether they are digital or physical.

I had an opportunity to play Forza Horizon 2 when it came to the Xbox One, I am not touching it because two better games have come out since then, the same with Motorsport. Tekken 5 is the best Tekken game I have played, DoA4 the best DoA title, I am not going back a gen or two to fire them up.

You are basing everything on what? Progression. I know gamers from their fourties to some who are just entering their teens. Progression does not matter much unless you are looking at online games and in most cases, that progression only matters until the next iteration comes up. You cannot carry over FUT currency in FIFA, you start at the bottom at COD each year...Forza? You have credits to just start up then build from there, that is how much progression counts, and you can apply it to every game that comes out. The lasting power of games has not changed either.

How a console does will always come down to what features it has and how well it resonates with consumers. And as shown, having the best of one thing does not guarantee success either.

As for the Switch, I do not know why people are running with that it is mainly a secondary system using data mainly from the US.

So if you have hundreds of hours in a game like let's Say GTA V that continually has tons of people playing it, and buying it digitally you will throw all those hours away to go to a new platform?

Please.

I have hundreds of hours on many PC titles that have a good following on console. I in no way am going to put that time into them again on a new platform. I will continue on the one I've heavily invested in.

I'm heavily invested in PSN, and have a couple big games digitally. I won't rebuy them on a new platform. If my library carries over to PS5 then I'm there at the beginning.
I think that's everyone's stance that's been discussing this with you, but you fail to see how many people play. Like if your a regular who plays Siege a couple times a week, your not going to start over on another platform where you have to unlock every operator from scratch.

You either will keep playing on that console, stop playing, or carry your progress over to the new console if it's permitted.
All signs point to games being BC for next gen, and with that would mean syncing your progress as well.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Someone should make a threadmark explaining that the benefits of SSDs don't stop with loading times but better, bigger and richer games.
I second this..... its easy for all t talk about/focus on the big things but its lost to many how these things all relate. We just can't be expecting 16GB - 20GB+ of RAMin these consoles and not have an SSD of some sort, that will be the single most stupid design choice MS/Sony can do. The same way how going from 512MB of RAM to 5GB of RAM necessitated running everything off an internal HDD.

And the load times are just the obvious benefits, and not even the most important one. Especially when we expect to say games with many many many more NPCs on screen nex gen, an SSD ensures that they all pretty much look different and that kinda data can be streamed in when needed which result to more efficient use of RAM.

Unfortunately it seems easier to just talk about TFs, higher rez and framerates......

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
I'm getting really tired of the CPU bottlenecks, there's literally almost no evolution in terms of physics and AI.

I'm looking forward to seeing how games like FIFA will look like next gen and i mean from a physics and AI perspective. There should be some pretty big improvements in animations, ball physics maybe even clipping

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
But if there is no cross play for the ps5 and the console is very similar in performance and same price as the Xbox, would you still buy the Xbox if your friends stick to ps?
Personally I think cross play is one of the most double edged arguments out there. I can understand it being ok between console and PC, but it makes zero sense to me why any console will need it between consoles. Unless you are MS..... and I can bet my life that if MS were in sony's position this gen they wouldn't be doing anything crossplay related nor releasing their games on the PC.

The only reason MS is pushing so hard for crossplay is cause (as you have suggested) it gives less of an incentive to buy into another platform.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
The only reason MS is pushing so hard for crossplay is cause (as you have suggested) it gives less of an incentive to buy into another platform.

Exactly. It has nothing to do with "arrogant Sony". From a business perspective it's a no brainer and as you have said, MS would have had the same stance if they were is Sony's position. Sony would basically be giving them their whole player base for free and while it would be very generous of them and it would make Xbox players (and ps players who have friends who play on Xbox) happy, it wouldn't be a wise business move.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
So if you have hundreds of hours in a game like let's Say GTA V that continually has tons of people playing it, and buying it digitally you will throw all those hours away to go to a new platform?

Please.

I have hundreds of hours on many PC titles that have a good following on console. I in no way am going to put that time into them again on a new platform. I will continue on the one I've heavily invested in.

I'm heavily invested in PSN, and have a couple big games digitally. I won't rebuy them on a new platform. If my library carries over to PS5 then I'm there at the beginning.
I think that's everyone's stance that's been discussing this with you, but you fail to see how many people play. Like if your a regular who plays Siege a couple times a week, your not going to start over on another platform where you have to unlock every operator from scratch.

You either will keep playing on that console, stop playing, or carry your progress over to the new console if it's permitted.
All signs point to games being BC for next gen, and with that would mean syncing your progress as well.
Why did the Wii sell so well? It was because they (Nintendo) came up with a new control scheme that was appealing to gamers.

Why did the 360 sell well? It launched early, it was easy to develop for, the memory footprint was also much better and third party developers were now putting games on it on day one and they were performing better early on.

Why did the ps3 struggle compared to other generations and lose market share? It was expensive, hard to develop for, third party games were not performing as well on a technical level.

This generation, Sony kept it simple. They have a console that was easier to develop for than the base Xbox One and S, better console overall, it was cheaper at launch and for some months before Microsoft dropped Kinect and they did not make the mistake Microsoft made when they revealed their online DRM requirements.

This is the biggest problem with people who put way too much weight on back compat, it is a view that takes away from the key decisions that drive decisions and that gamers pick up on. It has nothing to do with ecosystem backed BC. For most gamers it is this is what I have always got, or this is popular, or this equipment manufacturer is messing up. Or a combination of other factors not solely attributed to the platform holder.

I also had this debate with someone else some time back and I said that if you want to continue playing the older titles, you always can so long as the servers are running. All you have to do is pop out the console and play these games, you are not losing anything by changing an ecosystem. This is why backwards compatibility has never been a big issue despite hardcore gamers stating that it is, and it does not become existentially more important just because some people bought some digital games.

The infatuation with backwards compatibility overstates the importance of old games when compared to new ones. COD and Battlefield that launched with the consoles are not relevant today, Assassins Creed games like Black Flag are no longer relevant either. Games like Bloodborne that were great when the console launched and helped drive sales are not relevant today to most who owned the title outside talk of how great a game it was. People play games and move on, it was like that before I started gaming and it will be the same when I stop.

I have done this every generation. I choose a console that suits my needs first and foremost. If there is a need to get another console, that will always come later. A good amount of times I end up going against the grain, and that at times perplexes even my friends. It is how I got to gaming on the Dreamcast and Xbox.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Why did the Wii sell so well? It was because they (Nintendo) came up with a new control scheme that was appealing to gamers.

Why did the 360 sell well? It launched early, it was easy to develop for, the memory footprint was also much better and third party developers were now putting games on it on day one and they were performing better early on.

Why did the ps3 struggle compared to other generations and lose market share? It was expensive, hard to develop for, third party games were not performing as well on a technical level.

This generation, Sony kept it simple. They have a console that was easier to develop for than the base Xbox One and S, better console overall, it was cheaper at launch and for some months before Microsoft dropped Kinect and they did not make the mistake Microsoft made when they revealed their online DRM requirements.

This is the biggest problem with people who put way too much weight on back compat, it is a view that takes away from the key decisions that drive decisions and that gamers pick up on. It has nothing to do with ecosystem.

I also had this debate with someone else some time back and I said that if you want to continue playing the older titles, you always can so long as the servers are running. All you have to do is pop out the console and play these games, you are not losing anything by changing an ecosystem. This is why backwards compatibility has never been a big issue despite hardcore gamers stating that it is, and it does not become existentially more important just because some people bought some digital games.

The infatuation with backwards compatibility overstates the importance of old games when compared to new ones. COD and Battlefield that launched with the consoles are not relevant today, Assassins Creed games like Black Flag are no longer relevant either. Games like Bloodborne that were great when the console launched and helped drive sales are not relevant today to most who owned the title outside talk of how great a game it was. People play games and move on, it was like that before I started gaming and it will be the same when I stop.

I have done this every generation. I choose a console that suits my needs first and foremost. If there is a need to get another console, that will always come later. A good amount of times I end up going against the grain, and that at times perplexes even my friends. It is how I got to gaming on the Dreamcast and Xbox.

What does this giant wall of text you keep typing have to do with what people are discussing? We are simply discussing Digital libraries and ecosystems on consoles.

You keep bringing random ass shit to your responses with a giant wall of text, instead of simply explaining your view on the points being discussed. You don't think digital libraries will keep people on a console.
Me and many others think that people will not want to throw away money, simple as that. Which is why I brought up Epic Game Store. People don't want to move over to Epic game store not because they don;t want to play the game they are excited about. But because as a launcher it lacks features and won't incorporate their library.

Origin among others allows Steam overlay/friends list now for some of their games primarily Apex Legends. Ubisoft allows steam friends as well.
People will go where their games are. Right now with digital being fairly big and continually to grow, people will be more locked into a ecosystem. if they have few purchases for Digital then you would be right that they will go where ever the game they want to play is on or where their friends are.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I think you should get your actual insider sources vetted by a mod if you want your 15 minutes of Era fame. That, or stop dropping this kind of vague shit that serves absolutely no-one.

This brand of 'insiderism' is incredibly annoying.

I think being in that position is pretty tough, especially if everyone know's you've been 'verafied'. It might be best for these members to stay out of prediction sort of threads as it gets very confusing for the readers - do we take it as leaks, educated guesses, just random predictions?

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
With all other specs being the same, would you guys prefer:

-14TF GPU + 2 TB HDD

Or

-12TF GPU + 1 TB SSD*

Last edited:

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think being in that position is pretty tough, especially if everyone know's you've been 'verafied'. It might be best for these members to stay out of prediction sort of threads as it gets very confusing for the readers - do we take it as leaks, educated guesses, just random predictions?

His 'verafied' tag means zilch in this regard, but people will still assume his words hold weight regardless. That's the annoying part.

That is, unless mods can vouch for the guy actually having insider knowledge.
We've seen this song and dance dozens of times here and on the old board and 9/10 times it's people out there regurgitating old rumors and fishing for attention. Not saying that's the case here but there's no need to be vague about it.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I think you should get your actual insider sources vetted by a mod if you want your 15 minutes of Era fame. That, or stop dropping this kind of vague shit that serves absolutely no-one.

This brand of 'insiderism' is incredibly annoying.
Yup, I appreciate people giving inside information, but these posts are just getting silly. And honestly, I think this person is just repeating already established rumours and making the rest up.
It's only confusing because they refuse to say if it's a wishlist, inside info, educated guesses, or a mix.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Exactly. It has nothing to do with "arrogant Sony". From a business perspective it's a no brainer and as you have said, MS would have had the same stance if they were is Sony's position. Sony would basically be giving them their whole player base for free and while it would be very generous of them and it would make Xbox players (and ps players who have friends who play on Xbox) happy, it wouldn't be a wise business move.

As a consumer, it doesn't really matter to me whether it's a wise business move or not. It's a consumer friendly move. Sometimes it takes the hungry company that is trying to claw back marketshare to push the industry forward

Status
Not open for further replies.