• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This March and 14 TF keeps showing up, either there is some truth to it or people recycling the same first rumor.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
This March and 14 TF keeps showing up, either there is some truth to it or people recycling the same first rumor.

Yeah, I'm afraid that might be what's happening. Still, unless someone in-the-know wants to debunk any of it then I guess there's not much harm in discussing it in the meantime.

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
Ok, saw this on the old forum but I don't know anything about the site reporting this:

https://segmentnext.com/2019/03/27/rumor-ps5-to-introduce-ps-plus-premium/

Yeah... umm... discuss? lol

The 8K part is omegalol to me. People haven't even really adopted 4K yet and its not really a standard to begin with (at least for now) next-gen it will be a lot easier to make 4K a standard. How many people even have 8K tvs and let alone 8k content out there? Unless Sony is also trying to push their 8K tvs as well next year or something I still don't see the point of 8K scaling. I guess just a nice bonus? I don't know lol.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Ok, saw this on the old forum but I don't know anything about the site reporting this:

Prepare for battle?

65-1-metroplex-fires.gif

Py37DDz.gif

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The 8K part is omegalol to me. People haven't even really adopted 4K yet and its not really a standard to begin with (at least for now) next-gen it will be a lot easier to make 4K a standard. How many people even have 8K tvs and let alone 8k content out there? Unless Sony is also trying to push their 8K tvs as well next year or something I still don't see the point of 8K scaling. I guess just a nice bonus? I don't know lol.

Well the next gen consoles will be fully HDMI 2.1 compliant, so 8K capabilities will be there. Pushing 8K content is something Sony would have to at least consider since they're in the TV business. Not to mention it'll almost certainly be 8k checkerboarding rather than native so maybe?

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
Well the next gen consoles will be fully HDMI 2.1 compliant, so 8K capabilities will be there. Pushing 8K content is something Sony would have to at least consider since they're in the TV business. Not to mention it'll almost certainly be 8k checkerboarding rather than native so maybe?

Do I want it to be true? Sure, why not, more power is always nice. But I find it hard to believe, that is all The TV part is the only thing that can make somewhat believe this, but until we hear the official word it's a hard sell for me.

For those who want to see the specs from the SegmentNext article

"
PlayStation 5 Specs

• CPU 7nm Ryzen 8 core 16 threads
  • GPU 7nm Navi architecture around 14TF
  • 24GB Gddr6 + 4gb ddr4 for OS
  • 2tb HDD
  • 8k upscaling
"

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Do I want it to be true? Sure, why not, more power is always nice. But I find it hard to believe, that is all.

I'm in the same boat. Let's try to run some numbers...

Native 8K resolution is 7680×4320, which works out to 33,177,600 pixels

Native 4K resolution is 3840x2160, which works out to 8,294,400 pixels

Checkerboard 4K looks like it has varying resolutions from what I can tell, but the upper limit of that seems to be 3200x1800 which works out to 5,760,000 pixels

Assuming 8K CB is using the same technique that comes up to 23,040,000 pixels needed for 8K CB. That's on the high end of things for CB it seems as it looks like lower resolutions can also be used. It also doesn't factor in improvements in the techniques being used in next gen CB techniques.

So yeah, it's a helluva lot of pixels to push even for 8K CB, but not every game is going to push the PS5 anywhere close to its limits so that might leave a lot of headroom for them to do this.

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
I'm in the same boat. Let's try to run some numbers...

Native 8K resolution is 7680×4320, which works out to 33,177,600 pixels

Native 4K resolution is 3840x2160, which works out to 8,294,400 pixels

Checkerboard 4K looks like it has varying resolutions from what I can tell, but the upper limit of that seems to be 3200x1800 which works out to 5,760,000 pixels

Assuming 8K CB is using the same technique that comes up to 23,040,000 pixels needed for 8K CB. That's on the high end of things for CB it seems as it looks like lower resolutions can also be used. It also doesn't factor in improvements in the techniques being used in next gen CB techniques.

So yeah, it's a helluva lot of pixels to push even for 8K CB, but not every game is going to push the PS5 anywhere close to its limits so that might leave a lot of headroom for them to do this.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is CB stand for? Checkboarding I am assuming?

And yes you seem to have a good point there. 8K Upscaling is probably going to be on select titles or rather on very few games. Do you think there will be a Pro version this time around in the next console cycle that can maybe push 8K capabilities even further?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
EDIT. Sorry, had to remove one image as it wasn't applicable.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is CB stand for? Checkboarding I am assuming?

And yes you seem to have a good point there. 8K Upscaling is probably going to be on select titles. Do you think there will be a Pro version this time around in the next console cycle?

Yup, checkerboard rendering. Here're a couple of quick images to illustrate:

CB-1.png

CB-2.jpg

The last example is a very zoomed in image from Horizon Zero Dawn illustrating how close CB rendering gets to the real deal.

As for whether there will be a Pro variant, lol, anyone's guess at this early point I suppose. Either we'll get a Pro or a shorter gen I think.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Because Microsoft has made it quite clear with the Xbox One X that they're not planning on giving up the Powerhouse throne any time soon and going into next-gen they're going to make sure to stay on top of that.

Hence why they're making 2 versions one priced lower for an average consumer/casual and another one for a hardcore gamer/I want maximum dick size.

PS4 Pro was priced at $399 and it was a shit tier console for the price that you pay. Xbox One X at $499 was much more worth it and is capable of quite many feats such as 4K Native RDR 2 and things of that nature. I own both of these consoles and PS4 Pro is nothing more than a better 1080p machine with some exceptions here and there.

They're getting arrogant again because they're ahead of the race. They're staying super quiet for a long time and most of all they refuse to do cross-platform and come up with bullshit excuses. You all remember the Fortnite cross-platform fiasco, it got to the point where Sony had no choice but to cave in after the massive backlash and quite honestly if they do not open up their platform in the future they will start going down the drain.

This is starting to be the repeat behavior of the PlayStation 3. The only thing that's keeping Sony doing well are their games, but if they refuse to do full on BC and full on cross-platform they will fall apart. Things are changing and its time for them to go with the flow.
Is it a shit console also on games like Resident Evil 7, Ace Combat 7, DMC5, Anthem, Kingdom Earth 3, Sekiro or recently Dangerous driving ? Not bad for a shit console when it outperforms your much better and $100 more expensive machine.

I don't want to be offensive but you here you sound like a Microsoft PR man.

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on many.. many factors...how much those companies want eat cost? What type of gimmick they introducing? For example the Reddit leak was talking about camera on the DualShock if I'm not wrong . *Shrugs* people saying that differences between x and pro are negligible too...and according to multiple DF comparation we now know that isn't the case......the reality is that this isn't a mid gen refresh where all the big marketing part is all well and done.....this is the starting line of a new gen and we saw (with og PS4 vs Xbox) what type of echo chamber a 500 gflops difference can generate.

I have not seen anyone say the difference between the two mid-gen refreshes is negligence.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Is it a shit console also on games like Resident Evil 7, Ace Combat 7, DMC5, Anthem, Kingdom Earth 3, Sekiro or recently Dangerous driving ? Not bad for a shit console when it outperforms your much better and $100 more expensive machine.

I don't want to be offensive but you here you sound like a Microsoft PR man.
It is hard to really understand the point that you are trying to make. If any developer wants to make a better looking game, they will be able to do that on the Xbox One X as opposed to the PS4 Pro. This was the main reason as to why games just looked better on the PS4 on the base consoles. A more capable console can always do......well, more.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thread never fails to entertain.
Arrogant Sony strikes again

Just imagine the shitstorm if they announce ps5 without BC
Or imagine ps5 with more power than anacando at the same price.thread will go crazy . This whole narrative of holy Spencer speech will be broken and people will reallize that Spencer says what u like to hear. Just like they were doing vr on 1x and then they dropped it.

So I caught up on this thread .in oast few pages I learned if Sony donesnt launch 2 systems they r arrogant.the more u learn :D

My personal opinion is I hope they don't do 2 systems as the lower end will become the main platform and the higher end platform just gets resolution improvement patch .just like x and pro .non of assets and textures will be improved for stronger machine

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

I think it would more likely just be standard 8K upscaling in the console, although I do imagine that the PS5 would be capable of running games like ZOE2, the KH collections and TLOU Remastered at checkerboard 8K 60fps (maybe only targeting 60fps in TLOU's case).

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Do I want it to be true? Sure, why not, more power is always nice. But I find it hard to believe, that is all The TV part is the only thing that can make somewhat believe this, but until we hear the official word it's a hard sell for me.

"
PlayStation 5 Specs

• 2tb HDD
  • 8k upscaling
"
Would get my nipples hard for sure.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

"
PlayStation 5 Specs

• 2tb HDD
  • 8k upscaling
"
14tf is a pipe dream that's 700$ kind of machine in 2020

Anything above 12 tf for 2020 is a dream for around 499

Jan 17, 2019
Because Microsoft has made it quite clear with the Xbox One X that they're not planning on giving up the Powerhouse throne any time soon and going into next-gen they're going to make sure to stay on top of that.

Hence why they're making 2 versions one priced lower for an average consumer/casual and another one for a hardcore gamer/I want maximum dick size.

PS4 Pro was priced at $399 and it was a shit tier console for the price that you pay. Xbox One X at $499 was much more worth it and is capable of quite many feats such as 4K Native RDR 2 and things of that nature. I own both of these consoles and PS4 Pro is nothing more than a better 1080p machine with some exceptions here and there.

They're getting arrogant again because they're ahead of the race. They're staying super quiet for a long time and most of all they refuse to do cross-platform and come up with bullshit excuses. You all remember the Fortnite cross-platform fiasco, it got to the point where Sony had no choice but to cave in after the massive backlash and quite honestly if they do not open up their platform in the future they will start going down the drain.

This is starting to be the repeat behavior of the PlayStation 3. The only thing that's keeping Sony doing well are their games, but if they refuse to do full on BC and full on cross-platform they will fall apart. Things are changing and its time for them to go with the flow.

Yeah, PS4 Pro would be shit tier console if it was launched simultaneously with X1X. But there is a difference launching it year earlier and for 100$ lower.
Since you said that MS made it quite clear that they will have the most powerful console. Did you know that also Phil Spencer said that?

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
14tf is a pipe dream that's 700$ kind of machine in 2020

Anything above 12 tf for 2020 is a dream for around 499

Honestly, I am not that concerned for the GPU/Tflops - I mean the higher the tflops the nicer it is sure, but CPU is my real concern because the CPUs this gen were holding both of the consoles pretty badly.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Going to bed but I'm curious if this PS Plus Premium rumor will gain any traction. If an insider supports the claim then that will give some credibility to the spec rumor and reveal rumor in the same article.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Going to bed but I'm curious if this PS Plus Premium rumor will gain any traction. If an insider supports the claim then that will give some credibility to the spec rumor and reveal rumor in the same article.
I don't know if it's true, I'm not seeing anything worthwhile in it, access to betas and private servers are nice but not sure if they are something people will be interested in to pay more.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

I can assure you this is fake. The easiest giveaway with bogus leaks is pricing talk. Even developers do not know the retail price either console manufacturer is going to launch at until announced during the reveal. Another easy give away with this article is this "developer" knows the price but has no idea when it will be announced or launched. It's a really poorly done fake rumor.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
This isn't the only place I keep seeing the "Arrogant Sony" comments. Like what is it that sony has done for people to consider them arrogant? boggles my mind!

Mostly just the PS3, though even that was a good-value console (if you liked Blu-ray) that was sold at a massive loss, didn't charge massive amounts for Wi-Fi and HDD upgrades, and had free online.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly just the PS3, though even that was a good-value console (if you liked Blu-ray) that was sold at a massive loss, didn't charge massive amounts for Wi-Fi and HDD upgrades, and had free online.

PS3 was a 12 year ago thing. What is it in particular they've done in recent years for people to keep spreading this "Arrogant Sony" narrative?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
PS3 was a 12 year ago thing. What is it in particular they've done in recent years for people to keep spreading this "Arrogant Sony" narrative?

There are still people spouting FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS and GET A SECOND JOB memes, even 12 years later. In recent years there has been stuff like no BC (technologically impossible in the case of the PS3) and no cross-play (which they have actually started doing in some games despite it actively hurting them), but it's mostly bullshit IMO. The fact that Arrogant MS never became a thing in turn says a lot to me.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Leaks with pricing can be a guesswork, if you're saying PS5 is gonna be 14 TF then there is no way they are selling it for less than $499.

Btw anyone can give a decent idea how much the rumored specs above would cost?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Leaks with pricing can be a guesswork, if you're saying PS5 is gonna be 14 TF then there is no way they are selling it for less than $499.

Btw anyone can give a decent idea how much the rumored specs above would cost?
Anything around 12 tf in2020 is 499 unless Navi is a miracle which I highly doubt.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I can assure you this is fake. The easiest giveaway with bogus leaks is pricing talk. Even developers do not know the retail price either console manufacturer is going to launch at until announced during the reveal. Another easy give away with this article is this "developer" knows the price but has no idea when it will be announced or launched. It's a really poorly done fake rumor.
At this point any rumor/leak not coming from Kotaku/WSJ/Eurogamer is likely made up, those are the places with the strongest sources and so far they haven't given us any hint. I think the only thing we kinda know is that the gpus will be more powerful than Google Stadia.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
There are still people spouting FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS and GET A SECOND JOB memes, even 12 years later. In recent years there has been stuff like no BC (technologically impossible in the case of the PS3) and no cross-play (which they have actually started doing in some games despite it actively hurting them), but it's mostly bullshit IMO. The fact that Arrogant MS never became a thing in turn says a lot to me.

To be fair a lot of people just called MS shit in general and their sales reflected that. Or basically called them arrogant during the whole indie Dev fiasco. But the reason that "Arrogant MS" didn't catch on is the same reason that "$ONy" was never a thing; people attach a meme or designator to a company and then it belongs to that company. Just like the 360 being "Dude Bro" despite Sony having a nice stable of shooters at the time and MS having a variety of quality Indies. Or "PS3 has no games" living way past the point of Sony releasing amazing 1st party content. Also fanatics. Folks love their plastic boxes.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
To be fair a lot of people just called MS shit in general and their sales reflected that. Or basically called them arrogant during the whole indie Dev fiasco. But the reason that "Arrogant MS" didn't catch on is the same reason that "$ONy" was never a thing; people attach a meme or designator to a company and then it belongs to that company. Just like the 360 being "Dude Bro" despite Sony having a nice stable of shooters at the time and MS having a variety of quality Indies. Or "PS3 has no games" living way past the point of Sony releasing amazing 1st party content. Also fanatics. Folks love their plastic boxes.

Agreed. That's mainly what I meant, it really boils down to arbitrary memes.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Incentive to give the hardcore a better machine that won't be lacking immediately. $500 now is a lot different than $500/$600 back in 2006 btw.
And let me repeat the question; How is that exactly going to help Sony? All that a $500 would do vs 400, is that the customer would have $100 less to spend on games or PS+. Remember that no matter if they sell the console at 400 or 500, the profit they get from the console is basically zero. So them charging 500, means they LOSE 100 dollars that the customer would otherwise spend on other things that would actually make a profit. Like a 2nd controller, or a game, or PS+. Making PS5 100 more than it needed to be is a loss to Sony, your "good will" doesn't mean anything when it means you end up with less disposable income to spend on more profitable Sony products.

Jan 21, 2019
Considering a couple of TV brands like Samsung and LG are touting 8K AI upscaling, I would not be suprised if the PS5 had some upscaling capabilities inside the system. That would also allow for hell of a marketing game. "Not just 4k but 8K with our AI upscaler that gets smarter with every minute played on Playstation(TM)."

I don't know but this specific detail makes this supposed leak kinda believable. AI upscaling is the next big thing to introduce 8K TV's and rolling such a feature out with the PS5 launch would be pretty smart for Sony.

All that if the PS5 is 499, which I would love. Tech has gotten so much more expensive, especially phones and such. So why should consoles starve themselves of power by sticking to a price that might not be necessary anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
And let me repeat the question; How is that exactly going to help Sony? All that a $500 would do vs 400, is that the customer would have $100 less to spend on games or PS+. Remember that no matter if they sell the console at 400 or 500, the profit they get from the console is basically zero. So them charging 500, means they LOSE 100 dollars that the customer would otherwise spend on other things that would actually make a profit. Like a 2nd controller, or a game, or PS+. Making PS5 100 more than it needed to be is a loss to Sony, your "good will" doesn't mean anything when it means you end up with less disposable income to spend on more profitable Sony products.

It's not about goodwill. How does help not have the most affordable or the most impressure hardware. How does getting squeezed on both sides help Sony?

Oct 25, 2017
If is 499 and it risk @50% to not be the most powerful console and on the market there's another full HD console that play the same multiplat big hits games for 299 or 399 ..well then...there are lots of things that doesn't work in one sku console strategy
The Xbox has been cheaper most of the gen and it can play all the new multiplat games. Has it changed anything?

You still have to keep the context of the market in mind. Sony's market is far bigger. A cheaper SKU would certainly help MS but it wouldn't necessarily come at the cost of Sony's single SKU.

Everything doesn't have to be "Oh boy, this move is going to kill the other one!". It can just be about helping the company in particular making the move.

Oct 25, 2017
At this point any rumor/leak not coming from Kotaku/WSJ/Eurogamer is likely made up, those are the places with the strongest sources and so far they haven't given us any hint. I think the only thing we kinda know is that the gpus will be more powerful than Google Stadia.
Yep, those are the big ones to look out for. The fact they haven't said a peep means we are still a ways off.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
The Xbox has been cheaper most of the gen and it can play all the new multiplat games. Has it changed anything?

You still have to keep the context of the market in mind. Sony's market is far bigger. A cheaper SKU would certainly help MS but it wouldn't necessarily come at the cost of Sony's single SKU.

Everything doesn't have to be "Oh boy, this move is going to kill the other one!". It can just be about helping the company in particular making the move.
There is a market for consoles and gaming that players are looking to get into. Not many people end up getting multiple consoles either.

If Nintendo and Microsoft do wildly better from 2020 going forward, it will mean that Sony is losing market share. If Stadia and game streaming services also catch on, it is likely that established players will be losing out.......it is just how the business works.

Oct 25, 2017
There is a market for consoles and gaming that players are looking to get into. Not many people end up getting multiple consoles either.

If Nintendo and Microsoft do wildly better from 2020 going forward, it will mean that Sony is losing market share. If Stadia and game streaming services also catch on, it is likely that established players will be losing out.......it is just how the business works.
Nah.

It depends on how well Sony announces their console. As long as Sony doesn't screw themselves over, they will be fine. At their absolute worst, they still managed to sell on par with their biggest competitor last gen. If they launch even remotely well, there isn't anything to worry about. Sony has the go to worldwide console for HD gaming. That won't change next gen.

Nintendo isn't going after power and 3rd party. MS has a much more limited market even though they go after a similar audience as Sony. It means Sony has that space all for their own.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
but CPU is my real concern because the CPUs this gen were holding both of the consoles pretty badly.
No more than every other console generation. That said - it 'would' be amusing if desktop class CPUs made it solely for the entertainment of watching "PC master race" complain about every future console port being "bad" because they don't autoscale to 60fps anymore.

Checkerboard 4K looks like it has varying resolutions from what I can tell
Not 'really'.
CB gets its name from the pixel-pattern shape, which distributed white/black squares exactly half each. While you can go with different granularity of checkerboard pattern (eg. quads instead of single pixels) you still end up with the same half-way split of the target resolution. So 4 Milion pixels for 4k.

While this doesn't stop you from using other (higher/lower res) setups that reconstruct first and then 'also' up/downscale to final resolution, the same holds for 'native' rendering too, so that's just conflating two different things together.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Nah.

It depends on how well Sony announces their console. As long as Sony doesn't screw themselves over, they will be fine. At their absolute worst, they still managed to sell on par with their biggest competitor last gen. If they launch even remotely well, there isn't anything to worry about. Sony has the go to worldwide console for HD gaming. That won't change next gen.
How many consoles did Sony sell in the PS2 era, and what was their market share as a total?
How many consoles did they sell the next generation and what was their market share as a total?
Microsoft with the 360 and Nintendo with the Wii cut a lot into what was Sony's established market share. They re-established themselves this generation as the to go to platform holder with the Wii U floundering and the Xbox One disastrous launch.

If Nintendo, Microsoft, Google etc perform better, it will come with Sony losing dominance. It is just how business works, how it will continue to work......that will not change next gen either.

Status
Not open for further replies.